Archive through August 15, 2007

Bronze Member
Username: Blueblobwega

Post Number: 13
Well, 9 months after my blobs appeared and a ton of grief from Sony refusing to cover the repair--Sony has now agreed to fix my KDF-42WE655 (Nov.04) based on their latest extended service memo noted above.

I called the local shop on 6-25 per Sony's instruction to have the set evaluated--5 seconds in the door he said you've got a bad light engine.[duh] He was clueless about the extended coverage so I quickly brought him up to speed. Don't these "authorized" service centers get service update bulletins from Sony? Hell most of Sony's own customer service reps don't know about this until you lead them by the nose to the extended coverage memo.

Anyway, he said he would still have to verify the coverage through his tech line but he would get back with me that day. He then asked me for a $125 trip charge for coming to "evaluate" the TV. As politely as I could, I refused to pay him telling him that this was Sony's dirty bath water and that he should bill them for this trip--as I ALREADY knew what the problem was and certainly wasn't paying anyone for an unnecessary trip. He called his boss--said "whatever" and left. Bottom line---refuse to pay anything if your TV has this issue and is listed in the bulletin.

The tech called today and said the part (optical block) was in and we're scheduled to have him come next week. So...so far so good.

As for those of you that Sony is trying to shaft just because your set is a 2003 model---fight that one. BBB, SERC etc.. As a rule, most state law governing your rights under warranties etc.. base the coverage period from date of purchase--NOT manufacture. They can claim only certain models all they want in their memos--but should this come to small claims or arbitration all you'd need to is prove that it's the same part and same problem of the one's they've already fixed.

Good luck

Username: Dwilkers

Post Number: 8
Cheryl-

I am to go to sonystyle.com, and pick out 2-3 TV's I would
consider using in this offer. Then I need to go to my local Sony
dealer and narrow it down to one TV. Next, I have to call Paul and
give him the model# of that TV. He will then send the info on to Sony
Exchange. I will receive a call from SE telling me how much I can then
pay for that TV.

That is the exact same line we were given. The person from ERC said it would be depreciated, but when we got handed off the deal soured by about $700. We went with a KDF-50E3000 Bravia.

Expect the deal to be one thing when you settle with ERC, then expect hard bargaining with the exchange department. Don't give up without extracting at least a couple hundred bucks out of them - that's what we had to do to get where we are now. They initially wanted $700, but I got so angry and was hanging up and the guy said "what if I could put you in XYZ for $500?".

So take a deep breath if you don't enjoy that sort of haggling, get a nice cup of tea and just be firm. As far as we can tell what they were willing to do was give us the equivalent of the money it would cost them for the part only in credit. Don't settle for less than that if you can avoid it.

One nice thing that sold us on the KDF-50E3000 is that while being an 8" larger screen (plus 1080p) the actual set is physically slightly smaller than our existing 42" set.

Username: Unclesalty

Post Number: 1
C. Fiori and Krista Welch,
I am also a member of your club, my set looks just like yours, here is my story, in Febuary of 2004, against all my wifes threats, I purchased a brand new KDF-60XBR950 from sony,it finally arrived in early March and I was in love, incredible Hd picture, there was only 1 set better at the time and it was the 70 inch model but I didnt have the room, anyway 11 months later just before the super bowl in HD the bulb went and so did another $225, runnin total $5625, moving on to august of 2005 and 18 months of ownership I had a blue blob on the right side of the set, I was 6 months out of warranty and my wife was going nuts, I called an authorized service guy around me he came and said it was the optical block to call sony and see if I could get them to help, $75 for this advice and diagnosis, running total $5700, well to my suprise it was not that hard to get them to cover the part, at that time it was listed at almost $1200, all I had to do was pay the service guy $200 to install it, running total $5900, 2006 add another bulb $225, running total $6125, finally early june 2007, blue blod left side of screen I called the service guy and he remembered me and told me on the phone it was the optical block again, he knew because Sony was having alot of problems with them, he told me to call them again, that advice was free, lucky me, I called and spoke to an agent and after awhile on the phone he said they had just issued a service bulletin and it would be covered to call my service man and tell him about the new bulletin, I said shouldnt he already know about it and he said maybe not as it had just recently come out, I called the service guy the next day and he looked for it and said he found the bulletin but it was not dor my model, if I didnt mention it the blue blob this time had stuck pixels with it growing in number every day, I made another call to sony and a more informed rep informed me after 10 minutes on hold that my service guy was right and the bulletin did not include my model number, they where covering all the lower end sets but not my $5000 XBR set, only if it was the road mapping, not the blue blob, well anyway thats it and am not going to give up, I am going to hound them until they make me happy, or my wife kills me, whatever comes first.

Username: Cheryljean

Post Number: 4
David-

Thanks for the info. Paul would not give me any idea of what the $ amount might be for my TV. He said that was up to SE, and the amount is "based on many different factors".

Because my TV goes in an entertainment center I am limited to 41" in TV width. I am also toying with the idea of trading for a flat panel TV rather than a rear projection which I am sure will increase my $x cost from Sony.

I have to do my homework this weekend, and re-enter the battle on Monday!

Thanks again, to you, and everyone, for your input on this forum. It has really helped me plan my strategy for this battle. I'll let you know what happens.

Username: Timzagorc

Post Number: 9
Okay - here's my update on trying to get my set fixed under the "blue dot or star pattern" additional service coverage.
I called Sony who told me to call my authorized service provider (ASP) and have them go through the "service alert" process to have this covered.
I called my ASP who said they are unaware of this announcement and I have to call Sony to get an authorization number.
I called Sony back and was told they do not give authorization numbers to consumers and to tell the ASP they need to review their service alerts and call their Sony technical assistance line to understand how to process this repair and coverage.
I called my ASP back and relayed the message from Sony that they need to check their service alerts and call Sony technical assistance to set this up. My ASP sounded like they didn't know what I was talking about even after giving them the link to the Sony annoucnement page. They said they will have a field tech call Sony tomorrow get it all processed properly. I'm guessing there is a 50/50 chance that will happen, but I'll keep you updated.
Thanks again to all on this board for all your help and advice.
Keep up the pressure!

Username: Edenney

Repair update:

I just happened to stumble across the Optical Block announcement the same day that Sony placed it on their website, and immediately called a Sony service center that same day (the 23rd of June) to request the repair. They had coincidentally been to my house the previous week to assess and pick up a Sony KLV23M1 that was having somewhat similar problems, and at the time I had them glance at my KDF-55WF655 to confirm my problem was the Optical Block even though I already knew it was from a previous failure (I hadn't found this forum yet).

Since I was able to tell them that their service reps had already seen and confirmed my problem when they picked up my other TV, I didn't have to go through the formality of a service call just to confirm what I already knew. Anyway, they allegedly ordered the Optical Block the same day, although they called me back on Monday or Tuesday (25th or 26th) to ask for a description of the problem that apparently Sony needed before they would send the part. I had already described the problem on Saturday so I was a little irritated about the wasted time since obviously Sony hadn't shipped anything yet, and I had even offered to pay for expedited shipping to get it here right away.

I called the service center again on Friday June 29th and was told that the parts for both my TVs were in and that they would call me on either Sat. June 30th or Monday July 2nd to schedule the repair . After not receiving any call, I called them back Monday and this person told me that the Optical block was not in, only the part for my 23" Sony, and that they were waiting for the part for my 55" to arrive before repairing the 23" so that they could just deliver both at the same time. I was really unhappy about this because I was essentially being punished for using the same service center for both of my TVs. The person also couldn't tell me anything about the status of my replacement Optical Block, my case #, or any shipping information, and nobody was around that could.

The person I spoke to said he would have the manger call me the next day, which was a week ago. I called them back today, and after explaining everything to the same person that originally told me my parts were in for both TVs back on the 29th, she put me on hold and the manager got on the phone. He said he was on vacation for a week and didn't know why someone told me he would call me last Tuesday when they knew he was gone, but he knew who I was and knew about my case.

He told me that they went ahead and repaired my 23" TV last week, but that they were waiting until they came to repair my 55" Sony to bring me my 23". I asked him the status of the Optical Block and he told me it was on back order from Sony. When I asked him the ETA he said they were on backorder until the end of the month!

So, that makes it at least 5 weeks from the time I requested repair for my Optical Block until it's supposed to come in, which makes me REALLY unhappy knowing that I was one of the very first to see the Sony service bulletin and request my repair, and at least some others who had requested their repair AFTER I did have already gotten their Optical Blocks replaced. It also means they were planning on just sitting on my 23" Sony for another 3-4 weeks because they didn't want to go out of their way to bring it to my house. I made it clear this was unacceptable, and allegedly they're going to bring it to me later this week.

