USB to Serial, Serial to Null, Null to Receiver HELP PLEASE

Bronze Member
Username: Book77

Post Number: 82
Let me start. I have a Captiveworks 600S.
I recntly purchased a USB Serial Cabel. I installed the driver. It aparently was successful. It even told me what port it was installed.

So I tired to install the new BIN file. No comunication between my laptop and receiver. So i tried the obvious things. Tried differnet ports all that kind of stuff.

Any suggestions.

I did think the driver software was not great.

I even checked my Hardware COntrols and it is telling me the hardware is functioning properly

Bronze Member
Username: Francodeman

Post Number: 13
I have the same set up with a laptop. Can you verify when you plug in the USB serial cable to your laptop, it shows the correct com port. To find out, plug is cable to your computer. (assume win xp) Hit start, control panel, performance and maint, system, hardware, device manager, ports. It should say the same as the com port on your loader your using. If not, this is where you can change your USB com settings to match.

- ur using correct cable, straight or null...right?

Silver Member
Username: Rtap

FL

Post Number: 678
jim hope this helps.

Here's what you'll need:
Null modem cable (probably got one with your receiver)

(download these from file section here)

Here's what you do:

1. Download loader and bin to your computer. Unzip the bin and copy it to somewhere you can find it easily when browsing from your loader.

2. With the receiver turned off on the rear switch, connect it to your computer via the null cable.

3. Put your machine into either (a) STANDBY or (b) BOOT mode (you can load it either way).

(a) To get it to STANDBY mode, turn the receiver's rear switch ON, and when you see 00:00 on the display, turn OFF using the FRONT button; you will then see --:-- (STANDBY).
(b) To get to BOOT mode, hold the front power button, and turn the rear switch ON; you will see "boot" displayed.

4. Open the loader and browse for the bin where you saved it unzipped. Select it and click start.

5. Wait until you see "end", then you can power off the receiver and disconnect from computer.

You have successfully upgraded your software!

http://ftabins.net/showthread.php?t=5811

Gold Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 4128
Most USB to serial converters give you a straight RS232 output. If your receiver requires a null modem input,then you need a M/F serial to null modem converter that switches Pins 2 and 3. Your Radio Shack would carry this

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 12953
Anybody who seriously listens to nalin., is dumber than dirt!...just fuuuucck her and go talk to rat shack,get a driver and an adapter..

Username: Huremkic

Post Number: 2
I have pansat 2700a recaiver and null cable I can conect to receiver but not to comp. Do i need usb cable to and what number, or what kind. what is latest loader and bin for pansat 2700a for dish and gc, and how do I download loader and bin to my comp. and how do I transfer that to my receiver

Silver Member
Username: Timscarlet

Usa

Post Number: 256
Hello, i had the same problem with the captiveworks loader, make sure you turn the "on" button on, in the top corner of loader to connect.

Bronze Member
Username: Koku99

Post Number: 32
The USB to Serial does not work on the captiveworks. I've tried it on the viewsat and fortec and it works. For some reason I could not get it it working on captiveworks. I tried numerous times and gave up.

Gold Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 4138
Fortec uses Straight cable. Viewsat is usually null cable. Captiveworks is Null cable.
In any case if you have a M/F converter (Stright to Null), you will find the you should be able to get things going, either iwth converter in line or converter not in line.

Bronze Member
Username: Lokbongtom

Post Number: 32
The USB to Serial has alot of trouble to date ,while using to transfer data with STB ,
half of this adpter sold on Ebay didn`t worked at all ,some model you need to install a kind of software in order to to install its driver properly ,During install with Window most of them you have to force to install driver manually , some model interfered with other devices like GPS cellphone ect.. otherwise if you got it work it is lucky! but data transfer speed isn`t as fast as compare to desktop
LBT
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us