Unable to lock 61.5

Bronze Member
Username: Bowshocker

Post Number: 21
I've been watching 61.5 w and later switched to 110
I just have one standard lnb and no diseq

I know the location of 61.5, so tried to put back the dish on previous location.

Prior to that, changed antenna setup to 61.5 with same old settings i used to watch.

when im almost near the location i get signal 78 quality jumps to 0 to 85. If i tweak little bit up and down the dish quality still jumps to 20 to 70
I tried moving left and right also little bit..quality goes to 0..

I never get the 61.5 locked (suppose to flash in top right of screen with viewsat ultra).

Any ideas why i am unable to lock.
Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Blierso

Post Number: 11
I just had the same problem, signal bar at 80 and quality bar jumping 0-90 but both in red. Never turned green, so I had to move my dish and it came back. I believe mine probably was due to a high tension lines right in the path of the signal. I hope this helps.

Gold Member
Username: Cartier1

Post Number: 1117
whe looking for signal change tp to to something like 12472 cuz the first 6 tp's has no signal.

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1524
Turn on your beep option on your Ultra

61.5 will be about 48 degrees towards south (counter clockwise)

If yo are on the east cost it will be slightly higher than 110 in elevation.

Make sure in antenna setup yo select ech-st 3 or 61.5 and as yo turn dish it should say in upper right corner what satellite it is.

As yo get best quality signal start scanning

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
let me try all options and will post you guys
weird thing i've marked in the wall the exact azimuth location and whenever i go near that signal strength stabilizes to 77-80% and quality flickers so fast 20-85%. If you tweak little bit up or down and see the quality meter still flickering (not stable). To try cartier1's suggestion i did autoscan with flickering and as it scanned tps' one by one i could see the quality stable at 75-76% as it scans but always returns back as failed. i tried changing tps' while in antenna setup still it flickers for all tps' , but when it autoscans or channel scans (each tp one by one itself) it puts quality 75-76% stable but says failed for everything. As King suggests yes i could see 61 little bit elevated than 110 as i try to point the sat.

Blierso: It was exactly 3 weekends back i was able to catch 61 at the same location when i pointed before. Im in a T junction so i have clearview and nothing has changed like no trees or buildings came up new. when you say high tension wires you meant , big countryside electricity wires coming from generators ? im in suburb and dont have that

Thanks to you all guys

Let me try changing tps' again or worst i need to take out dish to another location. funny part is there is no prob with other sat 110 which locks in perfect in the location i know, no matter any number of times

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Got into major problem.
while on 110 and all chanells going fine, i went to menu -> antenna setup and changed satellite to echo 3 ..still 110 was appearing at top right panel to display where im aligned at (even though i changed the sat in setup to 61.5)..this is ok ..to just see what frequencies are listed..the default was 12297 ..so i pressed right left arrows to browse the frequency whether 12472 was listed..
all of a sudden..the 110 in top right went away..signal 80% stayed same but...quality was flickering..0-70%..oh my..am i getting the the same prob what is faced in 61.5 alignment.

i switched off using remote came back..still 110 did not appear in top panel..with quality 0-80% flickering..(note that i did not make any change to dish alignment, i was just playing with antenna setup to move to another sat, prior to this ..i was just watching fine all channels in 110)..

Now totally powered off , removed the power line..left it 2-5 minutes..put back power on..swith back on using the rear switch ..gone..viewsat did not turn on..

I thought it is fried due to common issue of people complaing about v124 factory bin + 0914 file..

Waited 10-15 min..then switched back again..yes. viewsat came on back..went to antenna setup..to 110..immediatly quality was stable at 75% signal 80%..all channels came fine..

NOW..im so confused what is goin on here..
Why if im perfectly aligned with one satellite and watching the channels..all i did is ..went to antenna setup and changed the satellite..the original sat name still flashed on top panel..but all of a sudden gone..and quality started flickering 0-80% rapidly ..

Also this caused some lockup in power off on..and had to wait 10-15 minutes to power on back to put back the same old sattleite in antenna setup..and quality became stable..

Did something go wrong ?

Is this the same reason im getting the flickering 0-80% quality when i change the sat name online to echo 3 ?

Do we always have to power down and then power back before changing sat names ?

SORRY for too big message..I m simply frustrated that what is goin on.. I thought i fairly knew how to set satellite or switch satellite easily but these kind of issues are confusing me

Thanks ..Please detail guys..

Silver Member
Username: Timscarlet

Usa

Post Number: 252
on the ultra, i use the 119 factory with serial cable load, then use the 9-14 bin file with usb.
i had the same prob with signal going up and down, try the 119 factory, then the new bin file, see if this helps you like it did me.

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1526
View Sat are pain in the azz in general for satellite lock.

