Waiting for HD receiver problems Help!

Username: Jachinton

Dover, FL USA

Post Number: 1
We just got a Samsung 46" LCD TV (T4661F) We have a reg DirecTV reciever now. Im waiting on a new DirectTV HD reciever and dish. (1+ week) The problem is that the picture is just horrible now (pixulated, soft, etc). My Husband is concerned that this is indicitive of how reg shows will be WITH the HD receiver. Is this true? Does the HD Receiver improve reg shows too?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1718
­
This question comes up often. There are many factors in play here, but to me the chief cause is screen size. People jump up to that big and sexy new panel with high expectations only to find that new thoroughbred ready willing and able to faithfully reproduce a crappy picture that didn't look so bad on the old 4:3 SD tube TV. You'll be relieved when you see a high quality HD picture on your new display, but I think you'll not want to watch too much SDTV on it with the exception of progressive scan DVD video. Here's an article to read. He gets a little technical but stick with it:

"TV size is a big factor as to whether you notice bad picture quality. The really bad SD pictures seem to be reported primarily in screen sizes larger than 40". Also the viewing distance will affect how noticeable the artifacts are, so it becomes a combination of screen size and viewing distance. 40" and smaller screen sizes seem to be less objectionable with 34" and smaller barely noticeable at normal living room viewing distances."

http://www.highdefinitionblog.com/?page_id=5
­

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1247
Simple
Your receiver needs settings
since you are switching between SD and HD receiver must handle both

If default is 480p and broacast is in 480i picture will just look horrible, this is where most bad pictures look that bad.

Solution
Call your satellite provider to do a wizard setup that switches both standards SD and HD, It is a bit complicated to do on your own.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1723
­
"Solution
Call your satellite provider to do a wizard setup that switches both standards SD and HD, It is a bit complicated to do on your own."

Let us know how that works out for you.

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1248
I helped many people fixing this issue on their TVs
When you get your HD receiver
-Receiver need to be set to 480i as you watch SD
-Receiver need to be set to 1080i to watch HD
-But to avoid fliping setings back and forth, there is a setting that allows both settings as receiver identifies signal (480i, 480p, 720p or 1080i etc)
-It also stretches 4:3 screen to fill up 16:9 without maual adjustments.

TV HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS TYPE OF SETTING

It is all in the receiver
WRONG SETTINGS TO RECEIVER can look offal and will DRIVE YOU NUTS
I assue you
I tell you what, if I'm wrong I will retire

The problem she is having, she is got an SD receiver defaulted on 480p, broadcasted on 480i to fix this problem change settings to 480i, let the satellite provider point to you what setting you need.
when you finally get your HD then do the wizard settings

Call satellite provider they'll know if it is a dvr or just a receiver depending on its model etc.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1724
­
"The problem she is having, she is got an SD receiver defaulted on 480p"

Hey, no wonder they got a new TV. The video must have been bad on that old analog TV that couldn't handle 480p.

Here's another quote from the blog I cited above:

"Directv has both SD only and HD receivers. My experience is the picture quality of their SD receivers is pretty bad when viewed on big screen HDTVs. Most people report picture quality on SD Directv receivers to be below that of a good VCR. On HD receivers the picture quality is generally much better, with some channels comparing to the picture quality of a DVD. It seems to be somewhat brand dependant though."

I think you should wait to see what the new receiver brings to the table. With all things being equal, no SD signal will ever match HD---especially when the TV is scaling a marginal 480 image up to 1080. Then people tend to use the "wide" mode to stretch that 4:3 image out to 16:9, making things even worse.
­

Silver Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 121
"J Hinton" - I believe your HD set includes an over-the-air ATSC digital tuner, so go to this site www.antennaweb.org and put in your address and zip, when the results come back, click on the button at the top of the list for "digital TV only" and see what you get. If you are within 15 miles or so from a broadcaster you can try out a $5 indoor TV antenna and try over-the-air digital network HD (usually on in the evenings after 8:00pm). This will show you what your set is capable of until the HD satellite box arrives.

Username: Jachinton

Dover, FL USA

Post Number: 2
Thank you guys! This was very helpful!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us