DVD-S35 Fix

Username: Bbobbman

Post Number: 1
I see there has been a lot of talk about this model having problems after a varying degree of time. I believe I have found the answer with regard to the HO2 / HO5 error messages occurring.

This problem is the one in which it seems the motor will not turn the disk at initial startup and when a disk is loaded. It appears to be a motor problem but it isn't and is I think due to a misalignment of the large front white plastic cog.

I had my unit only about a year before this problem started to occur. I was determined not just to throw the unit out prematurely and decided to investigate cautiously. I removed the DVD drive section from the unit and had a good look at the way the mechanism worked. The fix I found was simply to realign the main white cog with the rest of the cogs in the unit, back into the correct position.

1/ Remove the top plastic assembly (easier than it looks) that holds the drive tray in place (slightly move the lock tab plastics on either side to release).

2/ Remove the drive tray to expose the whole laser assembly and motor platform.

3/ Remove the White cog (to be adjusted) at the front of the drive assembly (use a small screwdriver gently to release the center locking tabs on either side of the shaft.

4/ Move the tray assembly bask and forward by rotating one of the smaller cogs until you get an idea of how the whole assembly works - use common sense. Clean the motor unit and surrounding assembly items with a suitable mechanism cleaning spray.

5/ Rotate the smaller cog With the assembly moved towards the correct disk loaded position. Replace
the removed large white cog and line up the flat locking block on the disk tray (underneath) with
the blank (missing) cog position (holes line up in cog and base assembly), reassemble the top plastic
tray holder and upper rotational center guide plastic bearing.

6/ Reassemble the DVD Drive assembly with the electronics, power up and hey presto, the unit is now functional. I believe that this problem occurred because of perhaps manually pushing in the front DVD drive tray rather than electrically loading a DVD. The main drive tray cog appears to have gotten misaligned and then causes the unit to click (make noises) and have difficulty spinning the disk up to speed, causing the H02 and HO5 error messages.

7/ This worked for me and I now have a fully functional and reliable unit.

Patrick McHale
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us