Needless to say I'm NOT pleased with this service center the way they've handled my cases, and I'm especially not pleased with the fact that I have to stare at my huge, blue TV for another month. This is certainly Sony's fault for not being prepared for what anyone with a 5th grade education would have known would be a run on the Optical Blocks the moment they issued the service bulletin. OBVIOUSLY they're aware of the magnitude of the problem or they wouldn't have broken down and issued it in the first place, and logic dictates that there's a very large backlog of people who have been waiting for the repair until Sony agreed to pay for it.

Just one more reason to be unhappy about the way Sony has handled this whole thing. I'll update the status of my repair as soon as something changes. In the meantime I'm interested to hear from anyone else who has requested this repair, when they requested it, and when the repair was completed.

Post Number: 5
KDFE42A10 needing new b block

Success! and only because of all of you taking the time to participate in this forum. Thank you, and thank you to our host!

Recap: $1800 TV 4 months out of warranty, only used 11 months, and needed $1190 in repairs. I was very unhappy and called Sony Customer Service. I was passed on to Sony second level of customer service who offered $595 discount in repairs. I declined and wrote a letter to Executive Review Committee. The ERC offered an exchange giving some value to my old TV as a credit toward a TV I picked from sonystyle.com.

I chose a Bravia LCD flat panel HD 1080p model KDL40V2500 listed on the web site at $2500, but reduced to $2000. Through internet research I found that this model is soon to be replaced. Internet research also showed that I could buy it for as low as $1550 with no tax, no shipping, and locally for $1700 plus tax.

At Sony Exchange I talked to a very nice lady by the name of Jackie. I am buying the TV for $684 + tax which is not much more than my share of the repair estimate. The delivery will include unpacking the TV, putting it in place, and plugging it in to make sure all is OK.

I had some delivery issues that had to be resolved and Jackie solved those to my complete satisfaction.

I wish all of you success in your battles with Sony. We are having an effect!

Post Number: 10
I'm in shock (and finally quite pleased). Someone from Sony ERC staff in Fort Myers actually called me today to say they had reviewed my letter again and my blue blobs and stars will be fully covered under the additional warranty. They even called my local authorized service provider to give them the okay and ordered the part for me. I have been going back and forth with Sony customer service and my local service provider since the 6/23 announcement was posted. This person today was calling from a different office where it appears they are getting proactive about contacting people who have called or written in with the blob problem.
Again, I thank all on this board for your help and advice.

Cheers for those of you who have recently received a measure of success in getting your TVs repaired or exchanged. As it happens, the repairmen are here right now to replace the Optical Block on my KDF-55WF655.

From my previous posts you'll see that I was getting poor service from the service center in L.A. handling the repairs on both this TV and my 23" Sony LCD . However, the day after the manager told me that the Optical Block has been on back order (something I'm skeptical of, I requested my repair the same day they made the announcement), and would be back ordered until the end of July, he told me that the part was NOW in stock and arriving the following day.

In any event, it's here and being replaced, and for those of you wondering, I've been told by someone in a position to know at Sony Worldwide Support that the Optical Block has been reengineered and should not fail as it has been. This forum IS being monitored by Sony and they are certainly well aware of our issues, and it doesn't surprise me that some of you have recently found success in getting your issues resolved.

Nobody here is trying to get something for nothing, we all just our TVs to work as well as anyone would expect them to. I think Sony has finally come to terms with the problem and the possible damage it could cause to their reputation, and they're working to head this off and satisfy everyone. Word of mouth travels very fast in the age of the internet .

For anyone who is still experiencing problems or has a similar model TV with this same issue which wasn't reportedly covered in this extended warranty bulletin (we know there are 2004 models not covered with the same exact problem), keep after it and you'll get it repaired or exchanged. Don't settle for paying ANYTHING if you have a TV with a defective Optical Block.

(YAY! The TVs fixed and the blue blob is finally gone!)

Username: Cfiori

Redwood City, CA

Post Number: 2
Just thought I'd pass along an update on my quest to get my KDF-55WF655 blue star/dot problem fixed, which at this point has completely engulfed my entire screen in blue. At the end of last week I finally decided to call the local sony servicer back since I hadn't heard from them in almost a week. I was told that based on the photos that I had sent to her that she had just heard back from her sony support contact and that in fact my problem was covered by the service bulletin and that they had ordered the part. I am sure that it didn't take a Rhodes Scholar to look at the thousands of blue dots in my photos and determine that I did in fact have the blue star/dot problem as outlined in the 6/23 service bulletin.

I am now waiting for them to receive the part at which time she said I would be called to have an appointment scheduled. Of course she had no idea how long it would take to receive the replacement optical block. I suppose another call back to the local sony servicer in another day or two to find out the status would probably be prudent since I got the feeling that If I hadn't called last week to check on the status that I might have still been waiting to her from them about whether my issue is covered or not.

I will post again after my TV has been fixed to let you all know the outcome.

Username: Smh212

I recently had what appears to be a green "etch-a-sketch" appear on my Sony LCD projection, model #KF-50WE610. I have attached a picture of what I see on my screen. Can this be solved by changing the bulb? I have a spare XL-2100U bulb.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Username: Slinke

Stephan, there is currently no picture attached, but this sounds like the scribble/random line issue, requiring replacement of your optical block. This is covered by a Sony extended service bulletin, even if it is out of warranty. See my web page for more details:
http://splinke.googlepages.com/sonyrearprojectionlcdtv-opticalblock

Post Number: 6
Go to www.esupport.sony.com, click News and Alerts, enter your model #, and click search. The search result will answer your problem, I hope. Note the manufacture years that are covered, and Sony's deadline. Good luck!

Username: Travis_l

TX

My TV (KDF-55WF655) was repaired on Thursday evening. The two guys came to fix it, turned it on to verify it was the blue blob issue, took it apart, fixed it and hooked everything back up in less than 20 minutes. My TV is like new again. It's now brighter in addition to the lack of blue blobs. I had just started getting the star effect as more little stars were showing up. 4 of those in total in addition to the really big blob in the corner.

I did ask the guys if this problem would return in another 2 years and they said that it would not. They said that the cause of the issue had been addressed in the new optical blocks. I guess only time will tell.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for your efforts to get Sony to recognise and cover this issue!

Username: Smh212

Steve and Cheryl,

Thanks for your help!

Well got a call about 4:30 this afternoon from sony executive committee to inform me they had reviewed my case and where going to cover the repair fully, so I called my local authorized service guy and he told me he already had been contacted by Sony and he would call when he got the part to schedule the repair, Sony is back in my good graces, you pay a little more money but its worth it, guess I will buy the,60" BRAVIA XBR series SXRD Rear Projection HDTV Model Number: KDS-Z60XBR5 , when it comes out in September. In the meantime I will enjoy my soon to be repaired KDF-60XBR950, thank you Sony

Username: Dennis_l

After reading about everyone having the same type of problem with their Sony LCD TV. I two have had to resort to letter writing to obtain satifaction. My letter is based on what I have seen here. I will let you all know what if anything Sony will do for me.

July 18, 2007

Executive Review Committee
Sony Corporation
12451 Gateway Blvd
Fort Myers, Fl 33913

Re: Sony KF-50WE610 Defective Optical Engine
Event ID # E34728414

Dear Madam or Sir:

For many years I have confidently purchased Sony products. I am writing to you today to ask for your assistance.

As a loyal Sony customer I purchased a Sony television model # KF-50WE610, serial # 9174587 from REX on August 10, 2004 (copy of receipt attached).

It was my first purchase of a HDTV and a huge leap for us to spend that amount of money on a television. I also purchased a Sony DAVC7700 DVD Surround Sound at the same time for my home entertainment system. I have also purchased several Sony products in the past including two Vaio computers, Play station, and Trinitron TV's, having had excellent service from these products. So when we decided to take the leap and buy a new HDTV we knew what brand we could count on to be good quality and give us the service we were paying for: Sony. When we bought our new 50" Sony LCD we didn't even consider a different manufacturer.

The television worked well for almost 3 years. Then over the last couple of months something odd happened. Across the top of the screen a blue blob or haze developed extending into the right side of the screen. Simple troubleshooting of the attached components demonstrated that the problem was the television itself rather than some other attached component.

We started researching the problem on the internet and quickly learned that many, many others that own this and similar Sony models have the identical or similar problems, apparently caused by a part called the "Optical Engine" which Sony knows is of defective manufacture or design. Sony has issued extended warranty coverage for the Optical Engine's failure until September 30, 2007, albeit for a somewhat different set of symptoms described as "Road Mapping".

When I contacted Sony at the number provided in the TV manual the answering rep immediately knew what I was talking about and advised the TV needed to be diagnosed by a Sony repair shop for a possible new Optical Engine. She gave me incident reference ID # E34728414 but informed me Sony would only cover the repair if it was the "road mapping" condition with pictures of this posted on your web site under my model, if it wasn't this condition Sony would not cover the repair.

