Help! 1997 RCA ProScan - 57 Inch - I can't believe it's Dead!!!

Unregistered guest
Can anyone help?

My 1997, 57 inch RCA ProScan won't power up anymore. When I try to turn it on, I hear the sound of power cycling through the TV, but then it stops. Saturday night I was watching it and everything was fine. Sunday morning I went to turn it on and nothing. I've tried everything. I've tested the outlet, tried a different outlet, left the TV unplugged for 24 hours and tried again...I've tried everything, but it still won't turn on.

Any ideas? I'd like to try and have it repaired or repair it myself if possible since I now have two little ruggrats and there is no way the misses would let me buy anything decent to replace it!!!

Thanks for reading my post!

Bronze Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 80
if its not under warranty, call your local
tv repair, they should have a ballpark idea
of whats wrong and how much to fix. I would
guess less than 200. if you need help moving
it do you have a home depot, usually there
are day laborors there. good luck

Jim Lee
Unregistered guest
Hi,

As a certified TV technician, I would HIGHLY advise against repairing it yourself, for 2 reasons: (1) You've probably heard that old saw about dangerous voltage levels existing inside your TV. I'm here to tell you that that is true; your particular model may have up to 33,000 volts at the anode (and tubes store electricity even when the set is unplugged). (2) Television circuitry is more complicated than most people think. If you don't have the schematic diagram for your TV, a good knowledge of electronics (not a working knowledge, but a GOOD one), and access to the correct tools and instruments, then you are actually going to cause more damage than you started with.

I suggest getting a good estimate first; if the estimate is equal to or greater than half of what you paid for the TV then you are better off buying new.

And if you do have a repair shop work on it, ASK TO SEE THE OLD PARTS!!!! This will be proof that you are not going to get ripped off. If they don't do this as standard operating procedure, then find another shop, or else they may be putting one over on you.

Just my 2 cents' worth.

Bronze Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 84
good advice, but it aint the volts that will kill
ya, its the amps.

Username: Jdsaenz1

Post Number: 4
And if all else fails (and the misses is tight with the cash flow - I know how it is), it's time to hook it up with 'rent-to-own'!!!

Anonymous

GDaddy...did you find a solution to your problem?. I have the same problem with my ProScan 52inch.Help!!!

ploogenhausen
Unregistered guest
Gentlemen,
Let's respect the cautionary voltage warning... the HV flyback xfmr can source enough amps to kill you... (remember 500mA is death under the right conditions). Now, an answer to the problem at hand:
The most likely (and most documented) answer is your HV splitter. A quick test is to remove the anode from your hv flyback (not your hv splitter... arcs like Maxwell said it would). Remeber to unplug your TV and give it a day or two to discharge the caps (this is not a guarantee that they are discharged since charge can be present up to a year without resistively bleeding them off (soft crowbaring) This hv flyback transformer is located in your rca just inside the ctc171 or ctc170 wooden crate. You can easily get to it by removing the back panel. It looks like an oil filter with screws (if that helps) with a big red wire attached to it (that's the HV anode). Pull the red wire out, unlocking the holding tab with a straight blade screw driver. Duct tape it and keep it away from anything conducting (preferrably isolate it with a medium such as a toilet paper cardboard insert). Now, there should be a rubber grommet slipped over the wire (if it's not visible, reinsert the wire a little ways to try and retrieve it... you need the grommet on the wire when you put it back. With all this said, plug in your tv and push the power button. if power return and sound is heard from the speakers, then you need to replace your HV splitter. Run a search on hv splitter RCA 213986. This is for the ps60682, but another one I found is the RCA 205064. I am an EE for the NTS in Nevada so trust me on the HV cautionary statements... they're their for a reason.

