Switching from DN to DTV

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 8357
Ok. Be easy on me fellas/ladies lol. I've had dish network for a couple of years and 100% hated it! I don't watch too much tv so I lived with it. When the wind blew, I lost picture. It was just that bad. Even service was HORRIBLE. During our last wind storm my dish was blown out of alingment. Called them up and it was a $100 charge for them to come out and tighten a bolt!!!

So I'm looking at Direct tv. Good deals right now IMO. I know FTA rules here but bear with me. You guys are the guru's in sat so help me justify my switch. Also what to do with my current receivers I have from DN that I "own". I have two. One of which faulted so I swapped it for the other working one. Once DTV takes over I will have Two receivers (one of which faulty) that I don't know what to do with. Are they trash? I honestly don't know. Are they worth a nickle?

Basically I'm changing providers and cutting my monthly charge in half and also getting a much more reliable sat signal, correct?

And getting a freebie portable dvd player.

Any thoughts??????

Be gentle lol.

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 10416
I like DTV much better than DN...get the free 5 room installation and 5 receivers...U will pay an extra $5 per month for each receiver , after the first one...then give which ever receivers and their "married" cards to your family member or friends, who can hook it up to their own roof dishes (or pay somebody to come align their dishes)...they simply hook up the cable to the back of your ACTIVATED receiver with married card inside it, that U give or mail to them....then U ALL SHARE the monthly bill...it doesn't matter where your family or friends live in the North America either...this does work...its called SUB SHARING...BTW...order the BEST premium package also and get ALL the channels, except seasonal sports packages and PPV's...then , if U want u can add the NFL Sunday ticket or whichever sport u like, all of U can split that monthly bill too...and when ordering any PPV's, do it ONLINE, and U all can view the PPV that was ordered, and split those costs too... I have 12 receivers on my account and 8 of us split the monthly bill ($20 a month), so we pay practically nothing to get EVERY available DTV channel..and then the NFL Ticket during football season..

as far as your old DN receivers, save them in case one day U decide to learm how to hack their cards...orsell them at another DSS site like www.ftabins.net

BTW...I seldom lose my DTV signal, except in thunderstorms....I probably lose signal 10x a year for 10 minutes.....and U can buy a dish snow shield for the winter...they also have a UHF/VHF OTA antenna for local channels, that snaps onto the dish, that u can use whenever U do lose satellite signal...tell DTV U want one of them too...DTV is very "customer" orientated, and loves to give away "promotion gifts (DVD, luggage, free NFL Sunday Ticket, 3 free months HBO-Cinemax, etc ) when initially ordering, so get the best deal U can...sometimes it pays to wait 1-2 months when they run these specials...and U can "barter" with them..

Gold Member

Post Number: 8359
Thanks man. That is what I was looking for.

Upload

LOL!!!!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10420
Just remember 1 thing...when SUB SHARING...make sure that all your family and friends who "share" with U, NEVER plug their receivers into a phone line!!!!!!!....U can , but NOT them....nor should they ever call DTV to report a problem, U should....play it safe.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10421
Also U can add more receivers AFTER your initial free installation....(tell them U have a huge 14 room Victorian house and garage, and a cottage on the lake with preinstalled dish, etc...lol) DTV is very lenient about that...like anything though, U get various customer service reps, who may give U "BS bogus" answers, so be persistent and call back to DTV, if U don't ever get what U want...

Username: Tigger_woods

Post Number: 10
DN is the right price...why not go with DN on FTA and send the money that you save to a good charity, World vision/Salvation Army etc.

Silver Member
Username: Vndpatel

Post Number: 175
aren't you suppose to be playin golf?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8361
DTV is offering their top lineup for $39/month for 10 months out of 12. Free HBO/SHO/CIN for the first 3. Free Dvd player and a free upgrade to HD or DVR receiver. My DN was $75/month just for the "middle" package and I have one bad receiver which is worthless to me. Combine the piss poor customer service with the piss poor performance/reception I was just sick of it. I was waiting on fios but they're not in my area yet and can't give me a time frame when they will be.

Another thing that dug into me was when my receiver conked out on me I called them up and they stated that it was "my" equipment and I would have to purchase another one. Damn thing was only a couple years old.

Then what tops the cake was when I called to cancel. I explained my reasons to the "idiot" and she tried talking me into paying for a technician to come out and "adjust" my dish to improve signal quality. $100 to tighten a bolt???? To even further my anger she ignored my requests and wanted to increase my channel package. Apparently they allow alchohol in the workplace at DN.

No thank you DN.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10424
Paul their top lineup aka PREMIUM includes free HBO, Show, Cinemax, Encore, TMC, and locals all the time...so I'm confused about the $39 issue for 10, but only 3 months of HBO etc..I believe U misunderstood something...its probably their Total Choice Plus (almost basic/standard package) package for $39 instead of about $45 (I think)...and then 3 free months of some movie packages...I suggest U get the $99 (i think) package (PREMIUM) and then and extra $20 for the additional 4 receivers (1 is always free) for a total of $120 plus tax....then SUB SHARE that with 3 others, so u all pay ONLY about $30-$35 a month...then slowly add more receivers (remember its only additional $5 per month) and SHARE them too, therfore even reducing your monthly bill much more..

