Philips Magnavox 60" Projection Sound but no picture

Username: Ryan6663

Manchester, NH

Post Number: 1
I aquired a 60" Philips Magnavox Projection TV Chassis PTV805-AH01 Model 8P6034C101. The previous owner stated it just died one day. I got it home and plugged it in with nothing. I removed the fuse and checked it (it was good), cleaned out the cabinet and boards with a can of comressed air (for computers). I replaced the fuse plugged it in and was able to get power. I now have sound! So here is the problem, it takes a few seconds holding the power button before it turns on. All the lamps light up for about 3-5 seconds with no clear picture but then shut off. The bottom of the guns are glowing very dimly but lamps are off. There is a high pitched noise coming from the tv (seems higher pitched than a normal TV). The sound is fine and doesnt cut out, its just no picture. I have a DVD player plugged into the RCA jacks. I am going to try an S cable for giggles but think its something electronc. I have a copy of the service manual and will be checking a couple things that I found on other boards but would really appreciate any suggestions. Also I am wondering what I can use to clean the tops of the lamps as they have some dust that wont blow off.

I would like to fix this or try to fix it because it is in great condition and freaking huge! I have a lot of computer and basic electronics repair experience but this is all new to me so any help would be greatly appreciated! If there is anyone in my area that can fix it and will work for beer or barter, let me know! Thanks! Ryan

Manchester, NH

Post Number: 2
PS- The green power LED comes on and stays on, no flashing, no red LED, just a solid green... Thanks

Manchester, NH

Post Number: 3
UPDATE! - I think I have it narrowed down to the flyback module. I found a company that will exchange the boards, I am wondering if I should replace all 3 or the power board and convergence board? I would be saving about 100 bucks but hate to damge either of the 2 new boards by not replacing the small board. Any suggestions?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us