Zenith 50 Inch Plasma loud pop then Black Screen

Username: Jansl

Post Number: 1
Please Help,
I was watching the plasma tv and heard a loud pop and my screen went black. I still have sound but no picture.
I have only had this plasma tv for 14 months, and of course no warranty.
If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know I will be very appreciative.
Thanks
Jans

Bronze Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 61
Jans,
50" Zenith plasma is very common for having a power failure issue. The problem resides in the Y-Sustain board in most cases. The Toshiba 50HP66 and Vizio P50HDM (as well as LG and HP 50" Plasmas) also have the same issue as they all use the same PDP Panel (plasma panel). The parts are manufactured by LG/Zenith Corporation. If your Zenith is the model i'm thinking of (Z50PX2D), then the board you would need is the following:
http://www.discount-merchant.com/PCB-Y-SUS-MAIN-FOR-HP-HP-PL5060N-TELEVISION-p/2 761-hp-hp-pl5060n.htm

The above site is the ONLY place that I have ever found selling this hard to find part and the price is reasonable. If they are out of stock on that exact link, just search for 6870QYC004C on their site and you might find one that is in stock.

Before making any purchases, please check the part and make sure it is what your TV needs. I am simply making recomendations and trying to point you to the right direction.

Username: Rbindra

Try the website below:
The Module they have is for $169 with 1 year warranty.

http://www.tristatemodule.com/html/modules_in_stock.html

Username: Markhe

Carrollton , Texas

hello, I've been given a zenith z50px2d with a similar scenario as Jans mentioned, however I didn't actually witness it (I was told when they turned it on, there was a pop and the picture went out). I plug the tv in and get no picture or sound, but have removed the back and see that there are LED's lit on some boards, and the fuses are all good. I looked at the YSUS board and didn't see anything blown....what are teh odds of fixing it by replacing that board? I don't have too many $179 bills laying around. :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
Mark,
Unfortunately the main transistor on these burns out.. It can not be sourced from the manufacturer (LG).

I bought one from tristate and it came out to be defective.. seems like someone is repairing them over there by swapping components.. I don't really trust it..

I just bought another one from D-M.com for $159.99..
http://www.discount-merchant.com/PCB-Y-SUS-MAIN-FOR-HP-HP-PL5060N-TELEVISION-p/2 761-hp-hp-pl5060n.htm

It saves you $20! From their previous price. Warranty and all.

Carrollton , Texas

Post Number: 2
oh, wow, thanks......what's the chance that's the problem? I'd hate to buy that board and find out it still doesn't work...

Username: Jennyt

Poulsbo, Wa Us

Post Number: 4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The TV had a loud POP, then went dead no sound or picture. When I was turn on, I heard relay click, 2 fans on back run and green ligth at 3850-0012-0150 board, flashing. At stand-by it a yellow light, and when turned on, it was steady a green ligth(no flash) on front of TV. The F3 on PCB-YSUS board 4A (192Volts) blew up, new one replaced it didn't helped. Checked all (big) power transistors all goods. Ordered new PCB-Y-SUS board, it did'nt fix. $189.00, also from TRISTATE.
Any one out there, do you have any ideas?
Ovadoggvo is your TV fixed?
Thank you so much, Jenny.

Carrollton , Texas

Post Number: 3
please let me know ifyou find the fix Jenny, I've got this free $1500 tv sitting in my garage! :-)all I need to do is fix it

Username: Richman2k7

Brooklyn, Newyork Usa

Post Number: 6
well im a tech on plasma and lcd i fix all type of plasma and to be honest with u that pop is not any of the board i know what it is so dont buy any parts becouse is not the board is one of the ribbon that pop and is making a shortage ok if u like i will show u step by step and i garantee is not the board ok email me richman2k7@hotmail.com and i will prove to u and thank me later

Username: Jrm1263

Hi Alberto. I have a Toshiba 50HP66 and I have the same problem. Loud pop then blank screen. I still have sound. Can you explain the ribbon cable scenario to me and how I can check it?

Username: Fish36991

JRM,
I bought my Toshiba 50HP66 50" Plasma a little under 18 months ago and about four or five months ago it began to act strange. It would put a block of characters on the screen that made no sense until I would unplug it and and restart it. Then it would act normal for awhile and would just need a reset every so often. I was out of the 12 month warranty so I just put up with it.....until yesterday. I was watching the TV when out of nowhere, I heard a really loud POP....and then the screen went dark. I went ahead and bought a new Sony LCD screen and was going to sell this for parts online. I troubleshoot electronics daily so I thought I would purchase a digital copy of the service manual and check it out. After I downloaded it I noticed that this is very common with plasmas (this exact failure) and only on the LG boards. I scanned my handy dandy service manual and found out that Toshiba was using these same boards along with Zenith and some others. The difference is all the other manufacturers honor their product and replace these boards even when the warranty has expired so I called Toshiba and tried my luck. Even though I've found many postings of Toshibas failing and hundreds and hundreds of the exact same board failure...Toshiba claims to have never heard of it. I informed the "Customer Support Supervisor" of Toshiba that I would be willing to post this on a few websites and have other customers contact him to inform him of this issue. He was fine with it so here is his contact information so feel free to let him know your Toshiba plasma went POP as well.
800-631-3811 ask for Dave Thompson and let him know.

Josh,

Thanks for the info. I spoke to Dave Thompson last week and he was adamant that they never heard of the problem and wouldn't cover it under any sort of extended warranty. Did you have any luck getting coverage? Mine was just fixed by replacing the Y-Sus board for the tidy sum of $548 (Board $395, the rest was labor)

JRM,
that's funny. He told me the same thing last night even though he spoke to you last week. Hopefully people will read this and call him to tell them this is happening often. I took pictures of the LG boards in my TV for my own records. The pop came out of my Y-sustain board as well so I'll replace it. Did you happen to get a part number for replacement board? Thanks,

Josh

Josh,

No, I don't have the part number because I had a repair tech do the work. Unfortunately, I had already brought the TV to him because Toshiba initially told me they would "probably" cover it but I had to bring it to an "authorized" repair center. Of course, they then declined to cover the part. I checked my records, I spoke to a supervisor named Patrick. Apparently the reason they never heard of the problem is because they don't speak to one another.

JRM,
Thanks for all of you help.On my Y-Sustain board I've felt the two large heat sinks while powered up and one is much hotter than the other. A plasma tech told me that this was a sure sign of the board being bad.

Just to make sure that my TV is doing the exact thing your was before I just blindly order the board so bare with me. I can turn mine on and still see the text on the screen but it is EXTREMELY dark to the point that you really have to look for it. The LED indicator on the front acts like the TV is working fine but it is very dark. Did your TV do anything strange before the it went "POP"? Thanks again,
Josh

Josh,

My symptoms were NO VIDEO at all. I couldn't even bring up a menu, not even faintly. When you turn on the TV you hear a pop, almost like a snap, you get audio but no video. Also, it's repeatable which was unusual. If I turned it off and on the pop would happen again. Strange. I checked this message board and the Fix Ya message board and most of the problems were traced back to the Y-Sus board if that makes you feel better. I also think you and whoever else is reading this need to call Dave Thompson at Toshiba (800-631-3811) and let them know what's happening and ask why there isn't a recall. Good Luck.

Post Number: 5
Josh,

Just tried for the third time to get Dave Thompson on the phone. No luck again, but I did end up speaking to a supervisor named Nick who finally gave me the procedure for escalating the issue. You have to write a "letter of complaint" and send it to the General Manager of Customer Service as follows:
Toshiba Customer Service
Attention General Manager
PO Box 3900
Peoria, IL 61614

Include a cover letter with your name/phone number/model number/serial number.

I'm going to send mine this week.

JRM,
Thanks for the leg work and I will write up my letter of complaint and send it out this week as well. I really hope that anyone that runs across these posts sends one in as well even if they fixed yours under warranty. Even if they did, it is still a defect that should be addressed. LG, Zenith and Vizio (all using the same boards) seem to have all done a much better job on taking care of their customers than Toshiba. It's the only way to have it addressed by the company.

Josh

Username: Coyotegirl

I bought the 50 inch Zenith Plasma two years ago, last night the dreaded loud pop and the screen went black, but I still managed to have sound. I soon found out how many others had this problem, it was amazing.

Username: Donztl

I also have a toshiba 50hp66 and last night when i was watching TV I heard a loud pop, twice. The screen then went very dark and I only had sound. Does anyone know if I have it fixed is it most likely to happen again? If so i may as well buy another TV! I can't beleive how many other people this has happened too.

Username: Coyotegirl

Well Don,I read problem after problem with the Zenith, even after it was fixed it seemed to pop again after a few months. As it has been pointed out the problem is with the Toshiba and Zenith. Google this model and you will find a host of complaints about the dreaded pop and black screen the list goes on for pages. Some that were fixed lasted for awhile, others lasted only a few months..kind of a crap shoot at this point. I think I am just going to purchase a new plasma at this point, otherwise I would be sitting waiting for the next pop and not being able to enjoy the tv. And it is a shame, this television has such a nice picture, mine was two years old, others were not that lucky. So welcome to the Pop Club.

Don,
I ordered my new Y-Sustain board and it should be in soon. I'll let you know what happens when I install it. I already bought a Sony Bravia LCD which has an even better picture that I'm happy with. When I get the Toshiba 50hp66 running, I will probably sell it on craigslist as repaired and let someone else get a good deal on a tv and hope that it stays up for awhile.

Josh

Don,
Almost forgot, make sure you call Dave Thompson at Toshiba support at 800-631-3811 and then mail in the letter of complaint described above. They don't seem to want to acknowledge that there is an issue so one at a time, I hope we force them to be honest about it.

Josh

Hi all: The common problem here is the Y-Sustain board. It is manufactured by LG (who will not stand behind it) and sold to Toshiba, Zenith and a few others. This boards components seem to overheat and burn out (pop). The board is around $300 - $400 and my total bill for replacement by a "qualified technician" was $550. Everyone must call their manufacturers customer service and COMPLAIN ABOUT THIS COMMON PROBLEM, especially Toshiba as their service is the worst. Good luck.

Username: Donztl

Thanks everyone for the feed back. Josh i'll defiantly call Dave Thompson and let him know about my problem. I guess i'm lucky that mine lasted for 2 years and a month! My good friend had told me that his brother owns a TV repair shop so I guess i'll take it there and see how much it will be to get it repaired. If it's less then 500.00 i'll get it done, anymore and it's a new TV for me! Does anyone know if the newer bigger plasmas (50 inch +) have the same issues?