I was referred to Frank's TV my local Sony repair facility, their technician Ray came to my home and inspected the TV. He said that the blue blob condition on my screen will continue to grow as it has from the time it was initially noticed, until it completely covers the screen. The fix is to replace the Optical Engine, also advising that they see this condition more than the "road mapping" condition on this type of TV. Sony at this time is only offering to fix the "road mapping" condition, although the same defective part causes both problems. I have obtained an estimate of repair $1597.50 from them (copy attached).

This is a known defect in quality, manufacture or design, a defect acknowledged by Sony on a very high priced item sold to me as Sony Quality. One would certainty expect a TV to last more that this amount of time under normal use.

Since this part is known to be of defective manufacture or design and acknowledged as such by Sony I am asking that Sony cover this known defective part replacement in full - parts and labor - and restore my confidence in the Sony brand.

My experience is that Sony normally manufactures products of the highest possible quality and stands behind their products fully so I look forward to a favorable response from you to this request.

Thank you in advance for your help and consideration.

Sincerely yours,

Dennis Lipofsky

Attachments:

* Purchase Receipt
* Estimate

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Dennis---

As of Jun. 23 this defect is covered.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?news_id=206

Call your shop back and they can get the part ordered and will repair your set no charge.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
You may need to play a little hard ball with them given the model number---but it's the same part and I'm sure the BBB will have your back getting them to cover this.

Username: Craig_smith

I have a KDF-50we655 purchase 6/2005 and am having problems as well. I have purple fingerprint like dots apearing on the screen. I took the tv to an ASP and they diagnosed it as a optical block failure. However, he checked with sony and since it is not blue star/blob or road mapping it is not covered. Has anyone else ran across this problem? Also would you all recommend pursuing this further with sony. I talked to 1st and 2nd level customer support but got the "sorry sony will not be able to assist you" line. The ASP said it was definetly an optical block failure. Any suggestions would help thanks.

If you could, please post a picture or two of your TV here, taken against a background color that shows off the problem well. Sounds like it's certainly related to the same core defect, even if it's manifesting itself in a slightly different way on your TV. If we saw pictures it would almost certainly be obvious.

In any event, if it's the Optical Block as it surely is, and the problem is similar to everyone else's, you will almost certainly get some measure of justice at the end of the day. Most likely a new Optical Block fully covered, you just need to stay after it and write letters to the right people. Look back at some of the recent posts for more information.

Username: Vvbalogh

I have a Sony DF-50WE610 and we are experiencing several spots on the screen. I tend to describe them as "shadow" looking. They aren't really a color, just a dark spot. They are in the same spot on the TV screen all the time and are most noticable when the background is a very light color. They are even there when we are watching DVD's. We had a repair man out but I don't think he had a clue about anything. I was told to get new cables (which we did). I am curious as to whether anyone thinks this is also associated to the Optical block problem.

Blue Blog Wega

Thank you for your response. I checked out the web link to Sony you posetd that would cover my set. The problem my set has is exactly what they have posted for conditions they are covering now until December 2008, but my model is not one of them "yet".
Yet the Optical Block is the failed part in all the sets, so hopefully Sony will step up and fix it.

Username: Dlester1

Regarding the Blue Pattern or Blue Blob issues on our 2003 Sony Grand Wega KF50WE610, it is not covered by Sony's additional service coverage for blue pattern:

Thanks to the many individual posts of this extremely helpful thread, my wife and I borrowed examples / tips and executed a procedure that resulted in a rather fair deal from Sony. For our cost of $ 508 + tax, Sony will send us a brand new 40" Sony Bravia 1080p (KDL40V2500) TV. Not too bad considering to fix our 2003 Grand Wega, a new optical block costs $1126.91, tax on the block = $81.70, labor to install = $195.00, service call to diagnose the problem = $50, grand total = $1453.61. Sony is insistent that they will not fix this TV; warrantee or additional service coverage does not cover it. They don't even want it back as a return!

We could have purchased another 50" rear projection 1080p Grand Wega (KDS50A2020) for the same amount of $508 + tax, but decided that we really don't need a large TV in our small living room, also we are somewhat intimidated and tired of replacing lamp blocks @ $200 each, every 9-12 months! (Lamps on the KDS50A2020 are $250). I know we're going down in size, but we have seen the 40" LCD Bravia, and it is truly awesome! Color and contrast are way beyond our rear projection Grand Wega.

Here is an outline of our procedures, if anyone is interested:

1. Diagnose the problem. At first the colors of certain areas seemed to be wrong or washed out, especially on the right side of our screen, green grass looked like blue grass! HDTV looked even worse, weird bluish tint on right side of screen. We thought the lamp was going out (again) and ordered a new one. This did not help. Internet research discovered Steve Linke's web page that unraveled the mystery of this problem! We figured out that if we hit TV/VIDEO to DVD on the remote without the DVD being turned on, a black background is shown with the ominous bluish ghost very visible -- The Blue Blob! Just like the pics on Linke's web page and other examples shown on this thread. (I have the pics if anyone is interested -- email me). You will have to have an authorized Sony repair center come to your home to document the blue pattern problem and give a written estimate for the repair. It will be a problem with the optical block.

2. Call Sony Customer Service. Document your conversation! These guys will tell you that you are covered by Sony's additional service coverage for blue pattern. If your model is 2003, you are not covered. Be prepared to send letter to:

Sony Electronics
Attn: Executive Review Committee
12451 Gateway Boulevard
Fort Meyers, FL 33913-1917

In your letter, make sure you include these items; a) Proof of purchase
b) Documentation of problem and a written estimate for repair from authorized
Sony repair center. c) What you will do to reconcile the situation, i.e. threats to Better Business Bureau, small claims, etc.

3. Sony will call you. Could be from Paul or Jose, They will give you a reference number and ask you to find replacement TVs to your liking. Just make sure they are listed in the sonystyle.com website. They are not going to give you the TV you choose for an even swap! You will have to pay something, I don't know Sony's formula for depreciation but they gave us $1491 credit on our 3 ½ year old Grand Wega that we originally paid $3299.99. Better than watching blue blob or paying to fix your TV! Find a TV that you like from sonystyle.com, document and provide the model number.

4. Sony will call you back. Probably from Jackie. Provide reference number and the
TV you have chosen to replace your blue blob. Be prepared to use credit card to pay for your share.

Hope this helps anyone that has had the same frustrations that we have had! Thanks to the pioneers in of this thread, there are alternatives for the blue blob.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Congrats Dave, this forum has been so helpful to so many people and in my opinion has been the driving force behind Sony's ultimate decision to cover the Optical Block through the end of 2008 for most owners.

I'm not surprised at all that Sony didn't want the TV back, the cost to own one of these things between the lamps and the Optical Blocks is insane. Even though I've been assured by a VP at Sony that the Optical Block has been fixed, if this new one fails again I'm definitely going to make Sony exchange it. Hopefully by then the cost on the Bravia LCDs will have dropped to a reasonable price and I can replace my 55" rear projection with an LCD.

I already have a 32" Bravia and a 23" LCD and the picture is definitely better, especially on the Bravia. However, within 18 months of purchasing the 23" LCD I had to have major repairs done in it when I started to get discoloration on the screen which grew over time, not entirely unlike the problem with Optical Block but it was diagnosed as being the "B" Board (obviously there's no optical block).

Username: Nomoresony

El Paso, TX

Post Number: 3
Update to my June 9 post. I had an authorized Sony service center repair my KDF-60XS955. They had the TV about 2 weeks while waiting for the part. I sent Sony the claim form with all the receipts on July 16 and am waiting for my check. Hopefully, Sony will do what they say they will do. But I should add that when I contacted Sony to ask if the repairs had to be done by an authorized Sony service center I was told that anyone could do it. Not true. Sony would sell my repairman the part. Another nail in the coffin. Bye Sony!

Username: Patrebel

I have been working in the background on this for 2 years. I hope that those of you that wrote to sony has already gotten this note. Congrats to the power of the internet. I know this site has helped many people...

Dear valued Sony customer,

As technology evolves, Sony continually looks to stand behind the reliability of its televisions. It has come to our attention that a limited number of Grand WEGA rear projection televisions (KDF-42WE655, KDF-50WE655, KDF-55WF655, KDF-60WF655,
KDF-55XS955, KDF-60XS955, KF-42WE620 and KF-50WE620), after a period of time, exhibit blue dot or star pattern on the screen.

As part of our commitment to quality, Sony is announcing that for any owner of these model televisions who paid out-of pocket expenses on or before August 31, 2007 for an estimate or repair service to replace the optical block for this specific issue, Sony will reimburse the customer by mail for his/her parts and labor expenses. To receive reimbursement, please follow completely the directions on the claim form. All claims must be postmarked by January 31, 2008. See claim form for complete terms and conditions.

