My TV has 1 DVI, no HDMI, how do I...

Bronze Member
Username: Kevinrob

Post Number: 18
My HDTV is a bit older than most, 4 years approximately. It has 1 DVI connection, no HDMI connections.

The problem is do I hook up the DirecTv HR21 receiver or the progressive scan DVD player to DVI? The other device would be connected via Component cables.

The other option is to get a multi-switch DVI cable that allows you to connect 3 DVI devices to the TV, but I then have the problem of converting the HMDI connections to DVI.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Tvshopper

Post Number: 196
I don't think you lose or gain anything by hooking up the HR21 via component cables. I have my HR20 hooked up with both HDMI and component and cannot tell the difference. So, I would hook up the DVD player via the DVI.

Bronze Member
Username: Kevinrob

Post Number: 24
Cool, thanks for the info tvshopper. I guess I will give it a try and see how it looks.

The bigger issue I'm finding is that most of the upscale DVD players/recorders say they only upscale via HDMI so I may have to go that route.

Username: Sprintmgr

SLC, UT USA

Post Number: 1
I had the same problem on my last TV, and I found an inexpensive DVI to HDMI adapter. You lose sound on the DVI side, but most devices will allow you to run audio separately. (you would if using component anyway) I found a monster brand adapter at Radio Shack for $30. Once you have HDMI, there are a number of solutions that allow switching/combining devices, including receivers with HDMI ins and a separate HDMI switching box. Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2096
­
As tvshopper says component works very well in most situations. However, I just recently started using an HDMI cable hooked up to a DVI adaptor on my HD DVD player.

My Monoprice $3.63 (+ s&h) HDMI®DVI adaptor works very well.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041902 &p_id=2029&seq=1&format=2
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us