Username: Captkaos

Thanks everyone on this board for shedding some light on Toshiba's criminal tactics. I bought a 50HP66 in January '07. At the time I bought it, I checked out numerous reviews online and this was, for the money, the best thing since sliced bread. I bought mine at Best Buy, and I declined the extended warranty. Those warranties should be a luxury and an option, not a necessity. (**Side note, at the time, I recommended the set to my parents, who also bought one at Best Buy, but they elected to take the extra coverage..more on that later**). On Monday morning, my set had some loud pops and the screen went very dark. I tried to troubleshoot but there was nothing in the manual about it, so I went online. This Y-Sustain issue can be found all over the internet. Google Zenith TVs and you'll see a lot more (it's the same Y-Sus board in Zenith, LG, & Vizio TVs). After reading for almost two hours about this, I called Toshiba, knowing full well what was wrong with my TV. I asked for Dave Thompson right off the bat, the rep told me "the name sounds familiar". After some discussion of the issue he told me that "all it takes is 2-3 people to do something like this online". What a crock. So he looked in his directory and told me the internet was spewing BS because "Dave Thompson" doesn't exist. So I asked for a supervisor. Hold for about 15 minutes before moron # 1 comes back on and tells me "the supervisor can't do anything until you have the unit checked by an authorized serviceman". I ask if I have to pay for this, and when he said yes, I declined. So on the phone comes "Patrick Williams", supervisor. He says he has absolutely never heard of this issue, and that Dave Thompson is just a supervisor who is actually lower on the food chain than he is. He tells me that he knows what DT does and what he doesn't do and that he doesn't handle claims regarding this issue. He tells me I have to take the TV to the closest facility and have it checked and that they won't help me financially in any way. He says if there were calls about this issue there would be a record of it. (On another forum I found a post from a guy who names Patrick Williams as the guy he spoke to 3 days earlier..yet, Wiiliams claims "no knowledge whatsoever" about this issue. Well I called the authorized center, they wanted me to bring the set in and look at it for a fee of 95.00. I poked and prodded the guy over the phone and got him to tell me that it is a very common issue and the fix would cost 800.00--with a 90 day guarantee (it's doomed to happen again). I called 2 other (neutral/impartial) repair centers, their response was immediate, they knew of the problem right away. I even had a FREE in house service come and look at it that day and this tech knew right away what it was. So it would seem to me that Toshiba isn't satisfied enough with ripping you off the first time, they actually want you to spend the additional loot to have the set checked out when any qualified tech can identify the very COMMON problem instantly. It isn't worth fixing, not for that kind of loot and a 90 day guarantee. A tech can put bubblegum and toothpicks in there and roll the dice that it works for 3 months, then you're out your 800 plus what you paid for the set to begin with when it happens again. Bottom line, the set is toast, and not worth fixing. **Should be interesting to see if Best Buy fixes or replaces my parents' set WHEN (not if) it happens to theirs which should be any week now**. Having no reaction from Toshiba, I called Best Buy. I got 3 year interest free credit for this and still owe them half the $$ for a useless black box. They listened to me, feigned empathy, made a case # and told me they would 'recommend' a discount when I come down to buy a new set. Needless to say, BestBuy will not have me for a customer. I asked them to act as a liaison between myself and Toshiba, seeing as their relationship is a little more established than ours. They sold a crap product (when I bought it, BestBuy was the only major distributor around that sold it, and it mysteriously vanished from their shelves a month later). Most of the (Toshiba 50HP66) complaints I read were people who bought the set at Best Buy. Why am I writing all of this? My wife is a paralegal. We are writing Best Buy and Toshiba, sending copies of the letter to the BBB, Consumer Affairs, the District Attorney and the Attorney General. It'll take time but we've had similar issues in the past that were resolved this way. If anyone, particularly those who bought their set at Best Buy, wants to share their experience in more detail, please reply below. We're eating this TV and buying a new one, but we're optimistic that justice will be done in the end. The more people that jump on board, the more damage that can be done to these crooks and you can get some restitution too.

Thank you,
Charlie in NYC

Update

Sent letters to Attorney General, BBB, DCA, Best Buy & Toshiba. Toshiba calls me today, leaves me a voicemail asking me to call back. I call back, the idiot puts me on hold for 10 minutes and says "we researched your complaint and found that since you are outside of the warranty period, there is nothing we can do. As far as special issues are concerned, there are no special issues that have been reported with that TV". I tell him that we went over this in our prior correspondence, what is the purpose of the call and message? (also tell him that HE has 'special issues'). He asks if there is "anything else" he can help me with. I tell him he didn't help me with anything to begin with, and hang up. One down, 4 to go.

Update number 2

This thread seems dead, oh well, I'll keep posting here, I hope someone sees this and can share any experiences or follow-ups they've had with this issue (with Toshiba especially)

So I just called AGAIN, turns out it was Dave Thompson himself who called my house. He said that there would be no monetary or warranty assistance from Toshiba. I told him there should be a recall, he said that there is no recall on this set. DUH. We're trying to MAKE YOU START ONE!! I asked him if I was the only person who called him with this problem, he said no I wasn't. He said that 'Toshiba's engineers have reviewed and researched the parts in question and found no issue'. Me: 'Then why was the set discontinued?' DT: crickets....silence... Me: 'If most average everyday repair guys who do this for a living readily acknowledge this problem, and your engineeers say there ISN'T a problem, then why not have YOUR ENGINEERS look at OUR ^$#@&* TVs?!! Maybe THEY can fix them??'

Crickets, silence, click.

Oh well....let's see what the govt agencies can do.

Username: Dave12345

Josh, my Toshiba 50HP66 just went POP about an hour ago, after 25 months! Glad to see I'm not the only one! I'll try giving this Dave Thompson a call tomorrow. Also, I'll ask BestBuy to give Toshiba some grief. Fortunately, I did buy a service plan from BestBuy, the only plan I've ever purchased. Unfortunately, I have to wait 8 days for a service apppointment, so I'm going to have to start reading more until then. I hope the service plan comes thru for me ... crossing my fingers. Between the cost of the plan, and the cost of repair though, it looks like it's only saving me 100 to 200 bucks; but it is onsite repair, so glad not to have lug that huge TV to some repair shop across town. Will update on the repairs and BestBuy Service Plan results later ...

Username: Toshiba_hater

Fort Wayne, IN Usa

ok, this thread probably won't die for a while. The Pop of Death was at my house a couple weeks ago. The TV Service guy just left and said I need a new Y sus board as well. Mine was bought at HH Greg's 9/06. Football season is coming and its going to cost me a few hundred dollars! I haven't done the Toshiba Customer Service call yet. I don't look forward to it as I am pretty pissed off that I went with what I thought was a premium brand name and found out they are using all LG guts!
Bill
Bill

So the GeekSquad guy showed up ... good guy seemed to know his stuff ... after about an hour he decided to replace the YSUS, ZSUS, and YDRIVES ... without the ServicePlan total cost including labor would have been about a cool 1K ... subtracting the cost for the plan, I saved over 600 bucks and I still have 2 yrs on the plan ... the only downside is the wait time for service apppointments and parts, I figure I'll be without my TV for 3 weeks minimum ... oh well maybe I'll buy a smaller TV for the guest room ...

Username: Speedrx100

My Zenith 50" Plasma gave a loud pop (4 days back)and the screen went blank. I unplugged the TV and re-plugged it to the power source. Able to get clear sound and picture ( but the picture is not in primary color, its kinda "bleached" ). LG has really good customer suport, my TV has bypassed the warrenty , but the customer rep promised me to send a Tech to my house. Tech was in today , got the boards. but he checked and found all the boards working in the TV.Tech now says that it will cost more than $ 2k to repair it.

So the GeekSquad guy showed up with parts and fixed my TV. Without the BestBuy PSP, the parts and labor would have cost me over $1500; so subtracting out the cost for the PSP, I saved over 1100 bucks. I'm very happy with the GeekSquad service, and the BestBuy PSP. However, I can't say I'll be buying Toshiba in the future. It seemed apparent that Toshiba could have installed an internal cooling fan for 20 bucks and saved everbody a lot of cost and hassle. I've purchased a small fan to run behind by TV, so that it doesn't overheat again. The only downside to the whole affair has been the wait time for appointments and parts delivery; I was without my TV for about 4 weeks. I'll probably get a second TV for the guest room.

Username: Shifler

Cascade, MD USA

same problem here, scred to find out how much labor is going to cost us or if it would be better to just buy a new TV????
How come they will not just do a recall on these tv? what about a class action law suit?? How do you find out if one has already been started?

Username: Toshiba_hater

Fort Wayne, IN Usa

Thanks to Charlie T from New York (even though a Giant's fan)! He help me get Toshiba to pay for a new Y,Z, and Controller board for my 21 month old 50HP66. I had to pay the labor, but I believe the replacement Toshiba boards will fix the design problem with getting the heat out of driver devices (IPM's). Only time will tell.

Cascade, MD USA

Bill How much was the labor, those seem to be what I have read that needs to be fixed on my TV also. thanks

Carrollton , Texas

I took my 50" zenith plasma comptletely apart. I want to sell all the boards...I have pictures and can provide more if you want. I have all teh parts except the plastic casing....let me know what you want, I'll sell it cheaper than you can find it anywhere.... email me mark.he@verizon.net

Tech came in yest and replaced the plasma screen ( free of cost & outside warranty period ). thumbs up to LG. Yes it took close to 2 months to get it fixed, but a job well done.

Cascade, MD USA

speedrx100 How did you get the to pay for everything?? I ask them to and they told me no only parts

Shifler: All we did was to call them and request them, The trick here is u need to speak to the "right" rep!

It will take some time, but be persistent and you can get it done. Please be advised, do not point to the forum and "blame" the product or threaten class suite.

by the way, did you get to fax them your receipt and cover letter?

Cascade, MD USA

I have to call them back anyway because I was to get something in the mail from them 2 weeks ago and have yet to get it and the person they told me to call to fix the TV will not return my calls at all!! we have been with out the TV working for 5 weeks now and everytime I call LG i get the run around.

Shifler: All we did was call them, LG customer rep wanted us to fax a letter of the issue and copy of the receipt.we did and within a week they scheduled the Tech visit.

Cascade, MD USA

I did call them and fax a copy of the receipt like they ask a week later they still had not faxed there part to the "mike fix it shop" we are to take it to per LG. I have called him 4 times in the last 10 days and he will not call me back at all. I have called LG and they keep telling to call this guy, to top it off LG was to send snail mail a copy of the order to fix the tv but have yet to get that.

They never ask for a cover letter.

According to me , this is how it works.

