Signal Problem

Username: Trjimbo

Post Number: 1
I have two pansat 2500 receivers that are connected to 119, 110, and 61.5. Everything worked fine until about a month ago. The problem is one receiver will not pickup the last satellite on the switch. For example if 110 is at #1 and 119 is at #2 the 61.5 will not work on 3 or 4. I changed all of the wires going to the switch and I even bought new switches. Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

Gold Member
Username: Satscanner

Beaversbush, Sportsmans P... Great White ...

Post Number: 2397
Try connecting the echo 3 coax directly in your reciever and check for signal.Also check your dish aligment.[might have moved]and your diseqc settings.

Post Number: 2
If I connect it directly to the receiver it works fine. The dish is aligned correctly and the setting are also correct.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2402
Reset your antanae settings and check your coax ends for a hair wire shorting or bad connection on the coax ends.If thats all done and correct ,..you have a bad switch.That is common ,upgrade to a better switch type or make/brand.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2403
Also try a different coax wire from the reciever to the switch,maybe a bad wire or connection.

Post Number: 3
I checked all of the wires there doesnt seem to be any hairs shorting it out. When I connect the 61.5 to port 3 on one switch and port 4 on the other the one that is on 3 works perfectly but I dont get a signal for 61.5 on the other receiver on port 4. If I connect them both to port 3 then I have to shut the box off when switching from 119 to 110 or 61.5, but switching from 110 to 119 or 61.5 works fine.

Silver Member
Username: Therepo

Ftaview.com

Post Number: 194
Here's c/p from Tyson01 on diseqc's. You'll find instructions for testing your switches. Read this through then test:

"DiSEqC switches can be a problem, the majority are made to sell at a low price and the quality control reflects this.
Chieta Heavy Duty switches seems to be the exception this.

DiSEqC switches are also very sensitive to power spikes, when you add or remove a cable from a DiSEqC switch this causes a power spike and this will damage the DiSEqC switch usually the first time it happens, so you don't get a "do over" with these switches.

So ALWAYS unplug ALL receivers from power when servicing a DiSEqC switch, using the ON/OFF switch on the back of the receiver is the same as unplugging it from power, turning off the receiver with the remote or front panel button is NOT the same.

A damaged DiSEqC switch will pass the signal on LNB1 port only, which tricks you into thinking the switch is working, but you can test for this.

Testing a DiSEqC switch, or any switch for that matter, can/should be done inside.

Turn off all receivers, using the switch on the back, unplug any sub boxes connected to the same dish you will be using.

Connect the cable going to your test receiver directly to a working LNB.
Turn receiver back on and select that satellite/LNB then see what your Signal and Quality levels are, write down those two numbers.
(you must have a high signal and quality level to do this test)

Turn receiver off using switch on the back, ALWAYS.

Disconnect the LNB cable from LNB IN port on receiver.
Connect the DiSEqC switch to the LNB IN port on the receiver using a short piece of cable.
Connect the LNB cable to LNB1 port on the switch.

Turn receiver back on and select the same satellite/LNB as before.

Use
DiSEqC 1.0
committed 1 (or port 1)

You should have signal and quality levels matching or just slightly less than before.
If you have no or low signal and quality then either the short cable your using is bad or the switch is.
If the quality drops 20-30 points then switch is bad.
If receiver shuts off on its own then cable or switch has a short, check or use different cable and retest.

If Signal and Quality are ok, then shut off receiver using switch on the back.
Move LNB cable to LNB2 port on the switch.
Turn receiver back on and select same sat/LNB as before

Change setting to
DiSEqC 1.0
committed 2 (or port2)

You should see Signal and Quality come back up, in some models you have to "save changes" before it will send the new DiSEqC switch command.

If you don't get Signal and Quality back then switch is bad, a bad DiSEqC switch will pass a signal on the LNB1 port but not on any of the others.

If Signal and Quality come back, turn off receiver using switch on the back.

Move LNB cable to LNB3 port on DiSEqC switch.
Turn receiver back on.

Change setting to
DiSEqC 1.0
committed 3 (or port3)

Check signal and Quality levels.

Repeat for LNB4 port, shutting off receiver, moving cable and changing settings to

DiSEqC 1.0
committed 4 (or port4)

Once you have tested all your switches, you can move the DiSEqC switch out to the dish(receiver powered off!) and connect all the LNBs up to it.
Then power on the receiver and do your settings to match how YOU connected the LNBs to the switch.
Once you have the settings done, turn all receivers back on and try switching between sats/LNBs if you are still having a problem then you will need to ground all receiver cables to a common ground point, even if you only have 1 receiver you may have to ground the cable.
The cables from the DiSEqC switch to the LNBs can also be the source of grounding issues, loose connectors = intermitant trouble.

DiSEqC switches also don't like cable runs longer than 50ft to the switch, this can often be the source of the problem, using a Chieta DiSEqC switch can solve this problem in most cases."

Gold Member

Post Number: 2406
I remember the day's when I bought them by the case. Then I upgraded to quality switches.Best move ever ,fast depenable no problem switching for 4 receivers 16 sat capacity.Still have a endless suply of extra switches and types.It's good to keep spares in reserve.

Silver Member
Username: Micklee11801

Post Number: 115
so, what is the best switches to get (brand and model please)?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2415
There are to many to list .Read up on switches and types and how they operate.also plan on adding extra sats or receivers to your setup.[future expansion].
Check out sites and dealer/sponsors on the switches and price that suit your needs best.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us