Do I need digital cable box?

Username: Ralphm

Post Number: 1
I have just an analog tv. I have home theater system, and a digital dvd recorder. I hooked up the dvd recorder to the home theater, and set up as bitstream, but do not pick up dolby digital.
I used an optical cord. Do I have to also have a digital cable box to make this all work? What am I missing? I thought that the digital tumer in the dvd recorder would allow me to pick up dolby digital when being played on tv. Thanks for any help. I hope I made sense.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3733
Are you sure you're on a 5.1 audio track? All discs aren't 5.1, and some that are have 2.0 as the default audio track, 5.1 has to be selected in the menus.

Post Number: 2
I do not mean when I play a disc. For example, I was thinking that I should of gotten the super bowl in dolby digital 5.1. The discs play fine, but I was hoping to get the 5.1 surround sound when it was broadcast that way on tv. I get sound from 5 speakers when I play on music, movies, stadium, but it is not true dolby even when it says show is broadcast in dolby digital 5.1, hope that helps explain it better.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3734
Are you watching over the air broadcasts or cable? Analog cable doesn't have 5.1 audio.

Post Number: 3
I have cable, but not a digital cable box. Not any box, just the cable running from wall. I guess that is analog cable? If so then I guess I won't get the 5.1 until I get the digital box?
I guess I thought that by having the digital tuner in the dvd recorder and that hooked up to the HTS it would pick up the 5.1, but was not sure. Just let me know if the digital cable box will do the trick and I can get one from cable company. Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 3735
Yes, you'll need to subscribe to digital cable to get 5.1. You can get 5.1 from OTA broadcasts with an antenna if you have HD channels available in your area.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for your input. It helped me understand more about what I was trying to do.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us