U fax cover letter + receipt.They communicate with local LG service and schedule a visit.after that point, you communicate only to the Technician ( cell and email).

We did not have any complaint number or "fix it" letters.

be advised, you can communicate to the cust rep and request a diff technician.

Cascade, MD USA

Post Number: 7
I called cust rep and told them I never got the claim paper from them and that the person they told me to use to get the TV fixed would not return my calls. They lady I spoke gave me someone else and faxed the authoriation to me and a new repair shop. I will call them tomorrow and make sure they have it to and then find out how much labor is going to cost so I can cry!

Cascade, MD USA

Post Number: 8
Updated #2 I called the new repair show to see if they got the fax and the lady told me they only fix the TV if bought from them so another dead end. Call LG back and ask them what I should do now and I am told to take to the 1st shop they gave me explained that once again this guy does not return calls so he gives me another # and this place is over 1 and 1/2 away. He told me to call them and ask them if they would fix it and if they will I am to call LG back and they will fax him the repair order. To top it off when I pulled them up online they have a terrible review.

I am at my witts end with this TV and trust I will not buy another LG TV that is for sure!!! I am in the process of checking out what I can do about, class action law suit or what.

Username: Bepolito

Tamarac, Fl Usa

I purchase the board for the sustain , reemplace my self and work perfect. thank you obago.

Username: Carlisle

Hi I'm not sure if this is the right thread but here goes: I have an Akai PDP5073TM which has a LG panel. I was watching TV and heard a pop sound and the display went dark. I figured it might be a power surge so I unplugged the TV, waited a while, and powered up again. Every time I power it up the screen goes a faint gray color for 1 second, it makes a pop and shuts down. Immediately the TV powers up again by itself, pops again, and shuts down. Then it doesn't do anything.

If I try to start it again it just repeats the above and stops. There is NO audio or startup blue screen at any time during this process. My TV repair guy says it is the power board, but he gave the consultation over the phone. Do I have the same problem as the previous posters with the Y sustain board? I wasn't sure since some posters seem to say they get audio. I don't get anything except 1 second of a faint gray splash on the screen.

Username: Chrisn

Charlie and Josh - Not sure if you have been able to get any resolution related to your television, but wanted to share my experience with you as well. We had your television for only 39 days when our PDP panel blew up. It was under warranty, so it was fixed, but about a year later we had three different circuit boards go. We paid to have the television this second time but we just had our third issue with the tv. It has now been broken three times in just over two years.

Below is the letter of complaint I sent to Toshiba in December 2008. I got a follow up call from David Thompson that said Toshiba could not do anything for us.

I'm writing this letter to explain my experience with Toshiba products and services over the past two and half years. I feel like I can convey my thoughts better in writing as it is difficult to try to explain the amount of frustration we have sustained through disparate customer support phone calls. We have had three serious product issues with our television within a two and half year time period, with the first happening in the first two months of purchase.

Consumers buy large screen televisions because they enjoy watching television shows and movies. Often times the sales of these types of electronics coincide with major television events, premieres etc. So please put yourself in our shoes. It's a Thursday night, you've just put the three kids to bed and your favorite show that has been on hiatus for 6 months is about to start. You are sitting in front of your fifty-inch Toshiba plasma television...maybe you even popped up some popcorn. Five minutes into the program the television goes black, and it isn't the final episode of the Sopranos. You resort to watching the remaining portion of the program on a thirteen inch television that has not given you one problem in fifteen years. On top of that you are a native from Massachusetts and your Patriots play in Super Bowl XLII in three days. You need to find somewhere else to watch the game, but you live in New York and it will most likely be with Giants fans. Please insert your own expletives here. You blame the television and not being able to watch the game at home for the Patriots blown undefeated season.
Now here is the real kicker. This is the second time the television has blown in less than a year and half.
The first breakage occurred in October 2006, when the main plasma board blew up. It sounded as though someone had lit an M80 in the house. The part to fix the television was almost as much of the television indicating that the main guts of the television had failed. At that point in time we had requested a replacement set, however we were denied by Toshiba. We were told that the television would be repaired to a condition better than new, as it would be tested with a fine toothcomb. From my perspective I felt like I just bought a refurbished television at the full price of a new television. If we wanted to take the chance with buying a refurbished product I could have saved substantial dollars on the purchase price on any number of internet websites. We should have been granted a new television, refunded money or been offered an additional warranty free of charge at that point in time. It was under warranty and fixed at no charge, but we went about a month without a TV and had to deal with removing the television from its wall mount and disconnecting all of our other components.
The second breakage occurred on January 31st, 2007 just about a year after we received the television back from the first repair. This time three circuit boards malfunctioned. In total at this point, we had had a working TV for just a little bit over a year not counting the time lost due to the first repair. We again argued our case that we had a lemon of a TV and that we wanted a replacement TV. Now we were being told that the TV was not under warranty and not their problem. At this point I really did not want to repair this television as I did not have a good feeling about its reliability. After more haggling, Toshiba agreed to pay 50% of the part cost which saved us a little money, but still costed us $500. On March 17th we notified United Radio to move forward with the repair. Toshiba had communicated to us that the parts were being expedited with an expected delivery date of March 24th. On March 26th we were informed by Toshiba that one of the required parts would not be available until June 2008 (approximately 5 months later). At one point we were even told that we may want to try to find someone who can repair broken circuit boards. So we were not even getting new replacement parts to fix the problem. We received the television earlier than June, but again we went through an extended amount of time without the television and had to remove the TV from the wall mount and disconnect all of the components.

On Halloween night, October 31st, 2008, the television was down for the count for the third time. The screen went black and the power LED light switched from green to red. It was the same issue we had seen before. My father-in-law chuckled in pity at our pathetic television. It has been just over two years since we purchased it, and less than two years of actually working television time. The television came down from the wall mount and all the components were disconnected. To save money, we personally delivered the television to United Radio for diagnosis. It turns out that the fourth circuit panel had malfunctioned and would cost us another $500 dollars for repair. It would have been nice to know that there were a total of four boards when they repaired the three boards during the second repair. At this point I refuse to put another penny into fixing this faulty product. I have not decided what I am going to do with the television yet, but I'm thinking about a you-tube video, a plasma TV and a sledgehammer.

So that is our story up until now. As you can guess I am very frustrated and have not nice things to say about the Toshiba brand. From my perspective the Toshiba plasma television that we bought can either be considered a "lemon", and represents a small percentage of the overall product that has issues, or the product design or product parts were faulty. One would think that if we did purchase a "lemon" then Toshiba would take steps to remedy the situation. Since that has not occurred, that leaves only one other option. The plasma television product is shoddy and Toshiba stopped producing it. And not only does that lead us to believe that the plasma television is shoddy, but also the entire Toshiba brand. My five year old and three year old daughters have branded the television "hunk of junk".

In our frustrating ordeal we went searching for the Toshiba code of conduct and company vision statement. All I can say is that if your products and services met those goals we would not be in the situation we find ourselves in. There is no point in having a vision and mission statement that only talks about quality products and upholding customer satisfaction when there is nothing to back it up. I would like to be able to say to people that, yes, we did have issues with our TV, but Toshiba really went above and beyond to make things right. It's funny, but when I tell people about our experience I feel a sense of guilt that in someway I am partially responsible, because we didn't do our research and chose the wrong brand of television.

Thank you for your time.

Username: Jayshriver

Can anyone post pictures of the "popped" component on the "ysus" board? I have a 50hp66 Toshiba and I'm gonna try to fix this sucker, but I'm just curious if there's any way to replace the defective component on the board right off the bat or to add a fan/larger heatsink to keep this jalopee runnin loger! Thanks! This is a great forum and this info is invaluable. I hope if anyone gets wind of a recall they post!

Username: Sandlparker

I spoke with Dave Thompson today, and guess what, he says that he has only spoke with one person complaining about the 50HP66 as of today. Honesty is also not a strongpoint at Toshiba Corporation.

Our 50HP66 "popped" this week, and after talking to Toshiba, we actually thought that they might help. We were WRONG. I am now going to respond through desporate channels to at least get Toshiba to pay for the new "y sustain" card and other faulty parts....I will keep this forum up to speed with the progress

Silver Member

Post Number: 215
Guys,
Your problems can be solved here:

http://www.discount-merchant.com/Y-SUSTAIN-PN-6870QYC004A-6870QYC004B-6870QYC004 C-p/vizio-sku9501.htm

The above link is for the Y-Sustain board compatible with the following:

MAKE: ZENITH, SONY, HITACHI, HP, LG, MAXENT, VIZIO, TOSHIBA
DESCRIPTION: PCB-Y SUS MAIN
P/N: 6870QYC004A 6870QYC004B 6870QYC004C 6871QYH039A 6871QYH039B 6871QYH039C,
6870QYC104A, 6870QYC104B, 6870QYC104C, 6870QYC104D, EBR30597501

COMPATIBLE TVs:
HP CPT0H-0603
HP PL5060N
LG 50X3
LG 50PX1D
LG 50PX1D-UC
LG 50PC3D-OE
LG PDP050714
MAXENT PDP050714
MAXENT P500550HM8
MAXENT P500150X3
SONY FWD-50PX2
SONY FWD-50XP2
TOSHIBA 50HP66
VIZIO P50HDM
VIZIO P50HDTV10A
ZENITH Z50PX2D

... The Y-SUS is the problem in 60% of the cases. The X-SUS (AKA Z_SUS) is the problem in 30% of the cases and can be found here:
http://www.discount-merchant.com/We-provide-factory-original-parts-worldwide-p/v izio-sku9502.htm

THe other 10% is caused by a short in the lower buffer boards that may cause a chain reaction and blow the Y-SUS.

The loud "pop" that everyone is hearing is due to a failure of a "transistor" module on the Y-SUS. Again, this is not a standard transistor that can be replaced easily as it is a "MODULE" which is exclusively used on high voltage boards used in plasma TV's. In many cases it damages other components on the board. I have tried sourching the module with no luck. For $150-$175 i wouldn't mess with it.

When there is no "pop" noise, the X-SUS may be at fault... But again, you need to test for proper voltage using a multimeter to see which board is at fault. The above is just a rule of thumb. If you mis-diagnose the TV and place a new Y-SUS or X-SUS while there is a short in the Buffer boards, you will immediately "blow" the X and/or Y sustain boards.

Prices on these boards seem to be very reasonable from the above website and I know them to be a reliable source for quality products. Our service center uses them for all of our DLP and Projector lamps... as well as Plasma/LCD boards and DLP Light engines.

