Basic analog cable with High Def Channels question

Username: Freepresent_guy

Post Number: 1
I just moved in to an older home and as I was doing a walk thru with the previous owner, he told he was giving me a three week present. Yet he would not tell me what it was.

Lo and behold, I have analog cable for the next 3 weeks and with my Panasonic HD TV, I can get some HD channels but they are channels such as 8-1, 73-2, etc. I probably received about 10-15 in total the first week. However now they have disappeared and then reappeared for no rhyme or reason.

Clearly once final week of free cable is up I've got to call Comcast and get dialed in accordingly. But my questions are 1) why do the channels keep fading in and out (they really just work or not at all) 2) why do they change frequency? 3) Do I need digital cable. Can I avoid the STB from Comcast if my TV already has the HD tuners built in? Thanks for the help.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2073
­
If you want the HD channels all the time in a reliable manner, you're going to have to bite the bullet and get the HD cable box and HD "bundle" from Comcast.

Comcast is playing games with the HD channels so that your TV's QAM tuner can't get all of them all the time and to get even some of them frequent re-scans are necessary. It's all about the money.

Depending on your location, you may get all the HD channels with an ordinary antenna. Go to antennaweb.org for more info.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us