Recording Satellite (can) with a Panny eh55s

Username: Big_bbk

Abbotsford, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 1
I bought a panasonic DMR-EH55S (600.00) just before xmas, and was schedule recoding digital cable through my Shaw box no prob. 12 days ago we switched to Bell Expressvu satellite, and for the life of me I cannot get the recorder to reconize the Bell receiver (new 6141 HD)...I can't even get it to manual record, because it will not let me manually enter channels past 69....any suggestions??? or did I just throw 600.00 out the window?..thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 42
What do you mean "get it to recognize"?

There is no recognizing needed.

How are you connected to the satellite digital box?

I find it hard to believe that the Panasonic goes up only to 69. I have a JVC and it goes much higher than that, but the signal must be ANALOG.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3740
Connect the Bell to the Panasonic with s-video or RCAs and set the recorder on whatever input you used. If using s-video, the best way, you still need RCAs for audio. Don't try to use the recorder's tuner.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply LK -
(1)Yes my EH55S needs to "reconize" the satellite receiver because it is designed to turn the channels on the incoming receiver to the channel of the show you scheduled to record within its TVG listings...and it did this just fine when i was using Shaw digital cable receiver. But now that I have gone to Bell satellite, HD receiver, when in the setup menu for the TVG listings of the EH55S,you are to select the receiver you are connected to so it will match the show listings to the service you have...problem is the EH55S does not "reconize" the Bell satellite HD receiver, and will not automatically change the channels when doing your code test. (2) I am connected to the sat receiver with RCA monster just as I was with the cable receiver.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the reply David -
(1) Yes I am using RCA from the Bell to the EH55S. The sat receiver is connected to the dish using coaxial as done by the installer. Then the connection between the sat receiver and the TV is by HDMI. The connection between the sat receiver and the EH55S recorder is RCA (monster audio L audio R & video) as it was when i had digital cable. Then the connection from the EH55S to the TV is again HDMI.
(2) what do you mean when you say..."Don't try to use the recorder's tuner..."?
(3) BTW, the sat receiver (Bell HD 6141) also has the ability to set a recording within it's listings guide by turning on your VCR when preset time approaches, this too is not an option because the 3 digit code for the Eh55s is not reconized in the Bell data base.
I must be doing 1 small thing wrong, but for the life of me can't figure it out. I can't beleive i wasted 600.00 on this recorder just by going hi def satellite....

Gold Member

Post Number: 3742
You need to set the recorder on whatever input you used. If there isn't an input button on the remote, go through the channels until you get to the right input.

Post Number: 5
Thanks David > been there, done that(Input "IN3")
Panasonic c/s has relayed that this DMR-EH55s (which I paid $600.00 for) will not work with 'Canadian' satellite!?...obviously I have a problem with their answer...like a satelitte signal knows the difference between the north side and south side of the 38th paralell???...anyways i have resigned myself to not being able to use it by scheduling recordings through the listings guide...my only goal now is to get this unit to allow a manually scheduled record, just like the old VCR, but at this point it won't let me becuase it won't reconize the fact that my Bell stations start at 199 and go up to 980...the menu for manual record settings grey out the channel...when i set the input (in the manual record menu) to "IN3" as is my connection...it will only allow to enter up to 60. I had gone through the 'suto channel search' option back when i first tried to set up the guide, but would only pick out 60 channels because it " doesn't support Canadian satelitte"....so my struggle continues. It has to be in the setup menu...I must keep trying, i won't let them win!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3746
If the recorder has a TV guide, disable it. Then just use input 3 to record.

Post Number: 6
Thanks - it is Saturday, so I have the time to try that and other things...the last time i tried, I unplugged the unit overnight hoping to start fresh, but it still retained all previous settings...do you know how to reset previously installed settings on this eh55s??

Gold Member

Post Number: 3748
I don't know on the HDD recorders, but the older non HDD models you pressed the power button on the unit for 10 seconds.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us