Need Help Hooking Up Cable Drop Amp

Username: Braves2

Post Number: 1
I have Comcast digital cable tv, cable internet, and digital phone service. Also have 5 tv's, 2 computers, and of course telephone hooked up. Having problems with a weak signal and Comcast wants $80 to install a drop amp. Would rather do it myself and save $40-$50. Have cable coming from outside into a splitter with one cable going into the telephone modem and then coming together with the other cable into another splitter which splits the signal going to the cable outlets throughout the house. Do I hoop up the amp before the telephone modem or after? Afraid of sending too strong of a signal through the phone modem. Also, will it hurt the Linksys internet router to receive an amplified signal?

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 994
Always amp after the modem splitter. The amp has nothing to do with the Linksys router. Make sure the amp you purchase is 2 way compliant if you want to watch any on demand services.

Silver Member
Username: Skeeterhead

Post Number: 110
"cable coming from outside into a splitter with one cable going into the telephone modem and then coming together with the other cable into another splitter"Murray Broach

Cableguy could you elaborate on this configuration-can't exactly wrap my brain around its purpose as described.

Silver Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 995
Dennis~ Most cable companies require the modem line be split upstream from the other CATV splits. The cable should hit the house, immediately into a ground block. After the ground block the first split should be for phone or internet. One leg of the split to the phone/internet modem, the other leg goes downstream to any additional splitters to feed the tv's in the rest of the house. Any amplification should be after the first split, not before it. Does that help?

Username: Braves2

Post Number: 2
Just a little follow up. The wires in the attic look like a snakes nest. What I have is one wire coming in the house from the box into a tap (which goes to the phone modem) and then going out to a 1 in/3 out splitter. 2 wires come out of this splitter and run off to different rooms and the 3rd wire goes into a 1 in/5 out splitter with the outs going to different rooms. Where would I put the amp? After the tap but before the first splitter? Or after the first splitter but before the second splitter? I'm guessing you will still say after the first splitter?

Silver Member

Somewhere on... U.S.

Post Number: 998
You guessed correctly
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us