Archive through May 15, 2007

Username: Boatman_dan

Post Number: 2
to all those interested in filing a class action lawsuit....apparently sony has had a previous class action suit brought upon them in 2004 for "green blobs" affiliated with certain models of rear projection t.v.s it seems they replaced production of those models with the ones now plagueing thousands of new customers...pls check out this website and let the lawer who handled that case be aware that there is a new problem with sony. i have already done so. thanks here is the site http://www.poynerbaxter.com/Sony%20TV.htm

Post Number: 3
MARY ASHTON
PLAINTIFF
AND:

SONY OF CANADA LTD., SONY ELECTRONICS INC. and
SONY CORPORATION

DEFENDANTS
Brought under the Class Proceedings Act

STATEMENT OF CLAIM
THE PARTIES

1. The Plaintiff is retired and resides at #204 -- 1730 Duchess Avenue, in the City of West Vancouver, in the Province of British Columbia.

2. The Defendant, Sony of Canada Limited. ("Sony Canada"), is a corporation incorporated pursuant to the laws of the Province of Ontario and is registered Extra-Provincially within the Province of British Columbia, under number A0011981 and has its registered office at 2800 Park Place, 666 Burrard Street, Vancouver, British Columbia. Sony Canada maintains its head office at 115 Gordon Baker Road, Toronto, Ontario. This company manufactures, distributes, markets, sells and services consumer electronics products such as cameras, camcorders, stereos and televisions including the Rear Projection Cathode Ray Tube (RPCRT) televisions throughout Canada.

3. The Defendant, Sony Electronics Inc. ("Sony Inc."), is a corporation incorporated pursuant to the laws of the State of Delaware with its principal place of business at 1 Sony Drive, Park Ridge, New Jersey, in the United States of America. This company designs, manufactures, distributes, markets, sells and services consumer electronic products such as cameras, camcorders, stereos and televisions including Rear Projection Cathode Ray Tube (RPCRT) televisions.

4. The Defendant, Sony Corporation ("Sony Corp."), is a corporation incorporated pursuant to the laws of Japan, with its head offices situated at 6-7-35 Kitashinagawa, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo 141-0001, Japan. The business of Sony Corp., includes the design, manufacture, distribution, sale, marketing and servicing of consumer electronics products.

5. Sony Canada is a direct, wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Corp. Sony Inc. is an indirect, wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Corp. Sony Canada, Sony Inc., and Sony Corp., are hereinafter referred to collectively as "Sony."

THE FACTS

6. Sony Corp. and Sony Inc. design and manufacture, and Sony Canada distributes, sells, markets and services in Canada, various models of large-screen, Rear Projection Cathode Ray Tube (hereinafter "RPCRT") televisions, which televisions are hereinafter referred to as "the Class Televisions". The Class Televisions include, but are not limited to, the following models of Sony RPCRT large screen televisions:

(a) KP-61HS10;

(b) KP-57XBR10W

(c) KP-43T75

(d) KP-46WT500

(e) KP-48S75

(f) KP-48V85

(g) KP-51WS500

(h) KP-53S75

(i) KP-53V85

(j) KP-53HS10

(k) KP-57WS500

(l) KP-61S75

(m) KP-61V85

(n) KP-65XBR10W

(o) KP-65WS500

(p) KP-61HS30

(q) KP-51HW40; and

® KP-53HS30.

7. Sony Canada is also responsible for Canadian product information and instruction guides relating to the Class Televisions.

8. On or about February 17, 2003 the Plaintiff purchased from The Brick, situated at 2205 Park Royal South, West Vancouver, B.C., a 46-inch RPCRT television designed, manufactured, distributed, sold and marketed by Sony. The Plaintiff's RPCRT television was manufactured in 2003 and it is a KP-46WT500 model, which is included in the series of models referred to in paragraph 6 herein.

9. The Plaintiff paid $2,734.00 exclusive of provincial and federal sales tax for her RPRCT television and it was delivered to her residence shortly after she bought it.

10. In approximately September 2003, the Plaintiff began to notice that horizontal and vertical bars had become "burned in" to her television screen. The vertical bars are approximately three to four inches wide and appear on the outer edges of both sides of the screen and appear to be consistent with the portion of the screen that is not filled when the television is watched in its normal mode.

11. The horizontal bar that is burned in to the Plaintiff's television screen takes up approximately the bottom two to three inches of the screen and is consistent with a news or stock market "ticker" that would be broadcast depending on the channel being viewed.

12. The Class Televisions and in particular, the Plaintiff's television, can be watched in various modes including the following:

(a) Normal Mode: This mode situates the picture in the middle of the television screen with the left and right edges of the picture being approximately three to four inches from either outside edge of the screen. This mode results in a very small gap between the top and bottom edges of the picture and the top and bottom of the television screen;

(b) Full Mode: This mode stretches the picture horizontally to fill the screen;

(c) Zoom Mode: This mode enlarges the picture horizontally and vertically to fill the screen completely; and

(d) Wide Zoom: This mode enlarges the picture while the upper and lower parts of the picture are condensed to fit the screen.

13. When watched in normal mode, the picture on the Class Televisions and in particular, the Plaintiff's television, would not fill the screen completely but rather, would leave approximately 3 - 4 inches of the screen on the left and right sides empty (known as "sidebars") as well as a small portion of the screen at the top and bottom.

14. The vast majority of the Plaintiff's television viewing was in the "normal" mode and she used her television to watch various cable television channels and DVD movies.

15. Most, if not all of the networks available through the Plaintiff's cable television package and the programs broadcast employ fixed images including network or service-provider logos, news or stock tickers, scoreboards, clock and weather images as part of their normal programming.

16. The Plaintiff's Sony RPCRT television and the Class Televisions generally are defective in that their screens are prone to retain images that are steady, constant or fixed. Television networks and cable and satellite service-providers commonly broadcast such images. This defect is known as "image-retention" or "burn-in". The image-retention that occurred in the Plaintiffs Sony RPCRT television screen was caused by the said defect.

17. As a result of the image-retention incurred by the Plaintiff's Sony RPCRT television, the aforesaid horizontal and vertical bars have become permanently visible during the Plaintiff's viewing of all television and movie programming. Such image retention has interfered with, and impaired the Plaintiff's use and enjoyment of such television and will continue as such in the future.

18. At all times material to the matters complained of herein, the Defendants knew, or ought to have known, of the presence of the aforesaid defect in the Class Televisions.

PUTATIVE CLASS ACTION

19. The Plaintiff brings this action on her own behalf and on behalf of all persons resident in the Province of British Columbia who presently own or who have owned, or who purchased one or more, new or used, of the said Class Televisions.

