LCD vs. Plasma?

Username: Tadzma

Yardley, Pa Usa

Post Number: 1
I'm planning to buy my husband a new tv - we have a limit of 36" side-to-side in our entertainment center (which is new, so I want to keep it). What size should I get for best resolution and also, I'd like to stay under $1K. It sounds like I should go with Plasma rather than LCD - but the glare mentioned is a concern. Please advise what makes/models you'd recommend. THAnks!

Bronze Member
Username: Skeeterhead

Post Number: 34
Size is limited by the dimensions of your enclosure. So get the largest size that will fit it. At 36 inches or smaller, visible differences in picture quality are generally not detectable (depending, of course, on your visual acuity). In general, plasmas have better black levels which frequently means a better overall picture. LCD's are closing the gap. Angle of viewing is an LCD issue, glare and potential for burn-in with plasmas. Not knowing your set up or room light limits info. Sharp and Panasonic make reliable units. Sony LCD's have execellent pictures but some suggest they do not have overall long term reliability. This has not been my personal experience. All of the above is very much model dependent.

Username: Tadzma

Yardley, Pa Usa

Post Number: 2
Thanks, this is very helpful. The info on viewing angle is especially welcome; I don't think burn in is an issue in my case. I will look into Sharp and Panasonic. I, too, have noted issues with Sony tvs (not LCD or plasma), so I tend to avoid them.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 186
Since the smallest currently sold plasmas start at 42 inches diagonal domension, its a likely a mott point given your furniture.

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1249
Panasonic 42" Plasma is the way to go
Price should be around $1200 for a 1080i or $1000 for a 720p
If must be under $1000 Akai Plazma is also fantastic 1024x1024 price under $700
However this item has so much demand it maybe very difficult to find

Great source for shopping bargins:
www.ecost.com
Best of luck
King

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 389
Hey Kng could you direct me to that Panasonic 1080i 42 inch Plasma.

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1251
Yes
I'll give you a name of a store in NJ
I just bought one for my nephew for $1200
I will P/M on Monday

Bronze Member
Username: Skeeterhead

Post Number: 85
King, what do you know about the presumably upcoming(once the lawsuits end)SED sets?

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 189
SED sets have been put on hold indefinetly at this point.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3484
Unfortunately it's not looking good. Canon lost the first round, so unless they can win an appeal, which could take months or years, they may never happen. Stuck with crappy LCDs and plasmas for the foreseeable future.
Any new news should be posted here:
http://www.sed-tv-reviews.com/

Username: Kuisless

Post Number: 2
Try this site if you want to know the main differences between LCD and plasma:
http://ecranplat.lcd.plasma.free.fr
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us