Buying a 52" sony Bravia

Silver Member
Username: Way2smart

Http://www.dssworld.co..., Zeeshan Ashiq DssWorld Mod...

Post Number: 396
i was wondering if my Viewsat ultra will work with the TV thx (HDTV)

Bronze Member
Username: Klondike_kike

Post Number: 22
no , you need next model up

Gold Member
Username: Ke5aqn

IF I DONT KNOW THE ANSWER, I WILL FIND...

Post Number: 2383
Great tv choice! Its like mine I have here and the viewsat looks great on it!!

LCD is the better choice with all the trouble they are having with plasma...

Username: Lion_cing

Post Number: 9
Of Course you may use Viewsat with HDTV, only thing it wont be HD.

Bronze Member
Username: Lol

Post Number: 88
Get the sharp 46" or 52" or at least look at it beside a sony

Bronze Member
Username: G0dm0de

Post Number: 27
you need a HD reciever to get HD content. or a bigass antenna on your roof for over-the-air HD content.

Bronze Member
Username: Fredfarmer

Post Number: 70
I just bought a 37" LCD HDTV by Westinghouse.

I use it with my non HD Viewsat Plat and Lite..I like it. Not about to spend 500 bucks on a fta hdtv receiver.

Silver Member
Username: Brucester

Post Number: 886
fta what is wrong with plamsa i have 50" LG works good for me and this spring im going to get HD thinking of cw3000 or sv and my bro got the 52" sharp aqua it is very nice and light tv not much differnt pitcher then the plamsa

Silver Member

Post Number: 397
i am going for something big and i had Sony Before and i love the colors and every thing else
Yes Fta tester i am buying a LCD

thx alll

Silver Member

Post Number: 890
when you are out look at the sharp aqua it is lcd and light great picture

Gold Member

Post Number: 2413
I am not wrong about plamsa they are getting reports all over the nett about burn in. They are not recomended for gaming for fear of getting burn in. The guide and info bar we have comming up so often with a fta receiver can and has caused this burn in.

Also the repair bill will be much higher for service with a plasma than a LCD.

Just google bun in plasma you will see

Its your money I would just be careful and study up some always go read the online reveiew first before buying anything

Silver Member

Post Number: 891
fta thanks for the info left my box on and came home it did nothing to my tv it was froz with scrammbled channel on my tv thanks for the info im turning my tv off when i go out and my wife wont let me play games on the 50" got to play on 32"im going to go read on this thanks have a nice day FTA and keep up the great work you do

Bronze Member
Username: G0dm0de

Post Number: 28
If you really want to future-proof, get a 120hz LED-backlit LCD TV. They have ridiculous contrast ratios like 500000:1

Bronze Member
Username: Ghostcdn

Pescara, Abruzzo Italia

Post Number: 19
Thanks to Abby's guide for the info:
Burn-in on plasma TVs a myth?

We have all heard it before. If you leave your TV or computer screen on the same image for too long the image will "burn" into the screen. This will cause you to see a ghost of the image that was on the screen for too long. We now know that our new tubes and flat screen computer monitors do not really do this any longer. But what about plasma TVs?

If you are reading this you are considering the purchase of a $2,000 to $10,000 plasma television and the thought of burn in on something that costs as much as a used car does not sit well with you.

I am happy to say you can rest easy. Pioneer Electronics put plasma TVs to the test and had some pretty interesting results. They found that burn in can occur on modern plasma TVs but the condition is only temporary. They subjected plasma televisions to 48 hours of a video game on pause and found that there was indeed burn in. The really cool part about this is that to fix the burn in they simply played a movie on the display for 24 hours to clear the image.

In real life none of us would ever leave our plasma display on for 48 hours with a paused video game image but it is nice to know that it will not mean the end of your TV!

Link to the report:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3424/273087528Pioneer DTV White Paper - FINAL.pdf

Bronze Member
Username: Boboshan

Somewhere, Out There

Post Number: 56
Who wants to play a movie for hours on end just to get rid of image retention?

I'll take a lcd over plasma any day!

