Whats the difference between file and bin ?

Silver Member
Username: Lomna

Post Number: 102
Difference between file and bin? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Saqeeb9000

Post Number: 1926
they are same..
some people call them file some call them bin..most of us call them ...
now don't ask me what is the difference b.w garbage bin and dish bin..

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
Alright SIR.. LOL.......

Gold Member
Username: Saqeeb9000

Post Number: 1930
just kidding...believe me i was asking same question to lk.. when i was newbee.. hahah..

Gold Member
Username: Cartier1

Post Number: 1734
the difference is . one is male the other is femal/

Gold Member
Username: Brucester

Post Number: 1160
when you down load it it is a file then you extract it it becomes a binfile which can then be loaded on your box that is what i think i might be wrong

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
Thanks... everyone !

Gold Member
Username: Doreenakadj

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1100
The difference between "files and Bins" are one FILE is called a BOOT FILE not the same as a BIN. Bins are for loading new information were as BOOT FILES are factory info ( does not change)

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 13932
A file is a file...it could be any type...

.wmv
.zip
.rar
.jpg
.pgm
.exe
.dll
.bin
.gar

Bin, is the short terminology in the satelite world for a .bin file, a binary code..used commonly with many FTA receivers (not all)...some FTA receivers use .pgm files and other various types etc

So a "bin" is a specific type of a file...but all files are NOT bins..

Bronze Member
Username: Bernardmi

Post Number: 64
From Wiki: Read last sentence specially

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_file

A binary file is a computer file which may contain any type of data, encoded in binary form for computer storage and processing purposes; for example, computer document files containing formatted text. Many binary file formats contain parts that can be interpreted as text; binary files that contain only textual data - without, for example, any formatting information - are called plain text files. In many cases, plain text files are considered to be different from binary files because binary files are made up of more than just plain text. When downloading, a completely functional program without any installer is also often called program binary, or binaries (as opposed to the source code).

Gold Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1102
most examples that LK posted are for computers A zip/rar is what a File or Bin comes in compressed for uploading and downloading. Zip or rar files are commonly used to transfer both (files and bins) to the servers (FTA sites in this case)
Dll and Exe are files used for programs such as the loaders for your computer not receivers. But all of the examples LK posted can be made into Zip or RAR files Pretty much anything can be compressed into a zip or rar. There are many "FILES" but "BINS" are most common for FTA receivers.

Gold Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1103
I Ilke your answer The Outer Limits. You posted that as I was still typing out my responce LOL

Bronze Member
Username: Bernardmi

Post Number: 65
We might also add Doreen and this is important is the fact that most AntiVirus software will let a ZIP file through. That would not be the case if you were trying to download an executable (EXE) file.

A zipped file is also checked for accuracy (validation of content) while being un-zipped. So if there was an error during a downloading process, Winzip would immediately tell you that the file is corrupt prompting you to download it once again.

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 13933
In THIS SATELLITE message board, we discuss satelites, primarily FTA...and when using FTA, a computer is required..and along with that are specific files needed such as some .dll (zmodem, msscom32 etc) or your FTA loaders will not work, and U need zip and rar programs to extract...and most all FTA files are .zip and .rar, then within it we extract the required .bin or whatever files...

So computers and FTA go hand in hand, they are NOT seperate issues...and since this is an alleged SATELLITE board, I try and discuss things in a way that makes sense to the majority, versus a techical copy/paste from wiki, that most will not understand..

OK, I'm going back to the real world...play time is over....later

Gold Member
Username: Pulp_fiction

Post Number: 1190
OMFG...

Upload

Gold Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1104
LMAO ok pulp which blind guy am I ?

Username: Help_wanted

WPGCa

Post Number: 10
Bin Is a form of file (binary code) which consist of numbers. These numbers are cod for your sat to be read, and regular file is set of instructions to tell how a software or hard ware to behave.

Silver Member
Username: Mclinkus

Near indyU s of a

Post Number: 270
check out the fta wiki

at

[link removed]

we have all the terms and none of the ridicule

Silver Member
Username: The_coders

Post Number: 247
Upload