Only getting Horiz - no Verts

Bronze Member
Username: Enough_said

Post Number: 11
I was switching a friend from Bev to Dn last night and when I went to do a scan only the Horizontals are showing picture quality and none of the verticals. Anyone know what would cause this and how I can rectify this problem? All my receivers 2500, 2700, 2800 VSU have never had such a problem. This is a clone receiver called a Qsat. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1306
What can cause polarity problem?

- Mismatch DISEqC inputs to antenna setup
- Short or faulty DISEqC
- Incorrect antenna setup with multi receivers
- Out of alignment dish

What I would do is try one receive/one Sat at a time, make sure receiver is off at any time changing hardware wires. Add second receiver to second DISEqC input. Assign correct LNB to designated satellite. Step and repeat.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I have tried that with my 2500 since it is probably the clones match. They are sitting one on top of the other using my set-up. Still no verticals. I even updated his bin to the 296T and still the same. My 2500 picks up them all.

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1307
Let me understand yo correctly
Are yo saying your 2500 picks up fine but your friend doesn't?
Yo are not giving me all information
One simple thing yo didn't clear
Did yo disconnect your friend's receiver and put your's in on same hook up?

Let me explain how polarity switching works
- Vertical polarity requires about 13/14 volts
- Horizontal polarity requires 17/18 volts
All DC coming from coaxial cable that is connected to receiver Sat/input

As yo switch channel yo change voltage applied to LNB coming from coax.
It can also be Faulty LNB

Can be hardware setup or software settings
If it is your voltage relay switcher then yo must of toasted your receiver (nightmare to repair)

But I'm hoping it is something simple

List every hardware yo got and in a simple way list all procedure yo've done to start process of elimination.

Silver Member
Username: Hardrockstriker

Post Number: 973
Another possiblity:

Receivers have a transistor that puts out 13V or 18V for horizontal and vertical. If the transistor fails you could be locked on to one of the two voltages (18V in your case). If you have a voltmeter you can measure the voltages being put out be the receiver. You should measure by trying a channel that you know is on horizontal and then one that is on vertical and making sure that the voltages are proper.

Silver Member
Username: Flatulant_kitty

Post Number: 334
Same is happening to others.2 friends(2700s)getting no vertical.Brought to my place and still no vertical.All settings are correct.Then mysteriously lost ALL signal V and H.Fortunately hes a electronics guy and traced it to several bad resistors and a transistor on the I/F input circuit.This has happened to 2 units in the last month running the 208 bin and both had the same burned out circuits.

His digiwave works perfect at his location so its defiantly a problem with the 2700s and not a hardware or settings issue.

Bronze Member
Username: Vyizder_zomenimor

Post Number: 17
enough said - find someone electronically inclined to replace the LM317 regulator on the receiver pcb.

Silver Member
Username: Hardrockstriker

Post Number: 980
I don't think it's a matter of voltage regulation but rather switching between two voltages (usually done by transistor, TIP??).

If you can't do it yourself, and seeing that you have a clone, you might be better off buying another cheap receiver for the price you would have to pay to get the receiver fixed.

Silver Member
Username: Flatulant_kitty

Post Number: 336
For sure.The parts that fry are so small i could barely see them let alone solder them.He did,but hes done it for a long time.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I will see if I can find someone to replace the LM317 regulator and I will do a voltage check. I have 5 different receivers so purchasing a new one is his worry not mine. The hook-up is identical from receiver to receiver in all my set-up, so I had a feeling something was burnt just didn't know where to look. Thank you for all your help. Hopefully this will be successful.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us