Help and suggestions please

Username: Mcmanigalmj

Post Number: 2
Hey guys, Im an experienced car audio junkie getting into the home theater experience and I am currently in need of some help. I am looking for a quality tv with HD to start me off and I am seeking some guidance as to where to look and what names to possibly be looking at. Im have been leaning more towards a tube because I felt that for the money I was looking to spend that it would be the better route but you be the judge. The two options and am currently looking at an Insignia 30" Flat-Tube HDTV and the
Samsung SlimFit 30" Widescreen Flat-Tube HDTV. If anyone can tell me anything about those tv's, help me in making this decision or possibly recommend another quality tv around the price range of $400 to $550 or even $600 I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Username: Skeeterhead

Post Number: 10
Check www.cnet.com for reviews.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3461
I have to bite my tongue to say this, but after looking at HDTVs for over 2 years, I got the Sony KD-34XBR970 34"CRT HDTV. I'm not a fan of Sony reliability, but they aren't any worse than Samsuck, and Insignia, stay away from that. The Sony was $600. I've seen other people say they got them for the same price. If you can't get one for $600, they can still be bought for $700. You won't find a better picture at any price, you won't be disappointed with the picture quality. Don't wait long though, they are about gone and it's the last decent CRT HDTV that will ever be made. LCDs don't come close to it at any price. Only high end plasmas at around $4000 compare to it. The picture quality is pretty stunning. It took me 3 sets to get one without problems, so buy local if possible. The only drawback is it weighs 200 pounds.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
I have the predecessor, KDXBR960, 34". Best HD picture I have ever seen. Owned for 2 and a half years with no problems. If memory serves, they deleted a few features from the 970 but gave a considerable price reduction. If you have the space and energy to lift those suckers, you can't beat the performance for the money. Way to go David. I knew Sony picture performance would eventually lure you in depsite your reservations on dependability. In another life, you and I have gone a few rounds on that latter issue, but I always respected your opinion and appreciated your help on the DVD copying freeware. Any new freeware out there worth considereing?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3462
The 970 doesn't have the SFP picture tube is the main difference between the 960 and 970.
The best combo for DVDs is RipIt4Me with FixVTS and DVD Decrypter and Shrink. If you can still find RipIt4Me with FixVTS, the 4 all work together.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
David, thanks again. You got a much better deal on the 970. I paid $1800 for the 960 back in December 2004. Definitely not a $1200 difference between those sets. Take care.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3466
Yeah, CRT TVs are gonners, that's why they are so cheap now. It's a shame really, flat panel TVs just don't compare to a good CRT. I talked to a Sony rep a few weeks ago, the CRT plants are closed, all the CRTs they will ever produce have already been made, all that's left is what's in the stores and warehouses.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
David, to what do you attribute the decline of an obviously superior technology?

Post Number: 4
Do you know where I might be able to find the -34XBR970 34"CRT HDTV or the KDXBR960, 34" that you guys mentioned for sale?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Matt, David is probably a better source for that info. I last saw a 970 in the local Sears store around Christmas of last year. Try a "google" search or sites like bizrate.com, mysimon.com, amazon.com, ebay, etc. I would try to buy local if possible, however.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3467
Matt, look toward the end of this thread, there's some mention of places that still have them. I bought mine at Circuit City. Last I knew they still had some in stores for $700. The Best Buy near me still had them too, they were $850 though. If you have a BB near you that has them, find someplace else that has them cheaper and get them to price match. The 960 is gone and has been for 2 years or so. The 970s are almost gone too. Depending on where you live, you might not be able to find one.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=644837&page=54&pp=30

Dennis, most people don't care a lot about picture quality. They buy flat panels for the wow factor. They can say look at my new flat panel TV and think they are cool. Like I said, I looked for over 2 years and bought 2 other CRT TVs in that time that were both returned. I took DVDs into the stores and watched different TVs. No LCD made compares to the Sony at any price. Some upper end plasmas aren't too bad, but the heat is too much for me, they'd turn my room into an oven during the summer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
David, I agree with your analysis. Says a lot about the myth of the informed consumer. Is heat a serious issue with the plasmas? I've had my eye on the new 1080p 50 incher from Panasonic but can not afford the $3500 asking price. What is your general view on plasmas?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3468
The plasma TVs get pretty hot. They have as many as 5 cooling fans in them. I'd wait for the SED TVs that are supposed to hit the market pretty soon, possibly late this year. They are supposed to be like many CRT type guns in a flat panel display. If they are all they claim to be, they should blow everything else away. If you're looking at plasma, Panasonic or Pioneer are the best.

Post Number: 5
David, where did you find that Sony for that price??? Everywhere I look its roughly $999.00.

Post Number: 7
David, where did you find that Sony at those prices? Everywhere I look they run well over $800.00. Appreciate the help!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3470
I got mine from Circuit City online. They are gone online, but they had them in stores for $700 last I knew. There's people in that AVS thread that got them from CC as little as a week ago or so. Best buy still had them in stores last I knew. I don't know where you are, but if you read the last few pages of that thread, someone posted a company that supposedly bought all the TVs Sony had left in stock. I can't remember the name of the place. I posted in your other thread where you can get a Philips for $270 with free shipping. It wouldn't be the Sony, but you can't beat the price.

Post Number: 8
Is it about the same quality as that Sony? And Im just a little paranoid with the factory renewed business also, is there anything I should worry about with that?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3471
No way would the Philips be the same as the Sony. Have you called all the electronics stores in your area? Sears may still have some left too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us