Username: Walter227

Post Number: 2
LCD is PIXELLY watch hockey and you`ll see .. plasma makes accurate picture without HI DEF. His question was would ultra look good on LCD .. it will but if going LCD subscribe to HI-DEF.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2580
I am still not convenienced that artical was made by a manufacture of plasama tv's so sure they want want to sell them. I just did a google on the words "burn in plasma" and got back alot of articals warning about burn in.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_display

Screen burn-in

See also: Phosphor burn-in

An example of a plasma display that has suffered severe burn-in from stationary text
An example of a plasma display that has suffered severe burn-in from stationary text

With phosphor-based electronic displays (including cathode-ray and plasma displays), the prolonged display of a menu bar or other graphical elements over time can create a permanent ghost-like image of these objects. This is due to the fact that the phosphor compounds which emit the light lose their luminosity with use. As a result, when certain areas of the display are used more frequently than others, over time the lower luminosity areas become visible to the naked eye and the result is called burn-in. While a ghost image is the most noticeable effect, a more common result is that the image quality will continuously and gradually decline as luminosity variations develop over time, resulting in a "muddy" looking picture image.

Plasma displays also exhibit another image retention issue which is sometimes confused with burn-in damage. In this mode, when a group of pixels are run at high brightness (when displaying white, for example) for an extended period of time, a charge build-up in the pixel structure occurs and a ghost image can be seen. However, unlike burn-in, this charge build-up is transient and self corrects after the display has been powered off for a long enough period of time, or after running random broadcast TV type content.

Plasma manufacturers have over time managed to devise ways of reducing the past problems of image retention with solutions with grey pillarboxes, pixel orbiters and image washing routines.

Upload

I still like the LCD better the burn in can still happen but very rare. The price for lcd is /2 of plasma and service is cheeper its just a light bulb usually that needs replaced no big deal...

Username: Walter227

Post Number: 3
60,000 hours of life in an lcd or plasma tv = leaving it on for 24 hours a day for 6.8 years,if watching 4 - 5 hours a day the bulb shouldn`t need to be replaced for 32.8 years...
Washing does work, generally a DVD with white background played for 1-2 hours cures the problem. Have a plasma with screen on still image for up to 2 hours and no damage so far?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2587
Well anyway those with unlimited funds can afford one I had to get the cheaper more reliable LCD.

What you are saying is correct for some of the problems with the plasma but not all according to what I have read. It is clear documented proven that the plasmas have problems. Yours not being affected yet is great but does not change the facts. I for one would not be happy with having to do a "wash" for hours to hopefully fix a problem. I will be instead enjoying my LCD while plasma users have to spend hours doing that all the time..

Silver Member

Post Number: 896
i left my plasma on all day i do not no when the picture froze came home from work put in new keys and all is good no burn

Silver Member
Username: 1tina_chick

Post Number: 141
I've been shopping for a new tv and i know for a fact that if your

moving and you tip a plasma over you just VOIDED THE

WARRANTY ! Also the 120 hrz in my opinion is NOT worth the

extra $1200 BUCKS ! If all you watch is fast action stuff and

you have an unlimited budget then OK. I have looked at LCD

and Plasma side by side I like LCD better , also better in well lit

rooms ........

Gold Member

Post Number: 2639
Wow i forgot about the cant ever tip them over part good post Tina!!!!!

Another great plus for the LCD!!

MOVIE-PPV-ETHNOC on DN and ALL OF BEV DOWN

Bronze Member
Username: Superslammy

Post Number: 37
I LOVE my 42" Samsung plasma. All the newer models have anti burn in features built in. Plasma are still better for fast paced sports like hockey. I don't think you'll go wrong with either if it's HD. I threw a big old style antenna on the roof to pick up local HD and it's GREAT! Nothing, absolutely nothing compares to HD. I would watch soap operas and Nascar racing when they are in HD!!

Username: Ncx

Post Number: 10
I'd agree with those that say to go LCD instead of Plasma. My 42 Inch Toshiba LCD gets a fantastic picture with no image retenetion, unlike my brothers Plasma LG which has horrible retention. His LG is less than two months old and he's already thinking of ditching it. My LCD looks great on Sports or Action movies. Just watched Live Free Or Die Hard the other day, it looked fantastic and it wasn't even a high def channel.

