Need a new TV! A Few Questions

Username: Pmcee

Post Number: 1
Hey guys.

The old "good TV" (lounge room TV) has pretty much had it! We are looking to get a new setup for the lounge room, but not knowing a lot about the home theatre/TV technologies of the present I am having trouble finding something. There are no really good buyers guides I can find on the net and information conflicts, so I thought I would ask here in the hopes of getting a home theatre expert to shed some light on my dilemma.

Firstly, I need to know wether to get a TV or a Projector? Projectors seem to give a much larger picture for the price?! Why would I get a TV instead? I know that I need a high lumen projector and am aware that I will need to change the lamp, but a projector just seems a better choice - bigger screen for less dollars; wats the catch? Would it be a LOT harder to setup my foxtel with a projector?

Also if I should go TV, plasma or LCD or Rear Projection or whatever the F*** else they are making nowadays!?

As for resolution, why would I need 1080p? I personally think that a 720HD picture is really good and cant see myself justifying the extra price difference for the next step up. Would getting 720 be like buying old technology that I would have to upgrade fast anyway? And would it allow for futureproofing? Could I never watch Blu-Ray or HDDVD once they become affordable by people who arent millionaires?

I think thats about it...sorry for the longness of the question. I think that there would have been a thread like this already, but I couldnt find anything similiar. Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated...and the quicker the better, I think the current TV is almost dead ;)

Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1673
­
Peter, I wish there was a magic pill for you, but unfortunately no one can say absolutely that the Transpectronic ZZV1000HD TV is the one for you and you will be happy with it forever. Your questions are way too general and difficult to answer for most people on this forum to take the time to answer. Besides, there are good buyer guides on the Net if you take the time to look up and read them.

I am no expert on these matters. Most of the real experts are AV pros who are far too busy to write in-depth essays on what to buy for individuals on this forum. However, I will give you some quick feelings and observations that I have come to in the last 4 years there's been HDTVs in my house. This is strictly my 2¢.

"Firstly, I need to know wether to get a TV or a Projector?"

I don't own a projector, but I can tell you this much: Anybody who installs a projector in a room that they can't control the ambient light in is making a big mistake. I don't care how bright the damn thing is. You, in order to get the most from a projector, must be able to achieve near or complete darkness, day or night. Also, consider the considerable installation hassles. Projectors are great in dedicated home theater rooms but are not that practical as general purpose TVs.

"Also if I should go TV, plasma or LCD or Rear Projection or whatever the F*** else they are making nowadays!?"

Nobody here or elsewhere can give you a single easy answer to that. All TV types have plusses and minuses. If one format was perfect we wouldn't have so many choices. In the end, you have to pull the trigger on the TV that has more plusses for you and your situation.

"As for resolution, why would I need 1080p?"

In my limited experience with 1080, it boils down to size and viewing distance. I can't see the difference between 720 and 1080 when viewing similar displays at more than three times their diagonal measurement. So, there's not much difference in two 60" TVs, 720 vs. 1080, at 15 or more feet. That said, when I replace my puny 720 50" with a 60+" display it will be 1080 because I will not be changing my normal 11' viewing distance.

Yes, either of the blue laser formats look just beautiful on a 720 display.

Finally, I have been impressed by the C-Net guides on this subject:

HDTV 101: A BEGINNER'S GUIDE

4 STYLES OF HDTV

HDTV RESOLUTION EXPLAINED

ULTIMATE HDTV BUYING GUIDE
­

Username: Pmcee

Post Number: 2
thanks a LOT John! I guess I will just have to go around and view all kinds of different things untill I find something that appeals to me!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1676
­
You're welcome Peter. One more thing: In every guide, one of the major drawbacks cited concerning rear projection TVs is the expensive bulb replacement. This is true, but it should be said that these bulbs will last several thousand hours. In my opinion, the bulb issue is important for situations where the TV is on 8 to 10 hours every day. However, if the TV is used more for "special events" (movies, sporting events, etc.), then it will be a very long time before bulb replacement will be required on most of these TVs.

Here's another quick read:

http://hometheatermag.com/gearworks/407gear/
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us