ploogenhausen
Unregistered guest
Gentlemen,
Let's respect the cautionary voltage warning... the HV flyback xfmr can source enough amps to kill you... (remember 500mA is death under the right conditions). Now, an answer to the problem at hand:
The most likely (and most documented) answer is your HV splitter. A quick test is to remove the anode from your hv flyback (not your hv splitter... arcs like Maxwell said it would). Remeber to unplug your TV and give it a day or two to discharge the caps (this is not a guarantee that they are discharged since charge can be present up to a year without resistively bleeding them off (soft crowbaring) This hv flyback transformer is located in your rca just inside the ctc171 or ctc170 wooden crate. You can easily get to it by removing the back panel. It looks like an oil filter with screws (if that helps) with a big red wire attached to it (that's the HV anode). Pull the red wire out, unlocking the holding tab with a straight blade screw driver. Duct tape it and keep it away from anything conducting (preferrably isolate it with a medium such as a toilet paper cardboard insert). Now, there should be a rubber grommet slipped over the wire (if it's not visible, reinsert the wire a little ways to try and retrieve it... you need the grommet on the wire when you put it back. With all this said, plug in your tv and push the power button. if power return and sound is heard from the speakers, then you need to replace your HV splitter. Run a search on hv splitter RCA 213986. This is for the ps60682, but another one I found is the RCA 205064. I am an EE for the NTS in Nevada so trust me on the HV cautionary statements... they're their for a reason.

Username: Ricklongisland

Post Number: 1
i have the same problem as a few of the us here. when my rca 54" home theater is plugged in all i get is a constant beeping noise until i unplug the set. the set is totally dead. could this be the same problem as the other postings on the hv splitter?? if so where is the splitter located??i just spent a good amount of money to have the convergence board replaced and refuse to put more money to have the set repaired unless i can change the part myself the model # is ptk195db..help!!

Unregistered guest
FYI, its not only the 52, my 35 died last nite, well this morning at least, it wont even hum. The tv guy just hauled it away, cost $100. for him to look at it, and he said around $250 to fix the power supply problem, which he thought was the problem. We asked about just trashin it and getting a new one since it was 10 yrs old. He said the proscan was worth fixin (of course, he get paid then. lol) but he did say since I was getting a good pic before it died, it was a good brand to keep and would give me many more years of tv pleasure....I sent my microwave with him also. It comes on when you open the door. Big problem there. lol So no TV, no cookin for a week, I need to go on vacation.

proscan
Unregistered guest
anyone know were i can get the OEM front screen to my Proscan 60 inch PS60682 rear projection????

please help....

can i make one???
email: soundinmotion2005@yahoo.com

Username: Satelliteman

Garner, NC USA

I have a 1997 Proscan PS56670 57' When the tv is left on for a long time (8 hours+)the screen goes black. I still have sound and after I pull the plug for 5 to 10 min's I can get the picture back. This is happening more often now and I know its just a small amount of time before it goes out for good. Please Help

Unregistered guest
I have PS 52690, it was dead one day. I read the posts above, and changed the splitter. It works right now, but the three colors on the screen couldn't merge together. I try to follow the instructions to adjust the front (there are more than 30 screws), I had no success because the BLUE was separated from the other two colors. Can anyone give me an advice? Please help!!!

Unregistered guest
SOUNDS LIKE PROSCAN HAS SOME GLITCHES. MY PS36109 DIED OVERNITE TOO. MY DAD, CERT. ELEC. TECH., NEEDS SCHEMATIC. I'VE LOOKED ALL OVER NET W/NO LUCK. PLS. SOMEBODY HELP!
-LAURA

Katharyn
Unregistered guest
After seeing all your posts (I'm also looking for a wiring diagram, but at least my '95 36" is living) I thought you all might hate to see this... class action suit!!?? expired!!
http://www.complaints.com/september2002/complaintoftheday.september10.5.htm

Unregistered guest
I have the 35" Proscan PS35680 which utilizes the CTC170 chassis. It died 3 years ago after 10 years of service. The repair shop's tech thinks its 2 IC's (P/N
214710 and 200419) and a diode (P/N 214650) at a cost of $366. Then, if that doesn't work replace the splitter (P/N 215688) for an additional $261. I've searched for the splitter though and it seems it's no longer available. I have the schematics and a (way-cool) technical training manual for this tv but I understand this tv is nothing but trouble. I'm thinking I should scrap it. Too bad -- it's a beautiful (huge!) console TV. Thoughts anybody??!! Bill