I read alot before going into the HDTV/Flatscreen arena, one of the things I read over and over was that LCD's have a much longer lifespan than Plasma's. This is supposedly especially true where the bulbs are concerned. Modern LCD's don't burn in, I pause my pvr all the time leaving it paused for as much as an hour and it has never burnt. I also leave my vista desktop on all the time with no screen saver and it still doesn't burn lol LCD beats Plasma hands down I think.

Bronze Member

Pescara, Abruzzo Italia

Post Number: 20
from digital home:

Five Reasons to choose Plasma over LCD

The following are the five reasons, with a brief explanation for each, why Digital Home believes plasma televisions are a superior choice to LCD televisions for consumers wishing to purchase a 42" or larger flat panel HDTV.

Superior Colour reproduction - Plasma displays are described as self illuminated because the individual phosphors are lit up when an electric current flows. LCD, on the other hand is described as a transmissive technology because the backlight passes through a series of plastic filters in order to generate various colours. This difference means that a plasma display covers a far greater area of the visible light spectrum and delivers more dynamic colours.

Superior black levels -- The richness of an image simply cannot be conveyed if the colours are washed out which happens when good black levels aren't present. Good black levels are important to provide a sense of depth. With poor black levels, shadow areas look gray and washed out, making the picture look flat. Plasma is capable of superior black levels because it achieves its "blackest black" by turning off the necessary pixels. Because LCD has a constant light source, black is achieved by applying a filter which blocks most but not all of the light. This difference means that the best LCD panels can only reproduce a dark gray as opposed to black.

Better viewing angles -- when buying LCD televisions', buyers often encounter the term viewing angle. With LCD televisions, as you move off centre, the contrast levels fall. At a 45 degree angle, contast ratios for an LCD televisions drop 80%. To witness this phenomenon, simply stand in front of an LCD television and slowly move to the side of the room. As you move away from the center the image will appear more washed out because more light is spilling through the plastic shutters. With plasma, the contrast ratio is constant regardless of the viewing angles so the picture looks great regardless of where you are sitting in the room.

Improved clarity - plasma trumps LCD in picture clarity for two reasons. First the improved viewing angles of plasma mean no washed out images when viewing from an off-centre position. The second reason for greater clarity is plasma's faster response times. Although response times vary, plasma panels typically have much faster response times than LCD. Slow response times mean that fast action onscreen can lead to a trail or shadow effect as something moves quickly across the screen. A hockey puck for instance will have a momentary trail when it is shot. Plasma's faster response times mean the absence of trails or shadow effect.

Bronze Member

Pescara, Abruzzo Italia

Post Number: 21
Saturday, 25 August 2007
Page 2 of 2

Common reasons cited for picking LCD over Plasma

LCD flat panel proponents typically cite four reasons for choosing an LCD flat panel over a plasma display panel. We examine each argument individually and find there is little if any truth to them.

LCDs don't suffer from burn-in -- "burn in" or permanent image retention is the number one reason why LCD is often touted as being superior to plasma. While "burn-in" can occur in modern plasmas, the effect is temporary. In a 48-hour torture test, research group IDC, in partnership with Imaging Science Foundation (ISF), tested three plasma TVs and burned in clearly visible images from a game menu. Once they created burn-in, regular video material (a DVD movie set to continuously loop) was played through the sets for 24 hours and the image completely disappeared from all three plasmas, leaving no trace.

The researchers concluded that unlike early generation plasmas, where those type of images would not go away and could actually "burn" onto the screen, modern plasma TVs enjoy a combination of more robust screen materials and subtle image-shifting technologies that have rendered this issue moot.

Lower power consumption - the statement that LCD panels, of the same size, use less electricity than plasma is a fallacy. Since an LCD is backlit with a light that is on all the time, the power consumption of an LCD panel is constant. With plasma, the amount of electricity is variable because each glass bubble is turned off and on depending on what is happening onscreen. If every bubble is turned on (a rare situation) then a plasma display does use more electricity. Since most bubbles are not turned on at all times, the average power consumption of a plasma and LCD panel (of the same size) is almost equal.

