Viewsat plat/Lite problems with tv and dvd recorder

Silver Member
Username: Tigger_woods

Flutopia

Post Number: 151
Firstly...I have been reading/searching in all areas here, no answers found in other sections.

I want my tv,dvd recorder and Viewsat to be all hooked up together with AV cables and or s video.I can get a great picture with av and s video with just tv and VS SAT hooked up. I can add the dvd recorder and all is great except the fact I have to have the dvd recorder on all the time.

I have not been able to figure a way to do this without having the dvd recorder on.

There may not be a answer??? I think the problem is because the Viewsat only has the 1 av out put and only 1 s video out.

Is there such a thing as a s video splitter???

one of you guys must be smart enough to help me out?

First guy that says...search the forums gets it, because I already did

Gold Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 4032
There is such a thing as Video splitter 4 to 1 and 2 to 1 for three Adio/video signals using RCA jacks. I have not seen one for s-video. However, you can get a cheap used amplifier with two s-video outputs to do what you want to do.

Silver Member

Flutopia

Post Number: 152
Thanks Nalin....do you know if it is possible to have VS Plat,tv and dvd recorder hooked together with rca/AV cables, and still be able to watch tv with DVD recorder off???

I mean I want the picture quality with the RCA AV cables,and continually hooked to dvd recorder, but want to be able to watch tv with dvd recorder off....Is this possible? or do you understand my question.

Gold Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 4033
Tiger Woods: Video quality as referred to for TV, is of three levels.

The oldest standard is as delivered by the antenna connected to your TV - it has a composite Audio and TV. You can have the Antenna cable go to your VCR and then another similar cable go from VCR to TV. still the same quality.

Next stage in this evolution was the three cable (audio right and left B/W, and video Yellow) connection from VCR to the back of TV.

Next came the S-video output. This is the highest quality. Most of the DVD players have a s-video output (looks similar to PS2 keyboard plug into computer). If your TV has an s-video input (most later model TVs have this), then you can take a s-video cable from your DVD to TV, and use that connection only when you need to play DVD. You seem to be using the RCA 3 cable AV connection between the receiver and the TV. These two inputs into your TV are separate (i.e. the DVD s-video and the AV input) and independently available.

However, I must clarify that if your receiver is of a high quality, you would have an S-video output. Most people who watch a lto of TV, would tend to use the TV's S-video input connected to the receiver's s-video output.
IN that event, you might keep the DVD connected separately using the AV 3 cable connection and turn on DVD only when you ant to watch the DVDs.
You could buy a multi input (2-4 AVs and 2 s-video) separate box with a s-video and AV output, and switch as needed. I have not used any with a remote switching - I had one with manual switching.
There is an extensive audio/video section in Ecoustics and you could read there or ask questions there.

Silver Member

Flutopia

Post Number: 153
PERFECT THANKS!

Gold Member
Username: Donnie1973

Post Number: 1172
If u are wanting to actually record on ur DVD recorder, u will need to hook it up to an output from ur tv, OR u will have to hook it up in line with ur reciever, like the way u had it. Cant hook it up to a switch unless u are not wanting to record.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us