NEGLIGENCE

20. The Plaintiff says that the Defendants were negligent in the design, manufacture and sale of the said Class Televisions in that they are prone to incur screen image-retention, or "burn-in" after proper usage and normal and foreseeable viewing of fixed images.

21. Fixed images are now, and have been at all times material to the matters complained of herein, a common, standard and foreseeable feature of television programming and television usage in Canada, the United States and elsewhere. In particular, numerous television networks and cable and satellite service-providers employ fixed images, including network or service-provider logos, news or stock tickers, scoreboards, clocks and weather images as part of their normal programming. These television networks and cable and satellite service-providers include, but are not limited to:

(a) Bell ExpressVu;

(b) the Canadian Broadcasting Company ("CBC");

(c) CTV;

(d) Rogers Cable Television;

(e) Shaw Cable Television;

(f) The Sports Network ("TSN");

(g) the American Broadcasting Corporation ("ABC");

(h) CBS Television;

(i) NBC;

(j) the Cable News Network ("CNN");

(k) the Fox Television Network; and

(l) MSNBC.

22. In addition to the widespread and generalized use of fixed images by television networks and cable and satellite service-providers, fixed images appear in numerous other uses of televisions including, but not limited to the following:

(a) "side-bars" generally appear on the left and right hand sides of television screens when viewing a program in the "normal" mode on a large screen Class Television;

(b) "letterbox bars" generally appear on the top and bottom of television screens when viewing wide-format program signals on a normal sized Class Television screen; and

(c) fixed images are employed in video games designed, sold and marketed by numerous purveyors of video games in Canada, the United States and elsewhere.

23. The Plaintiff states that she has suffered damages and that those damages have been caused by the negligence of the Defendants. Such negligence includes, but is not limited to, the following:

(a) The design of the Class Televisions was defective in that:

i. The Defendants relied on inadequate research and development tests;

ii. The Defendants failed to conduct appropriate tests and investigations following the design stage to ensure that the Class Televisions were free of defects;

iii. If tests and investigations were conducted, by ignoring, misinterpreting or withholding the results of same; and

iv. The Defendants incorporated parts or materials in the design of the Class Televisions which they knew, or ought to have known, were unsuitable for incorporation into the Class Televisions;

(b) The Manufacture of the Class Televisions was defective in that:

i. The Defendants failed to maintain adequate quality control of the Class Televisions; and/or

ii. The Defendants failed to conduct adequate tests that would have indicated that the Class Televisions were prone to incur image-retention.

(c) The Defendants designed, manufactured, distributed, marketed, sold and/or refused to service, at their expense, products which they knew or ought to have known to be defective;

(d) Despite complaints received by the Defendants and their knowledge that the problems with the Class Televisions were widespread, the Defendants failed to properly warn the Plaintiff and others similarly situated about the risks of use of the Class Televisions in the normal mode and of stationary images becoming burned into the screens.

BREACH OF WARRANTY

24. The Defendants expressly and impliedly warranted through their brand-name promotional activities and labelling practices that the Class Televisions were fit for the purpose intended, and that they were of merchantable quality. The Defendants are in breach of these express and implied warranties.

BUSINESS PRACTICES AND CONSUMER PROTECTION ACT

25. In its sales brochures, advertisements and other forms of representations to the public, the Defendants made statements that had the capability, tendency or effect of deceiving or misleading consumers which constituted deceptive and unconscionable acts and the Plaintiff pleads and relies upon the provisions of the British Columbia Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act, SBC 2004.

BREACH OF CONTRACT

26. The Plaintiff says that the Defendants were in breach of their contract with the Plaintiff and the class by virtue of the said negligent design and manufacture and resulting defects having rendered the Class Televisions unfit for their intended purpose and the Plaintiff pleads and relies upon the provisions of the Sales of Goods Act, RSBC 1996 and amendments thereto.

DAMAGES

27. As a result of the conduct of the Defendants as aforesaid, the Plaintiff and members of the proposed class have suffered and continue to suffer damages including but not limited to:

(a) The cost of replacement and/or repair of defective Class Televisions;

(b) The loss or diminution of their use and enjoyment of their Class Televisions; and

(c) The diminution of the resale value of their Class Televisions.

28. The Plaintiff pleads and relies upon the principle of res ipsa loquitur.

29. The Plaintiff pleads and relies upon the provisions of the Class Proceedings Act, RSBC 1996.

RELIEF REQUESTED

30. The Plaintiff on her own behalf and on behalf of members of the proposed class claims:

(a) General damages;

(b) Special damages;

(c) Punitive, aggravated and exemplary damages;

(d) Interest pursuant to the provisions of the Court Order Interest Act;

(e) Costs;

(f) Such further and other relief as to this Honourable Court may seem meet.

PLACE OF TRIAL: VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA.

DATED at the City of North Vancouver, in the Province of British Columbia, this 20th day of October 2004.

Solicitor for the Plaintiff

THIS STATEMENT OF CLAIM is filed by PATRICK J. POYNER, ESQ., of the firm of POYNER BAXTER, Barristers & Solicitors, whose place of business and address for delivery is Lonsdale Quay Plaza, #408 -- 145 Chadwick Court, North Vancouver, B.C. V7M 3K1 -- Telephone: 604-988-6321 -- Fax: 604-988-3632.

Back

Username: Mal247

Post Number: 1
Todd,

I had the same exact problem starting TODAY...ugh...hopefully it is just the lamp. Let me know how your case turns out.

Username: Trekrider1

Post Number: 4
Model Number: KF-50WE610
Serial Number:
Purchase Date: 01/07/04
Problem: LAMP AND FAN WILL NOT TURN OFF/REMOTE CONTROL TO ALL FEATURES [MUTE, VOLUME CONTROL ETC] WILL NOT FUNCTION. NO EXTENDED WARRANTY

Terrie... thanks for the post. Correction to my purchase date. My TV is 3 years old. Expected a Sony to last a hell of a lot longer than 3 years!
My TV is not under warranty.

Do you know what was causing your TV to turn on and off? My problem is currently intermittent. No way a tech is going to figure it out unless I can duplicate it while he is here. Anybody out there having similar issues with this set? Mine isn't turning off and the fan runs continuous. Must pull the plug from the wall to reset the unit...kind of like a windows hangup.. maybe microsoft helped sony design this damn thing. ARGHHHH!!!

for satisfaction against sony in regards to these model of tvs...I HAVE CONTACTED THE SAME LAWYER THAT FILED A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT AGAINST SONY 3 YEARS AGO FOR OTHER DEFECTIVE TELEVISIONS...PLS CALL THEM, THE MORE OF US BRINGING ATTENTION TO THIS PROBLEM THE BETTER, THEIR NAME IS POYNER BAXTER LLP THIS IS THEIR NUMBER AND WEBSITE... (604) 988-6321 poyner.baxter@telus.net}

Username: Toddtvl

follow-up to my thread from March 17th.