Username: Rogue_element

I just had my Toshiba 50HP66 go down this morning. Same issue as John Carlisle above: the set powers up on its own and shows a grey screen for about 3 seconds. The screen then discharges and goes black, accompanied by a crackly "boing" sound from the back of the set (think old Atari games + TV discharge crackle). The cycle then repeats on its own. Is this the Y-sustain board, or one of the other boards?

Username: Rta01

Wow. I looked this site up a year ago when ours did the same thing. I wish I had known this board was still active. We have the same problem, but it happened just out of warranty, and just as CompUSA was closing, so we couldn't go back and get a copy of our receipt. We had the pop, then the washed out colors, then nothing but sound. Ova, how does one test to see what board it is? What are the proper voltages? It's my parents TV, and now it's just hanging there sadly on their living room wall because my dad refuses to take it down. We don't have a lot money right now, but I think I could probably swing $200 if it meant fixing their TV.

Username: Gnomee2

I have a Zenith 50" z50px2d

I just ordered a new ysus board and it still does not come up properly. It seems I may have jumped the gone. here is a pic of what it looks like. http://www.autotrix.net/ebay_images/z50px2d.jpg

Sorry the picture is not that great. I have brightness set at 100% and if you look towards the right you will see the menu is missing parts. Everything that comes up on the screen fades in pixilated and real faint.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

After closer inspection of the X-SUS I found a capacitor leaking acid but after removing it I find nothing that looks blown... Where can I find info on voltages to test?

Well I gave up on fixing it and decided to call Zenith/Now fully LG

I purchased my TV 12/3/2005. Its Y sustain died 09/07 and I paid a repair shop $936.21 to fix it. Now its dead again.
LG had me fax in my original receipt and they have said they will pay for all the parts. I plan on calling back after I know what the labor is and trying to get them to cover it, I've already paid for parts once which by them offering to cover now is an admittance that they should have paid for it the first time.

The least they can do now is pickup the whole repair..

Hopefully this thread will help others.

Cascade, MD USA

Post Number: 9
Good luck, I never tired to get them to pay for labor and everytime they told me thye would only pay for parts and the place we were to take it told us it would cost any where from $500-800 for labor to we ditched the TV and bought a brand new one for $1000

Username: 00agentyellow

Downey, CA USA

I have a Sony FWD-50PX2 and it had the same problem, a loud pop then no picture/sound. I was lucky that it was still under warranty. I had the set for about 18 months before it went out. I only had to wait a couple weeks to have it fixed. Unfortunatly, it only worked for another 18 months and the warranty is long gone. This time, the problem is with something else. The set works for about 10 minutes then turns off. I can press the power and watch the TV for a couple more minute before it turns back off. I took it apart and noticed that the fans do not turn on. I am going to guess that the problem is that the system is over-heating and the set is going into protect mode. I've been searching for some help with this current issue but still no luck.
I did not purchase the TV from Best Buy. It wasn't from the lack of trying. I went to a few Best Buys and I was completely ignored. I couldn't get anyone to help me with my purchase.
Maybe I'll just go back to an old tube set.

Username: Orbmik

St. Albans, WV

I have a Zenith 50 inch plasma. Purchased 11/05 last night I had the loud pop and no picture. Started reading on the net and discovered this is VERY common. Called Zenith and was told it was out of warranty. When i explained what I had learned, I was told to call back Monday and talk to a supervisor. It looks to me if this is that common there needs to be a recall. If there ever is one I want to know about it. After reading this message board I now know what companies to NOT purchase from.

Back again to add to the thread.... I wrote a letter to the Attorney General of each state that Toshiba works out of, and all received a form letter from Barbara A. Hayes, manager-legal administration of Toshiba. Quote "It is TACP's position that since Mr. Parker did not contact TACP's Customer Support until January, 2009, he is past the warranty period, and thus we are unable to make an exception and give him assistance."
I still do not think that Toshiba, Zenith, and LG are willing to admit that this item, Y-sus, is or should be a recall, and not a part of their warranty program. Shame on all of these corporations for screwing their consumers.

Username: Fire_man11_ca

42" LG plasma tv and just like the others pop, no picture but I do have sound, wipdee do da . I have contacted Lg,s tech and customer rep's, no help, I explained what I have read and that I believe that there should be a recall, no recall as of yet. I explained at my serious disapointment in Lg for not wanting to stand behind it's product outside of the warrenty and the not another LG, Zenth toshiba or any Lg related product will be setting foot in our house again... If anyone has a techique for trouble shooting the problem before spending money would be greatly appreciated.

Username: Robertajean29

Tustin, CA

We bought a zenith 50" in 12/2005. We heard the "pop" a few weeks ago (7/2009) and the screen went black, but sound was still there. We ordered the y-sustain board from dm.com. My husband just installed it. The picture is back and it looks great! Hope it lasts.... Thanks for this message board!

Tustin, CA

Also, cost was $215 total for board including shipping, and we will get a $25 credit for sending back our old board. Just FYI..

Username: Vasalazar

We purchased Zenith Z50PX2D on 1/15/06. Happy with the picture until July 2007 when with a pop the picture was gone. Called...wrote... faxed LG (they are now in charge of that product) finally agreed to cover repairs (first claimed only on year warranty I insisted on a LG website that showed 2 yrs, it was removed but I had the screen shot to prove it) It got fixed and we were happy until July 2009. Again the pop and no picture.. paid $680 fixed? 3 wks later thin multi color lines.. repair guy isnt calling back???

Username: Quarry

Waukesha, WI

I don't have any snap, crackle or pop, but only half a screen.
http://community.webshots.com/album/573747225LpUvMK

Can anyone tell me how to remove the lower Y driver board (HT50067H005593)? I think that may be my only problem, but I can't get it loose despite having removed all of the screws. I have zero electronics experience, but I'm kinda bright and highly motivated to fix this puppy.

Is this the proper replacement part for the lower Y driver board (buffer)?
http://www.discount-merchant.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1011883%2DTOSHIBA

Thank you, anyone, for the mercy of advice.

Silver Member

Post Number: 302
You can check the voltage through the X and Y sustain boards to see which is damaged.

Voltage travels the following direction on these TVs:

Power Supply:
http://www.discount-merchant.com/We-provide-factory-original-parts-worldwide-p/1 075235-zenith.htm

Then through Y-SUSTAIN:
http://www.discount-merchant.com/Y-SUSTAIN-PN-6870QYC004A-6870QYC004B-6870QYC004 C-p/vizio-sku9501.htm

By the way.. This is the MOST POPULAR failing part on these TV's... Above link has it for $154.99 and the quality and shipping time is outstanding. Be careful buying from a used dealer or someone not as big as Discount-Merchant is on parts. You may get a part that lasts 1/2 the time. These boards are like DLP TV lamps, they have a limited lifetime and if you buy from the wrong place, you will have to replace it more often and it can damage other components when it pops!

Next Power travels through X-SUSTAIN:
http://www.discount-merchant.com/Vizio-SKU9502-p/vizio-sku9502-psp.htm

Again.. only $154.99 and this is the 2nd most common failing part on these TV's..

To test which board is bad you need a multimeter... then test for the following:

1. disconnect the power board from the y-sustain board.. Check input into power board (is voltage coming in from the wall?) Next, test for voltage going out of the power supply.

2. Next test voltage going to the Y-SUSTAIN BOARD by having everything connected except the link between YSUS and XSUS. Check for voltage going into YSUS (if power supply is putting out, then ysus shoudl be receiving).. Next, test for high voltage comming out of the YSUS... keep in mind, xsus is disconnected.

If you get power comming out of the YSUS, this means your YSUS is GOOD and your XSUS is BAD....

If you get no power comming out of the YSUS this means that the YSUS is BAD.. in this case you need to replace your YSUS, however, you XSUS can also fail when your YSUS blows out.

In order to test your XSUS, you can use a multimeter to test breaking in the transistor module that has the big Black or Silver heatsink on it. You can test it by using a multimeter and applying it to the bottom pins of the board.

Again, Discount-Merchant.com seems to have many of these boards in stock and they are my lifesaver! The price is VERY LOW compared to anyone else, and the quality is outstanding. 1 year buying these boards from them without a single returned customer.

I bought one off of some jimmy guy on ebay and it blew in 1 month. I though i was saving myself money but the customer was back and very upset. Be careful!

Tustin, CA

We replaced the board and the picture is good, but now the volume and the remote control aren't working properly. Has anyone ever experienced this? and if so, what can be done about it?

Waukesha, WI

Thanks for your lengthy and insightful post, ovadoggvo. I still wonder whether a SUS board is at fault.

I cleaned the TV's innards with a brush designed for photo negatives and an hovering vacuum. Since that time (9 days), we're fully functional.

Will post again if something new develops. Still would like to know if the just bottom Y board can be removed and replaced.

Username: Doon1

Hiya guys.
My wife is an Insurance Adjuster and she brought home one of these 50" zeniths the other day. The insured said lightning was the cause of their TV failure. A little searching brought me here.
When I first turned on the TV I entered the menu. It was very slow to come up. Like a reverse "fade to black". Hooked up my laptop to it and found the picture washed out and had the "fade to black" issue. I played around with it a little while and then turned it off. Yesterday i brought my meter and scope home from work . When i turned on the TV I heard the loud pop and the screen was black. I did faintly see the "no input" box fading in and out. Am I correct in thinking that the POP was a symtom of another faiure or will the screen show signs of the problem before the pop if the issue is in the Y-board. I'd like to fix it and add an additional cooling fan or some FETS to the failing cap. I did read the post regarding the buffer board problem and will be running voltage tests when I get home tonight (thanks for that Ovadoggvo ) . Is there anything else i should keep an eye out for?
thnaks Guys. I'll post me results this weekend.
BFN
John

Waukesha, WI

F.Y.I.
"Live chat" with Discount-Merchant.com proves useless:

ME: We've diagnosed our intermittently half-blank Toshiba 50HP66 TV (bottom half occasionally goes black) as a failing bottom Y buffer board (HT50067H005593). Which of the the following products [from your website] would be the correct replacement part?
• 6871QRH080A PCB - BUFFER LOGIC RIGHT - BOTTOM FOR TOSHIBA 50HP66 TV - 6870QSC008A
• 6871QLH070A PCB - BUFFER LOGIC LEFT - BOTTOM FOR TOSHIBA 50HP66 TV - 6870QMC007A
• 6871QXH035A PCB - BUFFER LOGIC RIGHT - BOTTOM FOR TOSHIBA 50HP66 TV - 6870QWC007A
• EAX37107601 PCB - BUFFER SCAN BOTTOM FOR TOSHIBA 50HP66 TV - EBR38447602
• 6870QDC005A PCB - BUFFER SCAN BOTTOM FOR TOSHIBA 50HP66 TV

THEM: Hi Joy, either one of those parts will work ok, this is because they are the same parts. The only thing is that we list them in serials instead of quantity.

