2 digital audio cables split into single A/VR input OK?

Username: Davekro

Post Number: 1
My older Sony A/V receiver has only one Coax Audio Input (DVD/LD), but 4 Optical Inputs (CD, TV/Sat, DVD/LD, MD/DAT). In rewiring to add my new 1080P DLP TV, I have (1) coax from TV (Digital Audio Out) to 5.1 A/V Rcvr's DVD/LD input.
What is best way to connect audio from my older DVD player that has Digital Coax & Optical Audio outputs (analog L&R too)?

Can I use an RCA splitter at the A/V Rcvr's DVD/LD Digital Audio input? (seems strange)
Or do I need to use the optical from DVD player to A/V Rcvr? note: would A/V Rcvr be conflicted with both a 'Coax DVD In' (from TV) and an 'Optical DVD In' (from DVD player) connected?

Big thanks for any insights!

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3736
You can connect the optical from the DVD to any optical input, it doesn't have to be the DVD input. Most receivers will automatically select whatever input has a signal, so as long as the TV and DVD aren't sending a signal at the same time, it shouldn't be a problem using the same input.

Username: Davekro

Post Number: 3
David,
Scen. 1) Assume I have both TV and DVD player audio routed to the sole A/V Rcvr Digital Coax input (via RCA splitter). Would it cause damage if I inadvertantly left a DVD playing when I switched over to watch TV (and both sources were now sending audio signals thru the single Coax A/VR input)? Or would it just produce a blended audio (that would remind me turn DVD player off.)

Scen. 2) I leave TV audio to A/VR Coax input. I use 'Optical' cable from DVD player to A/VR optical "DVD/LD in"(just so 'name' displayed on A/VR does not confuse my wife ;o). Would the A/VR sense & put thru both sources as in Scen. 1) (assuming DVD left on by mistake)?

It would be nice (especially for wife ;o) not to need to change A/VR source on top of already changing 'input source' on TV. Maybe I am asking too much. ;o)
If need be, we will train ourselves to 'switch' both TV & A/VR.

Thanks very much for your help!
PS. for Scen. 1) would I degrade signal by using cheapie 6" RCA splitter I already have? Actually, on line the only other option I was able to find was a cheapie 1" RCA splitter (no wire & unshielded I believe).

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3738
You would need a digital audio switcher instead of a splitter. I don't know what would happen if both sources were on at once. I don't think it would harm anything, the receiver would probably just select one of the 2 inputs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us