In addition, for any customer who later experiences this issue on one of the affected models, Sony will cover the cost of the optical block repair (parts and labor) at no charge through December 31, 2008. All other terms of the Sony limited warranty continue to apply. Sony utilizes a network of hundreds of qualified independent third-party servicers to perform in-home television warranty service. Sony, through its authorized servicer network, will endeavor to repair your set within 30 days of your first contact. For diagnosis, warranty service, or if you are not provided a repair within 30 days, please contact Sony at (888) 649-7669.

Best regards,

Sony Electronics

Well Sony must be listening...Got a call today from Kevin at their Exec Review, he offered a replacement TV from Sonystyle.com, pick out the new model I want and let him know. He advises that I will be contacted and they will advise how much "credit" he mentioned about $1400, and they will replace the TV. I have seen here that this seems to be the offer others have gotten, and I would rather get a new 1080p for $400-$500 than pay that to fix my Grand Wega.
I would like to thank everyone here that has supplied information about thier experiences with Sony, it has definetly helped me out of the "Blue Bob". By the way they said to throw the old TV away, they don't want it back.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
For all of you getting replacement TVs and tossing your worthless rear projections, be sure to send me the lamps :-). Just got mine repaired so I'm stuck with it for a while!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
@James-
Thanks for the bumped heads up mate. If you backscroll to Jun 23rd. you'll see where a presumed Sony representative posted the extended "blue blob" service bulletin. And given the depth of this thread....a re-post was definitely in order.

Why it took them a month to email folks is just a result of the ivory tower bureaucracy so I'm glad I had the email alerts on---I jumped on them last month and my TV is now just like new.

@Dennis, et.al.-

Good deal for you as long as you're comfortable with their new model downsize "settlement" for the 2003 owners. I actually shopped and bought that same model for my brother-in-law last April---it's a kick-butt flat panel. That said, I still feel like Sony is milking the 2003 owners a bit given that it's the same freekin' part. They're dickering panel and screen size just because it's a "model year" later?

Fuh....I can maybe see giving them some difference on a flat panel(of the same screen size) but $500 to get you back what you paid for in a RP? You're inadvertently doing them a favor clearing dead inventory with that route. Yeah--they stepped up on second pass (ERC) albeit with one foot.

I'm not second guessing your alls' decisions by any means. There's only so many hours and fight left in the days and weeks to come right?

I'm jus sayin' so in the purest interest of FAIRNESS.

Username: Dlester1

Great News Dennis!
A brand new 1080p for around $500 sounds like a pretty fair deal! There may be better offers for other models in this thread, but for owners of 2003 Grand Wega models with blue-blob problems, this might be as good as it gets from Sony (remember blue pattern issues are not covered in the additional service coverage for our model KF-50WE610).
Sounds like we still have a common problem though, what to do with our KF-50WE610! What are you going to do with yours? If you sell it, what would be a fair price? Our Grand Wega still works ok, except for the blue blob. I am almost tempted to follow Steve Linke's lead regarding replacing the defective optical block myself from; "A company called Tri-State Module in Evansville, Indiana ... They apparently will exchange your used optical block for a rebuilt one for about $380". Quote from Steve Linke's website @ http://splinke.googlepages.com/sonyrearprojectionlcdtv-opticalblock
I have no idea how intensive this labor would be. I know Lou58 has pics @ http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=10539694 regarding instructions on the KF-50WE610 optical bock, but I don't know if this is over my head.
Any ideas?

Bronze Member

I can tell you, and others have said the same, that it only takes about 20-25 minutes for someone that knows what they're doing to replace the Optical Block. It's not physically demanding, nothing heavy, it's just a matter of having a power screwdriver with the right extension(s), and knowing what to remove and in what order. They always send 2 guys to do it, but there's nothing about the process that requires 2 guys.

They just did mine about 2 weeks ago and I watched the entire process, though there was someone in the way half the time.. I almost taped it but they had already started on it before it occurred to me. It would be VERY helpful if someone would undertake this process, tape it, and make it available to anyone on this board wishing to do this themselves.

Good luck!

I added an additional page to my web site with more pictures and some instructions for optical block replacement on a KDF-55WF655. The instructions should not be considered 100% complete, and I do not guarantee their accuracy. Hopefully, some will find it useful, though, particularly if it means resurrecting a TV that would have gone into the trash.

http://splinke.googlepages.com/sonykdf-55wf655opticalblockreplacement

Bronze Member

On a related note, since I had a 2004 model with the blue haze/blob problem, Sony covered my repair in full by a Sony authorized repair center. However, the first optical block they sent was for the wrong TV, and then the second optical block was defective (colored vertical lines, see attached picture). The third block finally worked, and hopefully will continue to work longer than two years.

After the first screw-up, the technician put my old optical block back in when he realized the new one wouldn't fit. Then, I waited a couple of weeks due to the optical block supposedly being on back-order. And, after putting the defective block in, the technician did not have time to put my old one back in (at least it was viewable with the blue haze/blob--the colored bar made it unwatchable). Fortunately, the third block came in in a few days, so the TV was only non-functional for a week.

Defective replacement optical block (colored vertical lines):
Upload

Blue Bold Wega

Sony said they feel that 7 years is the service life of the TV, we all know that the technology changes daily. And with that change the prices keep dropping.
I expect back 60% of what I paid for my Sony 4 year ago. At 10% per year depreciation, this appears to be about the standard percentage. Having insurance background I can attest to that.
The new model I picked out is not the old technology but a brand new 1080p set due to be released 7-31, model #KDF-50E3000. The price on sonystyle.com was $2199, reduced to $1799. If you figure that if Sony was to supply the Optical Block part for free, and I was to pay for labor, it would still cost me the same.
I can only hope that Sony has fixed the problems, and the new generation TV's don't do the same.
I had a "warranty" issue with GM in 1993, the refused to repair my car under their rust through warranty because the panel that rusted out wasn't a "exterior sheet metal panel". I glued the thing up, traded it in, and haven't and will never buy another GM product. Since 93 I have purchased 13 new vehicles, none of them GM, and haven't had a warranty issue with any of them. Think of it 13 vehicles times thousands of unhappy customers equals a lot of $$ to the big boys you would think.
My hats off to Sony for trying to keep this customer happy, even if it is one at a time.

Just heard back from Sony..$400 plus tax gets me a new one..no brainer 4 me

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Sony's offer to Dennis is fair. He is paying extra and getting extra. But Sony's wildly inconsistent and subjective offers to other 2003 owners is downright silly and annoying.

I'm glad they fixed my 2004--but my hat will stay right where it is until they commit to treating everyone equally. Many 2003 owners may not be in a position to (nor should be expected to) incur additional out of pocket expense for an admittedly defective product.

What's fair:

1. Include 2003 owners in the 6-23 Additional Service Coverage.

2. Offer them a downsized flat panel at NC

3. Offer them the same size flat panel at a reasonable upcharge.

Username: Miken

Hello all,
Thanks to everyone for posting their optical block problems on this board. I have a 2004 KDF-42WE655 with the blue dots and blobs. It was on this board that I discovered the message from Sony, saying they were going to warranty this problem. I then contacted the local Sony ASC, who had not heard of the additional service coverage. Once they came out to look at the problem, they knew it was the optical block (they had seen it a lot). I showed them the additional service coverage bulletin, hoping I wouldn't have to shell out the $1,200 for repairs, and then file a claim form. Once they checked up on the service coverage, they came back the next week, picked up the TV (not sure why they had to take it in), and returned it yesterday. The picture looks great, and best of all, no charge! I'll be filing a claim with Sony only for the service call the ASC charged.
Thanks again to everyone. Like Blue Blob Wega, I'm hoping Sony will cover all the 2003 owners' optical block problems, too.}}

Anybody have an e-mail address or phone number for the executive review committee, I accidentally erased the number off of the caller ID.

Username: Farmerpig

Hello everyone, I am so happy to see this forum...I am fighting Sony for my Blue Haze/Blob..My KDF-70XBR950 is not on the list and according to Sony it is not the correct blue haze or blob...It was manufactured 3/2005 and I bought it 4/2005.... I am sure it is one of the largest Paper weights to date...I have wrote, thanks to this forum to the CEO & SRC...Plus I did the complaint to the BBB...You see my Sony Gold service tech (local) knew it was the optical block and said Sony would replace it...But Sony (HQ)decided since my model is not listed it would not...It's the same optical block for everyone...I am fighting, next is small claims...Sony lost a very good customer...My next 5500 bucks for a TV will be to someone else...I will get my satisfaction...