ME: So all five of the products I listed are the same thing?
A "scan" and "logic" board are the very same thing?
If so, what's with the "Logic Left" and "Logic Right"?
There is no "scan left" or "scan right."

[Time passes]

ME: Hello? Are you still there?

THEM: Sorry sir, just a second.

[I don't bother pointing out I'm not a sir.]

THEM: I see, sorry sir. I didn't pay attention to the right and left.
The thing is that we wouldn't be able to determine which board is the right one.
You'll need to consult a tech ...

And then he refers me to NESDA, which is basically a directory for TV repair service.

It's been 15 days since I vacuumed inside the TV. For the first couple minutes the bottom of the screen is unreliable, but once the unit warms up, it has worked unfailingly for hours.

Username: Dugmahn

My Zenith Z50PX2D unit is apart after suffering the same "pop" then drop the picture problem. We do have sound though! After beginning to diagnose per ovadoggvo email of 2/2/09, the power supply unit kicks out 209 volts at pin Vs, where it is supposed to be 194 volts as per the sticker on the back. So maybe that is why the unit "popped"? Too much voltage. My question is , do I adjust the voltage settings to 194 and then try the TV again, or would the Y sustain automatically die? It was only turned on one time when the pop occured. Thanks for any help offered.

Username: Ruff113

does the LG 50px5d use the same boards mentioned above? POurs "popped" the other day.

Username: I12flyskyhigh

Bakersfield, Ca USA

I am new to this board of course.
I have a Zenith Z50PX2D. I have read thorught the post and tried to troubleshoot this thing. My wife and kids heard a loud pop and the screen went black with a red shadow and some image viewable in red. After reading the posts I checked the YSUS and had power at the upper white connector that goes to the xsus of 190 and 60v at all the pins as well as all the fuses were good. Bassed on this and your comments it would appear my problem would be the z sus or 10% chance the lower boards. I have the Zsus ou t now. I thought sure I'd see evidence of this pop. The board looks perfect. I have visually looked for evidence of this pop all over with no luck. I can't see how it would be the common ysus but maybe I am missing something.

Is there anything I can test on the zsus to see ( I have a voltmeter-well many of them). I am not real familiar with boards or how to take measurements on them but I am sure the y fuses were good and we had output voltage on every pin with a V.

Are the transistor modules those copper spiral wires with the heat shrink 3 on the zsus. They have continuity. Witht he volume of the pop one would think you could see a swolen capacitor or if this is the copper coils are at fault them blown apart.

Thanks for any help you can provide....

Tustin, CA

We replaced our y-sustain board in july 2009 and the picture was great but we could never get the remote control to work properly after that. Just recently, it got to the point where we cannot get the channels to stop changing and we cannot control the tv, even from the buttons on the set. We have decided to purchase another tv. :-(

Username: Fauked

Well my toshiba just did the pop and I brought to a repair shop they quoted $800.00 to repair it z sustain board gone. so I picked it up paid $74. dollars to the tech they offered to keep it and I would owe nothing yea right. I think Toshiba needs the class action law suit just to give them a wake up call. Never buy there crap again

Username: I12flyskyhigh

Bakersfield, Ca USA

I smashed mine into pieces and recycled it. It would cost $400 to replace the boards and pray it worked only to have what go wrong next? A new LCD is about $700. I bought a projector and it works great even in light. I should have done this to begin with. It is an Optoma EP 1691. 120 inch screen equals at least 4 50 incl plasmas in area. It's like being at the movie theater. The wife was skeptical but now wouldnt go back to a regualr TV.

Username: Punchrider

Back in 2005, I purchased a Zenith Z50PX2D from Circuit City. At that time all of the reviews were great. Great picture, Great price! My friend asked me if I liked it after I had it for a couple of months and I said "yeah sure". 24 months later he heard a pop and no picture just sound. He had an extended warranty and after a long fight with LG, he finally got them to have it fixed through a local TV repair shop. He said the tech told him at the time that he had to replace the Y-sustain. Once he told me about his problem, I began to check the internet and sure enough, the "POP OF DEATH" was well documented all over the place. One day I knew it would happen to me. That day came a few weeks ago.
After finding the post by "OVADOGGVO" I replaced my Y sustain and the zenith once again looks great! The question now is how long will it last?? Time will tell....I suppose I should consider my myself fortunate to have had a 50" zenith last so long and to have found this website to find the fix!
Thanks Ovadoggvo for all your help!

Username: Cee9

If you would like to attempt the repair, Service and Troubleshooting Manuals available at

http://www.scribd.com/LG-50PC1DRTroubleshootingManual-2007-VG-Training/d/1607700 7

http://www.scribd.com/doc/23744267/LG-50PC1DR-Ua-Service-Manual

Username: Raduxxl

i replace ysus board. before i had blank screen.now i get something, but still i need something else. i attach a picture with the actual problem with my zenith z50px2d Upload

Probably a loose connection. Re- check all of your board connections and plug ins.
Refer to the screen picture on page 59 of the LG trouble shooting manual mentioned above.
Good Luck!

ok, i took the board out, and put it back, make sure about all the connections.
i got an improvement
this is what i get at this point
Upload
Upload

why i get this red screen??? and the picture above is not clear also
any ideeas???
first i replace ysus board, after that some connections wasn't good, so i re check everything, and at the end i still get this red screen
what can be???

Username: Optimus_rob

First off, this is an amazingly informative discussion and I appreciate all of the interaction going on here. Second, I have two questions regarding my Zenith Plasma Z50PX2D:

1) I have an image but it's washed out and slightly red. Plus when I turn it on after it has been cool for awhile the screen will be black but the black will slowly recede to reveal the washed out image. Any ideas which board(s) could be the problem?

2) I've been looking all over my television and not seeing the voltage sticker on it listing the Vs, Va, etc. Does anyone have an image of this from their Z50PX2D that might be willing to share?

Thanks in advance!

-Rob

Username: Dulley0065

Thank you !! (Ovadoggvo) I must say im a very happy camper.. I have this Z50PX2D Plazma TV and as eveyone else has posted here it to made a loud pop and the screen went black but i still had sound..I read all the blogs and got ahold of Discount-Merchants and orderd the Ysustain board and shiped it to my house in 4 days for a little less than 200 hundred dollars... I installed it myself in less than an hour and Im very proud to say im watching it again and thepicture is as good as it was new.. Thanks again everyone..

Username: Dano63

I to have the Z50PX2D and have had the infamous POP of death. Ordered a y sus board on tue and it's going to be here today. Ordered from DM merchants cost $154 +$25 core $29 for overnight Fed-Ex. It will be here today. Hope it solves the problem i'll give an update when i get it installed. NOTE: DM merchants is a very good company to deal with very helpful if you have to buy a board i trully suggest this company. Don't risk e-bay or some other place.

My Z50PX2D bit the dust!! Again!! I put the Ysus board in and it has been working great until now. I was watching a sporting event and it just went off. When I tried to turn it back on the green startup light flashes green about three times and goes to solid red. No picture at all. I calmly got up from my couch, disconnected everything and put it back in the original factory box that I still had in my attic from 4 years ago. I took it down to my garage, left it there, got in my car and drove to HH Gregg. I picked up a 52" Samsung 120HZ LCD. I came back to my house, plugged everything back in, got a beer and calmly sat back down on my couch. One of these days...maybe I will be sitting at a bar and by chance, meet a TV repairman at which point I'll buy him a beer and ask if he minds taking a look at a piece of **** plasma TV I've got in my garage!
PS I love the Samsung!!!!

Waukesha, WI

Alan, I admire you your sense of serenity.
After seven months of putzing and having our plasma work intermittently, I surrendered it to the repair guys on Monday, along with a $500 deposit toward repairs. I just have to stop thinking about it and let fate have its way.

Username: A_scotsman

Scotland

I've been trying to gather information for over a year to support my case under the sale of goods act as I believe my LG 50PX4d Plasma TV was not fit for purpose as both SUS boards need replacing at a cost of £671 after less than 3 years since purchase for a tv I paid £1700 for. I'm at the stage of having to write disagreeing for a 2nd time to the financial ombudsman's conclusions regarding my case. Her beliefs are beyond anything reasonable and to be honest not helping in any way. Although I've given her postings from consumer forums backing up this is a common fault she wants an experts opinion/report other than the engineers report I already have who obviously won't say anything to ruin there business especially being an agent for LG.
I'm writing here to see if anyone can help in any way or have a contact who would.
Thanks

A_scotsman,

These plasmas continue to fail again and again (even after boards have been replaced) because, in my opinion and well as others, the boards overheat from inadequate cooling, a design flaw. The problem is exacerbated by the the voltage regulators (part # KIA78R09F) used to control the fans which only supply 9V, only 75% of the rated 12V; this causes the fans to rotate at a lower speed resulting in higher internal temperatures in the TV case--I assume LG/Zenith lowered the voltage to reduce fan noise. See "Best Solution" posted by Viso Guy: http://www.fixya.com/support/t445609-p50hdm_pop_death_again.

Username: A_scotsman

Scotland

Thanks Cee9
Is there any way I can check the voltage regulator and argue the case that 9V is insufficient. My brother is an electrician and I can consult him but at the moment he's working out of the country. Are there any engineers reading this who can post further feedback, if so it would be great.

If anyone is interested in adding fans, I used

two - Scythe SY-1225SL12L Fan (mounting screws and connectors included)
http://www.svc.com/sy-1225sl12l.html

two - 120mm Grille
http://www.svc.com/fg002bk-22.html

The fans were positioned over the heatsinks with power for the new fans spliced into the existing fan wiring; only the power red and black wires were used, yellow rotation sense wire was not connected. The opening for the fans were cut with a jigsaw and hammered flat. According to the schematics, there are two regulators (KIA78R09F, each rated at 1 amp) in parallel to control the fans; the two additonal fan power requirements are well within the rating.

Upload
Upload

The newly added fans are extremely quiet--considering, they are only running at 9V.

Also, an easy way to determine if the Z Sustain board (aka X Sustain) is at fault is to let the TV warm up for several minutes and feel the two large heatsinks on the board, they should both be warm to hot; if either is cold to the touch, then the board is at fault.

Even thought its small, is the added amperage draw going to be an issue by adding extra fans?

Bob,

The two fan regulators in parallel can handle 2A total, the two stock fans are rated 12V/0.2A each, the Scythes are 12V/0.1A each: total fan draw is 0.2A + 0.2A + 0.1A + 0.1A = 0.6A, well below 2A capacity. At 9V the current is even lower.