Initially take what they are offering U (its a FAIR deal), then later upgrade to their BEST $99 package...if U have family and friends who U can trust and willing to have a dish installed themselves by a local TV electronic place or do it themselves.....

BTW...depending on which DN dishes are on your roof, the DTV installer may just use those old DN dishes and realign them, and U keep the new DTV dish and give or sell to a bud for them to use with sub sharing.....or they can use your old DN dish probably for sub sharing, and U use the new DTV dish..

I have used BOTH DN and DTV dishes to receive either DTV or DN signals..in fact I have an older DN dish now with a DTV subscription...your geographical loaction and locals with impact which Dish can be used...ask the installer when he comes...most are cool guys..BTW, I suggest a late day installation time (last call for installer) and offer him a beer...they are usually MUCH friendlier then and will throw in some freebies, like the OTA antenna or snow guard etc...or maybe an extra room cable connection...but since U already have DN, their installation will be VERY simple and use the already existing cables, if they are OK...

Gold Member
Username: Satscanner

Beaversbush, Sportsmans P... Great White ...

Post Number: 2286
Paul,get a viewsat ultra ,$200 bucks or less,Get free wide open bev and dn.Use your same dish ,or add another for bev.It'll pay for itself 1st month,wide open and ppv and p*rn.

I ALWAY"S Recommend the ULTRA Package to my bud's.Never have to upgrade ,It's the ultimate!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10426
Paul FTA is good, but sometime its NOT always dependable and usually needs some attention...its NOT set it and forget it...if U have the time, its great...I know U have a job, single parent, house & yard maintenance, and other hobby interests...

I do the sub sharing which is a NO fuss, NO muss GUARANTEED Tv, and ALWAYS up for a VERY cheap cost (actually I pay nothing, since its my account & very slight risk, the others pay the shares/bill now)...and I do the FTA as a hobby and for PPV's...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2290
If you only have a Pansat,you'll require a sub for sure !

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10428
hey SS...I heard U were going to be the next AUTHORIZED PANSAT dealer...LMAO

BTW...wow, I didn't think women could "fake it" either....lol...I thought all women loved the Kielbasa...I never disliked a "bun" to put my Kielbasa into...LMAO

Gold Member

Post Number: 8364
My install is scheduled for Saturday anywhere from 1-5pm. Yes it will be a quick swap of just the dish and receivers. I'm guessing 45 minutes max and he's done. They way I read the ad and how it was explained to me was for $39 I get 185 channels for 10 months. Contracted for 12. The first 3 months I also get HBO,CIN and SHO free. After the 3 months, each premium is something like $10/mo each. I really only want HBO for the Saturday night boxing.

I see how to save the money by getting the four receivers and lending them out but I have nobody to give them to. I only need two for myself, one downstairs in the gameroom and one upstairs in the living room.

Funny, when I bought my house it had a DTV dish on the roof. When I ordered DN they pulled it down and put up a DN dish. Lol, now that's coming down and a DTV dish is going back up. Ironic.

Here's the ad. What am I reading wrong?

Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10429
Yes thats the Total Choice standard package...plus DVR service (thats ONLY $5 a month anyways, no matter how many DVR's U have)...

if DVR is NOT important to U get the middle package ($34.99 plus $5 for 45 more channels) and ask which are the extra 45 channels (hopefully not Music crap)...or tell them U want the middle package WITH DVR sevice...

this is what I have..is $89 a month with a $55 special now..

Over 250 channels, including locals
DVR service included to pause, rewind and record live TV
Includes 31 premium movie channels and over 30 specialty sports networks
DIRECTV Protection Plan included for 1 year
Price reflected includes a $10 bill credit per month for 12 consecutive months after mail-in redemption, and a $34 bill credit per month for the first 3 months.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10430
LMAO...my mistake...now I see that the "45 extra channels" are just a better package than the 140 channel $29 package...

either way GRAB all 4 receivers..U will always find somebody who will want those other 2 receivers (cost U only $10 a month for them)...then charge them $25 each monthly (still a great price for them) and u pay only $10 monthly for your 2 subbbed receivers...cause your bill will be $39 plus $15 for the 3 extra receivers, plus tax.. so about $60 a month..

Many peole even in here would be willing to share the sub with U...but a family member or bud would be best..

Gold Member

Post Number: 8366
So as long as the subbed receivers are NOT connected to a phone line they are basically piggy backing off my service? I take it the installer programs all 4 receivers? Do they have to be installed to program? I don't want him running two extra sets of wires to the bedrooms just so I can get the receivers activated. Do they come ready out of the box? Man I'm dumb lol.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10432
The 4 rooms installation is FREE...he is NOT doing anything "extra"...he gets paid by DTV to install 4 rooms!...so GRAB that!...ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

Tell them U want the 4 receivers also..and have him, the installer, hook them all up to each room, and then he inserts a new access card into each receiver (its now "married" to ONLY that receiver and cannot be used in another receiver..he then telephones DTV and tells them to ACTIVATE each card and receiver by card and receiver #'s...there really is NO "programming" the card or receiver...DVT flips a switch at their office and ACTIVATES them..the installer does nothing regarding that except, calls and ensures all 4 are working and receiving all channels U are paying for..