Unregistered guest
Looking for free downloadable schematic for RCA Proscan 60" projection TV .. Model: PS60682 .. Chasis: PTK171acc

budlafourche
Unregistered guest
my hv spitter is arcing across from the hv splitter positive red to what appears to be the ground bar for the 5 small white wires. should I change the splitter

Unregistered guest
Hello
My 47" Rca Pro-scan Tv (model# 946160wk, has i believed died. It plays well for a while, but it shuts its self off, but the color goes black and white, right before it shuts off. and when i go to try and turn it back on it kinda clicks and then clicks off or it kinda sizzles.If i leave it unplugged for a while and plug it back in i can get a kinda jumbled picture but perfect sound. not sure exactly whats wrogn . but any help would be greatly appreciated.
-robert

Username: Txjohnslaughter

Severna Park, MD USA

In searching for an answer to my particular problem (yesterday's "dead set" Proscan 35") I came across a "msg thread" that I think answers my problem and will solve this one too. My problem: Set worked fine in AM. Wife turns set off to go to work. Comes home in PM and tries to turn set on... DEAD SCREEN... tube and all electronics inside not lit. So I check circuit breaker to check to make sure power is available on wall plug (... yes it was), ok.. well that was it. Since it was late (11:30 PM) I did not pursue problem. I figured it must be a "RESET" button, or a fuse in TV, so since I didnt have manual here at the office, I was searching the web for one to read and see if there was a reset or fuse I needed to reset or replace. That is when I learned that PROSCANs have a circuit board reset that requires the set be UNPLUGGED for a minute or so...then plugged back into the wall...
Attached is copy of msg thread I got from here and (Theordore Bieryla ... tedb@echoes.net ) provided: "Unplug the set from the wall.........wait at least one minute & plug it back in....Doing this sends a reset pulse back to the micropressor to get it operating properly again. If this is the case...enjoy. If nothing changes, you got other problems........good luck.....TED."

Hope that helps

tedb@echoes.net

Severna Park, MD USA

Post Number: 2
In searching for an answer to my particular problem (yesterday's "dead set" Proscan 35") I came across a "msg thread" that I think answers my problem and will solve this one too. My problem: Set worked fine in AM. Wife turns set off to go to work. Comes home in PM and tries to turn set on... DEAD SCREEN... tube and all electronics inside not lit. So I check circuit breaker to check to make sure power is available on wall plug (... yes it was), ok.. well that was it. Since it was late (11:30 PM) I did not pursue problem. I figured it must be a "RESET" button, or a fuse in TV, so since I didnt have manual here at the office, I was searching the web for one to read and see if there was a reset or fuse I needed to reset or replace. That is when I learned that PROSCANs have a circuit board reset that requires the set be UNPLUGGED for a minute or so...then plugged back into the wall...
Attached is copy of msg thread I got from here and (Theordore Bieryla ... tedb@echoes.net ) provided: "Unplug the set from the wall.........wait at least one minute & plug it back in....Doing this sends a reset pulse back to the micropressor to get it operating properly again. If this is the case...enjoy. If nothing changes, you got other problems........good luck.....TED."

Hope that helps

tedb@echoes.net

Severna Park, MD USA

Post Number: 3

Hope that helps

Unregistered guest
My Proscan model #PS60690 appears to have the splitter problem noted in this thread. Who can advise where to find a replacement?

Anonymous

My Proscan 98- 32" is dead but before it stopped working it started to change the channels by itself. I coudn't turn it off. I had to unplug it from the wall. When I pluged back It kept doing the same thing so I unpluged it again. This time when I pluged it I coudn't turn it on. Right now it's dead. I haven't been able to turn it on for 3 days. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Username: Proudokie

Las Vegas, Nv USA

Hello to all I have a 1994, 56 inch Pro Scan in a wooden cabinet. I too have had the problems that you have had. On one minute the next minute "DEAD". I have a repair man that fixed mine twice-- Yes I said twice. It was the voltage regulator on the set both times. This is a part that can only be bought thru RCA. There is no sub part for it. I would recomend that only a RCA tech work on this set. It is a BEAUTIFUL T.V. and I just love it. Will not EVER get rid of it. In my book there is no another T.V. out there that can hold a candle to this one---No DAMN WAY!!!Vicki

Username: Daddyo

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANYTHING GOOD TO SAY ABOUT THESE T.V.S? I was thinking of buying a 2001-2002 54" Proscan, with a year of warranty left on it. Should I buy it or look for something else?
What do you guys think?