I am moving forward with the lamp replacement on Thursday. This is the latest information from the Service Vendor.

yes we do have lamp it is the xl2200.

Yes there have been a couple of roadmap problems as per internet chat rooms.
> we are a large sony service centre in canada and we have seen 4 roadmap issues ,non on the set you have,but certainly they are out there.

In other words not an issuee and sony is covering all replacement costs on roadmap problems. I have seen a couple of sets with blue "bleeding",engine problems,again considering the volume,no biggie
either.as to your problem, we in service,always assume only one problem at a time,the history we have on this set indicates lamp failure, I dont think we have changed a power block on one of these sets, but as per your online research, it is certainly quite possible, but not very probable.

Username: Rubyleefrances

Post Number: 7
Latest

I spoke to Sony, and they again suggested i wrote to ERC. But I did that and had no response.

Sony said they would look into this, and someone would call me back. No call back. They are stalling, once it gets past the Sept 2007 date they mention on the web site they are safe.

This is obviously a bad product with major problems, we really need to work together and get action. I don't care if its blue blob, on and off, random pattern (oh yes you are covered) or the TV exploded and singed my kids eyebrows, Sony are in the wrong.

IDEAS

1. TV consumer protection program. We get a local network to subscribe to the forum, we could all post with our problems and experiences with Sony, they would recieve the e-mails. If the network thinks it is a story they will broadcast it.

2. Class action lawauit. Are the companies people have posted legitimate? Arew they looking after our best interests? Again, if any one is talking to a law firm, have them subscribe to the forum. If they think there is a case, the law firm will post its contact information. Then each person can talk to them and make a decision.

3. We arrange a schedule for all of us to call Sony customer service at set times. We flood their lines for as long as it takes. Starting on a Saturday morning. If we have a schedule, names and problems being reported, we can give the service agent known examples of problems with the TV's I know I am tired of being told their tv's don't have any other problems other than Random line scribble.

4. Any one out there with web page production experience? I certainly would be willing to pay for your time to put a page together to put a web page together.

Any other ideas? Or which one?

We can post forever, but lets be honest, it is getting us nowhere. Sony read this and laugh. They laugh so loud they even advertise on the page.

Username: Shirlenepaulk

Model Number: KDF55WF655
Serial Number: 9004116
Purchase Date: November 11, 2004
Problem: Blue Blob and Blue Spots started early 2006.

Just want to let everyone know I'm having the same problem with my Sony Wega. On March 14, 2007, I called Sony Customer Service at 800 282-2848 and spoke to 1st tier support about the blue blob problem. Explained to him I have already gotten a verbal estimate (~$900) and was told that the tv had a bad light engine. I am not paying for this. The tv is only two years old and the problem started about a year ago. It started with two or three tiny blue dots and a year and a half later it is all over the screen. In addition, there are blue blobs on the tv that also gets progressively worse. It migrates, not when I'm watching tv but noticeable from week to week. Anyway, after about 10 minutes of explaining my sitation and ackowledging that I am out of the warranty period, I told first tier support I still need Sony to cover the entire cost of repair and I was told he can't help me but transfered me to 2nd tier support. Surprise number one. I didn't wait but 30 seconds. I was told that I need to write to:

Sony Electronics
Attn: Executive Review Committee
12451 Gateway Blvd
Fort Meyers, FL 33913

and reference the model #, serial # and the event number for my call. He was very pleasant, said he can't help me but that I can write and someone will get back to me within 7 days. Fine. I sent my letter out Thursday, March 15, 2007 certified mail with return receipt. I recommend spending the four bucks to make sure they get the letter. It's worth it if I can get them to cover the cost of repair. Well, surprise number two, the following Tuesday, March 20, I got a message from Sony about my letter. The next day (which is today) I called them back. Because I did not officially have the tv estimated, they are calling the same Sony authorized repair company to confirm that it is indeed a bad light engine. He mentioned that Sony usually only pays for parts and that I would have to pay for labor should my request be approved but that he's not promising anything. Not sure if I'm willing to pay labor since earlier postings indicated that Sony paid for all repair. They should just treat everyone the same - if they pay full amount of repair for one person, they should pay for full repair for everyone. I will fight this if they come back and only offer to pay for parts. Will update you all on this. Wish me luck.

Username: Illuminated

Holy crap. I put "sony tv extended warranty" into Google and this forum topic came up as the second item. This forum topic is scary.

I bought a KDS60A2000 two months ago from Circuit City and I was thinking about buying an extended warranty after seeing green clouds over the piture all over the screen about a week ago. I cycled the power and it went away and have not had another problem since or before that. I actually really like the TV so far.

I had a 36 inch XBR tube before this TV that was one of the first HD sets out there that did 1080i. I LOVE that TV and am only going to get rid of it because it weighs over 200 pounds. It's the main reason I bought another Sony.

My TV is SXRD and not 3LCD. It apparently has no color wheel and a different optical block so I am hoping I will get lucky and not have any of the problems described here.

The Circuit City warranty is $300 for two years total. The factory warranty is 1 year so the extension is really only one year. This extended warranty does not seem worth it, but I am now wondering if I should try to get one from a third party or from Sony that will last 3 or 4 years. Based on the postings here, if you have a problem it does appear to be beneficial to have the Sony extended warranty.

Has anyone has had any problems with SXRD sets?
(like my green clouds?)

The Technician came to my house, we opened the bottom of the TV and removed the old lamp and installed the new one. The lampTM indicatord showed about 6100 hours or so. He figured that's about normal.

Once the new lamp went in, the TV works just like it did as new.

Ironically, that was why I chose this TV and was comparing between the 60" Samsung DLP at the time, as they have a user servicable part that will bring it back to normal.

I don't have the light engine issues, roadmap or blue haze. My house doesn't have smokers and the TV is in an air friendly wall, so I don't know if the fan pulling crap into the TV can cause some of the WEGA engine issues?

Anyhow, for those watching my story, the $ was new lamp ~ $300.00 and $65 for the tech to come install it (which I didn't need) and to reset my TVL lampTM (timer) to zero, which I didn't know how to do.

I would love to know what keys you enter on the standard sony remote to access that diagnostics section. He asked for my remote, which I couldn't find at the time, so he grabbed his own and using it, he could see text on the screen that would have been nice for me to see before hitting this Board.

