USB / Serial

Bronze Member
Username: South2

Post Number: 58
Hi Nalin/AV/LK,

I need to use usb port on my laptop to load file on VSXtreme. I found the following info from an FTA store site. Is this all that I need? It costs about $20.00. Does it work for both null and straight--I have a VSX and a converted 2700. Thanks very much.

C/P from FTA store site:

6Ft. USB/Serial Converter

Converts any DB9 Serial Cable into USB. Compatible with all computers, drivers cd-rom included.

The USB to DB9 Serial Adapter from Cables To Go provides the connection between USB and the traditional RS-232 serial port. The adapter is designed for connections to Cellular phone, PDA, digital cameras, modems, or ISDN terminal adapters through your USB port with over 230 kbps data transfer rate. Since the adapter uses no IRQs, it is perfect if you need many serial devices attached to your PC.

Features

• Connectors: One USB A to DB9 Male
• Supports automatic handshake mode
• Over 230kbps data transfer rate
• Supports remote wake-up and power management
• 96 byte buffer each for upstream and downstream data flow
• Easy installation
• Works with cellular phones, PDA, digital cameras, modems, and ISDN terminal adapters
• Frees your RS-232 ports for other uses
• No IRQs, no IRQ conflicts

Silver Member
Username: Charjam

Post Number: 239
I also have a laptop and the problem with these cables is lot of them are not compatable with Vista windows . I had one from radio shack that worked good with XP but not Vista . Bought one from Best Buy and would not work with Vista . Finaly got one from ebay for 3.00 that works good so make sure it works with Vista if you have it ..

Bronze Member
Username: Sparky41701

Chavies, Ky Usa

Post Number: 39
David do you rembember who you got the cable from on ebay thanks

Silver Member
Username: Charjam

Post Number: 241
Yes ( Shopacc )

Bronze Member
Username: South2

Post Number: 60
Hi guys,

Can anybody answer my questions posted above? Repeating the questions:

I need to use usb port on my laptop to load file on VSXtreme. I found the following info from an FTA store site. Is this all that I need? It costs about $20.00. Does it work for both null and straight--I have a VSX and a converted 2700. Thanks guys.

Silver Member
Username: 1tina_chick

Post Number: 122
This cable sounds great my old PC just died and I'd like to hook up usb, but will it work with a Mac ?.... Any Ideas ?

Gold Member
Username: Donnie1973

Post Number: 1795
the cable is right, a little overpriced, but will work.
It should work with mac as well. it would say in the specs

Gold Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 4846
I like this:
"drivers cd-rom included." This is very important.

I do not like this
i½ No IRQs, no IRQ conflicts"

Most loader software uses COM 1 to Com 4 ports working through IRQ ports.

If you have both types of cables (straight and null) then fine, otherwise you should also get a M/F null converter. This will make your current cable to be used one way without the converter and the other way with converter.

Bronze Member
Username: Sjain80

Post Number: 70
hey nalin,
Where can I find this male female null converter. I searched at ebay but not able to find it. Do you think I can find it at local walmart. I am trying to fix my fortec receiver and it seems like as if my rs232 st8 cable isn't working cuz I am getting connection error. I fixed my viewsat yesterday the same way using viesat cable so I know the process is right. can you suggest if there is a way to check if my cable is going bad.. thanks for the help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
would this be the right item to buy..thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/9-Pin-DB9-M-F-Null-Modem-Adapter-STSI_W0QQitemZ140176954293Q QihZ004QQcategoryZ41993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
or how about this one..I am trying to find out if I am looking at the right product..thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/DB9-MALE-TO-FEMALE-NULL-MODEM-ADAPTER-M-F-S-H-C-6_W0QQitemZ3 20180271831QQihZ011QQcategoryZ41995QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member

Post Number: 1798
radio shack has them... it a null modem adaptor

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
THANKS dantetn..I will go tomorrow and buy one..it's worth a shot..I bought one online anyway...but it will take few days to get here..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1808
gl, I have found that it may be on com4 when usinf it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us