31" dish setup with motor

Bronze Member
Username: Rescate

VENEZUELA

Post Number: 31
Can anyone post a guide to do this?

The best set up for FTA is a 31" dish, Motor, and proper lnb for DBS ( dn-bev ) and true FTA ( QTH-031 the best LNB ).....and your receiver

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Ke5aqn

IF I DONT KNOW THE ANSWER, I WILL FIND...

Post Number: 1569
Sure I can help...What step are you on now? Do you have the Dish, Motor, LNB ?

Bronze Member

VENEZUELA

Post Number: 32
I don't gonna do this now, I want to know how exactly works, with my CW600 premium, I think I should still have 3 LNBS ont the same antenna.

But I'm not shure if the same bin can catch bv-dn and FTA.

Thanks

Bronze Member

VENEZUELA

Post Number: 35
Hello, ejem..

any answer yet?

Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1593
Sorry bud this thread got lost....

You will not need 3 LNB's with a motor set up. You use 1 that does both liner KU for the TRUE FTA channles and cicular for DN-BEV. I recomend the qth-031 LNB Its easy to use and easy to find..

The best set up for FTA is a 31" dish, Motor, and proper lnb for DBS ( dn-bev ) and true FTA ( QTH-031 the best LNB ).....and your receiver

Their are 31 sat's out their with programing on them with over 2500 channels you can get with a clear sky and that set up......

Cost is around $150 and set up is very easy most times easer than all the switching required with using 2 dishes to just get a few DN or BEV sat's that MAY or MaY NOT have channels working at the time.

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Pulp_fiction

Post Number: 568
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/HH-mount-installation.htm

Bronze Member

VENEZUELA

Post Number: 37
Thanks guys,

Very cool, but a last question I read the motor goes horizont-to-horizont and there is a different height for 119-110 I imagine the motor does also the skew angle and azimut right?

Thanks

Username: Monomono

Post Number: 1
Thanks for the helpful info here. I got a couple more questions:
- Changing birds does it take a long time, and do you need to fiddle with the receiver each time or is it automatic when you change channel
- Do you need to run an extra wire to the dish for the motor?

Bronze Member

VENEZUELA

Post Number: 39
Johno,
Did you read the guide?

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/HH-mount-installation.htm

Regards

Gold Member

Post Number: 1607
Yes please read that guide. No the motor does not move the skew it stay's tuned.

The motor turns in a angle so that if your tuned good for one sat all others will be tuned as well. What I do is use a weak sat to tune the antenna and all others are just a mattter of turning east or west to find.

Yes it does take a few seconds for the motor deponding on how far it has to move. Not very long has never bothered me.

After you get the receiver trained with the motor in set up all you do is change sat's or channels and the receiver will move to the correct sat.

Its all simple and I included the time it takes to set all this up in that 2 hours to install it.

Hope that clears some of this up

Upload

Username: Opie

DEEP SOUTH

Post Number: 2
The first thing is to be sure that you have a solid pole that is perfectly vertical. If your pole is not vertical you will not be able to track the entire arc acurately. This may be a bit less critical if you are using a very small (18") dish, but you should probably try to get a 30=36" dish if you can. Note that the larger a dish is, the greater the gain, but the sharper the focus - meaning that larger dishes are harder to aim than smaller ones. Try setting up Ku on a BUD for a challenge

Check with the manual that came with your dish to determine the elevation and offset angles for your location. You need these numbers to be as accurate as possible in order to get as many satellites as possible. The 2 numbers work together to aim the dish vertically and to alter the arc that the dish follows.

Mount the dish assemby on the motor and mount the positioner/dish combination on your pole. Be sure the positioner is at "0" (your IRD can drive it there). Point the whole assembly to an approximate "South". Tighten the bolts enough to hold everything, but not so tight that you can't move the assembly east/west as necessary.

Now, go to Lyngsat to find your southernmost satellite. If you are using only a circular polarity LNB the southern bird for you may be several degrees off of "true" south, but that is NOT a problem. You will have more choices if your primary LNB is linear.

The southernmost satellite is the one that corresponds most closely to your Longitude. For example, my longitude in Albany, NY is 73.8 degrees so my southernmost (ie. highest) satellite is SBS6 at 74 degrees. If I were only using a circular LNB my highest bird would be Nimiq 2 at 82 degrees.

Using your IRD (receiver) enter your longitude and other information for your southern satellite and drive the dish - using USALS - to the location of that satellite. Check with Lyngsat to find a active transponder and set your program on that TP.

Go back to the dish and SLOWLY move the dish/positioner ASSEMBLY east or west on the pole until you get a signal. Maximize that signal with very small movements and then tighten the bolts holding the motor to the pole. Once you have done this you may want to try to max out the vertical setting by gently presssing on the top or bottom of the dish to slightly change look angle.