Username: Volvos60

Westlake, La. United States

Well,I finally got my KDF55WF655 back today.The total cost was 1,836$(1600 parts and labor was 236).My CC extended warranty covered everything,but I will never forgive Sony for their corporate greed and the way they are treating loyal customers not covered by a warranty.A friend of mine has a Mitsibushi 55" LCD that just had the light engine go out on it after less than 2 years.
I'm thankful for the internet and especially this forum.Twenty years ago,this would have all been swept under the rug by Sony or any other corporation for that matter.Public pressure and exposure does work.It's a shame to have to fight for what's right,be it a television or against an unwarranted war.My tv still doesn't catch the Fox NOISE Network.Maybe I'll call Sony,NOT.Good luck to everyone else and I apologize if some of my political comments offended the red herrings.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Frank -

Just keep after it, you'll definitely get it taken care of, especially since you have a very expensive 70" TV. I guarantee you they'll either repair it or give you a fair trade in value towards a new one. Every day you see one or two new posts on here from someone who got a trade in credit from Sony toward a new TV, or got their repair covered even though they aren't currently on the list of TVs covered for the "blue blob" issue (most of the time it's a trade in if you're not covered).

Usually the owner of a non-covered model year ends up contributing $300-$500 and they get a newer and better TV of the same size out of it, or for an even trade they get a slightly smaller new TV. Not entirely unfair since those are almsot all owners who purchased their TV in 2004 or 2003 so they've gotten 3 years of use out of it already, and you wouldn't be able to lease or rent a large HD TV for 3 years for $400.

In your case, since the largest TVs always go for a premium when they first come out and they've been out for a while now, you might actually get a new 70" without having to contribute anything. I see they have a new 70" on the Sonystyle website for $5500, but I'm not sure if that's the same site the Sony sends you to when they want you to pick out a new model, it might be cheaper where they send you.

It's not entirely fair because hardly anybody bought their TV from the expensive Sony site to begin with, yet we're forced to pay the premium price from Sony for a new one. I think they should give you a credit and let you get the TV wherever you can find the best deal like we all did with our first TVs, but I can see why they don't do that.

Anyway don't give up, you'll get a fair resolution from Sony one way or another. It doesn't make up for all the BS we've all had to put up with, but ever since they acknowledged the blue blob problem and extended the warranty for most TVs, they've been pretty good about responding to people with this problem even if the model isn't currently covered.

Eric D. Thanks for the words of Support...I will let all know if they answer my letters...

Anybody have an e-mail address or phone number for the executive review committee, I accidentally erased the number off of the caller ID.Just pm it to me please I really need to contact them.

Username: Big_cw

I have a DKF-50WE655 in the shop with an optical block problem. I also would like a phone number and e-mail for the executive rewiew committee. PM or e-mail.

Thank You

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
You may only be able to contact the ERC by regular mail. Somebody correct me, if I am wrong.

In my case I already have contacted them by certified mail and they have already called me, but like I said before I accidentally erased the number from the caller ID and need to speak to them again, so if someone can pm me the number I would greatly appreciate it.

Username: Qodfathr

I'm the owner of a KF-60DX100 with the blue blob problem and the same optical block as the TVs which Sony has been repairing.

I contacted the ERC and the office of the CEO. I got a call back. They said 'no', end of story. Not even an offer for even partial payment on the repair. So while it's nice to hear that some of you are finding satisfaction, I'd like to keep light on the fact that many of us are not.

I, too, have been a long-time purchaser of Sony A/V equipment. I influenced my father's purchases in the early 1980's. When I was own my own in the 1990's, I had a condo full of high-end Sony equipment. This TV was the showcase of my home theater. But no more.

I will never buy Sony again, and I will work tirelessly to ensure that no one I know ever buys Sony.

I will absolutely be taking Sony to small claims court.

Username: Jilldrzewiecki

Chicago

We just had our television repaired for the blue blob/blue star problem last night. (We had both.) The Sony Authorized Serviceman also found a yellowish tint in the middle of the screen that we did not even realize we had. This too was caused by the faulty optical block. I'd like to say the repair experience went off without a hitch, but as you all know through your own experience, that would not be typical for Sony. Apparently,the communication between Sony and its authorized servicemen is quite lacking. I was told one thing by Sony and one thing by the servicman when I called to schedule the actual repair. But, it's finally done.

I am glad that Sony finally stepped up to the plate and took responsibility for the faulty product. However, I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the whole experience given the fact that Sony failed to take responsibility initially (which would have been the professional and honorable thing to do), denied there was a problem, and forced me to battle with them for 6 months. In fact, I did not receive respectful, courtious treatment from Sony until the end when I called to work out the misunderstanding regarding how to schedule the repair. I am also disturbed that Sony will not yet take responsibity for pre-2004 models that have the same defect. To me, this is a sad statement of how companies have come to conduct themselves.

Username: Big_cw

I took my KDF-50WE655 to a local Sony service center with a copy of the warranty letter from Sony's web site and they repaired mine in less then a week and filed for the warranty with Sony. I can't believe it was that easy. From what I've read about this problem I got lucky.

Username: 39791

I have the KDF50WE655, Manufactured Novemeber of 04. here are a couple of pictures, the dots are more noticeable against a light background.

Its not the input as you notice one of the photos is while the tv is set to view the the memory card.

Is this the blue blob, or the pink blob, it is getting worse?

Thank You

Eric

Upload

To Eric Lavergne,

The pictures of your tv could have easily been taken of my screen. I wrote sony executive review committee and the CEO. I had a call back withing 4 days. After faxing some documentation they have agreed to a exchange upgrade to a new tv. That is where it is at now. We'll see what they are willing to give me on a new TV. I'll will post again when I here from Sony again. Some of my faith in Sony has been restored however I still a bit miffed about the whole deal and the quality of the product and the initial customer support (rudeness).

Username: Orijonl

Craig and Eric,
Your tvs look exactly like mine. What exactly did you put in your letter to the ERC and CEO?

My KF-60WE610 displays the exact symptom described by Eric Lavergne and Craig Smith above.

It is my belief that although this problem is distinctly different from the "blue blob" and the "squiggly line/etch-a-sketch" problems, that it is also a light engine issue and may be as widespread as the other issues although it goes unnoticed by many casual users because it is not as prominent as the other issues.

I have seen many other people describe what sounds like this problem in this thread and others related to this set. But I haven't got a clear idea of what can be done about it. Since Sony will only recognize the 2 very obvious problems with their light engine, they do not offer any solution for those of us that have this one.

I'm curious about the procedure to clean the optical block with compressed air as this problem does look like it could occur from the collection of dust. (To Lou58 or anyone that has had success with this method, Do the pictures I attached look similar to the problems your set had before the fix?)

Obviously, I'm out of warranty, but I'm still a little reluctant to open the case while Sony is offering some help to certain individuals, but I'm also afraid that the normal routine will not apply to my specific problem.

To anyone with this or a similar issue please reply with your experiences.

I have also posted this on AVSForums http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=309559&page=113&pp=30

Craig, Jon

I did not send a letter to Sony, I have spoken to the customer service after receiving the form letter regarding the issues. I am not sure if my set is the blue blob or not, at this moment I am on the phone with a C.R.. I spoke with the local authorized repair center. They stated they would pull the optical block and I would have to pay upfront (Parts and Labor)they will send the optical block to Sony Engineer who in turn will determine if it falls under the recall. Not a in home service call 75 miles round trip for me.

I am happy to know (not wishing you bad luck but supports my case) that you two have the same problem.

Do you think that ours is the blue blob?

little hesitant about having the work done and it being in the hands of the Sony Engineer for interpretation.

Can either of you photo your screen preferably using the screen on the memory stick, this climates any issues of the signal input. I took a photo with my Sony Camcorder (ironic) of a white paper, displayed it and photo the screen this will eliminate image interference.

Eric

Jon, where do I find the pics you uploaded?

Eric

Jon and Eric,

I talked to sony today and they gave me $1500 credit for my kdf-50we655. I got the KDL-40v2500 for $300 and free shipping. I thought it was a fair deal. It helped restore some faith in sony. If you want I will post the letter I mailed to ERC and CEO. I also sent pictures of my screen as well as the etch-a-sketch and blue star extended service bulletins to demonstrate sony knows there is a problem. I also included a repair estimate which was $1100 and a bill of sale. The authorized service center I took my tv to said it was not the blue star/blob but was indeed the optical block and in his opionon was all really the same issue.

Craig,

Good for you, I would like very much to have a copy of the letter that you sent. Particularly since you sent pictures that resemble the same problem that I have, and they provided you this option they set a precedence. I purchased my set from Conns and the C.R. told me they were authorized. I am going to bring it in for diagnosis, and take the same steps that you did.

Thanks for the guidence.

