Can't Record Cable TV with VCR DVD Combo

Username: Heatshrinktube

Post Number: 1
We can't record TV shows to VCR from Time Warner basic cable (no box, just a cable from the wall) since we changed to one of the newer dvd/vcr combo units. Had no problem before when the old VCR had R6 Coax "in from ant" and "out to TV". These newer VCR/dvd combo units don't have the coax connections. Do we need a combo unit with a tuner? Do we need a splitter? We want to keep it simple like it was before if it's possible.
I've read allot of the forums but can't find a straight answer if we need a combo unit with a tuner or not. How about the splitter, do we need that?
On top of that, Panasonic web-site has a note: "will not record paid programs, only free programming" referring to a unit with tuner so I'm not even sure if getting a combo unit with tuner will solve the problem.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3622
You either need a VCR with a tuner or a cable box. They quit putting tuners in cheapo combos because they have to have ATSC tuners now. If you are wanting to record premium movie channels you may have problems with some movies and not with others. Last I knew Starz still wasn't using copy protection.

Username: Heatshrinktube

Post Number: 2
Thank you Dave,
This takes away most all of the confusion and it appears you have helped many others as well on VCR recording issues.
Oh, Your answering is helping at least three additional families here in Maine having the same problem as us. I volunteered to help figure it out.
We now know we need either a recorder with an ATSC tuner or have a cable/satellite box.
Now we have another dilemma:
The VCR DVD combo we want to buy is PANASONIC DMR-EZ37VK, the add say's ATSC but ownwers manual on Panasonic web-site says "Television system:
TV system: NTSC system". I don't know enough about this to figure it out.
Another dilemma is that the cheapo dvd/vcr combos people bought two years ago with the RF(coax) in/out are still working fine.
The new cheapo units don't have the tuner but the older cheapo ones did; is that it?
There must be millions of people with this problem. We have been recording for years with no problem until now.
Barry

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3625
By FCC mandate all new recorders either have to have ATSC tuners or no tuner at all as the day of analog OTA broadcasts coming to an end draws near, February 17 2009 if I remember correctly.

If you're looking at current model Panasonic DVD recorders, they should all have an ATSC tuner if they have a tuner. It's VCR/DVD player combos that don't have a tuner in the VCR anymore. No one is going to pay what it would cost for an ATSC tuner for a VCR these days. DVD recorders have so much better PQ I don't know why anyone would want to record with a VCR anymore anyway.

Username: Glmmkm

Eden Prairie, MN USA

In other words the VCR/Dvd Combo units cannot record on the VCR and use the programing feature of the VCR. This is false advertizing! My Sony manual states and shows how to program in recording of programs.
Waht about using a Rf modulator box for the Coax. connection to the cable and then to the TV. The boxes have Video/Audio out to the VCR input line. If You could get a switchable box to playback DVD's and VCR's separately would the box give the VCR a signal to record from? Not sure what else to try.
Any help greatfully appriciated.
Glen

Username: Pjboo

Houson, Texas USA

Have the same issue described here.
Is it possible to buy/build the old type receiver for input from the cable to the VCR/DVD?

Alternately, can the old VCR (that has a tuner still working) be an intermidiarly to the new VCR/DVD (placed between the cable line and the combo unit)? Or the receiver scavenged to accomplish this?

Have 3 old VCRs with good tuners but dead VCR (tape eaters) and, if this is possible, I'm regretting ditching the last 3 that died.

Username: Cool_kid

AURORA, IL

I was talking to cable seller and they said they gonna do something so everybody who has cable will need a box for the cable tv for every tv set they own

Houson, Texas USA

Cool Kid, thanks for posting. I'd lost this link. Turns out it's easy to record (so far). digital to analog converter and all the old VCRs plugged in after the converter and, voila, recording again.

Oh, yes, indeed, the cable companies are planning to make it impossible to use TVs without individual descramblers. That was the plan from the beginning. They backed the switch from analog to digital, delayed their own conversion to sign everyone up, and now will require renting or buying descramblers for each TV set. Originally, they'd targeted 3 years after the transition but they've been steadily moving that up because everyone is pretty much "stuck" now.