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 933
Proscan=RCA=Generic Electric, cheap and problem prone.

Username: Daddyo

Post Number: 7
Ill take that as a no...

Username: Proudokie

Las Vegas, Nv USA

I LOVE my Pro Scan BUT--------If you do purchase one make DAMN sure that you get the extended, extended, lifetime if they have it-----WARRANTY! I had a 5 year WARRANTY and when it came around time for me to do it again, I was never notified. Well this is not something that you set around and think about. Well I don't and didn't. When the set went out I called for a repair man and this is when I found out that my warranty was no longer valid. So I wanted to purchase it that day. Yes I knew that I could not use it towards this repair, However I wanted it just the same. They were to send me out the paper work for me to sign. Never got it. Called again, told me that it had been too long in between the times for the warranty...LOL....SO I CAN'T GET IT NOW!! SO if you have a WARRANTY make sure you watch the dates on it.........I DO NOW!!

paul001
Unregistered guest
James F. McCarthy! You saved my Proscan! You're suggestion of unplugging the TV for a little while is a great first step for anyone! My Proscan lost all audio (suddenly) and I couldn't find how to get it back. Unplugging it worked! Thanks a ton!

Unregistered guest
I have recently encountered several problems with my 50" Proscan. We moved to a new house a few weeks ago and that is when the major problems started, although we had been having some convergence problems (screen warping, colors mis-aligned)before the move. The new problems were:
Menu screen pops up for no reason
Audio screen pops up and mutes
Can not turn off with remote
Can not turn on with remote
Power button will not turn set on, had to use MENU/OK button on front of unit to power up.

Things I tried:
Replaced batteries in remote
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet, wait at least two minutes before plugging back in.
Go through the on-screen set up

All to no avail. But I did find the culprit. My cell phone goes into roaming and for some reason affects the tv controls if it is within 20 feet. I even make sure the antenna is pointed away from the tv now. I have had the cell phone turned off, and if it was too close, the tv starts to act up. I would turn the cell phone on and I would have a missed call. At our old location it was rare for the cell phone to go into roaming but we never had a problem with our Proscan before we got the phone.

Unregistered guest
Hey everyone, first time reader and poster... seems to be a good website for help... heres my problem... I have a 26" Emerson tv made in 1994. The other day it just quit... i've taken off the back of the tv and everything seems to be fine... the tube is still perfect... and i can't seem to find a break in the parellel at all... umm, help? anyone that knows what they're doing? give me a email if you could... chris@chrismartens.net
thank you.

Unregistered guest
wanted to give more info on my last posting. the proscan im having troubles with is a model #ps36109. ctc197ch chassis. I replaced the hvt and suplied resistor and cap. now the set comes on with good sound and high voltage, however it has no video or osd.also no service menu. all buttons work fine (vol, chan). anyone with the answer or educated guesses?

Anonymous

Go to message Katharyn nov 13. 2004, go to web site listed. there you find a method of ordering requested manuals. all you need is model number. i have not tried it my self but it looks like this may be a source of a repair manual. I do suggest that if you are not trained in electronics the manual will not be of much use..

Username: Dmc

I have PS52800, circa 2001. Picture started cutting out, color blurrs and now all picture is lost-Sound is fine, "unusable signal" error message. I have replaced HD cable box and reset Proscan. Any suggestions on my next move to troubleshoot?

Unregistered guest
I am experiencing a problem with the convergence of my RCA Proscan, PS 52650, Chasis PTK169 PKB. Can someone please assist me with the procedure in making adjustments to the convergence. The remote control adjustments are not able to do it.