LCDs last longer --the half-life of most plasma display panels is 60,000 hours. The half-life is the estimated amount of time you would need to spend watching television until the panel brightness was reduced in half. A 60,000 half-life equates to 6 hours of television viewing per day for 10,000 days or 27.4 years. Research has shown that LCD panels may last slightly longer than plasma; however, we doubt you'll bother keeping any television for 28 years! In case you're wondering, the average half life of a traditional tube television purchased in the last twenty years is about 30,000 hours.

LCD superior in brighter rooms -- simply speaking plasma is glass with white phosphors behind it. The result is that a mirror effect can take place when extremely bright light shines on plasma. This mirror effect can make it more difficult to see the images on the screen under extremely bright situations. This situation often occurs inside a big box retailer's showroom which can be as much as five times brighter than a typical living room! In your average living room where the ambient light level is much lower there is little need for a "brighter" panel.

Summary
At Digital Home, we believe that for HDTV's 42" and larger, plasma televisions are superior to LCD flat panels for five reasons: superior colour reproduction, superior black levels, superior viewing angles, improved clarity and lower cost.

Digital Home also believes that common reasons for not buying plasma, such as the fear of burn-in, are false and should be ignored.

We hope you have found this article thought provoking and encourage our readers to discuss this story in our High Definition Television (HDTV) forum in the Digital Forum. Membership in the forum is free and with over 75 interest groups and 37,000 members, there is always something new and interesting to discuss.

Bronze Member

Pescara, Abruzzo Italia

tipping it doesnt kill the unit...

Fragile, yes - as two sheets of glass are compressed together to form the plasma display element. While they must be handled with care, the main consideration is keeping them upright. The plasma glass is weighty and can crack if a plasma television when laying face down is jarred or dropped. Aside from that there is nothing really to be concerned about that you would not ordinarily consider.

To read more myths about plasma TVs compared to LCD TVs, check out an article called "Setting the Record Straight: How Plasma TVs Really Match Up Against LCD TVs".
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/plasma-vs-lcd.html

Bronze Member
Username: Buz

Mississauga, ON Canada

I have a 52" LCD Sharp Aquos, which I think (dont take my word for it) is the equivalent for a 52" Sony Bravia. My Pansat 3500SD works perfectly on it. Believe it or not, the picture quality on the satellite is better than the non HD Channels on my regular cable.

Bronze Member
Username: Ncx

Post Number: 12
I think a person can read all the articles on the web, but unitl you actually see Plasma Image Retention you can't really understand how bad it can be. My brothers looks horrible and the site of the retention as I said above was enough to stop me from buying plasma until the issue is resolved, if ever. The one he had previously (a Sony 50 inch Plasma) wasn't as bad on the image retention but it was back to the future shop 6 months after he bought it because the bulb was seriously dimming. My bet is in 4 months he'll have the same problem with this one, if the horrendous image retention doesn't make him take it back first. Not to mention he had to reboot it twice when I hooked up his CW box after a reprogramming. The color on the Plasma got all buggered up and the image retention wouldn't go away.

Bronze Member

Pescara, Abruzzo Italia

Post Number: 23
Dean,
I have had a 42" samsung for 4 years no problem, xbox, ps, dvd, stb, computer et all.
I moved the 42 to the rec room.
I have now graduated to a 50" samsung so far so good.

It is unfortunate you have had no luck with a plasma....btw never purchase highend/highcost electronics from bestbuy/futureshop.....try telecity.

Bronze Member

Pescara, Abruzzo Italia

Post Number: 24
"back to the future shop 6 months after he bought it because the bulb was seriously dimming."
lol Plasma does not have a bulb...

Silver Member

Post Number: 398
i got 52" samsung LCD works good

Bronze Member
Username: Carpie

Post Number: 15
May want to buy something cheaper than a big Bravia so he can afford a subscription for something to watch.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us