Eric

Bronze Member

Sony sent a rep out today to replace my optical block for no charge. I had the blue blob/blue stars issue with a 2004 optical block. After going back and forth with Sony customer service and executive review committee for 6 months, I am finally made whole with a great picture once again all paid for by Sony. Thanks to everyone on this board for their advice and direction. I would have not been able to get this done without you. Good Luck to all with your issues. Thanks again and I'm out.

Username: Toots59

I know through reading this forum there is alot of talk about the opitical block. My problem is not with that but with the lamp blowing. Tonight I will go home and make a warranty call for the third lamp that has blown in 90 days. First one blew in April after having the tv for two years, had that one replaced. That one blew in June so I had that replaced. Now I am calling with another one. Has anyone else had this problem. Do you think it is just bad bulbs? I am at a loss.

Oh I forgot to put that I have the 55WF655 model.

Post Number: 7
Kate never had problems with the bulb still the original after 2.5 years. Stay here long enough and someone should be able to send you in the right direction.

Eric

I took the lamp out when I got home and instead of being burnt it was shattered. I called the warranty place and now they are going to send a tech out to fix it after I receive the new lamp from the manufacturer. I guess I should have asked why the tech was coming out. Anything like this happen to anyone? Thanks.

Username: Jskinner

I sent a letter to the Sony Exec Review Committee concerning my KF-42WE610 blue blob issue asking them to stand behind their product. Four days later I was contacted and received an offer for a new KDL-40S3000 LCD for $350 + tax. I just wanted my set repaired but this offer was more attractive to me. I think Sony supports their products as well or better than any other company and I will continue to be one of their customers.

Username: Sonyhater

Sony KDF55WF655 Will not turn on.TV standby light is flashing 6 times red. The repair cost of $1200 for a 2.5 yr old TV is just not a smart investment. Sony will not warranty and 2nd level support is like talking to a monkey,Let me correct that monkeys have a pulse, its like talking to a tree.Tech said it could be some box or the engine. Anyone want to buy it cheap for parts it has low hours and had an awesome picture till it just shut off I also have a brand new lamp in the box I thought the Tv was going to last long enuff to replace it someday. I will not pay to fix it after spending $2999 and I will not by anything Sony

Username: Holmesmic

VA

John, have you ever changed the lamp? My TV did what you are describing after about 1.5 years. We changed the bulb and it fixed the problem. For our set, the lamp was $200 (no labor cost, as we were able to do it ourselves). Good luck!

Username: Nomoresony

El Paso, TX

Sony sent me a check to cover the complete costs of the repair of my KDF-60XS955 optical block problem. I sent the claim form on 19 July and received the check on 2 Aug. All I had to do was send in the claim forms with receipts and it worked. No phone calls or emails between me and Sony.

Username: Anush

I have a KF42WE610 that I bought in Jan 2004 and just since last month it started having some green blobs on the lower left. From this forum or elsewhere, I came across this link: http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-item.pl?news_id=127&mdl=KF42WE610

that clearly states that Sony will bear the cost of the optical block repair until September 2007 - Has anybody gone through the experience of just getting it fixed - I will read the posts again, but some posts indicate that one may have to buy a newer TV under some kind of an exchange program. Other posts indicate that this model is not covered under their additional service plan. Like many of you have written, I paid $3K 3 years back for this TV only because it is SONY. I've even recommended such SONY TVs to my friends - I do hope SONY takes care my TV.

Username: Jskinner

Anush, Your set is covered for the road map problem not spots although both problems are the fault of the optical black. If the set is covered they will repair it. If it not covered, get an estimate, call Sony and they will tell you it is not covered. Then write a nice letter to the Executive review committee and they will probably give you an allowance for your set towards a new one. If they do, don't choose another LCD rear projection!! This is what I did; you can read about it 5 posts up. Sony did not have to do this for me; the warranty was expired and they could have just said "tough".

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
@Joe Horton et. al.

heh...I see that you apparently slipped through The Sony Big Red Tape Left Hand Right Hand Machine at the craps table that I eluded to back in March (pre-blob coverage memo).

There is at least one instance where someone was flatly denied after submitting their bill...but that was pre blue blob acknowledgement on Sony's part. As I said in this post. https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/355137.html#POST1083507 it was a favorable dice roll at the time for any and all blue blob victims.

See the link for my peon vs. ivory tower crack theory.

Congrats to you for you big bet win!

Got a call back from Sony ERC after many Faxes for them to get a clear copy...They are working on my request....In the mean time enjoy my Blob...Upload

Username: Behlov

Washington, DC

I purchased 2 KDF70XBR950's 2 years ago. One gets used almost daily and one gets used seldom (It is in our rec room). I too got the infamous Blue Blob like everyone else on the television I use most after 2 years of service.

So I called Sony Customer Service and they said my TV was not covered. The next step was to send the letter to the CEO and Executive Review Committee.

I received a call from Sony yesterday and the best they would offer me was half the cost of what I spent to get it fixed by their authorized service center, which was around $1,200. The part cost $900 and the service was around $300.

While it is better than nothing, it does bother me that this is truly a defect and Sony is not standing behind this and making us whole.

I am going to give serious thought to whether I ever buy a Sony again and it hurts to write that because I have been a loyal customer for years.

Username: Dawn_y

This is my first post but I want to thank all of you who have given such great info on the blue blob to those of us with the 2003 models. I wrote to the ERC and within a week they called. I have a KF50WE610 which was 3300 when we bought it in Jan 2004. They are sending me a KDL 46V2500 for $620. The new 3000 would have been $1200. I also could have had either the KDF 50E3000 or the KDS 50A3000 for $420 but we decided to stay away from the Rear Projection. I am very pleased with this offer and plan on getting the extended warranty thru Sony - it is 3 years on top of the original 1 yr for $100 unlike the Sears one which was 3 Years including the first year. For all of you still out there with blue blobs, do write to the ERC-you have nothing to loose and everything to gain. Good luck.

Username: C_baca

Is there anyone out there who can help with this. We have a 61" KP61HS10 it suddenly went black but still has sound, the standby light flashes 7 times. We did what the customer service agent told us to do (unplug to reboot but to no avail) but they were unable to tell us what the problem was. We would like to try to fix the problem ourselves if possible. Now accepting ideas. Thanks

I was told by sony support that the standby lite blinking red
7 or 8 times is a overheating or cooling fan problem.

Light my bad

Craig and Eric and anyone else with the thumbprint problem,

I have uploaded some pics of my set to my account at flickr http://www.flickr.com/gp/73899921@N00/0Hfcj3

You may have to copy the entire link and paste into your browser if the link is cut at the @ sign.

Please forgive the poor photography, but I believe you can makeout the same pattern of "thumbprints" in each pic regardless of the source.

I believe I will try to contact Sony support before I send any letters, but I would appreciate any info or advice that you guys can offer, particularly any correspondence that you have with Sony concerning this problem.

Thanks,
-Jon

Here is a letter I sent sony for my purple fingerprint problem. Much of it I copied from a letter in this forum. Jon your tv looks just like mine.

Executive Review Committee
Sony Corporation
12451 Gateway Blvd
Fort Myers, FL 33913

Re: Sony KDF-50WE655 Defective Optical Engine

July 21, 2007

Dear Madam or Sir:

For many years I have faithfully and confidently purchased Sony products. I am writing to you today to ask for your assistance.

As a loyal Sony customer I purchased a Sony television model # KDF-50WE655, serial # xxxxxxx from Gambles in Lander, Wyoming on June 10, 2005 (copy of receipt: attachment #1).

It was my first purchase of a HDTV and a huge leap for me to spend that amount of money on a television. We have purchased several other Sony products including numerous personal electronics, home stereos, and a Trinitron TV which I gave to my parents and is still working beautifully after nearly 8 years. So when I decided to take the leap and buy a new HDTV I knew what brand I could count on to be good quality and give my family the service we were paying for: Sony. When I bought the new 50" Sony LCD GRAND WEGA I didn't even consider a different manufacturer.

The television worked well for almost exactly 2 years. Then over the last couple of weeks something odd happened. Purple and grey fingerprint like spots appeared on the screen (pictures of the screen: attachment #2) and have continued to expand. Simple troubleshooting of the attached components demonstrated that the problem was the television itself rather than some other attached component.

We started researching the problem on the internet and quickly learned that many, many others that own this and similar Sony models have similar problems, apparently caused by a part called the "Optical Engine" which Sony knows is of defective manufacture or design. Sony has issued extended warranty coverage for the Optical Engine's failure on May 18, 2006, and another on June 23, 2007 albeit for a somewhat different set of symptoms (see attachment #3, Sony statement of Additional Coverage for defects in Optical Blocks).