Verify that the dish you are looking at is the correct one by scanning a single transponder and comparing what you get with the Lyngsat or SATCO DX lists. If you have the wrong bird you will need to move the dish/positioner assembly a few degrees ON THE POLE until you find the one you are looking for.

Almost done!!!

Now that you have your highest satellite all set use the USALS program to drive the dish to a satellite at the end of the arc. I use G10R on one end, Echostar 3 on the other. Once the dish has moved there again use your program to scan a transponder that you know is active. You MAY need to make a few minor adjustments, but you should now be able to find all the satellites you can see from your position - USALS will go directly to them.

If you are using 2 LNBs on your dish you should be sure to put the linear LNB at the primary focus point and strap the circular LNB to the side of it (Either side is OK). You can compensate for this offset by changing your Longitude FOR THE CIRCULAR POLARITY satellites (BEV, D***). Other messages here suggest trying an offset of about 5 degrees - either east or west of your true location - depending on whether you mounted the second LNB on the "east" or "west" side of the linear LNB.

You are now done

Oh yes - how to find "True South". Using your installation program drive the dish to the "reference" (0) position. Go outside and look where the dish is pointing -- that is "True South". Notice that we did all this without knowing where "True South" was or even using a compass

Gold Member

Post Number: 1611
Thaks great guide...
Only diferance is the QTH-031 is a LNB that does both and would be placed on the provided holder so no modifying needed to get both circular and liner centered.

The rest is how I do a motor install.

The "pole" we have been using is a gate pole for chain link fence available at Lowes or Home depo for very little $ and 1 bag of ready mix cement. You would set the pole a day ore 2 before the antenna and stuff arrive as you will most likly have to order them from the nett anyway...

Or you can wall or roof mount like a 18" dish. I like the pole better for ease of adjusting and installing..

Upload

Username: Opie

DEEP SOUTH

Post Number: 6
Yeah, I use a 5/8 chain link fence post about 6' long and bury it about 2 feet with some "instant" concrete. A really good thing to buy is a fence post level which attaches to the pole and has 3 different bubbles so that it makes it real easy to level the pole. then in about 24 hours (depending on weather) you're good to go!

Post Number: 2
http://www.invacom.net/products/qth031.htm

Looks like QTH-031 has 4 outputs - you just need to use one?

Bronze Member

VENEZUELA

Post Number: 41
Many thanks to The FTA Tester, Opie & Pulp_fiction, for your advice.

Johno,

Seems to be QTH031 is NOT the right ONE to choose I thing we should go for the QPH-031 wich has both circular and linear polarization, I think this is what THE FTA TESTER wanted to tell us.

Regards

Gold Member

Post Number: 1617
Yes Johno that is the correct one. I have it and am quite pleased. Their are others and you could always use 2 separate LNB's modified to work on the dish. With the modified 2 LNB plan you could end up with one of the 2 out of the focus of the antenna's signal. That is why I feel so strongly that the qth-031 is the better choice.

Upload

Post Number: 3
Thanks FTA Tester. But how do you hook it up to the receiver? Seems it has one pair of outputs for circular and another pair for linear. Need to use a switch?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1621
Yes you put a ditck switch right their on the antenna.....goes like this from receiver to motor, from motor to switch, one port on switch goes to circular and one goes to leaner...then you set up antenna settings to represent how you used the switch....Its easy

Upload

Post Number: 4
Cool thanks.
Any recommendations for a motor? I have a 33" dish.

Bronze Member
Username: One_eye_jack

Post Number: 74
Check these people out, they will have everthing you need.http://sadoun.com/
Technical Support > Aiming Motorized Dish
Motor Comparison

HH100: STAB HH Mount Motor to surf several satellites. Good for any offset dish with a U-bolt mounting up to 100cm wide. Advanced technology and precision. +/- 65° Azimuth Rotation angle. Works with all DiSEqC 1.2, 1.3, USALS or "Goto X" compliant receivers

Download owner's manual English

http://sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/HH-mount-installation.htmUpload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1671
yes Yukon I have bought from that site several times. A Trusted seller and they do have great support.

Bronze Member
Username: Bugster999

Katy, Tx

Post Number: 72
I have enjoyed my 31inch antenna and motor. Although I have tested several receivers with my motor antenna the best one for me actually is the viewsat I have had less problems with this receiver on the motor and everytime they come out with a fix the pointing because that much easier on receiver so I have to give it to the Viewsat Coders on this one.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1674
I agree with that as well. I have a pancrap and a viewsat. I never could get the pansat to reamber were the sat's were so i set up a static antenna for it and got a viewsat for the motor it has no prob..

Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us