I'll give yo few tips:
- Make sure beep option turned on (it will be a challenge without)
- Reset to factory default
(read carefully)
Factory default does not reset flash bin
But will reset all channels and TPs
Will reset all antenna installations and user selections.

With factory default selected
New installation:
- Select correcect satellite (61.5)
- Select correct LNB type
- With beep option ON start moving dish 48 degrees counter clockwise away from 110 and raising elevation slightly (slightly higher than 110) YO WILL start to HEAR HIGH PITCH SOUND and selection of 61.5 displayed in upper right corner.

If finally able to lock 61.5
Press f1 (not f3) for regular chan Sat Scan.

(Read careful)
If this still does not lock 61.5
Yo have to get a good compass, Sat finder and acurate sat angle calculator.
- Yo have to completely ignore Q level
- Sat finder will beep at highest pitch despite no Q level on your Ultra.
Then press f1 for standard chan Sat scan
Channels will come on during scanning with good Q level.

I don't know why these Q signals are hidden from 61.5
However I guess (and I'm only guessing) this has something to do with DN being slick about it. They may have changed something to make it harder on FTA users or simply Viewsat is simply can't lock 61.5

If yo follow my procedures and only my procedures yo'll be up and runing in few minutes. My theory either is 61.5 maybe hidden to lock or viewsat can't lock during setup.

Come back and post your results
I will answer any other questions yo got.

Username: Nick_ba

Post Number: 3
is 61.5 available in west coast

thanks

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1532
61.5 for East Cost Viewers
148 for West Cost Viewers
Same broadcast programs

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 12511
http://ekb.dbstalk.com/61-5list.htm

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/148list.htm

DEFINITELY Not the same!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1124
do as tim said . factory setting reflash . just make sure to change ur tp to one that has high signal before you point and u will de ok . it happen sometimes.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
i tried factory default, then 119 factory bin and 070905 pgm.

61.5, standard lnb, 22khz off, no diseq, no legacy

scanning simply flickers 20-75

Do i need 070914 bin ? still

what is the diff b/w 090705 and 090714 bin

weird thing again...110 works perfect

i tighted the dish to make sure i move only by one tic mark. signal 80% stable..quality moves 28-29% stable..as i move by 1 tic up ..it increases to 30-35%..then 50-60%..then im able to fine tune left or right, again by 1 tick mark..and got 75% stable quality..finally 80% signal 75% quality..

I can repeat this any number of times.

Frustrating part is when i do this for 61.5 always i hit the same location..80% signal..if i move i tick mark left right up down..still quality flickers 0-20% then 20-40% then as i fine tune
0-75% then 30-70%

i leave this at this point and go to channel scan and go to each TP to see always 80% signal and 0% quality..scanning simply says failed for all TPS..

now i go to auto scan..when scan starts..i can see each TP being scanned 80% sig quality 65-70% stable..(without flicker) but all failed...

i did not do blind scan anyhow..should i try that ?

is the lnb type standard correct...i beleive so..as i use the same lnb for 110 ( i have just 1 lnb) ..?

other options im planning
1) change lnb and make sure wiring is tight
(is this required..i can get 110 with same setting now ?)

2) do blind scan

3) use 070914 pgm instead of 070905 pgm ?

4) i asked my friend..he said try the setup as universal lnb (even though i have standard) ?

5) another thing i noticed..there is a lamp post on the path..(this is not new lamp post, it was there before when i used to watch 61.5)..
my azimuth is 162..when i move towards left of lamp post signal 82% quality 0% (however sat finder beeps at this point but now high) if i move right of lamp post..signal 82% quality flickers 20-50% then at this point moving up or down slightly ..makes quality flicker fastly 20-75%..

if i assume lamp post is blocking then..how come im able to watch before (few weeks back) with 80% signal and 75% quality..

im just confused..

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1550
- Use BIN 070911
- Do factory default
- Select 61.5
- Select correct LNB type
- Start moving dish to exact direction
- If still no quality USE SAT FINDER to locate highest pitch sound
- Do not do blind scan
- Do Chan Sat scan F1

Sometimes there is no quality until yo press F1
That can happen
So just rely on Sat finder
You'll get the quality after scanning

Your only problem is pointing

Username: Thus

Post Number: 3
Bowshocker,

I've got it!! I was able to lock 61.5.

There is nothing wrong with LNB or wires or STB since we were fine with 110 or 119. Onlything was
that I alligned the dish correctly. I think the quality was flashing because It was seeing a satellite that is on 63.0W which is very close to 61.5W so if you move your dish pointing just little towards left or minus 1 to 2 degree from where it is keep flashing you will get stable quality signal and that is the 61.5!!
Just makesure that you set to factory default first so incase if you have changed some setup
it will get restored to factory setting then point to 61.5W to get the signal and then you can load any latest file and Auto Scan.

King Tapeman you are correct, The only problem was pointing.

