Hi! Need someones wisdom on my current setup

Username: Voodoo_papa

Post Number: 1
First of all, I searched around a bit for a healthy forum to ask such newbie questions and this one seems to be the place for those such discussions.

I've begun to put together a beginners home theater system. This all started when my girlfriend decided to buy us an Xbox 360. Its nothing extravagant at all, I just happened to be patient and find some decent mid-range items on sale. I just finished it this weekend by adding the speakers.

So my system is the following:
Sylvania 6842THG -42inch plasma up to 1080i
Denon AVR-687 7.1 reciever with component upconvert up to 1080i
Polk Audio RM6550 5.1 speakers
Pioneer DV-C302D 5disc changer (about 7 years old, non-progressive I believe. I'll get to that in a minute)

Now, one of the main reasons I bought the Denon reciever is for its upconvert capabilities through component (it has no HDMI in or out). I think I may have had the wrong impression on what upconverting actually does.

So, I have everything hooked up and my DVD player input to the Denon on component 1 and output from its component out to my TV. However, still when I check the current screen mode says [i]480i[i]

The reciever has no HDMI and it does in fact claim to upconvert to 1080i from component, s-video and video inputs through its component out (at least thats how I read it). Is it possible that it will only upconvert when I go from DVD player to the Denon using the s-video or standard video? Is this a complete limitation of my old DVD player (which is what im thinking is going on)? Or, am I misunderstanding this completely and my TV resolution is displaying the proper resolution of 480i but its still being converted to fit my televisions screen format?

I guess all Ive read on upconverting is that it can convert displays to 1080i or 1080p (depending on the device) and I expected to see 1080i as my current display setting like I do when im watching my normal cable HD channels?

would one of you care to clear this up a bit for me and enlighten me?

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3477
You're reading wrong. It's not upconversion, it's just conversion. It will convert composite or s-video to component. It won't upconvert. If it did, it would have HDMI.

Username: Voodoo_papa

Post Number: 2
well, for what its worth I just realized my xbox gives me 480p while my dvd player just gives 480i.

does this tell me my dvd is non-progressive?

oh, and thank you for the answer david

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3479
Most DVD players made within the past few years are progressive. You have to turn progressive on. The default is always interlaced.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us