Comcast hd box

Username: Edge71

San jose, Ca Usa

Post Number: 1
I'm kinda lcd/digital beginner....

I bought lcd tv and have comcast basic cable. To view hd broadcast what do I have to do?
Comcast digital cable package seems to be so expensive and I don't even need so many channals...

Anyway do I have to install comcast hd box?

Do I also need this box after I get digital cable service from comcast?

Thanks in advance!

Bronze Member
Username: Db10

Post Number: 13
It depends on the lcd tv. Does it have a built in QAUM system? If it does, then you will be able to pick up some HD Channels from comcast (I can pick up over 65 HD channels with only basic cable subscription). If not, scan and you should be able to pick up the DIGITAL channels at least (assuming your tv can pick up HD channels). Without the built-in QAUM, you will need the box I think!

Bronze Member
Username: Imjross

NJ USA

Post Number: 24
Hey...you got nothing to lose....try this...

Disconnect cable box....hook up cable DIRECT to TV

Go to Channels menu....enter AUTO PROGRAM...
wait wait wait.....Set will "look" for anything out there.....hey ya might get lucky...
....In Florida I got ....12 channels...no box
......In NY I got 2 channels...no box required
....In NJ I got 9 Channels.....
it all depends on what the cable company in your area restricts....They want you use their box so they can control ALL channels ...and charge more.... jr

Username: Will1546

Post Number: 1
I bought a motorola DCT2244/1661 for my comcast system. i got it off ebay from California. It only gets 1-24 and 49. Plus the time is set for Cal and I live in Fla. Any help in programming would be appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Lomna

Post Number: 293
My sumsung hd plasma tv has QUAM built in. But picking only one hd channels. I do have comast standered cable(inluding espn 1and 2 . Arn't espn are hd channels ?What I do to get more.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2320
­
Devin, your QAM tuner is going to work if Comcast decides to send any HD channel over the cable unincrypted. Even then, those "in the clear" channels will only be your locals. You will probably never see any of the mid-tier or premium HD channels, but who knows, that could change in the future. Right now, you'll need an HD cable box to see most HD channels.

One thing you should do is re-scan your cable channels often. Cable companies encrypt some channels on one day and not the next. They can reassign the frequencies of the cable channels, which won't show up unless you re-scan.
­

Silver Member

Post Number: 297
John S. Big thanks. I will follow what you have explained. But having trouble understanding how come my tv able to pick up hd signal from one local channel (news only) thru comcast cable(without the hd box) But not picking up hd signal from others hd channel like Espn ?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2321
­
As I said before, your QAM tuner works only on channels (HD and SD) that Comcast sends on the cable unencrypted, or in the clear. Only one HD channel does sound a little stingy, but that's the way it is on your cable and there's nothing you can do about it....other than renting an HD box from Comcast.

ESPN-HD is a mid-tier bundled channel and there's no way you're going to get it for free.

Sounds like somebody sold you a little too aggressively on the capabilities of a QAM tuner.
­

Silver Member

Post Number: 299
John...Thanks.I got it. Well explained.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us