Best Gaming TV

Username: Unodenero

Post Number: 2
What's the best gaming TV - particularly for Xbox 360 (I'm assuming the console doesn't really make a difference)

I'm looking for a 37"to 42" LCD or Plasma - price isnt too much of a restraint - any thoughts?

Username: Bubba53

Post Number: 2
Me too

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3667
If you're looking to play a lot of games, you might get burn-in with a plasma. With an LCD you're going to get blur on fast moving objects, but they don't burn-in.

Username: Unodenero

Post Number: 3
yea - i'm probably going to stick with LCD so i was wondering what would be the best LCD

Bronze Member
Username: Ghostcdn

Pescara, Abruzzo Italia

Post Number: 39
My 50" Samsung Plasma rocks with my Ps3 I would recommend this combo!

watching blue ray movies on it really looks good

Bronze Member
Username: Ghostcdn

Pescara, Abruzzo Italia

Post Number: 40
David I have played for hours on end on my Plasma and not experienced any so called "burn in"

I think it is an old Plasma Myth.

Platinum Member
Username: Basshead86

FTW

Post Number: 10199
no. it is an old Plasma Problem.
the newer plasma tv's ahve developed several technologies to deal with or completely eliminate "burn-in" pixel orbiting technology is the first 1 that comes to mind but i cant name the others.

you dont really have to worry about it if you buy a newer tv. stay away from the cheapies(vizio, westinghouse...yadda yadda) b/c they use older technologies to remain cheaper...you get what you pay for in a sense. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3998
That's not really true of plasmas, they definitely still have burn-in issues. It's the new game systems that have been designed to reduce the possibility of burn-in is why some people don't have problems.

I played a super nintendo game for about an hour with the contrast and brightness low on a new Panasonic plasma with pixel orbiter, it took three days for the image retention to completely go away and yes the TV was broken in properly for 200 hours a long time before playing the game was played.

If you're using a new game system, you're probably OK with a plasma, with old systems, you're not.

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10200
wow. didnt know that!!
that sucks man. lol

so i am new to the whole plasma tv thing. you have to "break them in" before displaying certain images and what not?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3999
Mostly you aren't supposed to have black bars or static images for the first 100-200 hours. Keeping the contrast at about half during that time is good too but isn't as important as the other two.

Manufacterers will try to say that new plasmas have about the same risk of burn-in as CRTs did, it's crap. They never made CRTs with anti burn-in technology because they didn't have burn-in problems. The only time I've ever heard of burn-in with a CRT is projection TVs back when channel logos weren't transparent. If you watched a projection TV on the same channel long enough, they would burn-in the logo sometimes.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12166
as he said, there is burn in, but it isn't permanent with new generation plasmas, like it was on old ones, and with proper care, there's little burn in even temporarily.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4001
Temporary retaining is called image retention and does go away after awhile. I guarantee if you leave a static image on a plasma long enough it will burn-in. You just have to be more careful with plasma than other TVs, it's the price you have to pay to get the superior picture quality of plasma.

Bronze Member
Username: Startlifeendlife

Post Number: 15
What does the breaking in do though? Make it harder for images to burn in?

I've had a dynex 40 inch plasma for about 2 weeks now and am worried about burn in because it is a cheaper tv. I would say the tv run time has been under 40 hours. Is it too late to do a proper break in?

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10219
wow....well i am glad i have talked to some people who really know what the deal is with plasmas. i was under the assumption that burn-in had been completely eradicated as something that plagued plasma tvs. but i suppose the tradeoff for superior picture quality is worth it in the long run, or for what application the tv is being used for.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4004
When the TV is new the phosphorus gas has a lot higher risk of burn-in, thus the break-in period. After 100-200 hours of break-in the risk of burn-in is a lot less.

As long as you haven't had black bars or static images, you're fine. If you have, you shouldn't have anymore until the TV is broken-in. If you want to get through the break-in fast, there are discs you can play on repeat until it's broken-in.

Platinum Member

FTW

Post Number: 10250
like something you would leave on while you were at work? :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4011
At work, overnight, anytime.

There's really no need for a break-in disc, unless what you're going to be watching during the first 100-200 hours has black bars or static images. It would definitely be wise to avoid video games until the TV is broken-in.

Username: Nick540

Post Number: 4
I know that your looking for a 42" but the Samsung LN52A650 is a good gaming TV.
Check out:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-ln52a650/4505-6482_7-32887597.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us