Long serial cable to load bin - question

Bronze Member
Username: Rexandpansat

Post Number: 62
Has anyone tried using a long (about 20 ft)cable to load bin file to a receiver (Pansat 2800A) ?
My Pansat and PC are far away from each other.
To load bin file, I have to remove all cables and take the receiver to the PC. I do not know if such a long cable will work and if it will, where can I buy it from ?

Advance thanks for any ideas.

Gold Member
Username: Kirankumar

Kenya

Post Number: 1786
it will work,just make your own it is cheaper

Bronze Member
Username: Lochness90

Post Number: 11
RS-232 cable lengths
bps-----------Maximum Length (feet)
2400----------400
4800----------200
9600----------100
19200----------50
38400----------25
57600----------16
115200---------8

For us, I think we are sending at 115200, it also depends on how good is your cable too.

Bronze Member
Username: Flu_guy

Post Number: 60
I posted this a while back and it explains all about it. I have been using the cable for over a month now and it always works perfectly.

Thread: How to Extend an RS232 Cable

htiek
Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 09:02 pm:

Dear All

What with the bins changing so much these days, I decided today to make an extension for my RS232 uploading cable. Now I can leave the FLU where it is, under the TV, and program it without disconnecting anything.

All you need are a couple of 9pin D connectors, 1 male and one female and some 4 conductor phone wire, (the solid core stuff, sometimes called "Quad"). I made mine about 25 feet, but longer would probably still work. You only need 3 conductors, just interconnect pins 2, 3 & 5, and leave the spare wire open. Use it to extend your existing cable, (doesn't matter which type), and plug the far end into the STB, now do your upload in the usual way.

I used this with my FLU tonight, and it worked perfectly, it was so much easier I cannot think why I didn't do this before!

All the best
Htiek

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 14030
If ya have nite rider lights, and are using a long cable so U don't have to move the receiver to the PC, its presumed the PC and receiver will be in differnt rooms..like a PC in a den or computer used room, and the receiver next to the TV in a living room..

if they are, how can you do uploads and use the loader on the PC , when ya can't even see the PC and receiver interreacting?..what if ya got nite rider lights?..and want force uploads?

I never heard ot this extending your serial cable, by splice and dice methods as mentioned...

Common sense tells me to get a USB ready receiver, and use a small inexpensive portable thumb drive , if ya don't want to mess with cables and connections...

Gold Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 8601
Serial cable and the Industry accepted RS232 specifications go back to pre micro computer days. In those days there were terminals and modems in different rooms and a main-frame computer in a special room. The cables specs were designed to carry the signals into all the rooms of a large office complex.
Loch Ness has given the maximum Baud rates for different lengths and you can go down in the speed of transmission to 19200 baud and you will be OK.

Bronze Member
Username: Joed

PLATINUM VIP MEMBER

Post Number: 72
I personally use a 30 foot CAT5e cable for a viwesat. It works flawlessly.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
Many thanks to all you for your valuable inputs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
You may need a helper, if the units are in different rooms. . .
Htiek

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
Htiek,
You are right. Helper will definitely be a plus.
Please confirm. Pin 2 of one end will connect to pin 3 of the other end. Pin 5 will connect to pin 5.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
Please confirm. Pin 2 of one end will connect to pin 3 of the other end. Pin 5 will connect to pin 5.

No, you are making an extension, male to female, so,

2-2, 3-3, and 5-5

The beauty of making an extension is that is will work with any type of cable be it of null modem or straight through type.

Htiek

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
Thanks Htiek.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us