Problem with Sony 42" model TV Serial number = KF42WE610

Username: Beatleman

SACRAMENTO, CA USA

Post Number: 1
I wanted to post a question concerning my Sony 42" LCD TV that I had bought in December 2003.

I cannot turn my TV on because the lamp indicator is flashing red after another indicator first flashed green as it always does when I first turn the TV set on (Normally that indicator that flashes green will do so a few times and then the picture and sound come on).

This happened yesterday. I did call Sony today and they told me that I had to pay for this even though I had told them that it is a known problem with this model. They said that my warranty ran out. They gave me a few TV repair shops to call who will come over to my house and repair my TV.

This seems to be a VERY COMMON PROBLEM with this model. It appears that the bulb needs to be replaced (hopefully that is all). I do have the TV for almost four years so I guess that I
was "one of the lucky owners" who did not experience this within the first year or so.

I am just curious as to the life expectancy of the bulb (does 4 years sound like I was lucky) and if there may be other problems that are on the horizon that are going to occur with the TV that Sony already knows exists.

I have also read on other sites that there were many problems with this model with lower serial numbers than mine (mine is 9206556). I also remember when they delivered the TV. I plugged the TV in and nothing came on. I called Circuit City and they gave me a new TV and everything was working fine until yesterday. I wonder if that TV that did not work was one of the TVs with a lower serial number.

I hope that one of the experts who visits this website sees and responds to my inquiry. Is there anything that I can do if it turns out that the problem is more expensive than just replacing the bulb ($200 for the bulb and probably $100 for the service call) such as contact Sony and ask for a higher up manager and complain about my problem?

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1423
Did they tell yo the name of the bulb?

I would put pressure on Sony and tell them the common problem possibility of a faulty part maybe, negotiate free replacement of part and you pay for labor. Tell them yo can prove that this model got similar problems on many forums. Threat them to go to Better Business Bureau if no change of heart they may have access to more complaints.

I always say careful shipping is a key factor to the life of sensitive electronics. In your case you are a victim of Sony's poor management of electronic parts manufacturing, this is not new to Sony over all.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3551
I seriously doubt Sony is going to replace the bulb 4 years later. Bulbs in LCDs and DLPs burn out, it's just a fact of life. Most extended warranties don't even cover bulb replacement.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1812
­
Yes, and most factory warranties are 90 days on projection bulbs. Four years is a long time, but the key is really how many hours the lamp has been on. I would guess somewhere between 5000 and 8000 hrs is the average for these things.

Stanley, the bulb assembly (part number XL-2100U) is user replaceable behind the front drop down panel on the TV's front. You shouldn't have to pay a service tech to do that for you. See your owner's manual.
­

Username: Pham71

I got the same problem with my 42 sony too.

and the bulb solve everything it's is about 200 bucks

Username: Mike1650

Sunnyvale, CA United States

Post Number: 3
OK so I have this model and early on the lamp went out under warranty and was replaced by Best Buy. Now 3 years later same symptom, no picture, flashing green light. I figure I'll just get a lamp and replace myself but the in addition to no pic I have no control of the volume on the tv. The indicator moves but volume stays the same. Is this something new or just part of the lamp prob. also? I don't remember it being like that previously.

Username: Mike1650

Sunnyvale, CA United States

Post Number: 4
Update: I guess it's just like everything these days
reset, reset, and reset. As per instructions on another site mentioning this problem I unplugged it for a min. or so, plugged it back in, the fan came on, the lamp lit in 4 flashes, and volume control came back. I had scheduled BB to come out anyway so now I will just have them do an annual cleaning.

Username: Deaton61

Please help! I purchased a Sony LCD, model KDL 40S2000 less than 2 years ago. Turned the tv on this morning and heard a pop. The screen is now very dim at the top and gradually fades to normal towards the bottom, slightly flickering. I called Sony Support and they offered very little help. Any advice? I have been a lifelong Sony supporter but am very disheartened with the quality and service so far with this tv. I called several local tv repair shops and they advised repair would run anywhere from $500-1000. Hard to imagine less than 2 years later and I'd be paying this much for a repair. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us