Help with RCA TV

Bronze Member
Username: Ziggyping

PA U.S.A

Post Number: 23
I have a 27 inch RCA TV. I want to hook it up to surround sound but it has no audio outs and no headphone jack. Is there a thing I can buy to adapt it or anything?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2151
­
Usually, the easiest way is to use an old VCR. All of them have audio line outputs you can use to feed an external sound system.

Bronze Member

PA U.S.A

Post Number: 24
Oh, cool I have one but its mono dang. Ohwell how would you get it to work?

thanks

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2155
­
You run the basic TV signal into the VCR's antenna (RF) input. You haven't specified where your TV signal is coming from. In the case of antenna or basic cable, you would use the VCR's tuner to go up and down through the channels. Meanwhile, the VCR's audio out jack would be hooked into the surround system by splitting the mono signal with an ordinary male®2 female Y adaptor. The Y adaptor would be hooked to a stereo patch cord which would go into the surround system's audio input.

If you are using a cable or sat box, you most likely don't need a VCR. Most modern cable boxes and all satboxes have analog R/L audio outputs you would hook directly into the surround system.

Obviously, a stereo signal from a stereo VCR would be better. This is especially true regarding any simulated digital surround setting you may want to use on the surround system. You could still use those settings, but the surround effect might not be as successful.
­

Bronze Member

PA U.S.A

Post Number: 25
Hey, thanks man your a lot of help. I got it hooked up and I must have basic cable because I have to change the channels on the VCR but I have one proublem, I get sound from channel 2 to 18 on the VCR and past 18 there is no sound at all. Do you have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks. BTW, this is a Philco VCR not sure of the year. and I don't have a cable box

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2161
­
You're telling me that you get a picture on channel 19 and up? But you are getting audio and video on those channels on the TV? If so, I have no idea how to fix it. Doesn't make sense -- it seems to me if the tuner in the VCR is defective, you'd have a problem with the first 17 channels.
­

Bronze Member

PA U.S.A

Post Number: 26
Well the TV works fine but the vcr will give no sound past channel 18

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2163
­
Sorry Adam, getting video but no audio on channel 19 on up just doesn't make any sense. I've never encountered something like this, and I can't think of a fix. Too bad you don't have another VCR to try out.

Bronze Member

PA U.S.A

Post Number: 27
Yeah I know, but I bought one of those adaptors today and it made a pretty big difference thanks.

Bronze Member

PA U.S.A

Post Number: 28
Hey I fixed it then, I went to menu and I set it to cable TV and it worked it was like on antenna before or something. Thanks for your help!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us