Downloading from pansat to laptop using windows vista

Username: Gsmax

Post Number: 7
I need some technical help. Been downloading bins for a couple of years with no problem until I switched from XP to Vista and changed to a laptop that does not have port for a null cable. So, I go out and buy a Belkin USB/serial adapter, download the driver in my new laptop with vista thinking everything is ok. Try to download the new bin to my receiver and HELLO, Windows Vista is saying they can't find the windows software for my device. I re directed to where I downloaded the driver, but seems like Vista and this driver aren't compatible. Now this is over my head. Am I not going in the right direction with this? Is there another type of adapter i should be using? Help, I'm frustrated now.

Gold Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 5572
USB/Serial adaptors work without trouble on Windows 98, with some trouble on Windows XP, and may work with a lot of adjustments on Windows Vista.
On the XP, you go into Device Manager and change the Port to 1,2,3, or 4. I do not have Vista,so I do not know what should be done.

Post Number: 9
Thanks Nalin. Hopefully someone elso will have some answers for me. I can't be the only person who has a pansat 2700 using a new laptop with an adapter in Windows Vista. I posted in the computer section too.

Gold Member
Username: Ke5aqn

IF I DONT KNOW THE ANSWER, I WILL FIND...

Post Number: 1373
I have the instructions for useing the adaptor from radio shack with vista I will go find it and you can try it to see if it will work. Its about all I can do to try to help you as I am not their with you. stand by a few moments while I locate the info..

Bronze Member
Username: Sparky41701

Chavies, Ky Usa

Post Number: 50
im i got the same probelm to max i do have a old pc thats getting me by right now but i need to get my laptop where i can se it so maybe tft or nalin can help}}}}}

Gold Member

Post Number: 1377
I found some info but I need the adapters model # to see if it has drivers for vista....

Same goes for you Sparky post the manufacture and model #

Bronze Member

Chavies, Ky Usa

Post Number: 51
the one at radio shack FTF does it work good with vista the one i got came off ebay i have the disk but it wont load so i just need another cable btw people like you and nalin and a few more are a big help on here thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1379
Yes I can get you instructions on how to make that one work.

A warning here I tried to help a user the other day and he did not want to do it like the page advises and as a result he never got the adaptor to work. BrB with the info...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1380
Ok sparky simply go here a fellow Ham got it working and wrote a nice how to for ya...follow it to the t and it should work..

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=155296

Gold Member

Post Number: 1381
Oh and just so you know I found that by putting

radio shack vista usb serial adaptor

in google it was like the second link easy google is a great TOOL for finding info

Bronze Member

Chavies, Ky Usa

Post Number: 52
thanks a bunch

Post Number: 10
my model number for the adapter I picked up is F5u409v1. If this is not compatable, I'll return it. Maybe you could advise me which adapter will work.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1387
max,

take it back its not compatible as of now. Go to radio shack or find one on ebay thats lists vista support their are some on their...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks Tester. I'll take your advice.

Bronze Member
Username: Imars99

BRAMPTON, ONT CANADA

Post Number: 18
I have vista i had use two USB/serai adapter.No problem at all.Even in vista you dont need to install driver. it pick automaticlly.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1397
Rocky,
Statements like that do not help. If you will google usb serial adapter vista you will see people all over the world are havening trouble with some of them. Just because you got lucky and tried 2 that was vista compatible does not mean the ones he used were. Your computer could have a diferant vista than hin as well like an example his could be home your pro. More updates, the manufacture could have loaded more drivers in yours before you got it, all kinds of things could be differant. We are all here to help it is best to just find out as much about a problem from a user and try to help them solve it. Saying things like "well it worked for me easy" like you just did is rude, and not helpful.

Furthermore I found a page on the manufacture of his adapter's website the stated it was not vista compatible so even with your ease of installing devices so far in your machine it would not have been compatible.

He has already stated he was going to return the item and get one more vista friendly so the topic was closed so to speak anyway..

Silver Member
Username: Charjam

Post Number: 256
Well fellas i have went through all of that , I had xp and my computer crashed so i bought a new one with Vista windows .now the cable that i had was from radio shack and it would not work , I went to circuit city , they don't carry it i went to best buy and theirs would not support vista so i went to e-bay and plugged it in and went down the line until i found one that said supports Vista windows and i found one for 3. 00 the name of the company is shopacc . It works fine hope this helps ma lot of people because i was about to buy a new comput desk top just to do these box'es

Bronze Member
Username: Imars99

BRAMPTON, ONT CANADA

Post Number: 19
The Fta tester perhaps you are right.First adapter i used was made by Dynex and other is HL-USB-RS232.Second one surpriselly dont not support
Vista.It is very cheap($9.99) one but it still working very well with Vista.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1400
David I posted a link to a site that has instructions on how to get the one from radio shack to work...too late to help you now but I am glad you got one that works for you..

Every Time Winblows introduces a new OS we all go threw this same problem....devices and programs that worked great with the older OS's can have trouble working in the new environment.

Bronze Member
Username: Pike_376

Post Number: 65
THE FTA TESTER- I need some help again please. Not the same prob as yesterday.

I have a pansat 2500a converted to a 2700, need to know what to do to convert back to a 2500 and start all over again. Which files do i need and step by step instructions would be great. I would then like to know what all has to be put back into it to reconvert to a 2700. and the order the files have to be downloaded to the receiver

Gold Member

Post Number: 1402
Josh,

start a new thread and Nalil is the man when it comes to these conversion issues \also their is a thread already with instructions on how to do that..

Bronze Member
Username: Pike_376

Post Number: 68
do you have the thread info so I can go to it

Gold Member

Post Number: 1403
Its your LoL thread

Nalin will help ya
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us