Last note, I don't know why Sony allowed my TV to run normally for 40 seconds, then turn it all off for 30, then back on again, and so on. This might be different than what you guys experience, but the lamp solved it here.

Username: Holmesmic

VA

Hi Todd, I sincerely hope you never experience the light engine issues discussed here and am glad the new bulb fixed your problem. However, be advised that smoking is not the cause of the light engine problems. No one has ever smoked inside my house. And our house does not have a lot of dust.

When our set (KF-50WE610) was just at 1 year old it stopped turning on...a red light on the front would just repeatedly flash. We changed the bulb at a cost of $250 and it fixed the problem immediately.

About 4 months ago (when the set was just about exactly 2 years old) we started experiencing the "Blue Blob" issue at the top of the screen and at the bottom. Throughout the middle, there are probably 50 tiny dots (broken pixels, I guess?) that stay blue all the time. This issue started with 1 tiny blue dot and now there are 50+ scattered all over the screen. More appear practicaly daily.

Again, I'm glad your set is working good, but wanted you to know that you are not necessarily out of the woods yet.

Bronze Member
Username: Tv_mike

Post Number: 34
Todd,
Here is how to access the menu on a KDF-E series televisions.

WARNING!!!! Playing around in the Service menu can alter the quality of your TV picture which would not be covered by warranty. Don't change anything without understanding and documenting exactly what you are changing.

With that said, here's how to enter the Service Menu and reset the lamp timer.

1. If necessary, turn off the TV and wait for the lamp to shut off.
2. Press the following 4 key sequence without a pause: (display) (5) (Volume +) (Power)
3. Wait the normal turn on time for the debug screen to appear.

To reset the Lamp Timer:
1. Press the (JUMP) button 3 times on the remote to get to the Panel OSD mode.
2. Next press the remote (2) button 9 times to get to the Lamp Timer mode.
3. Press the remote (3) button, (mute), then enter to reset the timer to zero

Hope this helps.

Username: Jilldrzewiecki

Chicago

I too have experienced the light engine/blue blob problem. The cost to repair is $1400 ($1000 part plus $400 labor). I was told by Sony there was nothing they could do since we are outside the warranty period. We purchased the tv in 10/2004 for $2600 and began having the problem in 2/2007 when the tv was just 2 1/2 years old. Despite me insisting this was not a warranty issue, but a quality issue, Sony continued to say there was nothing they could do. I was referred to their Executive Review Committee in Florida. Rather than go that route, I decided to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I recieved a response over the weekend indicating the BBB had received my complaint and would be processing it. They anticipated 6 weeks to achieve a resolution. I have had success with the BBB before. I don't know if anyone else has tried the BBB for the problems with Sony, but perhaps if the BBB gets inundated with complaints, something will be done.

Username: Pelstar

MI United States

Post Number: 9
Michael, I was told by our technician that the white spots, yes we are also getting dozens a day, are caused by dust on the fan. When the optical engine/block is replaced they will go away. He said they are not burned out pixels as the lcd's do not have pixels. However, I do not know what will prevent it in the future.

Username: Grfunk

Post Number: 6
Todd,

Had the same problem with the 40 seconds on, 30 seconds off bit. The lamp fixed the problem. This was on a 42we655 I have at work. It was running almost 24 hours a day for over a year. Had over 10,000 hours on the lamp. We don't run the puppy for 24 hours a day anymore. After the lamp change, everything is cool and looks like new. I figure with that kind of lamp life, I should get about 5 years out of the one I have at home which I bought in Oct. 2004

Username: Astifora

I have a KDFE-50A10 and I am wondering if I have the light block problem. I do not have "blue blobs" starting at the bottom, instead I have "purple blobs" starting at the top of the screen. Has anyone else experienced this with this model or any other model? Is it the light block problem? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Username: Firefighter818

Westville, Il USA

I want to start this out by saying thank you fine people for everything you are doing to pressure Sony into fixing their defects. I too have a Sony lcd tv with blue blobs. It started 2 years and one week from purchase date. Like most of you, I called place of purchase, they said too bad, then, I called Sony and they said the same. I hope you good people are able to get justice for all of us. If you are able to somehow set up a class action suit, sign me up .Again,, thank you all.

Username: Alvarez446

Usa

I have a KDF-42We655, it's about 2.5 years old, and we just replaced the lamp for the first time. My question is, how do the blue blobs start? Mine has had like three little blue dots for about a year now, and in the last couple of months, the number of dots has increased to about fifty- all in the same area of the screen. Will these dots eventually turn into the blobs? We did have an extended warranty that we bought from CC that unfortunately expired in October 06. Should I start calling Sony and documenting the problems with the dots now? Thanks.

Username: Krinone

San antoino, Texas USA

can anyone help??? I have a sony wega kdf-50we655 and when i turn it on it stay's on for about 20 seconds and then turns off, the green light in the front flash's several times then the t.v turns back on... My picture is perfect when the t.v is on, I don't have any blue spots like iv'e read about on this forum. The t.v just won't stay on..... Could it be my lamp??? Or does it sound like something else??? Someone please help!!!!!

Username: Jant

Chicago, IL

Chris Washington,

Sounds like the problem I had with my KDF-E42A10. Ended up being the B-Block circuit board. Cost to replace =$1048.03. Not under warranty (by 3 months) and extended service contract was never offered to me (bought t.v. at speciality shop). Called Sony and after being denied by the First Level Customer Service, the Supervisor authorized payment of the part ($783.67) if I paid labor. Set has been working correctly since then. I hold my breath, though, everytime I turn on my set. Waiting for the blue blob issue to appear.

Chris Washington,

Had the same problem with a KDF-42we655. Replaced the lamp and all is well.

Sony is extending the factory warranty of certain SXRD models to October 2008:

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-item.pl?news_id=185

It's not out of the realm of possibility for them to do the same thing for the 3LCD sets described in this forum. The models in the above announcement are XBR's, which are top of the line and the most expensive.

Username: Krinone

San antoino, Texas USA

Tony
Thanks for the help, I replaced my lamp today and it fixed my problem.. my t.v is working fine again....

Post Number: 8
Chris,

Glad to help. Hope it keeps working as well as mine. I have one at work and one at home. Mine bought in Nov. 2004 and the other in July 2005.

Username: Andrewr

New Jersey

I just purchased a 46" LCD, model KDF46E2000. I did not purchase the extended warranty but after reading all these posts, I'm thinking I should.

Does anyone have information about known issues or problems with this model?

