Nfusion with Dial-Up?

Bronze Member
Username: Flu_guy

Post Number: 44
I currently have a FLU but am thinking about getting an Nfusion.
I currently have a dial-up internet connection as high-speed" is not available in my area. Will the Nfusion work with dial-up? I have two computers sharing the internet sharing the connection using ICS. so I do have a network that I could connect it to, but how often does the Nfusion need to connect to the internet? Is it just when the keys change, or is it more often than that?

I am sure a lot of people are in the same situation, but I have never seen this question addressed in the forum.

Htiek

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 13970
from www.ftaprosupport.com

How to Connect Nfusion to Dial - Up

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't need to be a whiz at computers, just follow the direction

When you have the XP dialup server configured, you can connect the computer and the nFusion together either with a hub or switch, or even just a Network crossover cable (a network cable with the send receive pairs reversed, not straight thru, available at Radio Shack) either way with the dialup connection connected to the internet, simply plug the network cable into the nFusion and it should get an IP address from the DHCP in the computer. Give it a minute or so, then check the "Network" settings on the nFusion and see if it now has a TCP/IP address assigned, it will probably be something like 192.168.0.x . and you should be able to get IKS over the internet, and also get bin updates, but as they are in the vicinity of 800k it will take a while, depending of course on how fast your dialup actually is. I must be honest, I have not tried this with my nFusion as I have a 6MB cable broadband, but I do have a lawyer client that has two computers connected thru an ICS connection hosted by a third computer with a dialup and it has been running trouble free for over 2-1/2 years, slow, but it works for MS Updates, email, Antivirus updates etc.
Good luck!

This is what I used to get Nfusion connected to the Internet
DYNEX PCI Adapter 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet Model DX-E101
DYNEX 4 Port 10 Mbps HUB
CAT 6 Premium NetWork Cable
When you have followed all the directions on the link above connect your hub to your computer, do not use the port that says uplink use port 1, 2, 3,or 4. Myself I used 1 and 3.

Connect the other cable to the Nfusion. Now connect to the internet.
When you have a connection turn stb on from the back .You should at this time have a TCP/IP. Go to menu Network information and see if your information is there. If not go back to the link and start again.

If you do have your information there, go to Control panel ,click on internet connection and you will see your dial up connection and your lan connection. Click on your lan connection. What I did here was close every thing, I only left the lan page up don't shut off the internet.
I found by doing this I was able to down load the files with out it shutting down part way through. I only have a 28.8kbps connection, so the least programs running the better. As far as the red light goes, it does it own thing sometimes on sometimes off. I checked my IKS by ooooo out the keys. You will then see the red light start blinking.

Good Luck!

Badger
Attached Images
XP ICS - Manual Server Setup - Dial-Up Connection.pdf (63.2 KB, 10 views)
XP ICS - Client Setup Using the Network Setup Wizard.pdf

Gold Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 8453
htiek : There are two ways or stages in which Nfusion works. I will not go into the details, but suffice it to say that under most normal conditions 90-95% of the time) your dialup Internet is OK. Under certain conditions, you will find that everything slows down, i.e. the receiver and your internet access.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Dear LK & Nalin
Thank you for all the detailed information, I too have been using ICS of one form or another for about 10 years and find it works really well.
My main question is, roughly, how often does the Nfusion need to access the internet? My voice phone line is shared with the internet, so I don't want it on all the time.
Thank you again
Htiek

Silver Member
Username: Extremex

Post Number: 178
My main question is, roughly, how often does the Nfusion need to access the internet?

About every 20 seconds.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13973
I must have missed it...I don't see ANY info provided by nalin...especially detailed...but U can bet U will see my post COPIED everyplace here now by her..

Gold Member

Post Number: 8463
htiek said: "My voice phone line is shared with the internet, so I don't want it on all the time."
You can expect it it to be ON and interrupting about 2-3% of time in a continuous manner. However, if you have Internet shared with the voice line, actually in the background you have VOIP (Voice over IP) and the provider uses Broadband, although he might be giving you only "dial-up". There would therefore not be any visible/audible impact on you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Nalin & LK
Im sorry. the way I worded that was a little ambiguous, in fact I have a plain old telephone line with a 56K modem, not VOIP. and 2-3% isn't bad, sounds quite reasonable, what I am thinking is that the Nfusion might stand a better chance when the card swap happens, it might stand up better, what do you think?
Htiek

Silver Member
Username: Lolol

Post Number: 273
If you connect nfusion to a dial up connection, would your phone line be busy all the time?

Forexample like when you are connected to the internet with dial up connectiion and the phone lines are always busy. (unless you have two phone lines)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
Not Today & lolol:
I see I have some more answers now, this is getting interesting. Not Today says: every 20 seconds, which as far as dial up is concerned would mean connected all the time, because it takes 15-20 seconds to get connected, so it sounds like a second phone line for the internet, would be needed. Otherwise, the phone line would indeed be busy all the time, as you suspected, Lolol.
Thanks for all your posts
Htiek

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13979
U can change that setting on your puter...so the phone rings and U use the phone, buy ya get booted off the net..or vice versa

Gold Member

Post Number: 8467
htiek : Get rid of POTS altogether, get a good Broadband connection, and use VOIP for phone.
I have 4 VOIP phones connected to my Internet, pay next to nothing for phone calls, and with a big download going on, I can have two phone numbers active at the same time.
All this costs me about $44/month plus 1.4 cents a minute to North America and Europe and no charge for incoming. And I get 7 mb speed on Internet.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
LK:
Hmm, Twenty seconds is not a lot of time for a phone call, and what happens to the Nfusion if it does'nt get it's 20 sec internet fix when it needs it? picture goes off, right?
Do you think the Nfusion will survive the card swap, when it happens? I remember the last time in 2005, the IKS systems were the first to come back up?
Htiek

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
Nalin:
I would love to get rid of POTS. altogether, but, contrary to what most city folk beleve, broadband is not available everywhere. Out here in Simcoe County I am 10 miles from the CO. so DSL is out of the question. There is no cable service so cable internet is not an option. There is no cell phone service, so no WIMAX either, (although Bell still keep trying to sell it to me). Satellite based wide band is available of course, but it is pretty expensive and not that great, so I am stuck with Dial-up. I think I might get another phone line perhaps, as the one we have right now is busy a lot!
Htiek

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13985
htiek...U want Nfusion info or FTA info...come see me at www.ftaprosupport.com not going to provide any more info here, only to get bashed by 10 yr olds...

Gold Member

Post Number: 8472
htiek : I do understand. I did some research on satellite based Internet, and it is extremely expensive.
What you have to live with is a possible significant deterioration in Internet and phone reception, at certain crucial times of the ECMs, but not during the normal times. During those times, you might have to suffer it out with many of the others in this fourm.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
LK:
I tried to get you on wwwdotftaprosupportdotcom but it is not dial-up friendly, plus, 10 year olds cannot register without a letter from their Mommy, so I guess I am out of luck...
Htiek

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Nalin:
Yes thanks for your advice, I don't think I am going to get one right now, because the FLU works so well, (mainly thanks to your box of tricks there). I'll wait and see what happens when the card swap takes effect, I'm sure it will be quite a while yet.
Htiek
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us