After reading a lot I didnot find anybody having problem like this one, Only myself, Bow and SkyPatel reported so I thought it can not be a real problem and it was fine for 119 or 110 so
that made me believe you.

Thanks all for all the inputs.

Gold Member
Username: Donnie1973

Post Number: 1088
Told u that last night dude in ur thread...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Thanks you guys all. King you're right on the spot telling dont worry about quality, which is the key in this fix. Now really we cannot depend on the quality meter at all, even though it works for some sats, but not for all. The $10 sat finder does the good job. And Thus your key info of 63 w is correct. I have starchoice linear lnb which i tried before for 110..it always used to flicker when i go to 110..because it is linear..is 63w linear..that might be the reason the circular was flickering when i went near 63 w and totally misguided my in quality meter with flickers to think im at 61 but cannot lock. So..simply i moved left around 2-4 deg and then rapidly moved left and right to hear beep going and going down so narraowed the beep and still quality was 0. then moved to channel scan and tuned one by one..got signal 80% quality 86%..for some reason following TPs failed..12297 12501 12530 12588 12647 12559 12238 12282 12311 12341 12370 12399 12457 12486 12516 ..not sure why

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
To add to this..Since i locked in ..now i went to antenna setup and saw 12297 defaulted tp and no flashing echo3 at top right..so simply went to channel scan..deleted that junk tp..and saved and went back to antenna setup ..guess what..the 12326 tp was defaulted and echo 3 flashed with quality 76 stable..so the whole issue is..12297 as listed in lyngsat IS OUTDATED..does this mean we cannot rely on lyngsat which caused whole issue of assuming the wrong TP has some channels and infact deleting the TP , helped quality meter to function as it would ?

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1558
Yo are welcome
It was just a guess
But no joke I usually guess right
I never tried 61.5 or 63
But maybe yo can help me

If yo got Starchoice with linear LNB
Were yo able to get any channels off 63?
Cuz I'm guessing either echostar got some kind of trap or 63 causing these issues

Any input from anyone on 63 is welcome
King

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
I can try this weekend as i've climb roof for starchoice..as you correctly guessed..im almost sure circular was flickering the quality 0-75 just because it was aimed at 63 (instead of 61)..Reason: when i had the fta for very first day (when i dont know diff. b/w linear and circular) ..i simply aimed at 110 with linear..and it started flickering 0-75..so if linear flickers when pointing to a circular sat..when can circular flicker when pointing to linear sat ? just a thought..definetly it is 63 as my sat finder high pitched at that point (making me think as 61) and now moving to left slightly to the right 61 location..got another high pitch (the real 61 :-) ..and quality 0 (i would say quality meter is doing its job correctly just because we gave 12297 junk..it correctly said 0 quality and refused to lock..deleting that incremented to next TP..and allowed quality meter to function correctly)..of course without sat finder will be difficult..and lesson learnt hard..dont trust lyngsat updated TPs ..anyone who gives correct updated TPs..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1172
bow i dont know why you had all these problem with 61.5 is one of the easiest sat to get . if u avoid the first 6 tp's that has no signal.
61.5 use circular lnb.
and since u change from 110 to 61.5 why dont use mark them this way if u decided to change you go directly to the marks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Thanks Cartier..yes..just made two mistakes..first i left 12297 and that put quality as zero..and worst part 63 was near so just 2 deg difference it caught 63 and started flickering and made me beleive i locked 61 as quality flickered ..nevertheless..it locked wrong sat to flicker..which is very near to 61..why 12297 appears with latest bin..and why lyngsat causes all this grief..and how you guys hinted 12297 is dead..where we can get correct TPs (ie. live TPS :-)
thanks all for your help..this testing is getting interesting

Gold Member
Username: Crazy_greek

Post Number: 1203

If we can't trust Lyngsat with updated
TPs, who can we trust?
Dish Network Channel Chart will list
Channel Name
Channel Number
TP but, No Freq.

To see how far apart they are , check them out.
EchoStar 4 @ 77.oW
http://l*yngsat.com/echo4.html

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/77/list.htm

Who would you believe?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12649
FROM EKB

http://www.lyngsat.com/echo4.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 1207

This is not what Iam talking about.

EKB
List two (2) TPs 9 and 21 With (22) Channels.

Lyngsat
For the same Satellite list four (4) different
TPs 7, 13, 15, and 22 with (38) Channels.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12660
OK...since U just posted the same as what I previously posted...then what are U talking about?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1209

You say that Lyngsat is usually corrected within 1 to 2 days and EKB is corrected daily.
Then as I have stated above, why the big difference with the TPs and Channels
if they are both corrected within two(2) days?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12661
obviously 1 is wrong or not updated yet..and as stated by EKB, 77W is in the TESTING process, so it may vary quickly...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us