Second tv off sky box - V, but no A ?

Username: Cujimmy48

Mallorca Spain

Post Number: 1
Getting v. good picture but no sound from second tv using Sky box RF out socket and coax (RF power on at sky box) ). Manually tuning second tv well away from good picture, I can get very poor sound. Second tv checks ok with scart cable ( A and V ). What am I doing wrong please ?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1889
­
David are you by chance hooking up a Skybox built for the English market to a TV built for the Spanish market? The UK uses PAL-I while the rest of Europe that has PAL use a slightly different system known as PAL-B/G.

On RF (i.e. via a Modulator or TV Aerial) the difference between I, D/H and B/G is audio. These use different audio subcarriers, so with mismatch on Modulator Settings or an imported TV there will be perfectly normal Colour Video, but possibly no audio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL#All_PAL_systems_interoperable_except_PAL-M_.285 25.2F60.29
­

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1890
­
You could try a 2-way SCART splitter. You would be effectively limited to distance of 15 meters per SCART cable.

http://www.astarsolutions.co.uk/products/?pc=1135

Username: Mudball

Scottsdale, AZ United States

Post Number: 1
Are there any after market units available to be able to send wireless signals to other TV's in my home from my DirectTV HD system?

Mallorca Spain

Post Number: 2
John S,thank you for your reply and, yes, that is it. So can I overcome that problem without a) running a ridiculously long scart cable, b) using wireless, which I have tried but getting too much external interference, c) find a UK tv, d) use a second sky box, e) run a dedicated audio cable scart to scart? Also would the coax allow me to use a magic eye for sky box control from second tv?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1891
­
David, the first possible solution would be to run audio and video cable from the composite outputs (yellow/red/white) of the skybox to the line inputs of the Spanish TV. Of course, this assumes you have the appropriate outs on the satbox and the corresponding ins on the TV in question. I know that is a long shot. Most likely the TV doesn't have any input besides the ant in. If so, that won't work.

Meanwhile, check this out:

http://www.howtoconvert.co.uk/howpali2palbg.htm

By the way, I'm surprised you can receive Sky that far south. Astra 2 South Beam no doubt?

Dirk, you might get more attention if you start your own thread titled something like "Home wireless video distribution?" Meanwhile check this out:

http://www.smarthome.com/7656l.html
­

Mallorca Spain

Post Number: 3
Juhn S, thanks again for your input however I have cracked it after further research. Older Spanish TVs indeeed have a different audio standard to uk. An inline modulator (€50)will sort that out. However, new TVs here multistandard so modulator not needed. I bought a flat screen yesterday, plugged in the coax and now aok. Yes, Sky is available here but I need a 1.6m dish and even then Ch4 fades in the evening, but then, so do I sometimes!

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1895
­
"However, new TVs here multistandard so modulator not needed."

What with the digital TV and HiDef revolution, pretty soon there will be just one world standard, except for the line voltage of course.

"I bought a flat screen yesterday, plugged in the coax and now aok."

Good to hear your problem is solved. I knew you were talking about an old TV when you said above that you were "Manually tuning second tv well away from good picture"... There's no manual tuning on modern TVs.

"and even then Ch4 fades in the evening, but then, so do I sometimes!"

Just another day in paradise....gets a little tiring does it not? Upload
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us