DVD recorder interruption during vcr to dvd dubbing

Username: Mickw

Naples, Florida USA

Post Number: 2
During vcr to dvd dubbing with a sony rdr-vx525, the recorder stops periodically--sometimes as often as every sixty seconds--and leaves the following message "Updating the information of disc. Please wait for a moment". At the same time the front panel of the recorder displays "INF WRITE". When the disc is finalized and played back, I can neither fastforward or backup past the location where the disc "Updating...". I have to watch a pause, about 5 seconds of tv, and then the disc will play until the next "Updating.." occurrance. Interestingly I have tried re-dubbing these vhs tapes and they always are "Updating .." at the exact same spot. The spot does not necessarily fall at a point where the original recording was turned off or on or interrupted in any way. This is very annoying. Any thoughts?

Thank You

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3641
Are you using RCA jacks for dubbing? Sounds like a weak VHS signal making the recorder think there's no signal. Some recorders are more prone to this problem than others.

Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 1
maybe "bad" DVD blanks

which brand are you using?

Username: Sonybuff

Help - I have the same problem - on a brand new out-of-the box VX-525 machine -
I'm using Verbatim DVD +R disks.
The RX525 dubs VHS to DVD internally, There are no RCA cables involved.
What brand and type of DVD disk have all the successful users been using?

Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 4
Verbatim discs are suppose to be some of the better ones.

I only use made-in-Japan discs that are very difficult to find in retail stores.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3674
Are the Verbatim discs made in Taiwan or India? If they are MIT discs, it's not the discs. It's either a problem with the recorder or the VHS signal is too weak and the recorder thinks there's no signal.

Username: Blue2

New Jersey

I have the exact same problem with Sony RDR VX525. Purchased different/faster DVD blanks with no change in results.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3680
I think Sony is using Samsuck for thier recorders these days. If so, that's surely the problem.

Username: Wfred

I had the same problem, trying all types of disks-ruining many. I finally called the helpline and was told that since I was using Sony disks and still having problems, that is was the equipment. I sent it out for warrenty repair. It was fixed, and has been working fine since then.

Now I accidently reset the remote command to DVD 1, while trying to understand what each one did. Now I can't use the remote to get out of it, so I can't finalize any DVDs. I also can't figure out if there is a setting I can use for the DVD's to be able to edit the DVD scenes on my computer. I can play back the DVD's on my computer without finalizing them.

Any success with anyone?

Username: Maxproducts

does anyone know what type of compression the vhs-dvd transfer process uses in the high quality mode? ie. mpeg mpeg2 ( is there a substantial difference?

Username: Maxproducts

sorry, for the sony rdr-vx525 steve}

Username: Blue2

New Jersey

I went on different forums and found out that it might be the VHS tapes. I tried a different VHS tape and had no problems dubbing it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us