Sony's extended service plans are relatively inexpensive compared to those you can buy from the big box stores like Circuit City and Best Buy. It cost me $250 for 5 total years (4 year extension) where Circuit City wanted $300 for 2 years (1 year extension).

I see Circuit City has the KDF46E2000 for $1350 this week. A Sony 5 year plan for a TV that cost $1000-$1500 is $150 for 5 years and $130 for 4 years. I bought a 5 year for my SXRD just because of what I read here. For a bit more than 10% of the purchase price ($250 for a $2100 TV), I bought 5 years of peace of mind if nothing else. I read all the posts in this thread and just the thought of having to go through what the people have gone through here was enough of an incentive.

I don't like it that I felt like I had to pay extra for the warranty, and had I read this thread before I bought the TV, I probably would not have bought a Sony, but I was after the 30 day return period and you have 60 days from the purchase date to buy the Sony extended service plan. Unless you're going to return your TV to where you bought it, I think the extended service plan is the best alternative.

If you could ask all the people on this thread (who Sony has shafted), if they could go back to when they bought the TV knowing what they know now, and they were out of the return-to-store window, if they could get a 5 year extended plan for 10% of the purchase price, they would've all bought it, probably.

It's difficult to find on their site. Here is the URL, for reference.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/EW_ViewExt endedWarranty-Detail?CategoryName=CE_TV

It's rather easy to buy plan over the phone. All you need is your purchase date and serial number.

I hate it that I am pitching something for Sony on this thread, but I think it makes the most sense if you are in the 30-60 day window.

Username: Andrewr

New Jersey

Illuminated,
Many thanks for the extremely useful information.

$150 is not a lot of money for peace of mind.

Thanks again.

Username: Kathychip852

I have also purcased a grand wega 60 inch KDF-60XS955 that cost 4000.00 on 12-11-04. On 11-7-06 I contacted Sony 1-800-222-7669 about a blue color appearing on the left side on the bottom of out tv, filtering upward. I had no extended warranty. They achnowledged problems with their light engines but would not help with repairs after calling them back and telling them the repair man wanted to take the tv and didn't know for sure what the problem was. They were leaning toward the light engine but wouldn'tsay and after paying 75.00 for the service call was told labor to take to the shop was at least 350.00. We did not let them take the tv and I have had blue dots, starting out in a small number and now a large number working their way up and accross my screen. I am just sick about the cost of this tv and the expense it will take to fix. It is at the point where I can't stand the picture. I am very interested in a class action suit or a plea to anyone who would help with this issue. Definately my last sony product.

Kathleen-
It doesn't make any sense for Sony to not help you. I have the same situation - no warranty - and they have agreed to pay for parts. See my post earlier. I have to pay for labor though. I live in Bay Area, California and labor cost for me is ~$250 plus the $75.00 for diagnosing the problem. I'm waiting to recoup my labor cost later if they decide they will cover the whole repair for blue spots/blobs like they do for the squiggly lines. For now, they have agreed to pay for part. I'm still waiting for the technician to order the part and install it. Sony approved paying for part last week. If you're agreeable to paying for labor, I would suggest you try my method. I would hate to toss the TV after paying $4000 for it. Good luck.

Username: Blueblobwega

This thread is chocked full of inconsistencies from the Sony bureaucracy. As I stated in my last post I have a theory as to why that is and I intend on exploiting it as far as it will get me. Without any official acknowledgment from Sony regarding the blue blobs/dots/flares, there's simply no way you will get someone on the phone to commit to paying for this defect. Right or wrong, their (phone support) hands are tied without an authorized diagnosis and estimate. Once you reach that stage and they know the numbers; Sony will haggle.

Now, assuming they agree to pick up the parts, you're out $75-$125 for the service call plus the labor. $400-$500 later you have a "new" TV. Not bad but BAH! Even though their "re-call" form states it only covers road map issues, more than once via e-mail Sony has directed people (myself included) to pay for the entire repair and then submit the claim form; despite the complaint being for blue blobs.

That said, I feel the most logical approach is to file a claim for ALL expenses incurred and let it go through the Sony red tape machine.

On Feb. 11 Kevin Day wrote: "To all who are getting the Blue Blobs. Mine needed the optical block replaced. I used the link below to fill out a form and sent copies of my receipts for the repair (labor, parts and pick up and delivery) and within a few weeks got a check for the full amount of almost 1500 dollars. I hope this helps all with this problem."

With that as well as the response I received, my plan is to submit a bill. If they decline, then I have documentation where they've agreed to pay for at least the parts for others.
--Worst case I'm out the $1200-$1500 (which would've been spent on a new Samsung anyway)
--Medium case, I'm out the labor.
--Best case is they it cover lock, stock ,and barrel. Which is what my gut tells me they will do via the big red machine.

Username: Cwink

Oxnard, Ca United states

KDFE42A10 SONY LCD PROJECTION TV PROBLEM
The tv picture and sound will turn off and then The red lamp light will flash sometimes other times the green power light will flash after about a minuate the tv will come back and work fine. sometimes it will happen several times a day and other times not at all. any feed back would be much appreciated.

Username: Jagati

Well add me to the Blue Blob list.
kdf 42we655
3-19-05
It started about two months ago, now it covers the entire left side of the screen. It is an inch wide at the top and gets to about five inches at the bottom of the screen. Lucky for me I did buy the ex. waranty. Just calld Best Buy and they will have the repair people contact me to set up appointment. Just wanted to say thanks for this site as it has been most helpfull.
I just cannont beleive there has been so many problems with these sets. I have been a life long fan of Sony but if they dont start taking care of the people that dont have waranties, I am done with them.

Username: Angelodileonardo

Elmer, N.j. Usa

own sony 70inch xbr950 had nothing but problems 3years old replaced bulb 5 times replaced opptical engine replaced fans made bigger ports for cooling still they made this tv for one thing to make money on repair bills thank god i had the extened warrty from tweeter ins complain about the cost of repair 2800 dollars still my tv is junk.

Username: Jruz

Blue Blob victim here. Sent Certified letter to Sony Review Committee in Ft. Myers Florida and just got a call today stating that they will pay for the optical block. I agreed to pay for the labor. Part will be ordered and installed hopefully next week. I believe that Sony should have paid the full amount considering it's a defective optical block but was satisfied them paying for most of it.

Username: Lastsonyibuy

San Antonio, TX

Hello All,

Been quite some time since I posted--over a year. I have been fighting Sony over the Blue Blob problem for a year now and the best I could ever get out of them was to pay half the cost of replacing the optic block. I was of the attitude, why throw good money after bad? Six months ago, I had pretty much given up on ever having my KF-50WE610 repaired.