Obviously the television needs to be replaced or repaired by Sony immediately. This is a known defect in quality, manufacture or design, a defect acknowledged by Sony on a very high priced item sold to me as Sony Quality, not some generic television I decided to buy on the cheap and take my chances with.

I have taken the time and expense to have the problem diagnosed at a local Sony authorized repair shop (see attachment #4, repair estimate parts and labor). The price of the optical engine was quoted at $890 and the labor to replace it at $150.

When I contacted Sony at the number provided in the TV manual the answering rep named Michael immediately knew what I was talking about and agreed the TV needed a new Optical Engine. He gave me incident reference #E34715498 but informed me Sony would not cover the repair since it was not a problem listed on either of the extended service bulletins.

Since this part is known to be of defective manufacture or design and acknowledged as such by Sony I am asking that Sony cover this known defective part replacement in full - parts and labor - and restore my confidence in the Sony brand.

My experience is that Sony normally manufactures products of the highest possible quality and stands behind their products fully so I look forward to a favorable response from you to this request.

Thanks in advance for your help and consideration.

Signed,

Craig Smith
610 6th Street Court
Lander, WY 82520
307-335-8885

Attachments:

* Purchase Receipt
* Pictures of Screen
* Sony Statements of Extended Coverage
* Estimate for Repair

copy: Sir Howard Stringer
Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
Sony Corporation
550 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10022

Jon, Craig.

Yeah Jon looks just like my set.

I have been on the phone to Sony CSR's all week, I was asking if there was someone I could just send my photos to for a preliminary diagnosis. This can't be done, so I have to take it to someone to tell me I have dots on my screen, that we all know does not mimic the symptoms of the blue blob, or the lines.

Contacted the authorized repair shop and they stated that they would have to take the optical block out, send it to sony, and wait for diagnosis (i can do that). If I want to I can purchase another block (she stated $900.00 parts $900.00 labor) and send the bill into Sony for reimbursement. Of course I asked if I could email the photos for their tech. to look at,(they cant do it either). Tried to explain to her and to Sony, I wanted to get an opinion before I disconnect all of the sony components, pack up my T.V. tote it 85 miles and miss 1/2 day of work. to have someone tell me its not the blue blob issue.

I guess this is the process prior to sending my letter (ongoing publication starting to look like war & peace).

I will keep you posted, On a positive note I do have a CSR supervisor who is personally handling my issue, so I don't have to go through the B.S. each time I call.

Eric

Bronze Member

Do they really want $900 for labor, even if you deliver your TV to their shop? If so, I would say that reaches the level of "unconscionable." I try to reserve that term for only the most shocking unethical treatment of consumers, but I think it could apply here. The technician who replaced my optical block took about 30 minutes to do it.

This purple fingerprint problem seems to be unique from the scribble and blue blob/haze problem. Perhaps I should add it to my web site:
http://splinke.googlepages.com/sonyrearprojectionlcdtv-opticalblock

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Yes, as has been documented many, many times on this board, the process to exchange the Optical Block is a 2 man job which takes 20-40 minutes, and in no event should take more than 45 minutes for 2 people. The primary reason it's a 2 man job is simply because two people are often required to move the TV to an accessible position to facilitate the repair and move it back again. 30 Minutes would be a very typical average time to replace. So, typical labor costs should be the initital diagnostic charge (which varies), plus 1 man hour (.5 x 2) for the actual repair.

From what I've seen on this board, typical labor charge for an Optical Block replacement runs around $300 which makes sense based on that formula, and the total cost of the repair is usually around $1200. $900 labor is either a serious typo, a mistake on the part of the estimator, or they're trying to rip you off the likes of which have never been seen before.

By the way, I live at least 75 miles round trip from the L.A. based facility that repaired my TV and they repaired it in home, just as they should. A 30-40 minute drive to the repair facility does not preclude you from receiving service calls in-home, although I dareasay that most aren't going to want to drive more than 45 minutes one way. It also depends on whether you're in a region where they can facilitate more than one repair or pick-up on the same day if they're going to have to travel, you may have to wait a few days or a week longer until they have one or more repairs to do in your area, but unless you're 50 miles or more from a service center, don't just let them tell you that you have to bring the TV in yourself, ESPECIALLY if you have a contract that specifically pays for in-home repair.

Does anyone know if the Optical block Sony is using to replace the bad ones are modified to not fail..Any known upgrades to keep this from happening again....Should I find a way to add more cooling fans?
Thanks

Craig,

Thanks for the post of your letter. It will help me greatly in planning for how to tackle this. By the way, was there any mention of Sony taking back your old TV?

Craig,

Also Did they give you any kind of runaround concerning whether to try to repair or replace the set?

Jon,

Sony told me that they did not want to repair the tv because it had no value to sony so they would assign it a value which was $1500 toward a new tv. They did not want the old tv and told me "disposal was up to me". I think I may try the rebuilt optical block from the company in Indiana. I am still waiting on delivery for the new tv I do live in rural wyoming so I am trying to be patient.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
The VP of Sony Worldwide Support who was assisting me with getting my repairs completed, told me that the problems with the defective Optical Blocks HAS been corrected and that the new ones should NOT fail. He told me to contact him if I had any future problems, and he proactively contacted me not the other way around, so I believe that at least he believes the problem has been fixed.

It wouldn't surprise me since Sony is still producing very similiar model rear projection TVs which surely use a very similiar model Optical Block. Whatever defect that slipped through R&D and QC in the first couple years that this line of TVs was produced, was certainly discovered and confirmed by Sony at least 12-18 months ago, even though they wouldn't admit to how severe and widespread it was at that time. When it was discovered, given the magnitude of the problem they would have had to correct it in order to continue developing and selling future lines of rear projection TVs, so it's not so hard to believe that whatever fix they made to the newer, similar Optical Blocks, could be retroactively applied to fix the problem with the older models. There is very good reason to believe the ultimate source of the problem is heat related, so if a small design change can improve the heat/cooling, that itself could potentially fix the vast majority of Optical Block failures.

It would be GREAT if someone out there could get their hands on an old Optical Block and one of the new ones that are being put into our repaired TVs, so a detailed physical comparison could be done. It would also be interesting to compare one of our old Optical Blocks with an Optical Block from Sony's current line of rear projection TVs, to see what obvious design changes they have made. If anyone out there has the means to obtain the aforementioned Optical Blocks and do at least a cursory physical comparison, it would be greatly appreciated by everyone on this board.

Thanks Eric for the info about the improvements...I am waiting to see if they will now repair my 70"...They did offer a 70" (refurbished) for trade + $$$$ many $$$$....I could not see paying $$$$ for a refurbished 70" since it has only been 2 years that I gave them $5500 for the one I got...If you think about it, you can get a pretty good TV for $2750 each year..I just want mine fixed...No games & no cost...Just Fixed...

Username: Live2well

Ok guys and gals, I have read all your post in this thead. Might I say very very informative.
I have the KF50WE610. I called Sony customer service and they told me that my unit was covered and to have a Sony technician come out to verify the issue.($99) Well he came out and verified and said it was the blue blob with the yellow haze in the center. He call his service center and they told him it wasnt covered. hmmm....I fired up the pc and went to sonys webpage and showed him the page with the 2003's listed and he said it wasnt the same issue. BIG BIG Problem. What he didnt know was that I am a technician myself(not for sony). I told him that it was the same part as the 2004 unit and he agreed. He then said he still couldnt fix it unless he had an "E" number from Sony. So i called Sony's CSR and asked for an "E" number by referencing that the tech told me to do it. They gave me a "E" number and I called the tech service and gave it to them. Does this mean I will get it fixed for free?

Username: Dawn_y

Probably not Brian Maybe your tech has more pull but it didn't work for mine even though we all know it is the same part causing both problems. Most of us with 2003's have been offered a deal on a new TV. But to get that we have had to write to the Executive Review Committee. I have the same tv as yours (see my post on Wed Aug 8)and took the deal offered. They were extremely nice to deal with, answering all my questions and giving me prices on all the tv I asked about. Good luck.

Brian, My experience with this is that the "E" number is what Sony calls an event number...I Believe this number is used to track your complaint. What you need to do is get an "A" number...The accommodation number is given by Sony to your TV repair service...That "A" number is Sony's way of paying for the Repairs or partial payment..Depending on what Sony will do for you and your TV...For me to get that far, I had to write to the Sony executive review commitee as stated many posts before...The address is in these posts...Good Luck...You will have to keep on them to get any results....Write the letters, it seams to be the only way as other posts have stated...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Just a reminder, for anyone owning a 2003 or later model that has the same defective Optical Block even if yours is not covered... If/when you have exhausted ALL other options and have still not received satisfaction, take them to small claims. There is MORE than ample documentation of the problem on this board and many, many examples of how Sony has resolved those cases. Not only do you have many examples of resolutions for your identical TV, but you will also easily be able to show how incredibly inconsistent Sony's handling of this documented defect has been.