I see. Thanks for the info on that. I might venture into putting some fans in myself.

It has been almost exactly 1 year since I had my tv fixed last year so I took it off the wall and cleaned it out. I do agree the heat is the issue. I was thinking some ducting to force the fans to pull air over the heat sinks would be beneficial. Adding fans would do more good though.

I forgot to mention the fans do not turn on immediately but after a few minutes of power up.

i am looking for a tv repair in queens ny for this zenith tv
any recommandations

Username: Kjcdal

hi i ha ve a 42 inch lg plasma the y sus board is cold and the x sus is warm does this men the cold one is broken tv screem comes on black then as it warms up starts going fuzzy on one side and slightly red anyone know what it could be.

Username: Fila

Please help
Type Plasma TV Samsung 42-inch no picture only sound
Model. PS-42Q96HD

Username: Legoinfre

hi, I have a zenith 50PX4d3000, I checked the voltage on the power board and i get 220v for VS (instead of 196v) I tried to adjust using the VS adjust with no result, turning left or right the potentiometer do nothing, furthermore if I plug back the Y board and turn on the monitor I hear the relay click on and then a small discharge/pop happen on the tuner board and then the tv switch itself off if the board is not plugged then the tv keeps on power and the fan comes up, so my questions are, should i change the power board and make sure i get 196v, is anyone has a reading of 200 volt on their board?

Username: Yoda420

I Have a Zenith 50" plasma, heard a pop and screen went black. after unplugging it for while I pulled the back off and took a look, I saw on the control board a bank of 4 LEDs. When I powered it back up I saw 2 of the LEDs lit and the screen was back on but very dim, then I heard another pop and I saw an arc off one of the caps on the YSUS and now a third LED is out. I replaced all the caps on that board (the 8 that are the same 250v 150uf I believe) and the LED status is the same 1/4 lit and is green but no picture, I figured there would not be since the other LEDS are out.... Any ideas.... THANKS

Username: Atvjoe

Zenith z250px2d. Orig prob top heatsink on x board cold. No picture snd ok. Rec replacement board TSM. Voltages ck good going in and coming out Ysus. Plug in x board va drops from 192v to 180v screen light up red with rain effect. Question do i have anouther bad board? or both? Help!

Username: Atvjoe

Fort myers fl from Mu..., Florida USA

Question. Zenith lg etc Must both xsus and zsus be replaced at same time. As rec by lg. Thanx TvJoe.

Username: Underdogplus

I have read this forum thru at leased a couple of times as I have a Zenith 50 inch plasma that went POD [pop of death]. I have noticed a bunch of newer posts that apparently have not taken the time to read the entire forum. In the spirit of helping others I will now post the extent of my knowledge gathering on the dreaded POD [not just info for Zenith but also for Toshiba and others].
This site will give U an important troubleshooting manual
http://www.scribd.com/LG-50PC1DRTroubleshootingManual-2007-VG-Training/d/1607700 7
Here is a good place to get parts cheap: http://www.discount-merchant.com/Y-SUSTAIN-PN-6870QYC004A-6870QYC004B-6870QYC004 C-p/vizio-sku9501.htm
If U email me at underdogplus@gmail.com I will send U a plasma TV training manual that is much the same as the troubleshooting manual but is a little more instructional so the pair would be your best bet to find your problem through troubleshooting and not just replacing high dollar parts! Good Luck and happy trouble shooting :> D

Username: Thegeeknme

Same issue as all the other Toshiba 50HP66s so I'll post my story and maybe it will help.

Determined that chip on z-sus board was shorted out. (determined by disconnecting the 'power connect cross-over cable' that connects the y-sus and z-sus together) and turning tv on... it then fully powered up.

With digital ohm-meter started testing for 'shorts' and found the heatsink for the 'top' chip (YPPD-J015B) was shorted to ground.

Purchased a replacement chip here... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185057&Tpk=Scythe%20SY-1225SL12L

These things are REALLY silent but still move a good amount of air.

To power them, I 'spliced' into an already existing 12vfan wire coming off the middle power supply board. (look bottom-middle-left, watch your amps if you use different fans) To my delight the fans powered up perfectly. For placement i decided to have them blow 'air out' and centered them best I could over the top heatsink on each SUS board.

The results are amazing... without a fan the temps were easily 120-145 inside the TV. Now they only rise about 10-15 degrees above room temp.

The tv has been working great for over a month now, but time will tell. Special thanks to Cree9 for the idea!

Seems these things just run too hot!!

Time will tell, but moral of the story = ADD SOME EXTRA COOLING to keep those boards cool.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Username: Lamarraybon

First off, I read this thread from top to bottom~~
Ok all, I have a LG 50PX1D. It powers on and I also have sound, but no picture. Ive done my research and after reading this thread I now believe I need a new YSUS board, but I'm not totally sure.

My question is this; is there any way someone could post diagram pictures pointing out which resistor, chip, or fuses that would need to be replaced? I mean, I can fix this myself if I had some directional diagrams to assist me in locating the proper part area.

As it stands now, I'm selling my TV for $200 on Craigslist because I can't seem to locate what it needs exactly, nor do I know where to install it without a diagram of some sort. Any help would be more than appreciative, thanks.

I can be emailed illustrated diagram pictures or given good web links to help me install the components at lamarraybon@rocketmail.com

Thanks again.

Username: Anton_h

I'd like to add cooling fans to my Toshiba 50HP16 (same as 50HP66?), per thegeek's method above. The set has no fans now, and I can't locate a 12v connector to tap into. If anyone has a picture of the power supply board with the connector shown, or knows the connector number, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Here's a highlighted screenshot from the service manual of where the connector with the +12fan and 12fan wires are... you should be able to see some reallly tiny "+12fan" and "-fan" lables above the far right two wires on that connector if I remember right....

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10233897/Power%20Supply%20Pic.jpg

I'll try to get a 'real' picture to you in a few...

Here's the service manual for the 50hp66 as well...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10233897/50HP66_SVM.pdf

I just used a 18guage wire splice to tap into those + - feeds. Don' forget to watch your amps... the fans I spoke of above are only .2 each I think the max is 1amp?? i'll have to look..

Othewise the tv is still kick'n strong and the heat buildup is minimal. (actually seems to help heat the room ;-)

well you're in luck.. I was able to find the pics I took before I put it all back together...

Upload
Upload

Username: Anton_h

Thanks, thegeek. You are correct, the 12vfan labels are there, but very tiny. I appreciate the additional pictures -- it should make the fan install a breeze : )

For those with sustain board problems: I sent my z-sus board to http://www.coppelltvrepair.com They have an eBay store where they repair/exchange z and y boards for a flat rate ($99.95 to $119). On every board they automatically replace both IPM modules -- the most failure-prone part. So for not much more than the cost of two modules, I get a rebuilt, tested board. Recommended.

Username: Bostondann

After 13 months of ownership (just past the warranty expiration) my LG Plasma TV developed a serious problem. These include picture degradation, shutting down at random, screen lines, color degradation and others. We systematically applied solutions such as switching cable locations, using different cables, trying a variety of power supplies (basic strips to battery backup) and nothing seemed to help. We observed the TV in different modes and kept having the same problems whether we were using the Set Top Box (cable), the DVD player or the gaming system. One observation stuck out form the rest -- the problem did not occur when we were watching a black and white movie. But as soon as the film ended and we switched to a color movie, the screen popped and went blank.

I started researching the issue on-line (thank you Google!) and after some trial and error with search terms eventually discovered other plasma television owners with similar problems -- some have been kind enough to post pictures and videos that allow me to see the same problems as my plasma TV. Further investigation revealed that a common culprit appears to be the Y and Z Sustain Boards. These circuit boards are akin to the vertical and horizontal deflection circuits of older televisions and are at the heart of creating a picture on the screen.

Unfortunately, the Y and Z Sustain Boards (more simply called the YSUS and the ZSUS) are a serious weak point in ALL plasma televisions. Do a Google search for problems with plasma televisions or problems with these boards and your search results will light up with hits! Information about problems with these components span years of plasma manufacturing and cover a wide variety of brand names. The worst offender seems to be LG -- especially since they manufacture these boards as components for many other brands and have been doing so for many years.

Doubly unfortunate is that this problem seems to be rampant in the plasma television industry yet no one seems to know about it. It does not seem to be a safety issue (no fire hazard, etc.) so the Consumer Product Safety Commission has no information on it, it is a standard component of larger items with no particular brand involved, so the Better Business Bureau has no records on it, and the issue is spread out and technical enough that the average consumer seems to be unaware that it is such a large issue. How many plasma TV owners have to have this problem before it becomes general consumer knowledge?

In other words -- this is a KNOWN ISSUE with plasma televisions yet it has somehow fallen through the cracks of consumer knowledge and the plasma manufacturing industry is certainly not be\ringing to anyone's attention.

A call to LG customer support was less than helpful. The customer service representative on the other end of the line had no information on this issue (even though it is quite common). I knew more about the inner workings of my television than he did. The LG warranty does cover the "Panel" for a two year period -- and these components would appear to be core to the "Panel" -- but the service rep I spoke with could not provide me a definition of what is included as part of the "Panel".

To put this in perspective, my family once owned a Sony Trinitron for nearly 20 years before it was replaced and our former primary television (still in service) is a nearly decade old Sharp CRT unit. Neither of these units developed the problem this LG Plasma is having and neither ever needed to sort of repairs (both dollar and labor wise) that this plasma unit needs. So yeah -- this is big deal. When I spend the kind of money necessary to purchase a product such as a television, I expect to get more than 13 months of service out of it. I intend to get this unit repaired or replaced and I do not intend to be the one paying for it!

UPDATE: Just shy of 4 months of use since the repair and the tv is running great! It really is a beautiful TV.

@Anton... nice tip on the board rebuiilder... 99 for both seems very fair and reasonable for the work.

Again, if anyone has a plasma that has failed, i highly recommend adding some active cooling fans (https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=1892512#POST1892512) to keep things cool back there.

plasma tv cooling fan mod

I got my new (repaired ) YSUS board and put it in last night. I have the Zenith 50", and it seemed to be working fine except for some fuzzy red pixels in some dark areas. I can live with that, you dont really notice it too bad. However, I left it running for about 4 hours and I noticed now there is a "black Blob" that starts taking over the screen and kinda goes away. Could it be something on the YSUS board? I noticed when I got the board it looked like there was a capacitor with a hole in the top, but didnt blow. I think it was a manufacturing problem with that one but I figured I would try it anyway

I have a Zenith 50" and it has been working for over a year now after replacing the ZSUS board. I had a black blob that slowly receded. After about 15-20 minutes it would be gone, but there would be terrible ghosting. It was part luck and part educated guess. I read a lot of posts on this board and several other boards on the subject. It sounded like I got lucky and the damage to my TV was limited only to the ZSUS. If the YSUS were to go then usually the ZSUS gets damaged in the process. Not all of the time, but it's apparently common. Hopefully you get it fixed!

