Vizio P50HDM *POP*

Username: No_tv_no_life

Post Number: 1
After having my TV for only 6 months it decided to make a loud POP noise turning the screen black and only providing audio. My question is does anyone know what part needs to be replaced in the tv?? I can say I did smell an electric oder from the left top of the tv(screen facing me). I have seen many people on the net with my excat same issue so take my warning stay away from VIZIO as tempting as the prices can be. Thanks all

P.S. No I can't return and warranty not good any more.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 285
I am going with a capacitor. Since you can still hear audio its not likely a power supply issue, since there is usually one supply for everything. I could be wrong though.

The only way to tell is to open the back or have it looked at. Sometimes you have to replace boards to figure it out ( hopefully not). I'd look for a baclkened area or capacitor spill on the boards. Again, you might not be able to see anything at all.

The glass and pixels are fine though, at least you know that.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3672
It can still be a power supply problem and in fact, that's the place to start. There are many different outputs on a switching power supply, just because part of the output works doesn't mean it all works.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 287
Ya thats true. It could be. However, usually power supplies are located at the bottom of these displays close to where the plug is as well as the amplifier section for the audio. The OP is saying he smells an odor from the top left of his screen.

I agree that the power supply is the palce to start as well. Its fairly easy to rule it out if a problem is not located there.

Hey OP- let us know what you find out.

Username: Bobbright

Post Number: 2
Replace the Z Sustainer Board, Part # 6871QZH044B and replace the Y Sustainter Board, Part # 6871QYH039B at the same time. If you replace one and not the other the bad one will end up shorting the good one and you'll lose your picture within a week. You can do this work yourself by unplugging the unit and placing it face down on carpet (put down a soft blanket to protect the screen) and unscrewing the back of the unit (a power screw driver works great for this job because there are a few screws involved). The cheapest place to buy these two parts are: www.avextra.net, or www.ebay.com

Username: Bobbright

Post Number: 5
There are two additional Y Sustainer supporting Boards called the Upper and Lower Y Boards in the P50HDM that can also be replaced at the time of the Z and Y Replacement. There part numbers are: 6871QDH088A and 6871QDH089A. Although some techies prefer to replace them at the same time as the main Z & Y Boards they probably weren't the cause of the problem and most likely don't need to be replaced. However, if you decide to replace them along with the Z & Y then it's additional insurance that it won't happen again, plus these boards are actually pretty cheap unlike the Z and Y which are a bit more expensive. It's also popular to add two additional CPU fans to the unit for additional cooling. Apparently the POD (Pop of Death) has something to do with the main Z and Y overheating. To add additional CPU Fans, which are also pretty cheap, you'll need a 3 Pin Y-Splitter (M-F) and a 4 Pin Y-Splitter (M-F) for extra plugs to connect to the additional fans but be sure to purchase a super quiet fans since the additional fans will be running along with the two 5 inch super quiet fans that came with the unit.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us