The reason that I am posting today is that 3 weeks ago I became one of the "Lucky ones" (In a sick sense of the word). The "road map" issue showed up. A year ago, a blue blob started in the top left corner, was about 12 inches in size. Eventually, multiple blobs began showing and spreading to a majority of the screen. Along the way, stuck blue pixels began showing up(for about the last 6 months) and multiplying daily. Finally 3 weeks ago, the road maps appeared.

I rushed it down to the local repair shop, they verified it was the "road map" issue, Sony repaired it, and I picked it up yesterday. The picture is as good as the day that I bought it--no road maps, no blue blobs, no stuck pixels.

I am posting this message in hopes that Sony does monitor this forum and they begin to understand and admit there is a problem, and stand behind their products. The blue blobs, road maps, stuck pixels are all caused by faulty optical blocks and should be repaired by Sony due to premature failure.

Username: Timzagorc

Hello All,
First time poster. I purchased a KDF-42WE655 in November, 2004. Since January, 2007, I have been experiencing severe Blue Blob and stuck pixels, but no roadmap. I went through 3 levels of Sony personnel (support, supervisor, customer relations) who all said they would not cover any of the costs for the optical engine as I was out of warranty. Here's my question - If this turns into "roadmap" would I be able to get it fixed at no charge under the program in the memo outlined above or does the set still have to be under some warranty?
Thanks to all - I'm glad I stumbled on this board.

Username: Poolerw0987

Titusville, Fl USA

Hello everyone,
This is my first post, I would like to say thanks to everyone who has taken the time to document their experiences with their defective Sony tv. I too have the blue blob problem with my KDF-55WF655. It is mostly confined to the lower right and along the bottom of the screen, occasionally the blob has dark blue lines in it. I have recently noticed a faint blue 'halo' in the center of the screen. I contacted Sony via e-mail describing my symptoms and they replied that they were gald to inform me of their additional service coverage. I responded asking specifically if my tv's symptoms would be covered and they replied that I should contact Sony CS via phone. OK, I do that and get the 'we're sorry' story, what???? I ask to be transferred to Sony CR, when ask if my symptoms were covered the answer was basically - 'if your optical block is defective it will be covered under the additional service coverage'. I agree with with the theory that Sony will try to fix a problem that they won't admit exists - if pushed. What I find interesting is that the determining factor rests in the hands of the service person, they will determine wether your problem qualifies for the additional Sony coverage.

Randall Poole-

I also found that the determing factor would lie on the service person saying that it was the roadmap issue so I kind of said to them, "If you say it's the roadmap issue, who am I to argue." but after they evaluated my television they said that indeed it's the optical block causing the blue blob but not the roadmap. I agree with everyone here that a defective block is a defective block no matter what the problem. But since the roadmap issue will only be covered thru September 2007, I agreed to pay for the labor cost. Sony has agreed to pay for the part. If by any chance Sony includes the blue blob issues in the near future, I'm sure sony will reimburse my labor costs.

Username: Gregmcgowan

Milwaukie, Oregon USA

I also now have the Blue haze problem at the lower left corner of my screen. So far it's not to bad, but I know it's going to get worse. I have also posted a link to this site through an e-mail to the HTGUYS podcast website. These guys do a great job of informing the public and read user e-mails and questions all the time. Maybe it's time to start shedding a little light on this subject with the media. I guess I'm going to start the process of having a tech come out hear and get me a diagnosis. Any info. you guys can provide would be helpful, but I have learned so much already from this forum, and plan on utilizing some of the info. I've gained here. Good luck everyone in trying to get your TV's repaired.

Some posters keep referring to the "additional service coverage". What does that mean? If I push it, will my blue blob/NOT roadmap yet problem be paid by Sony even if my tv is out of warranty?
Thanks again to all.

OK - just got off the phone with Sony Fort Myers Customer Relations. Explained that I am getting enlarging blue blobs on my set and greatly expanded purple pixel stars blinking (in the hundreds now), but I admit it is not what they consider roadmapping. Went through 1 rep and 1 supervisor type and was told they would not pay for any optical block replacement. I told her I was through with Sony if that is the case and I think she could have cared less so obviously they are hearing this often and keeping it under wraps. I hope someone with a brain is monitoring this board for Sony.

Greg, if your set is out of warranty, I would not suggest paying a tech to come out and tell you that the blue blobs are because the optical engine is bad. All they can do is tell you it will cost $900 to replace and Sony won't pay for it.

Tim,

Sony is notorious for being inconsistent with handling these blue blob issues. My TV is out of warranty and they have agreed to pay for labor on the replacement of the optical block that is causing the blue blobs. If you're interested in pursuing this, I suggest you write to Sony to get some kind of satisfaction. See my post on March 21, 2007.

Post Number: 5
Thanks Shirlene. Are they also paying for the actual part so there is no charge to you?

Tim - They are paying for part only. I had to pay for the tech to diagnose the problem ($75) plus $250 for installation of the new optical block which has not been done yet. Waiting for part to come in. Should be in next week. Good luck.

Chicago

I would again recommend that anyone with a problem be it blue blob or otherwise, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Someone outside of Sony should know that there is a major problem with Sony's quality.

I have the blue blob problem and am outside the warranty. I called Sony and was told they would not fix the tv. I filed a complaint with the BBB online on 3/21. Sony called me on 4/6. Sony has retained one of its authorized repair persons to look at the tv. We are in the process of scheduling that now. Sony has not committed to making any repairs but has suggested that it is interested in resolving the problem. I am standing firm in my demand that they pay for full labor and parts. Otherwise, I'll let the BBB know that the problem was not resolved.

Username: Jp1008

Jill,
I just filed my complaint about my blue blob probem with the BBB as you suggested. Thanks for suggesting that. I also sent certified letters to Sony complaining about the blue blob problem and asked Sony why they are not standing behind their product and covering all expenses to replace the optical block? There is a defintie design flaw in the Sony Grand Wega which I purchased in Nov2004 and paid close to $4000!!! How can Sony get away with this?