Ebolavoodoo
Unregistered guest
HELP!!! I just bought a used 5 y/o PROSCAN PS36700. Everything works fine except that the picture is about 80-85% perfect quality. I especially notice it when the news channel shows text at bottom of screen or sports score at top. Commercials seem even worse..lol. When i play DVD, picture is about 90-95% perfect. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Unregistered guest
I work at ACE TV Las Vegas, NV and need schematic diagram for CTC 170 chassis. I need information on secondary regulator on signal board, and main power supply schematic to varify all voltages. The secondary regulator section has voltage on 2 of the 3 (ECG 152 type) transistors collectors, but no 5 volt out, etc.

Unregistered guest
My Proscan PS56670(lg1) Stoped last night It beeps when pluged in. What wrong with it?

Username: Mychen66

I have PS52690 just about 9.5 years old, beautiful TV. I was watching TV couple weeks ago, and I lost all of the image and sound all the sudden.
When I tried to turn it back on, the set will shut down with the power LED in the front flashing 3 times then stop. I do hear some clicking sound inside.

I followed the instructions by ploogenhausen to disconnect the red wire from the HV splitter. I have couple questions:
1. Is my problem caused by a bad HV splitter?
2. How do I isolate the red wire from the other things in the TV? I know the red wire will carry very high voltage, so what is the save way to isolate it? How far do I need to make it seperate from other parts?
3. If I don't hear any sound, what should I do next?

Yewzer B Lewzer
Unregistered guest
Ebolavoodoo,
Your TV needs to have the convergence set. Some TV's have an electronic "rough" convergence set-up within the menus accessable by the remote control, but most likely the mechanical convergence needs to be set by removing the front panel and setting the 40-some-odd adjustments in an excruciating (but do-able) pattern. My RCA has the adjustment pattern on a sticker on the convergence board. If you are not careful and follow the directions to a tee, the picture will come out worse. Oh, you need to be able to get an RGB grid on the screen also. Some TV's also have this as a built in function.

Have fun

Username: Mxfxdlg

Whittier, California U.S.A.

I know I am a bit late with my ProScan drama but I thought that I should confirm my problem as being of the same nature and, hopefully, the same remedy which, by the way, sounds so unbelievably possible to do (replacing the HV splitter). My 57" PS60682 had been losing its full picture for about 5 months at a snails pace. The edges were gradually creeping in and cropping the picture. I eventually had a repairman check it out under warranty and he suggested replacing a component which I had him write down(can't find the note) since he suggested that I hire an outside repair service that would be much cheaper because at this point in my warranty, this part was not covered. Yeah, thats exactly what I said. But thats another thread for a later time. So, in my usual style, procrastination has brought me to the point at which, two years later, the set is just futzing out and doing all of the things that have been mentined here such as no picture, switching channels randomly, the power button having no affect and most of the other fun stuff that everybody else has dealt with. I think the one symptom that sets me apart from everybody else is the shrinking picture dilemma. To clarify, the picture didn't "shrink" within the edges of the screen so much as it "zoomed in" with no way of zooming out. Did anyone else experience this symptom at the beginning or before their blackout?

Unregistered guest
Proscan PS52650 -- Dead
Problem started when set turned on, heard a crackle.... then TV Shut down.
Since it was the first problem I had in the 8-years I owned the set I had it serviced.. COST $$538.31 in Jan 2005
Problem was HV Splitter, HV Cap and (2) Reg CAP.
Sept 2005 TV DEAD AGAIN !!!! Same Problem.
From the sound of all these postings it seems like Proscan has a real Problem with there HV Components. Does anybody know it there were any recalls on these sets. It a great picture but not going to spend any more big $$$.

LETS HEAR A RESPONSE FROM RCA PROSCAN ON THIS

Newsome
Unregistered guest
Same problem here...I have a proscan 51" projection... picture got distorted, then when tv was turned back on screen is blank and no sound at all... Remote and power button click, but nothing else happens...Where can I get the parts/splitter/hv caps, etc for the CTC195C

KenO
Unregistered guest
My 36700 is dead, suddenly. Can't get it power up; have tried the methods suggested above. Big time bummer! The irony is, of all my TVs, it's the one I watch the least. :-(

Username: Rbtinytaz

Reno, Nevada U.S.A.