Me, I'm going back to a huge antenna and just plain broadcast TV; my very own little boycott.

AURORA, IL

The no tuner vcr/dvd combo's are for people who
have satalite or dtv boxes.
they all have a/v connections so you can connect them together

AURORA, IL

Post Number: 3
here a history of what i had

1- ONTV transmitted on channel 44 scramble (unscrable with a small box) or mess with the fine tuning - now 44 is some other station

2 - cable (metro vision) box only needed for movie channels (HBO,SHO, ETC)

moved

3 - satalite only problem need boxes for every tv
yeah direct tv that was prime star (no dish network then) started with one box and ant on roof

3a we went to satalite because we called the cable company and said they had no cable at
our site; that was imposable because are neigbors had cable.

moved again

well got more satilite boxes but can't put ant
on roof (where it would get the best reception)
stupid housing assocation

Houson, Texas USA

Post Number: 3
Sympathies. I moved because I was president of the ever so stupid housing association and couldn't get squat changed!

Username: Jsrskr

perhaps I am stupid, but I too do not have a cable box with mediacom in Illinois. My old DVD player VCR works great, but I can not use the new ones without tuners to record to the VCR. The cable company has taken care of the digital conversion, I have both kinds of TVs, they all work. What "cheap" solution is there to record? I don't care about super high quality video or audio?

Username: Jsrskr

can I put a cable box on a cable line that doesn't need one to enable it to be a usable signal to my non tuner dvd vcr?

Can I use a digital to analog converter to do this? I don't need that either. The Tvs work fine.

Can I use some kind of tuner? Can you buy them?

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 212
John,

I have Cablevision. I subscribe to their basic TV package which means just ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS.

I have a cable box, but don't use it since my TV and my DVD recorder has a digital tuner.

For a DVD-VCR combo without a tuner, the best option is to see if Mediacom offers you a cable box for free. Tell them you need it for an old TV.

Otherwise, you'll need to find a ATSC + AQM converter box. These converters as standalone boxes aren't that common, but readily available for PCs.

Username: Cosmolazz

We have Comcast and can't record TV programs on our VCR since we got the new converter box. We really want to be able to record programs when we can't watch something. Do we have to get a DVR?. Is it easy to set it up. We are very "Electronically Challenged" here. I don't want to buy the wrong thing. Thanks for any help anyone can give

AURORA, IL

Post Number: 4
to the people with new cable box on what channel on the TV do you watch it from ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 528
Shirley,

You Comcast converter box should have a set of yellow+red+white RCA jacks. You would connect those to the same yellow+red+white jacks on your VCR and set your VCR to LINE IN1 or LINE IN2.

Without seeing a picture of your Comcast converter box, I can't be any more specific.

AURORA, IL

Post Number: 6
My DVD / VCR RECORD is picky a bit does not want to record
some programs that are not copy protected but says it is

it a samsung with no turner - get programs from direct tv

so right know i using OLD VCR to record some shows

Username: Cosmolazz

ieee488
Thanks. We will try that.

Username: Doug_r

VIOLA, Illinois United States

Post Number: 5
I haave a Phillips DVD/VCR and a Phillips TV model 20PT5441/37. They are connected with a RF modulator. I can play VCR tapes and DVD's, but I cannot record from the TV onto the VCR tape. Can yoy help.

Username: Butchie77

I just purchased a Toshiba #620 dvd recorder/vcr with out tv tuner!what should i buy??

Silver Member

Post Number: 720
Do you have cable?
Or are you using an antenna?

Silver Member

Post Number: 721
Why are you private messaging people?

Just post a response on this message board.

Since you have a cable box with a DVR, you will need to set the cable box to the channel you want to record and connect composite cables (red+white+yellow) from the cable box to your Toshiba 620.

Set your Toshiba to record from LINE_IN1 or LINE_IN2 or whichever you are actually using.

Username: Natelivliv

Alger, 14 Algérie

Post Number: 6
You can pick any HDMI input you wish, just write down the number to remember.

The outputs from the cable box to the DVD/VCR combo should allow you to record also. You just won't be able to record one channel and watch a different one anymore. Whatever channel the cable box is set to is the one that will record.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us