HD with QAM/ATSC

Username: Tiggerpounce

Post Number: 2
I just bought a Panasonic TC-32LX70 as a bedroom tv. I don't plan on hooking up a cable box (we have comcast), and I choose the tv because I thought with the ASTC tuner I would be able to get HD over the air and with the QAM maybe get some unscrambled from comcast. The question is now that I've hooked it up, how do I get these stations. When I auto programmed it, the only channels it finds are the channels I would expect to get without a box (channel 1 thru 25). I see people referring to hyphen stations (i.e. 95-1), how do I get those. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1883
­
You will not receive any HD channels (other than maybe the locals) with a QAM tuner. Cable companies charge for them, just like they do for the standard def. movie channels and other premium stuff. Comcast is not obligated to send even the local HD signals unscrambled on your basic cable line.

BTW, You must confirm regestered channels by selecting "Apply" and then "OK" after the scan is completed. Before the scan you must select "Ant In", "Cable", and "All Channels".
­

Username: Tiggerpounce

Post Number: 3
So what is the point of the QAM tuner, I thought it would allow me to get some unscrambled stations?

Gold Member
Username: Cableguy

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 1008
So what is the point of the QAM tuner
So you can receive any unscrambled digital or HD channels. Just in case you forgot, some people still rely on rabbit ears for reception. Once they turn off analog transmissions you'll need a QAM tuner to pull in OTA transmissions.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1885
­
"Once they turn off analog transmissions you'll need a QAM tuner to pull in OTA transmissions."

Now I'm the one who's confused. Isn't the ATSC tuner for OTA and the QAM for unscrambled digital cable channels?

Also while I have your attention: After the digital changeover are all channels on basic cable going to be digital, or can a cable company send a few channels analog so that those poor souls out there with the wire and an old TV won't have to get a cable box?
­

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3602
Local channels are mandated by the FCC to stay on analog cable until 2012, so there will still be analog channels. National channels are under no such mandate and can convert to digital whenever they choose.

You have it right, ATSC is the OTA tuner. QAM is for unscrambled digital cable channels.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1886
­
Thanks David. I feel better now.

Gold Member
Username: Cableguy

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 1010
Wouldn't digital/HD transmissions still be OTA?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1888
­
Yes indeed. The point is that one doesn't need a QAM tuner to receive HD OTA signals.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us