Small claims is a piece of cake if you've never been. It's fast, you only pay the menial filing fee, and you represent yourself. In these types of cases where it's David v. Goliath, the judge/courts (often a lawyer serving as a Judge Pro Tem instead of a formal judge) tend to favor the "little guy". It's a very informal process by courtroom standards, just bring sufficient documentation such that a person with common sense would see the case the way you see it. Again, there is more than ample documentation just on this site alone.

I would reccommend getting a signed affidavit or two (the more the better since it shows you're prepared, but the judge won't want to spend a lot of time on it) from owners of your exact model TV, stating how Sony handled their cases which are identical to yours. The more documentaiton/evidence the better, just have it ORGANIZED when you walk in, so that if the judge does ask to see something in particular, you can retrieve it quickly. If you or the judge has to spend any length of time trying to find something forget about it.

Remember, exhaust all your other options first, I haven't yet seen anyone with a defective Optical Block, regardless of the year, have to resort to this course of action although a couple peeople were getting close. I believe though that you've pretty much got a slam dunk case if it does get this far, although nothing is ever certain. Keep in mind that Sony isn't going to want their name dragged through the mud publicly so in all likelihood they'll try to settle after being served if it gets that far, and if they don't settle, there's at least a 50/50 chance they won't even show up in court which would grant you a default judgement. In most cases that's where the hard work begins, trying to get the money out of the defendant, but since it's Sony that'll be the easy part fortunately.

For questions about how to file your case yourself, costs, procedures, etc. etc., I highly reccommend a website called NOLO.COM, it's your one stop shopping spot for all your legal needs. Good luck!!!

I finally received my new KDL40V2500 from Sony Exchange. (My KDFE42A10 needed repairs of $1200. It was 16 months old but only viewed 11 months. See previous postings.) It did not arrive though, without incident. I had arranged with SE for it to arrive later than normal delivery would have been, and the upshot was it got lost!! SE found it 500 miles from my home, and it finally arrived one week later than expected.

I want to let you all know an interesting fact about purchasing a new extended warranty. I asked SE about purchasing one and was given 866-766-9259 to call, which is Sony Extended Service Plans. I was quoted $400+ for a 3yr plan which would begin at date of purchase. At the end of 3yrs I would have the option of renewing for 2 yrs at a cost to be determined at renewal.

Thank goodness for this forum! In the past, someone had posted about purchasing an extended warranty through www.sonystyle.com , click on "Discover". For my value TV I purchased a 5 yr plan for $249! This plan offers the same coverage: in-home repair, parts and labor, no deductible. I did talk to a very nice lady at 877-865-7669, the number for SonyStyle.com, about the plan before purchasing. I could not find any reason to purchase the other plan at $400+.

Update on my problem with the pink/purple thumbprints.
I called Sony Support and got an E number and then contacted my local Sony authorized repair shop and had them come out and do a survey/estimate. The techs stated that they have replaced quite a few light engines in these sets but had never seen my particular problem before. Nevertheless, they seemed reasonably sure that a light engine replacement was in order. So I prepared myself for the next step after receiving an estimate of the repair cost, which would be sending letters to Sony's ERC and the CEO.

Yesterday, the repair tech called me back and informed me that he had been talking to Sony engineers and they had concluded that the problem with my set was the result of dust on the LCD panels. In fact he said he had received a service bulletin from Sony on dust problems with the set and that he could repair the problem for somewhere in the neighborhood of $300.

This leaves me in a quandary. Should I pay this amount to be without a set for a few days while they blow compressed air in my set? Should I attempt to try the repair myself per the instructions posted earlier in this thread? Do I even want to repair something that is going to reoccur fairly often? What other options do I have?

Username: Sxf

Hello all. Because this board was so helpful to me, I wanted to post my story. Hopefully, it helps somebody else.

I have a KDF-70XBR950 that I bought in June '04. Last month, I noticed a bluish-purplish blob in the middle of the screen. Per the Sony website, I called QualxServ who sent a guy out to diagnose the problem. He told me it was a bad optical block and that the repair would be about $1,300.

After I knew what the problem was, I did an internet search and found this sight. Armed with the information that this is a well-known problem, which Sony has agreed to fix in 2004 models, I called Sony customer service. I spoke to a rep who was clearly not a native English speaker. I explained the problem and the diagnosis of a bad optical block. She told me that Sony would pay to fix the problem. It's possible that she just cross-checked my model with optical block and saw my TV on the list for the road-mapping problem and just figured it was the same thing. In other words, she might have just been confused. But that's what she told me. She said I should go ahead and pay for the repair and that Sony would reimburse me. She said she was making a note in the file confirming our conversation.

A few days later, before I had the repair done, I got a voicemail from Sony customer service. I called back and spoke to a different rep and again explained everything. This time, the guy told me that Sony would not pay because my TV was not on the blue blob list. I told him that a Sony rep had already promised me that Sony would pay. He said he'd talk to a manager and call back.

A half hour later another rep called me. She said that, in light of what the first rep told me, Sony would pay to fix the problem as an "accommodation." She said she would call QualxServ and take care of it.

After waiting a week for the part, QualxServ came out and replaced the optical block. But the tech told me that Sony only paid for the part and I was responsible for the labor ($350). So I paid and then wrote Sony a letter explaining everything and asking for reimbursement of the labor charge. A few days later, Sony called and told me that they had contacted QualxServ and that the $350 charge on my credit card would be reversed.

I don't know if I just got lucky or if Sony would do this for anyone. While it is obvious from this board that people have had their problems with Sony, I personally have no complaints. They dealt with the problem and the process was relatively smooth.

I hope this helps.

Matthew, I also have a KDF-70XBR950 with the Optical block problem (see photo in above posts)
Sony is repairing mine this week...Does the new optical block look like it has been changed or re-engineered...or will we get the blob back in 2 more years...

Username: Sxf

Frank

The part looked exactly the same to me, but I doubt that any changes would be obvious to a layperson. The repair guy said that Sony corrected the problem but he didn't sound too convincing. We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed.

Thanks Matthew, That is what I am afraid of.....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
I have posted this before, but I have it in writing from the highest level of Sony Worldwide Support that the "blue blob" problem has been corrected in the new optical blocks that are being installed. We all hope that this is the case obviously, but if it isn't I'll be one of the first to know (with my usage the blue blob appears every 12 months and I just had it replaced a month ago) and with that email I have all the documentation I need to get a satisfactory resolution if the problem reoccurs. There won't be any wiggle room for Sony at that point and the only satisfactory resolution will be a substantial credit toward a new HDTV of my choice. My only point of contention is that we're forced to purchase them direct from Sony which is substantially more expensive instead of allowing us to shop around. I understand why they make us do that, but they should then give us credit based on what our Model TV cost on THEIR website at/around the time we purchased it, instead of penalizing us for finding a good bargain the first time around. I would have paid at least 25-30% more for my TV if I'd purchased it from Sony.

Thanks Eric, I did read your past post and saw that...It is just I do not have a silver bullet email to fall back on and this part only comes with a 90 warranty...After what I when though during the past month to get this problem solved, I no longer recommend Sony TV's to anyone...I paid 5500$ two years ago to be treated badly now..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
I completely understand, we all have our horror stories to share if we've owned one of these Sony rear projection TVs. If anyone has their Optical Block fail with the blue blob problem in the future, and they had it replaced after Sony recently issued the service bulletin, I will be happy to share that email with them. It doesn't make any difference who it was written to, it was somoene of the highest authority stating that the problem had been resolved. Since I was contacted privately I am keeping it in confidence for now, but if Sony is still replacing our Optical Blocks with defective ones I'll be more than happy to share it with anyone and everyone.

Like I said, I should be the first to know given my usage of this TV. If I don't see the problem by this time next year it's likely that they did in fact at least resolve the "blue blob" problem, though I can't speak to the roadmapping issue or any other problems with the Optical Block or other components. I've seen very few reports of any problems with these TVs outside of the blob and roadmap issue, so it's very likely that if they've fixed those problems we'll enjoy many good years from our TVs, as long as we fork out a couple hundred bucks for a new lamp every 1-2 years.

Fortunately for me, if they haven't resolved the problem I'll know it well before the Dec. 31 2008 deadline for warranty repair on this part, so no matter what my TV will at least get repaired and I can sell it in perfect working order. I would probably elect to just take the credit toward a new TV though, since it's not morally right to sell this TV to anyone knowing that it will likely not last them more than a couple years before they're forced to fork out $1200-$1500 in repairs. Of course that didn't stop Sony from selling them 10s of thousands of people over a 2-3 year span, and denying that there was a defective part until very recently.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us