Panasonic TY-LA1000 & JVC TS-CL110UAA Lamp by Philips

Bronze Member
Username: Sjones1

Post Number: 34
I've been answering a few technical questions on Ecoustics the last couple of days and curious what you all think about what's going on with the Panasonic and JVC Projection TVs.

I know Panasonic has recently come out with a new technology to replace the UHP DLP TV lamps, but this is aimed at the millions of Panasonic users with the UHP lamps (i.e., anyone who bought their TVs before mid 2007), particularly the TY-LA1000 as that lamps seems to be extremely temperamental.

This concern is also aimed at all owners of the JVC D-ILA Projection TVs, whose replacement part number is TS-CL100UAA.

Reading the forums here, on HighDef, AVS, and FixYourDLP...and judging by all the replies, it's clear that there is an obvious and distinct problem with these two manufactures and their lamp reliability. Doing a little research...

http://fixyourdlp.com/

It's clear that both Panasonic and JVC use UHP lamps manufactured by Matsushita, Panasonic's parent company. Matsushita's logo is stamped all over the lamps, both made in Japan, etc., etc. as the FixYourDLP article says.

I also know there is a lot of backlash against using generic or 100% compatible OEM lamps...obviously these are usually made by third party companies and the quality is horrendous.

But then a little bit more research into the whole UHP Technology shows that Philips created the technology for projectors and rear projection TVs (among other applications). Not only that, but Philips is also the OEM provider to the TOP TV manufacturers, such as Sony, Samsung, Hitachi, etc. The lower end manufactures like AKAI, Visio, and RCA, etc., seem to use OSRAM lamps predominately, and yet they use Philips brand lamps in their more expensive sets.

I'm just trying to put all this together...why are we still sticking it out with Panasonic and JVC factories for lamps when obviously the product by Philips is superior?

Evidence from consumers, our own communities (forums) show Samsung, Hitachi, and Sony TVs' lamps out last Panasonic and JVC ? Shouldn't we all just buy Philips lamps and get over it?

Just my two cents...

Bronze Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 97
Good question Steve. I as a servicer get many DLP / LCD Projection TV's in for service. 80% of the problem is the lamp. However, for every 1 time that a customer brings me a Samsung or Sony brand TV in for lamp replacement only... I get 4 to 5 JVC and Panasonic sets.. From my personal experience, it seems like the problem really isn't the TV manufacturer but the lack of R&D on the UHP manufacturing end. VERY RARELY have I seen MATSUSHITA lamps from JVC or SONY just "stop functioning" from extensive use or wear... They are almost ALL BLOWN! Blown meaning the filament being exploded or lamp imploding.

I fail to believe that the design of the TV causes the lamp to "blow" every time. Most likely the filament being manufactured by Philips is a superior filament that is more resistent to heat and wear.

Most of the newer high end TV's by Samsung, Sony, and now Hitachi (has switched to philips exclusively) use Philips brand lamps and to me it seems like the failure rate is much less.. i would go as far as saying 60% to 70% less.

I have now purchased the PHILIPS brand JVC lamps from Discount-Merchant.com to see if it get better results. So far so good. Just by the feel of the box and the Philips logo I feel more confident in the product.

Username: Slugo

Post Number: 1
hi guys, i just had another TY-LA1000 lamp blow and i've been reading your thoughts on the phillips replacement lamps, and i have a question.
is there a phillips replacement lamp for the TY-LA1000? or should i just junk the tv, and buy a different brand?
after looking over the disc-merch site, it looks like the only replacement lamp for the panasonic is the panasonic lamp.
please let me know what i am missing.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 150
Patrick,
If you order the panasonic lamp from discount-merchant, just leave a note in the order section requesting the "Philips Version" of the lamp. They will send you an original Panasonic enclosure with a Philips lamp.

Here is a link to help:
http://www.discount-merchant.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=ty-la1000

When I order from them, I specifically request a philips bulb... and they normally don't have a problem sending you a Philips version.

Also, I ordered from them a TY-LA1500 lamp as posted here:
http://www.discount-merchant.com/Panasonic-TY-LA1500-Replacement-Lamp-bare-bulb- p/panasonic_ty-la1500_lamp_1.htm

As you can see it's a bare philips lamp replacement for the TY-LA1500 lamp.. After talking with one of the guys in charge, he told me that they will have a TY-LA1000 PHILIPS bare lamp replacement with the CONNECTOR within the next month! Target price is LESS THAN $150!

I'm very excited about this because I can offer customers a Philips version for a BETTER price!

They refuse to sell the bare lamp without the connector attached for a great reason. Cutting the high current terminal wire can result in insufficient AC power to the lamp causing premature failure. For this reason i don't recommend any bare bulb purchasing of GENERIC/OSRAM replacements! I'm with Discount-Merchant.com on this story because they seem to know their lamps.

I would definately keep the TV! Panasonic has a great picture and apart from the Ballast failures, you got yourself a worry free TV which will work and look great for less than $150 every 3 years when DM releases this bare Philips lamp!

The ballast repair kit can be found here:
http://www.vancebaldwin.com/products/?LSUC0022

I hope i was helpful!

Username: Mocarob

Post Number: 1
How do you put a bare bulb into an enclosure? Is it complicated?

TS-CL100UAA

Username: Mocarob

Post Number: 2
found my answer.

http://guides.fixyourdlp.com/jvc/TS-CL110UAA.php
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us