No signal when it rains.

Bronze Member
Username: L1l1l1

Post Number: 14
When it rains, the signal goes away for about 10 to 15 minutes.

Could it be that the switch gets flooded with water, even though I have it covered with a bag?

Also is it a good idea to buy another switch and keep it around for the future? Which type of switch do I have, currently I have the cheap 4 in 1 for viewsat extreme.

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Hawaiian_time

Kanaka freak...

Post Number: 1190
It is a good idea to have spare switches on hand. Usually when it rains, it interferes with the signal quality from the sat to your dish. If the switch is protected, it shouldn't be the problem.

Silver Member
Username: Amex

Post Number: 243
"Usually when it rains, it interferes with the signal quality from the sat to your dish."

to minimize rain fade, tweak your dish for maximum signal strength, uprade to a larger dish or enjoy sitting it out....

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 8826
Recently switched from DN to DTV. I lost picture when the wind blew. Seriously, I lost picture about 3 times a week. Snow, wind, rain, whatever. It sucked.

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1244
Not everyone will agree with me however
I do have techniques if apply correctly you'll never ever lose a signal, not for even a minute.

- When I had DN I used to lose signal on every rainy day or night
- When I switched to DTV I would lose signal once a month
- When I wired dish myself using King's techniques, I never lost a signal even one time.

I tell you neither DN nor DTV got anything to do with loss of signal.

Would yo like to know what I did?

Silver Member
Username: Jowhar

Post Number: 105
Yes

Gold Member

Post Number: 8830
Yes please!Upload

Silver Member
Username: Cartier1

Post Number: 527
king stop teasing . i do loose my signal when it rains. my dishes are installed in my balcony that mean they are not exposed to the rain . but i loose the signal if the rain is heavy.

Gold Member
Username: Crazy_greek

Post Number: 1044

Come on King, tell them everyone is waiting.

BTW Jill try a drip loop in the wire from your LNB to your switch.

Silver Member
Username: Mrskullz1

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 721
comeon king!

Gold Member
Username: Satscanner

Beaversbush, Sportsmans P... Great White ...

Post Number: 2479
He subscribed to cable !

Use good quality cable with good tight waterproof connectors,keep switches indoor and close to a receiver ,and aim dish for best signal then tweek it somemore.And you can always use inline amps to give you a 10to15% increase in signal and quality.My signal very rarely ever goes out ,if it does it's only on a few channel at most,in the severest weather.

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1245
I switched to cable
ha ha ha

I'm serious
Physics is the reason why you would lose the signal
Known as light refraction.
Although the satellite signal is not a visible beam of light it is still holds its physics characteristics. Clouds can act like a prism, even various gases refracts too. Signal shifts by a few degrees enough to knock it out completely. Add the obstruction of trees, branches, leaves (obstacles may weaken the signal strength) clouds do not weaken the signal but shifts it. Clouds can never block all light 100%. it takes many several layers of clouds to actually block a big percentage of its strength.

Focal point if it is off by a 1/2 an inch it can also be a slight factor.
For not having a 100% focal strength.

So you got to compensate for all of these factors
If you wait to November I'll illustrate all my techniques to solve any problem you encounter.

For now:
SOLUTION
- I position my dish with a slight angle to the side to capture a better beam strength along with a forward tilt. It is exactly what a pro installer won't do. surpersingly it allows an extra beam of light strength good enough to hold a stronger intensity. No need for bigger dish.

But with the help of a cheap sat finder along with a Vu-Sat antenna setup my signal quality is usually at 95% or better.

- If you use a twin LNB. I cover one of the 2 LNBs with tape until I find first Sat, then I uncover other LNB and start slow skew for 2 sats.
The results are usually bulls eye.

Use King's wiring tips:
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=1080851#POST1080851

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=1064794#POST1064794
Use a cheap compass and King's clock
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=1077345#POST1077345

Sincerely,
King

Silver Member
Username: Cartier1

Post Number: 528
king what you are saying is 1 st grade class. everyone knows the idiots stuff you do . talk to me about something we dont know . keep the one we know for yourself.

Gold Member
Username: Satscanner

Beaversbush, Sportsmans P... Great White ...

Post Number: 2481
Cartier,your spellcheck is working!
Good for you, but if we need advice on how to kill our boxes,you'll be the first we ask .

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1246
It is hard to understand what I'm saying without illustrations
Most installers face the dish straight lock in high signal and think that is it
just wait to November and see if it is any helpful

Gold Member

Post Number: 8842
Wow, I never knew alignment was that critical. During a wind storm my dish "fell" in its' bracket, pointing down. Lost all signal. Got up there and lifted the dish and tightened the bolts again. Signal was ok but ever since then I'd lose picture with the slightest disturbance. I got frustrated. I guess I must have tightened it slightly out of ideal alignment? I suck lol.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us