Change comm ports on laptop

Bronze Member
Username: Bvvenegas

Post Number: 24
does anyone know how to change comm ports on a laptop? when i try to download new bin it stays at 0%? and no matter where i plug usb it only brings out down load screen on comm 3 none of the other 3 usb ports. please someone help me

Gold Member
Username: Ke5aqn

IF I DONT KNOW THE ANSWER, I WILL FIND...

Post Number: 1092
tell me a few things first....whats your OS ? have you ever used the laptop for this before? I need to know as much as you can tell me so I can diagnose your problem..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
1st time what is os

Bronze Member
Username: Me_me

Post Number: 19
usb to serial adapter i have to install the driver which i think there should be a cd with the driver. then you right click my computer then you to hardware then device manager then a winow should pop up. When done loading open the one where it says PORTS (COM& LPT) click the plus arrow and it will tell you which com it is on unless the driver is not installed right it would de yellow with a question mark. If it is installed right check the com pot then open loader 2 then go to tools confiuration and put the com port it said in the device manager then restart loader 2 and it should be fine

Bronze Member
Username: Me_me

Post Number: 20
after selecting com 1 or 2 ,
hit defaults setting.

then load file while box is pluged in and turn on from the back after hitting file to box.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
okay fta tester i go every time i hit download
it stats at 0% and no matter what port i plug usb into it will only bring out download on comm 3? and i go to change comm and it will not let me change my comm it stays on comm 7 does not let me select a differnt one

Gold Member
Username: Dude123

Post Number: 1362
Ok first of all make sure that the adapter you are using is Windows Vista compatible, because most of them are not. After that you want to install the driver that came with it, if it didn't come with one go to the internet and download it from there. Then you go to your control pannel and then system, then click on the devices tab under there go to device manager. In device manager you will seee all the plugs and usbs and port and all that stuff find your usb and right click to find its properties go under advance options and change the com port there. Don't change it to the ones that are already in use make sure you choose one that DOESN'T say "(in use)"......GOOD LUCK

Gold Member

Post Number: 1097
Humberto,

is your laptop windows vista or XP ? That is your OS or operating system....sorry i got side tracked LoL

Gold Member

Post Number: 1098
I have the instructions for useing the usb to serial adapter from like Radio Shack on a vista laptop here:

1. Go here http://www.floridaprobe.com/usb_install.htm and towards the bottom of the page you will see this "Driver Installation files for Radio Shack users"

2. Download the files.

3. Extract them (it will create a folder called "rshack") and copy the rshack folder to the C:\Windows\inf\ folder (I am going to assume the C: drive at this point if you use another drive just change the C: to whatever it is)

4. If you have your cable attached go to the control panel.
Select Hardware and Sound.
Select Device Manager.
In the other devices section you should see something like USB to Serial, Right click and select Update Driver Software.
Select Browse my computer for driver software.
In the dialog box type in the directory you put the files in earlier
(C:\Windows\inf\rshack)
Make sure you have a check mark in check subfolders box.
Click next.
At this point Vista should find the driver files for you.
The driver is not digitally signed so you will get a dialog wanting you to confirm installation of the drivers.
After this completes you are good to go!
You should be done.

5. If you have not attached your cable.
Complete all steps up to and including step 3.
Plug in your cable.
Allow Vista to look for your device...
When it can't find it select other options and then browse my computer for driver files.
Point it to the C:\Windows\inf\rshack folder make sure the check subfolders box is selected.
Click next.
At this point Vista should find the driver files for you.
The driver is not digitally signed so you will get a dialog wanting you to confirm installation of the drivers.
After this completes you are good to go!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
fta tester in device manager it only shows the port that i have my usbto sereal adaptor and it does not show any other usb ports and it does not let me change it

Gold Member
Username: Rtap

FL

Post Number: 1243
right click on device manager.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1100
is your laptop XP or vista?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
fta tester it is vista

Gold Member

Post Number: 1101
then do that what I posted it will work
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us