Yeah I have read that from this very helpful forum, I just didnt recall reading anything describing the blob symptom. I just got my ZSUS AKA (XSUS) today and I'm going to throw it in this evening. I will report back on the result. It's nice to see this topic is still going on with very useful tips and troubleshooting. THANKS ALL

I'm sure it was in another forum somewhere, but I seem to recall that the explanations of what the boards did were:

YSUS: Drives the image
ZSUS: Always refreshes and cleans the image
Driver Boards: Work in bands on the x & y axises

When I unplugged my ZSUS the image would be completely red. I'm sure I got lucky. I added two fans to the setup to be sure it got enough air. Here's an image after fixing it. Yeah, I'm proud of my very simple repair. It's like telling people that I know how to read! Woohoo!

Upload

Well, I popped it in and it works, no more blob and no more ghosting. However I still have the "red sparkle" in the dark/black of th whatever I'm watching. I read somewhere that there is a Red, Green and blue adjustments and that the sparkle can happen with any of the colors. I also read that if I turn it down a bit that it will fix that problem.. I tried looking at the links to the troubleshooting manuals but couldn't find it. I guess I'll see what I can come up with....

After the POP of death I replaced both YSUS and XSUS boards and everything worked perfect except for some red sparkles in dark area of whatever I was watching. I adjusted the pot VSET_UP location:VR22 clockwise and the red sparkle went away on my Zenith 50" plasma!!! Now lets see how long it lasts

Username: Scrapir

So I finally got the POD and plan on replacing the x and y boards. After looking into it more I found this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sanyo-Module-SPI-50X3E120-YSUS-Board-6871QYH039B-/170578981667?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item27b74cb323

Has anyone tried these boards yet?

Username: D_c_weber

Thanks to everyone for the useful advise.
I also got the pop of death on my Toshiba 50HP66. After taking the back off and looking thru the manual, when I plugged in the TV, the green LED's came on and then turned themselves off in a ~10 s period of cycling. This also occuured with the cable unplugged from the Y-SUS board, so the first thing I tried was the power board. This didn't help, so then I tried in succession the two control boards below it (www.shopjimmy.com). No luck, same symptoms. (But, at least shopjimmy returns your money as long as you buy a new board, so you are only out the shipping cost. At least, unless you return a board and don't get a new one, then it costs you $20 restocking fee.)
Then, it dawned on me that the Y-SUS board could still be the problem, if the control boards cycle the power when the Y-SUS board is disconnected. So, first I looked for Y-SUS boards. All were not only out of stock, but even when they get in stock, there is no guarrantee of a return of your money like shopjimmy.
So, I checked eBay and there was a repair shop in California ( Sang Phung(tvpcb.repair@gmail.com) . I called him and he told me that the repair and shipping is $101 and if you send Mr. Phung your suspect Y-SUS board, he will tell you if it is defective - no charge except for the charge to ship it to & fro. So, I sent it and got it back in a week. Installed it and everything worked.
Then, I installed the 2 cooling fans as above (suggest using a nibbler to clean the cut hole, and use the grill. I set the fans to blow out at the top.
But, in the process of soldering the fan power wires to the two white wires at the right side of the 12 way as shown above, I accidentially shorted them when turning on the power (dumb). This created a cycling again, but now I could here a sissling on the power board and could see some sparks and black coating near a jumper. So, instead of buying a new power board, I desoldered the jumper and cleaned it up, and resoldered a new jumper wire. Checked that the solder joints were good with a magnifying glass and checked with an ohmmeter nerby solders to ensure no conductivity to them. After installing the power board, everything works great.
I hope that the fans will keep the 2 modules on the Y-SUS board cool and now my TV will not get the "pop of death".

So, the short answer is: If you have a Toshiba 50HP66 and hear a loud pop and the screen goes dark, save some time and remove the Y-SUS board and send it in to get tested and repaired. This will save you time & money.

Username: Coppelltvrepair

So, the short answer is: If you have a Toshiba 50HP66 and hear a loud pop and the screen goes dark, save some time and remove the Y-SUS board and send it in to get tested and repaired. This will save you time & money.

This is, of course, not true.

Truth is YSUS fails first in about 80% of the time, but a good 20% ZSUS fail first.

In case you care this is the statistics of a few hundred serviced boards.

Ultimately both will fail though, with or without fans.

When ZSUS fails first YSUS fails sooner. Stands to reasons if you think about it.

Many are asking us if installing fans is a good idea. We don't have a hard proof, but we have an advice: if you don't take the heat out of the box then installing a fan to disperse it within the box might actually be a bad idea.

So I guess the answer is "probably yes, if you do it right".

We have a few articles at our blog disscussing those and other plasmas. I am not sure this forum will notify me if any of you asks a question, so if you need help you might as well need to eitehr PM me (in which case it should hopefully send an email) or contact me directly through http://www.coppelltvrepair.com .

I saved myself the trouble after replacing my y-sus and worked great for two weeks..... picked up my Toshiba 50HP66 and placed it ever so NOT gently into my trailer with much other trash that was headed for the local dump. This was a $2000 mistake on my part buying a Toshiba product that they would NOT stand behind, but I will NEVER subject myself to being ripped off again by Toshiba. Sorry to all that have had issues with these LG cards, and congrats to the people that have been able to fix the problem, but I am now going to block this thread and am done. Good Luck

There are two things you need to pay attention to:

1) Replacing any sustain board with one obtained from a chop shop like ShopJimmy or Discount-Merchant will result in exactly what you've witnessed.

It's because those boards have life span measured in thermo-cycles and any board coming out of a used TV has *significantly* shorter life than a new or properly serviced board.

In other words you've got what you paid for.

2) Toshiba is not any different than LG, Samsung, Dell, Viore, Vizio, HP and you-name-it here. I do not meant to defend them, I barely point out that you changing vendors is not at all increasing your odds of better products next time.
You'd be just going in circles moving from one company to another.

Instead, you should focus on choosing a product and making sure you like the prospects of the post-warranty support. Which,let's face it, aren't great looking...but as I said that's not limited to Toshiba, it's the same everywhere.

Bobby
www.coppelltvrepair.com

Username: Prince_of_darkness

Cheap undersized components don't make for a long lasting TV.
Some finally sued LG Electronics for their defective flat panel plasma and LCD TVs. (The case was filed in NJ, US District Court last month. Here is the link:
http://classactionlawsuitsinthenews.com/class-action-lawsuits/lg-electronics-lcd -plasma-television-tv-class-action-lawsuit-complaint/

Username: Prince_of_darkness

Apparently the link I posted doesn't work due to 404 issues. Sorry. Goggle "LG TV class action"

Username: Piperkoby

Hi all -
I too suffered the dreaded POD last Saturday morning. After finding this board (most helpful!) I was able to diagnose a bad YSUS board on my 50" Zenith Z50PX2D - I have checked the Buffers, power supply, XSUS/ZSUS, and control boards and everything else is good. Unfortunately, after I did all this, the wife informs me she wants a 3DTV...so we got a new TV.

I tell you all this because I am willing to sell my boards/any other parts out of my Zenith to any reader of this forum who may be interested. It looks like this thread may be dead, but I know that I found it last week when I was researching my problem, so maybe someone out there can use my parts to fix their units.

If you are interested, shoot me an email at mac@injury-lawyer-tn.com and I will let you know what I have. Like I said, the YSUS is bad, but everything else is good. I will sell the parts for a lot cheaper than you could find them anywhere else.

Today is 9/20/11 - Please no emails past the end of the year, I expect to be rid of the set by then.

Remember that these parts are compatible with Zenith, LG, Toshiba, and all of the other units listed above.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Username: Piperkoby

PLEASE NOTE: I no longer have any parts available from the TV listed in the post above. I tried to remove or edit my post, but the forum wont let me. I just wanted to let everyone know.

Username: Tvrepair

AUDIO Power MOSFET Audio Power Amplifier oled tv
IRFP4227PBF IRFP4768PBF IRFP90N20PBF IRGP4063DPBF IRGP4066DPBF FDA69N25
V80100P RURG80100 IXFR90N30 IXGR60N60D1 FQA44N30 RHRG3060 FDA50N50 IRFP250N IRFP260N IRFP264N IRFP460A IRF1404 88N30W UC3825 UC3875 IR2110 IR2153 IR1150 IRS2092 LT1061 LM361 TEA6842H TEA6846H TEA6848H TEA6849H
Magnetic Shielding inductance, transformer, filtering inductance
MMT140T5020 MMT140T6325 MMT330T3822 MMT330T2718 T157-2 T130-2 T106-2 ETD-44 ETD-49 ETD-59 EE-55
STK621-412 3-phase inverter motor drive inverter Hybrid IC
SN755866 SN755870 SN755867 SN755881 SN755864 SN755882 AS15-F AS15-G AS19-H1G AS19F FE3407F
SAMSUNG BUFFER IC
FE3407F=FE3298F=SN755882= AN16379A PDP50
LJ41-04218A(LJ92-01400A) LJ41-04219A(LJ92-01401A)
LJ41-05121A(LJ92-04191A) LJ41-05122A(LJ92-04192A)
LJ41-03882A(LJ92-01276C) LJ41-03883A(LJ92-01277C)
SN755867= SN755870 50X3 S50HW-XB03
LJ41-02760A LJ92-01202 LJ41-02761A LJ92-01203A
LJ41-02318A LJ41-02319A LJ92-01047A LJ92-01048A
AWW1147 AWW1148 SN755870
SN755866 42V6 50X2 60X5
6870QDC004A 6870QDC005A 50X3
6870QDC104A 6870QDC105A 50X3
6870QDE011A 6871QDH066B
6871QDH067B 6871QDH067A
6871QDH088A 6871QDH089A 50X3
ND60200-0033 ND60200-0034 42V6
6870QDC003A 6870QFC003A 50X2
6871QDH080A 6871QDH081A
FE3294F=3294F
HITACHI BUFFER ND60200-0047 ND60200-0048
AS15-G V315B1-C01
STK795-521 AXF1145 STK795-523 AXF1144 PIONEER PDP43
STK795-820 STK795-821 YPPD-J017C YPPD-J018C YPPD-J018E 42V8 42X3
4921QP1041 4921QP1050B
YPPD-J015A YPPD-J015B YPPD-J015C YPPD-J015E SPI-50X3S240 4921QP1032C
4921QP1038A 4921QP1038B 4921QP1038C 4921QP1046A 4921QP1046B 4921QP1048A 4921QP1048B 4921QP1052A 4921QP1052B 50X3
YPPD-J016A YPPD-J016B YPPD-J016C YPPD-J016E SPI-50X3E120 4921QP1033C
4921QP1038A 4921QP1038B 4921QP1038C 4921QP1047A 4921QP1047B
4921QP1049A 4921QP1053A 4921QP1053B 50X3
YPPD-J010A YPPD-J010C YPPD-J012A 4921QP1029A 4921QP1029P 2300KCK005A
2300KCK005B 2300KFA099B 50X2A 60X5A Y SUS
4921QP1001B 4921QP1002B 4921QP1003B 4921QP1004A 4921QP1004B
4921QP1007A 4921QP1009A 4921QP1009B 4921QP1022B 4921QP1030A
YPPD-J004A YPPD-J004B YPPD-J013A 2300KC1502A 50X2 60X5 Z SUS

