Very strange TV/VCR problem

Username: Leskent

Hamilton, ON Canada

Post Number: 1
Hello all:

I have an RCA Colortrak TV and a couple different VCR's. The TV is pretty old, it's a large floor/cabinet model. I could find model numbers and such if necesary.
We've used a dvd player and vcr with this TV for a few years. Then our old vcr conked out (it was about 8 years old--served it's purpose I guess). We went without until my husband brought a used one home from work. We were so excited because lots of our movies are on video still---and I like using the vcr as the kids can't ruin the tapes like they do the dvd's!

This used vcr worked fine for about 3 days and then the picture went to snow while the audio was still there. Then both went. He took the vcr back to work and picked up another used one. The EXACT same thing happened. Meanwhile, he plugged the other vcr in to another TV at the shop and presto--it worked fine.
So then I get another used vcr off a girlfriend recently and bring it home---two days it works fine and then no picture--sameold, sameold. I'm REALLY frustrated. It must be the TV, but the dvd player works fine with it. And why would the vcr's work for a few days and then conk out?

My hubby is an electronic tech kind of guy (pro audio installer) but he doesn't have the time to figure this out. I'm saying this because if anyone has any highly technical suggestions, go ahead and give them and I can drag him to my computer.
Thanks!!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1709
­
Nice post Leslie and welcome to the forum. The only problem here is that you have not been specific with regard to how the VCR and DVD are hooked up to the TV.

If the VCR is being used on the TV's antenna input on either channel 3 or 4, then your problem could very well be the TV's tuner going down hill. The question is are you using the TV's tuner for watching live TV?

And how about the DVD player? Is it hooked into the TV's composite line input?
­

Hamilton, ON Canada

Post Number: 2
Thank you!

OK, I can tell you that we don't watch TV live---we cancelled cable a few years ago. Only movies.

The dvd player is hooked up to the line inputs and works great. My husband says that whether the vcr is hooked up to the composite line input or the RF input, we get the same results.
(Hope that makes sense!?!)

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1710
­
"My husband says that whether the vcr is hooked up to the composite line input or the RF input, we get the same results."

Not necessarily. I personally have an old Mitsubishi 26" that now works only on its line inputs. You cannot tune in any channel on it...you get only snow. This tuner died a slow death over a period of a few weeks. I use a VCR for its tuner through the TV's composite inputs.

I'll bet you will have no problem if you do the same. If you have only one line input set on the TV, you could connect the DVD player through the VCR's line inputs and play DVDs through the VCR.

So it would be DVD®VCR®TV.
­

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3473
In most cases you can't connect a DVD player through a VCR without copy protection problems. Use a video switcher instead.

Hamilton, ON Canada

Post Number: 3
Sorry, I should have worded that differently----My husband says that when we hook up the vcr to the composite line or RF, we get the same results---as in, we did it, and we got the same snowy pic with both hook ups.
Hubby wants to know if he should use a composite line amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3474
Are you playing the same tape in all of the VCRs? You may have a bad tape that's getting the heads dirty.

Hamilton, ON Canada

Post Number: 4
I don't *think* I have....but once the heads are dirty, they wouldn't work again when my husband plugs the vcr's into other tv's, would they?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3475
No, but one set of heads can get dirty and the other set can still work if it's a 4-head VCR. I've seen it happen many times. So an SP tape can work when an EP tape won't or vice versa.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1714
­
"In most cases you can't connect a DVD player through a VCR without copy protection problems. Use a video switcher instead."

Absolutely correct David. Since I don't copy DVDs I completely forgot about that virus that won't go away called Macrovision.

I think this old RCA TV is plagued by demons and should be given a decent burial.
­

Hamilton, ON Canada

Post Number: 5
Ahhhh, say it ain't so.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us