Lexar usb 1 gb

Silver Member
Username: Satgrl

Post Number: 829
ok i have my friends lexar usb 1 gb...and i dont have the manual or instructions on how to put a file into it...and when i put it in the front of my computer i open the documents it has recent bins in there but nowhere does it say ADD a file...do u think i should just drag the file into the documents of the usb? would it work? the file i am trying to put in there is a viewsat ultra bin..please help its urgent..oh and stupid question here..if i rename the bin will that make some effect it when i put it into the receiver with the USB? understand what i mean..sorry if im confusing..lol..please reply

Silver Member

Post Number: 830
by renameing the bin when i put it into the receiver (with lexar usb 1 gb) will it say wrong file or something?..that was my last question just to be clear.

Gold Member
Username: Ke5aqn

IF I DONT KNOW THE ANSWER, I WILL FIND...

Post Number: 1511
Ok I always recommend finding a cheep small usb drive to use and dedicate to just being used for that purpose. . The files you are going to be transferring are small. That USB drive is a little big for that but will work fine.

here is a guide on how to do it

http://www.totalfta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71910

BUT

do you have a serial cord and computer so you can do it using that?

Username: Carpie

Post Number: 2
You can just drag it or copy it to the usb device. You can also change the name but the file type must not be changed.. it must be .PGM . Otherwise the first part of the name should not be an issue.

Silver Member

Post Number: 831
thanks fta tester ...yeah i have rs232 sereal cord if thats what ur talking about..and i dont have the receiver with me im just going to load the bin into the usb!!..im confused..how do i load the bin into the USB ill get the receveir part later...lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 832
ok thanks carpie...are u sure if i just frag it into the documents it will work?

Silver Member

Post Number: 833
ok i found this document after i plugged in the usb...it says secureII and it says file shredder anyone has any id what that is?

Silver Member

Post Number: 834
idea*

Silver Member

Post Number: 835
ok i added the file to this folder that says encrypt..its a folder in the usb ...and it asks for a password? what is that for does anyone know

Silver Member

Post Number: 836
it says encrypt decrypt in the USB folder secure II....HELLOOOOOOOOOO ANYONEEEEEE which do i do encrypt or decrypt

Gold Member

Post Number: 1512
you will need to read that .pdf I linked in the post above.

Do not under any circumstances ever rename a .bin file. If you do and later need it you will not be able to ID it by its common name all over the world. I can not for the life of me see what benefit renaming the file would help here. That will cause more trouble you are having enought with this. Ok Enought said I hope on that.

do this:

Make a new folder on your desktop.

Go to total and get the latest .bin for the receiver.Put the bin in that new folder.

Go to viewsatusa.com and get the latest satfile and put this into that folder. Reason is these receivers are losing data when getting that new bin so to be safe have a fresh copy of the satinfo file.

Put USB drive in your Computer.

Move the new folder you made on the desktop to the USB Drive.

then safely remove the flash drive from computer....wait about 30 seconds....connect the flash drive back to the computer and make sure the file's you placed their for the receiver are on it.

Then go install thje drive into the receiver and using the usual steps it should be able to update.

I would after the new bin is installed also put the new satfile in the receiver. It will save a big headache...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1513
that flash drive has programs on it sounds like for encryption. That is to hide data on it. This is exaly why I like to see people use cheap ones that can be just for the FTA receiver..

Are you or whoever ever planning on using this USB drive for anything else?

Silver Member

Post Number: 837
well heres what i did downloaded the bin opened lexar usb and went to secure II and then i encrypted the bin into it..it asked for a password i did that..and then it started loading after that i unplugged the USB and then i put it back in and below the documents folder it said the bin file there..is that how u do it? i hope its right

Silver Member

Post Number: 838
no i think only for bin and a few file...but usually for bin

Gold Member

Post Number: 1514
the problem you will have with encrypting the bin file is the receiver will not be able to get to it on that usb drive. I would say the drive will need to be formatted first....then it be 100% blank no programs on it trying to encrypt data. Then follow the steps in my post above.

do you need instructions on how to format the drive? Its easy

Gold Member

Post Number: 1515
From the desktop of XP,

While the USB drive is connected
Click on start, my computer, hover the mouse pointer over the USB drive and RIGHT click and select format. answer all questions and it will format the drive so you can now use it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 839
thanks fta tester...im going to do ur steps above ok..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1518
Cool please dont forget to go get the sat file.

the receivers are losing that data you will need it too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 840
fta tester when u say move the folder to the desktop of the usb drive what do u mean by that? do i just drag it to the usb drive? that folder i created with the bin?

Silver Member

Post Number: 841
ok i will u mean the factory file???

Username: Redrum1

The famous hotel

Post Number: 3
its simple just right click the file scroll down to send to when screen pops up giving a list select lexar and that it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 842
lol yeah that works but i was afraid its not gonna work after ward when i try to put it in the receiver..

Username: Redrum1

The famous hotel

Post Number: 5
it will work.its the simplest way.if you listen to fta tester you will be doing his procedure all night.lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 843
lol i did mix mix procedure half urs half his..lol..thanks for everything fta tester and redrum...im out.thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1519
redbum I hope she got it ok with two of us instruction her it can get confusing.

Main things I was worried about

The usb drive automatically encrypting the files she added to it then the receiver not being able to ge the files from the drive due to the files being encrypted.

Her getting back to the receiver away from the computer and the receiver loosing the satfile info like most of the viewsat ultra's are doing with that bin.

All the steps I put will take a normal computer user about 5 min not "all night" and she will have everthing needed to update the receiver and we will know that thr receiver can get the files from the usb drive not encrypted.

I am just here to help nothing more

Gold Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 5655
A USB drive is treated just as another Hard drive by windows XP.
I have a Kingston USB drive, and a USB extension cord from back to front.
As soon as I plug my USB in the cord, it shows up as (I already have C,D,E,F,G,H drives)
DRIVE I:Kigston
under windows explorer. You add delete, move files use winzip on files exactly like your other hard drive(s). The beauty of USB drives is that you do not have to turn off the computer to attach/detach. You use the USB slot as if you were using a floppy slot. It is nice to have a USB extension cord for convenience.
I hope this explains some of the things that are being discussed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us