50X2A 60X5A Y SUS
6870QYC003B 6871QYH032B 6871QYH032C 6871QYH035A 6871QYH035B
6871QYH038B

50X2A 60X5A Z SUS
6870QYC002A 6870QYC002C 6870QZC003A 6870QZC003P 6871QZH036C
6871QZH040A 6871QZH040B 6871QZH043A 6871QZH043B 6871QZH043P

50X2 60X5 YSUS
6870QYB005D 6870QYB005E 6871QYH023B 6871QYH028A 6871QYH028B

50X2 60X5 ZSUS
6870QZB008D 6870QZB008E 6870QZB008F 6871QZH031A 6871QZH031B
6871QZH025A 6871QZH025B

PDP5016H P50W38 P50W38P PDP5010 50PX1D-UC 50PX4DR-UA VM-50X795
DU50PZ60 DU50PZ60H MU-50PM10 MU-50PZ90C MU-50PZ90MQ MU-50PZ90V
MU50PZ44VS 60PY2D 60PY2D-AB

LCD TV POWER IC
FA5571N CXA3809M DB9897FS FDD8447L STA500 STA505 STA506 STA507 STA516B STA517A STA517B MIP2E4D MIP2C1 MIP2C3 MIP2C4 MIP2E1D MIP2E2D MIP2F2 MIP2F3 MIP2F4 MIP2G4 MIP2H2 MIP2K2
RM3252 RM3262 RM6203 RM6224 THX201 THX202 THX203 ML4824IP 1207A NCP1207A 5501A FA5501A 1607B NCP1607B 5571 FA5571 L6599D L6599AD NCP1396AG FAN7602B FAN7602C LNK362PG SSC9101 QZ9966SN BD9893F BD9275F L6562D DLA001D A393F LD7552BPS ICE3B0365J FSGM300N DM0565R EA1530A TEA1530A EA1532A TEA1532A NCP1217A065 NCP1217 TOP257YN UC3842 FSL206MR SG5841SZ NCP1337P SG5841SZ SG5841JSZ 17A06 NCP1653A NCP1206D60R2G FAN6755 NCP1587DR2G L6598D A6052M STR-A6052M FAN7529MX FAN7529 LD7575PS LD7522PS FSQ510 SG6848 6848DZ TEA1733 1653A NCP5181DR2G NCP5181 LD7576GS LD7576PS INN801 CX4060 P1014AP06 FAN7601 DAP7A DAP8A DL0165 200D6 NCP1200A 200A1 L6561D KA7552 9971D FSL206MR FSQ0265R A6251 4502C MP1006ES CX1513 A6069H AP1534 R2A20113A 1H0165R FDS8958A AS3693 AS3693B LM1117-3.3 AOZ1046 MP2380 AP1084-3.3 AP1084-ADJ AMS1117-2.5 AO4459 LM78D05 MP2380 AOZ1046 AO4459 AZ1084S-ADJ 24C64 24C04 NCP1579 NCP33262 NCP1396 MX25L6405 MX25L3205 TSA5707 TSA5707A IP101A 2SC2717 MC34844 MC34845 OZ9986 AAT2404 AAT2405

LCD TV LED TV high frequency transformer
6005B 6007B 6009B 6010B 6016B 6101A 6502G 6511M 6601A 6603D 6603H 6604B 6605D 6016B 6602H 6603H 6604B 6604H 6511M
4001K 4001Y 4002Y 4003F 4003E 4004D 4004Q 4004L 4005D 4006Y 4007D 4007Q 4008Q 4012Q 4017Q 8TC005101GP 8TC0058801GP 80GL19T-40-V 80GL19T-24-DN EEL-22D EEL-22W EEL-22 5100-018010-0000 5100-092200-0000 5100-064200-01 730-703-190DTLBH SPW-078LSE120BH 80GL24T-23-V 80GL20T-510-DN 80GL22T-1-V 11003563 60D-9086 80GL52P-48-H 80GL32P-90-H 730-703-M19AW BCK-42-0103 BCK-35-LF01K BK-35-L001 401-8322-27411G 8TC0049901GP 8TC0056402GP QGAH02107 TM-12260 SPI 8TC00332 QGAH02094 0 11TM49A RDENC2570TPZZ 1400285 V144-F01 V144-F02 QGAH02095 QGAH02098 QGAH02113 SPW-080 TMS93700CT BL009 085C LTW-40 NY05370C IT-093 067S HSI31-704V LT-4016 MLT-2724 AIT-172 LT-3216 LT-U3208 340126AD Y7A3T831 LT-U52-1SJ0915DCA LT-3224 L2-CF47NS-1 L2-EE37-A-08A17B-KI L2-EH37-A BET-2544-F42L CI3250-EH37A-08524-KD 6016B79IAL2 6025B758A11 4007D537002 4004Y77IA15 HIT 282 0524J T51.8234.210 T51.8235.210 T51.8210.210 T51.0165.211 T51.0034.211 T51.0115.210 T51.0080.212 T51.0115.210 T51.0049.212 T51.8202.211 T51.8226.211 T51.8227.211

www.dazelong.com DAZELONG168@163.COM
http://www.facebook.com/samsunglcdtv168
http://www.twitter.com/samsungledtv168
https://twitter.com/oledtv168
http://cn.linkedin.com/pub/samsung-ledtv/53/a4b/bb7

Username: Josephrohdes221

TV and other electronic devices are voltage sensitive , any excess of voltage or electric current may lead to damage of small parts like transistors which are usually required for proper functioning for formation of picture but companies selling such type of electrical appliance should have some mechanism to protect the TV at multilevel such as use of fuses in many stages to reduce the damage in welfare of customer.

I was wondering how long I've had this thing since I fixed it(September 15, 2010) so I came back here to see how long it's been. The fans are still quietly cooling things and the TV is still running along as good as ever. September 15, 2010 Even survived the move to a new house.

These are great TVs... wish they had been designed for cooling from the beginning.

FWIW

I do not mean to argue, but the original module life is about this much as well and it may depend on the version of the modules that were used (there are several possibilities although life span among them hardly differs significantly).

If you got new boards or new IPMs on the old boards you may have gotten this much without ventialtion as well.

By a pure coincidence just last week we got in shop a board we have serviced back in 2010 and the reason I remember it is because it may have been the first we've got back after 4 years of use. We've had a few from 2011 maybe and most of the people I guess never bother fixing it for a third time.

Anyhow, my point is that I am still not sure that ventilation makes a serious impact on those IPMs.

I've seen TVs with fans and TVs without fans and they blow in both of them, although I do not have specific data to say if one takes longer than the other and by how much.

I think they were badly design to begin with, they should not be wearing out at all.

Username: Chemdude

Roswell, GA United States

I bought my Toshiba 50HP66 plasma TV in 2006 and it has been mostly fine for the past 12 years. However, the other day, i got the "pop of death". I guess I should be happy that I got 12 good years out of it, but I love the picture quality, the vivid colors, and the awesome sound so I would hate to throw it away or sell if for junk parts. So please help me fix it. I have heard the pop of death in one of my Vizio LCD tvs and it ended up being some of the capacitors on the power supply board. I bought a new board on Ebay and installed it myself and it now works just fine. So could I have the same problem with my plasma? I have no picture and no sound on my plasma. So what remedy should I try first? Thanks.

It is very hard to believe one of those worked for 12 years straight...you should play lottery, man! :-)

First you need to find which board has failed.

Because on 50HP66 after 12 years it could have been the power or either of the two sustain boards. (in some rare cases a combo of the 3).

The best way to test that is to disconnect the YSUS board from power and try to turn on the TV.

It should be clicking periodically, which is a result of the over-voltage-protection on the power supply board kicking in as the Vs voltage on it would go above 230V without the load supplied by the YSUS or ZSUS boards.

Measuring that voltage would be best for the sake of making sure the power supply is working fine.

Once you rule out the PSU (if you do) then you let it discharge for 3-4 minutes and move on to the next test:

you disconnect the ZSUS board from the YSUS board and connect the YSUS board back to the PSU; this way you eliminate the ZSUS board as a possible failure and leave the YSUS as both load and test; then you try to power on the TV and expect that the periodic clicking would have gone.

At this point you can also check the two fuses on the YSUS board; one of them - do not remember which of the two, but it is the one connected to the VS input pins - would be channeling the Vs voltage from the PSU to the board's power switching regulators AND to the ZSUS board.
Which is to say that if that fuse is open the problem will be on EITHER that board OR the ZSUS board; when a fuse is open usually one can find a dead short between the Vs and GND pins on the ZSUS board OR the other side of the fuse and GND on the YSUS board - the shortage indicates the failed board.

Sometimes when a board fail it does not short or the short is not between Vs and GND, but instead between the SUS_OUT and GND , both of which are found at the back of the board near contact pins of the large ICs with heat sinks found on each of the boards.

You can find a lot more if you search for that model at
http://blog.coppelltvrepair.com

Last piece of advice: if you are buying a board do not buy a used board because their average life is a WHOLE lot less than 12 years! That means you've been really, really lucky and it also means whatever used board you buy is much much more likely to fail sooner rather than later, unless it was recently serviced and brand new components were used to repair it.

SO it is best to get a serviced board from a reliable vendor OR send yours for repair rather than buy a good working one on eBay.

This is true for many other situations, but especially in this one with the sustain boards!

A few shameless suggestions:
http://www.coppelltvrepair.com/search?q=50hp66

Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help