Now U can take any one or all of the receivers and it/they will work at ANY house that has a roof dish aimed at the DTV satellites..because they are activated on your account, and the receiver "receives" the DTV sat signals from anyplace in North America (Canada, US, Mexico)..the only thing different maybe the local channels and some regional sports at another location..anyplace withing 50 miles of U should be all the same as yours....The receivers are "mirrored" to your account and each other..

Definitely grab the 4 receivers for the extra $15-$5 each...the installer gets paid the same and U will benefit...and its no harder for the installer to hook up 4 or 2...and no harder for DTV to flip 1 switch to activate all 4...and that way U will be sure that ALL 4 work correctly before the installer leaves..

then share the 2 extra's that U don't need with 2 other people and share the bill..plus now your house will be cable, DN, DTV ready for 4 rooms for future receivers... or U can just add TV's to those 2 spare rooms, and still have TV from the 2 receivers that U keep, if U put in a simple 2 or 3 way cheap radio shack $5 splitter in attic or wherever u like, after the receiver/s-before the spare rooms....that way U can have TV in the bedrooms too without a need for additional receivers...U will just need an Infra Reds (IR) remote extender that the installer can also sell U for about $40..that remote will work from anyplace within about 100 feet in house and change your receiver channels for ya..

The phone thing plugged at your house is OK...its used by DTV to tell when U order/purchase PPV's via the receiver...but if plugged in at another house, U will get billed for whatever they order PLUS it sill send up a RED FLAG to DTV that another house and phone # are using YOUR receivers...

Gold Member

Post Number: 8369
Yup, that's pretty much how I was thinking.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2291
Now, don't let DTV in on our trick's of the trade.

Bronze Member
Username: Bill038

Post Number: 46
I'm sure they don't have a clue.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2292
I'm sure ther're happy that we know this.It keeps less ppl ordering their competitors service and money from them.You really think a family needs 12 recievers? And ppl are uncapable of moving one box to another room?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2293
Better marketing than Diknet's : sign up a friend for a three yr contract and get a $50.00 programing credit.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8375
I can see me like this in 20 years lol!!!

Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10439
nice...I like the green carpet steps, it adds something to the house character...like nice "curb appeal"....lol

ya think he watches much TV?...lol...and it appears that he's doing a VERY technical dish alignment...lol...and I bet he's got a nice "wet bar" too!....lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 2294
And his wife coundn't be happier with that setup out front.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2295
But then Again ,imagine the house without them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8376
Keep the dishes lol.

Nobody watches THAT much tv, do they?????

Gold Member

Post Number: 2296
I think he never heard of a "motor" for a dish.Or maybe he can't figure out how to set one up.

And sadly yes paul,I'm sure there are.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2297
Some ppl have 12 receivers,and others 12 dishes.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10440
and others have ...the 12 STEPS....LMAO

Gold Member

Post Number: 2298
Upload
Always ground your dishes!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10441
here's a c/p from my DTV online acct#....lol

DEN: HNS

AQUARIUM: HNS

LIVING RM: HNS

PLAY: HNS

GAME: HNS

MASTER BDR: HNS

BEDROOM 2: SAMSUNG

LIVING RM: HNS

BEDROOM sp: HNS

BEDROOM ki: HNS

BEDROOM 3: HNS

POOL 1: SAMSUNG

Gold Member

Post Number: 8377
Nice!

Like I said, I'm not THAT into tv anymore. Nice to have 12 cartoon channels for the kids and my boxing on sat nights. I'd say I watch 10-15 hrs/week, not including the kids. During NFL it's a different story lol. That's when it sucks the worst to have your picture lost. 4th quarter, down by 2, 15 seconds left, in FG range, commercial break, signal goes down. Been there, with 15 guests.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2299
Hey paul,didn't know you had bev .
Or a Pansat.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10442
I myself hardly ever watch TV except some sports, House (I love his condescending sarcastic ways....lol), Bill Mahar, local weather, and an occassional movie...but I like the idea that its there and working whenever I do want to watch... and because I SHARE 12, the price is right for all of us!

Gold Member

Post Number: 8382
I have tickets to see Lewis Black in August in AC. LK, you sound like a perfect twin lol!!!! I'm sure you've heard of him. I like house as well. His snappy humor is awesome!!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10443
I just watched parts of Larry the cable guy, and he is always a riot too!...Git Ur Done!...LMAO

Gold Member

Post Number: 8390
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1263235350788628991&q=lewis+black&total =1165&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

One of many. He's good!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2300
Thats funny Paul!
Here's something else : Go to google.com ,type in the word [ failure] then click "i'm feeling lucky and see what you get.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8394
I didn't get lucky.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10453
thats an old one...it doesn't work anymore...it use to come up with a pic of George W....

Gold Member

Post Number: 8397
I thought I was doing something wrong lol.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us