Username: Kaarina82

I bought the Sony KF50WE610 in October 2003 for $3200 direct from Sony.com. In Nov of 2004 ( How convenient just days after the warranty expired) the lamp blew. I had the lamp replaced, and a few weeks later, I got the optical block issue with the tv. After listening to Sony customer service lie to me time and again over the next 2 years, I finally got Sony to fix my set, in Nov of 2006. Then, they had the nerve to ask me to give them a great rating on the customer service survey that I would be getting in the mail. I told them no, that I couldn't, and explained why. They offered me a free 6 month extended warranty for my trouble. I asked them to replace my tv, or to give me a $3200 credit, and I would buy another sony tv from them. They refused. In March of 2007, the lamp blew again,and the speakers were buzzing. I used the 6 month bribe that Sony gave me, and had the set repaired. Last night, I got the blue blob on my screen, except mine isn't blue, it's red! I was on the phone once again with Sony, and they will be out to repair my tv for the third time in the past month! I am sick to death of this $3200 lemon, and sick of Sony! I recently had to buy a new tv for my bedroom, and refused to buy Sony. I got a Sharp Aquos, and I am very pleased with it. I am going to try and get Sony to replace my tv. The set is 3 1/2 years old and has had 3 major problems and 2 minor problems that needed repair. Thanks for all the addresses and contact info on this site. Wish me luck!

Good luck Karen. Did you contact the BBB and inform them of your problem? This may help you and others like myself. Thanks for sharing your experience. I will never buy a Sony product again.

Thanks Jeanette. I did contact the BBB and filed a complaint. I am hoping that it will work for me, and help others with their Sony. I was at the store yesterday to buy high def video tapes for my Canon high def video camera. 2 companies make that tape, Sony and Panasonic. Can you guess which brand I bought? Not the Sony.

Chicago

In response to my Better Business Bureau complaint regarding the blue blob, Sony sent its own authorized technician to my home to diagnose the problem. It was diagnosed as the optical block. Sony has agreed to pay the approximately $500 for the part but has refused to pay for the $350 labor. I have thus far declined their offer. I am holding firm to my demand that Sony pay both parts and labor.

More significantly, Sony suggested that any information on the internet regarding problems with Sony Grand Wega "may" be inaccurate. When I asked the Sony representative to confirm that the information was inaccurate and that there was not an inherent problem with the Sony Grand Wega, she declined to do so. Instead, the Sony representative implied that this was an uncommon problem. She then suggested rather condescendingly that I should accept Sony's offer made as a gesture of "good will." Based upon Sony's response to my continued questioning regarding her knowledge and whether this was an isolated incident, I believe Sony is well aware of the issues.

What I find interesting is that the optical block is causing both the roadmapping and the blue blog problem (and who knows what other yet undiscovered problems.) Sony has agreed to pay for the roadmapping but not the blue blog. This affirms Sony's inconsistent handling of the optical block problem. Sony should pay for replacement of the optical block (both parts and labor) regardless of the problems it causes.

I intend to stand firm insisting that Sony pay for all the costs. It may not get me anywhere at this time. If not, I intend to pursue all available legal remedies.

I agree with your position Jill. Sony should extend their warranty for replacing the optical box for the blue blog problem. Why is roadmapping covered under the extended warranty but not blue blog? Sounds discriminatory if you ask me. I contacted an attorney to file a class action lawsuit against Sony. What Sony is doing to their customers who spent alot of money on the Grand Wega is absolutley ridiculous. There's got to be a law against doing this to the consumer.

Username: Mijinkal

Canada

OK, after a long read I'm not shure I should keep my sony anymore. I just bought the 46" rear projection, model KDF46E2000. I still have about 20 days to return it for a full refund or exchange. I didn't buy the warranty mostly because it was over 30% of the price of the TV and I thought sony was a good brand I should trust. so, should I keep it or return it for something else? Thanks

Alan-

What led you to this forum, anyway?
I'm just curious.

I don't know where you bought your TV or what you paid for it, but Circuit City is showing it for $1100 right now. You can get a 5 year extended service plan from Sony directly for $150. See my earlier post for a link. I'm wondering how you calculated 30%.

Your TV has the current generation of the same 3LCD technology that all the problem TVs mentioned in this forum have. If I were you, I'd buy the plan from Sony or take the TV back. As noted in an earlier post, I was in the same boat as you a couple of months ago and decided to keep the TV and buy the service plan, even though I have an SXRD which probably will not have these problems anyway. It's worth the peace of mind, IMHO.

Username: Mijinkal

Canada

Thanks Illuminated. I found this forum when I googled the tv I bought. There's lots of great info here and I like to know as much as I can about a product before buying it.
I didn't see your post about the warranty from Sony, I read the first 15 posts and sifted through the rest. I see your post now, Thanks.
I bought the TV from future shop here in Canada for $1299 and the warranty was $450. I know it buys you peace of mind, but I don't need it at that price. I think I'm gonna bring it back after hearing about all the problems. I'm pondering buying this... http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0770HDS0010073029&langid= EN&CMP=ILC-FS_Flyer_Tracking

Well, after sending Sony Customer Review Committee a certified letter regarding my blue fog issue and asking for some financial assistance, they called to tell me that they would pay for part. Part came in yesterday on 4-23-07. My television was delivered today and everything looks fine now. I did have to pay for labor which was $173.00 dollars. I just hope this new optical block will hold for many years to come. If Sony decides to cover blue fog issue as well in the near future, I'm hoping I can get my labor cost reimbursed.

Titusville, Fl USA

JRUZ, could you provide the address for the Sony Review Committee? It would be much appreciated. Also, yesterday I sent a complaint to the local BBB, I'm awaiting their reply. Don't know whether to think it's good or bad but, my blue blobs are getting bigger and swirling lines now appear in the blobs...what a piece of $3400 junk. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Randall Poole, here is the address:

Sony Electronics
Attn: Executive Review Committee
12451 Gateway Blvd
Fort Meyers, FL 33913

I got a call from Sony 4 days after I mailed it Certified. According to their bulletin, squiggly lines are fully covered by them if your T.V. model is one of those listed. Of course, a Sony Authorized repair center has to make that determination. When you write to them include your event I.D. and try to be very detailed. You get an event I.D. when you first call Sony and tell them about your problems. Good Luck.

Username: Travis_l

Austin, TX

This is great information and has been helpful in diagnosing my problem. However, I now need a cure for my TV.

I too just began experiencing this issue on my KDF-55WF655 television...blue blob line in bottom left corner of my screen. Some days it's bigger / brighter than others, but it's always there now. Today, it was a complete half circle. I called Sony Support with pretty much the same result as everyone else...The CSR actually stated, "Too bad it wasn't the woodgrain appearance, that would have actually been a better diagnosis." He gave the number of 2 Sony repair places near me, but I know it's a waste of time to call them.

I will probably take the approach of others here and write to the ERC as well as the CEO. Depending on how that goes, I will go for a BBB complaint as well.

One other avenue that I'm looking at is that if I bought it with my American Express card, I have an additional year of warranty through their Buyers Assurance program. The only problem that I have is that I need to find my receipt. I have e-mailed the online retailer that I purchased from and hopefully they can send me a copy.