My boyfriend just bought a PS52650 tv. Great picture but the remote won't work with it. Then we programmed one of our remotes and it would work sometimes and sometimes not. Now the remote doesn't work at all. None of them. But they will work on my other tv. Does anybody know why the remote just quit working like this. I know nothing about this tv. I'm in Nevada. Thank you

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Rita, you might try removing the batteries for a few minutes from the remote to reset the codes. Sounds like it's programmed to another manufacturers codes.

Unregistered guest
Geesh!!! I hate to say this, but I am kinda glad to hear I am not the only one having problems with my ProScan TV. This thing is really starting to get under my skin!!! I have a ProScan PS60682 and up until a couple of weeks ago it had worked great for me. It began acting "possessed". I could be watching a show and it would turn itself off and back on again. This morning it done the same thing but never turned back on again. At first, I thought it might be the power cord because when I removed it and replaced it back, the TV came on. Within a minute, the TV shut off again. I removed the back panel and each time I would replace the power cord, the set would come on again and the fan and other internal parts were trying to function but would shut down completely eventually. I tried pulling the red cord from the HV Anode but I still had the same problem. I am at a loss. Any ideas?

fordboy0720
Unregistered guest
i have a thread running elsewhere also, but no responses yet. i have the rca home theater P52820BL that is doing what gdaddy said. i cant figure out how to get the cable out of the flyback transformer, and it doesnt look like what has been described. mine has 2 wires, one going to the focus board and one going to the hv splitter. i dont want to tear up the board by pulling on it too much. i am not completely sure that anything is "bad", because i was told it wasnt working when i got it, plugged it in and it worked fine, now it doesnt work again. i am wondering about a loose wire between the flyback and the splitter. any guidance will be much appreciated.

jamie

fordboy0720, you can get instruction from https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/112424.html
It contains detail instructions and pictures of how to replace part 205064.

Post Number: 3
I have PS52690, replaced part 205064 4 months ago, it fixed the problem.
But my TV starts to give me problem again couple weeks ago. Almost the identical problem. TV turns itself off after couple hours of watching, and I won't be able to turn it on right way. I have to wait for couple hours before I can turn it on.

Can this be the part 205064 went back again after 3 months? Or this is some other problem? Please help.

Unregistered guest
Thanks for the input. I was just trying to fix my ps52690. It tries to turn on to no avail. The power light on the front turns on for 3 attempts. I had this fixed 4 years ago for $400. I was trying to avoid this expense, but, my life isn't worth the hassle.

Unregistered guest
I am looking for parts for a RCA proscan ps60682 60 inch rear projection T.V.. The parts are ( rca#214076-capacitor, and rca#210646-IC.)I would be interested in purchasing a full chassie (working or not).

Unregistered guest
Hello...I have a 1993 Proscan PS35682 with the ctc170 chassis. The TV has worked great with no issues until Oct 2005. One day it just wouldn't turn on. Funny thing is that when you hit the "+" button on the front panel the power light turns green, but goes out when de-pressed. We had a tech come and look at the set, he mentioned that there is something about the audio that is faulty. He disconnected 2 connectors to by pass the audio and it worked fine for about 4 days and then it stopped working again. Every 10 days or so; just a guess, you can plug the set in and it will work. You can shut if off and on, just to make sure it's still working. Then it just stops again. I haven't had the chance to get the tech back out. Has anyone heard anything similar to this?

It's a great TV with a great picture...I'd love to keep it!!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to share.

-Tony

421Driver
Unregistered guest
For those of you with the HV splitter problem, go to http://www.matelectronics.com and order p/n 213986 for about $37 and replace it yourself. Be careful to allow enough time for the transformer to discharge. I'v replaced mine 3 times in 10 years but at that price it's a great deal

Username: Proscan24

I am having the same problem as chenxiaoning from Nov 2, 2004. I changed the HV Splitter on my Proscan 60" and now it comes on, however the green video is far off from the red and blue. The red and blue are very close and I believe can be adjusted but I cannot seem to adjust the green enough to get close. Can anyone help with suggestions please? Thanks.
Clif

Username: Proscan24

Can anyone direct me on where I can get a techincal manual for the Proscan 60690 projection TV? Also, is there a special tool to make the ajustment to the 40 or so screws behind the front panel on this set? I have tried a small screwdriver but does not seem to do the trick.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us