Model Number: KDF-55WF655
Purchase Date: May 2005
Problem: My television has started having the described "Blue Blob" issue after not quite 2 years of owning it.

I believe we are closing in.

I have never spoken to the same Service agent at Sony, but all claim that my complaint was the first they had heard of the Blue Blob problem.

If you could post the full name of the sevice agent you speak to, and the date, we can catch them lying. I am going to keep a list of the names of the agent at sony, your name and the date. If the agent I speak to claims to have never heard of the problem, and is on my list, I will have more ammunition against this cover up.

Reminder, we have until September to get a resolution.

Problem, Blue Blob

Agent name, Porche, Sat Apr 21.

Fred

Chicago

Fred,

I spoke to a rep who's name I believe was "Grace" on March 21, 2007. When I did not get anywhere with her, I was transferred to her supervisor, a customer relations specialist named Kathy. Kathy's rep code is CZ57.

After I filed the complaint with the BBB, I received a call from Ann at Sony. The first call was on April 6, 2007. There have been numerous calls back and forth since then. What you might find interesting (as did I) is that Ann looked into the "history" of my complaint and conveniently found that there was no history. Sony had no documentation whatsoever of my March 21, 2007 phone conversation with "Grace" or Kathy (rep code CZ57). Apparently, unless you file a complaint with the BBB or the Executive Review Committee and obtain an Event ID #, Sony does not keep a record of the complaint.

Also, the Sony authorized technician that examined our tv told my husband he had never seen or heard of the blue blob problem before.

So again, I would strongly encourage everyone with the blue blob problem (or any problem with the optical block for that matter) file a complaint with the BBB or with Sony's Executive Review Committee. Let's start documenting the trail.

Westville, Il USA

Just a note to all you good people. I fired off a letter to exec board today,I will let you all know how things turn out. Again, thank you for everything you people are doing.

Titusville, Fl USA

Thanks JRUZ. I recieved a response from the local BBB in Orlando, their reponse was "To file a complaint against SONY, you need to file with the BBB in New York City...Make sure you include your mailing address and what settlement you are seeking", so I will do that next plus send a letter to the Sony ERC.

Titusville, Fl USA

I am posting the complaint that I filed today with the Florida West Coast BBB, I was directed there by the NYC BBB. Possibly this will be of help to other effected owners in an effort to get Sony to respond favorably. The complaint is as follows:

Thank you for using the Better Business Bureau's Online Complaint System.
Your complaint has been assigned case # 67085717.
Correspondence regarding this complaint will be emailed to : xxxxxxxxxx
Please print a copy of this for your records.

Filed on : April 28 2007

Filed by :
Randall Poole
FL 32796

Filed against :
Sony Electronics, Inc.
12451 Gateway BLVD
Fort Myers FL 33913-8010

Complaint Description:
I currently own a Sony rear projection TV (model KDF-55WF655) that I purchased in November of 2004. It now has a problem (first started approximately 1 month ago) that is referred to as the "blue blob" problem. An internet search of consumer electronic websites reveals that this problem effects dozens, if not hundreds of other Sony rear projection TV owners. My reason for contacting you is that Sony's position for this situation is basically "sorry, your TV is out of warranty". This is true but, it is also true that my $3400 TV is only 2 years old and there are many, many other owners effected by the "blue blob" problem. My research shows that a typical repair cost for this problem is $1000-1400, that is an outrageous amount for a 2 year old $3400 TV. I believe, as do other owners that Sony should stand behind their product that apparently has a major design and/or manufacturing problem and correct it at no cost to the owner. One interesting point is that on Sony's eSupport site the following can be found: 2003-2004 Model Year Grand WEGA Televisions: Models: KF-42WE610, KF-50WE610, KF-60WE610, KDF-70XBR950, KDF-60XBR950, KDF-42WE655, KDF-50WE655, KDF-55WF655, KDF-60WF655, KDF-55XS955, KDF-60XS955, KF-42WE620, and KF-50WE620. As technology evolves, Sony continually looks to stand behind the reliability of its televisions. It has come to our attention that a very limited number of televisions manufactured between 2003-2005, after a period of time exhibit a stationary scribble / random line pattern on the screen. Click here to see photos of this symptom. As part of our commitment to quality, Sony is announcing that for any owner of this model television who paid out-of pocket expenses on or before May 26, 2006 for an estimate or repair service to replace the optical block for this specific issue, Sony will reimburse the customer by mail for his/her parts and labor expenses. To receive reimbursement, please follow completely the directions and terms on the claim form for reimbursement; all claims must be postmarked by May 31, 2007. In addition, for any customer who later experiences this issue on one of the affected models, Sony will cover the cost of the optical block repair at no charge through September 30, 2007. All other terms of the Sony limited warranty continue to apply. That is a nice jesture however, hardly any owner has those symptoms, most everyone has the "blue blob" problem which Sony will not cover! The ironic point is that the part that causes the "blue blob" problem is the same part that Sony will cover in the extended service program, go figure. Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Your Desired Resolution:
I am requesting that Sony pay all costs incurred to restore my TV to proper operating condition, i.e. - replace the defective part and cover all labor costs.

This case will be reviewed by a complaint specialist at the Better Business Bureau, and then forwarded to the business for their response. You will hear from the Better Business Bureau within 30 days.

Username: 3rdworldgod

Mobile, AL USA

1st time poster here. You guys have provided me a lot of good information regarding how to attack Sony regarding these issues. I have plagiarized Randal's complaint to the BBB and adapted it to my situation and suggest anyone else submitting do the same. I have signed up at the class action website and am interested to see where this all goes. I'm with you guys. If Sony does not go above and beyond at this point to satisfy EVERYONE that has had or will have a problem with their light engine, I will not willingly buy ANY Sony product for the rest of my life (hopefully 30-40 years). Anyone with any light engine problem, please report Sony to the BBB. Strength in numbers!

I am a peon for a major corporation that has had similar problems with one of its products and know how executives at large companies like Sony tend to react to obvious design flaws and reliability issues with their products. They hide it until someone finds out or gets hurt. They spin it as an anomaly. They then refuse to take responsiblity for it until a government agency steps in and/or legal action it taken. Then they spend more time and money fighting the issue than it probably would have cost to fix the problem in the first place. The only way to get their attention is the BOTTOM LINE ON THEIR BALANCE SHEET. If the Sony execs. in charge of TV sales (and other divisions) start seeing their sales figures drop because of consumer resentment and/or the word has gotten out they produce crappy products they will try to take some action to keep their six figure salary and stock options and big house and raise the issue within Sony. Get the word out to everyone you know that Sony is letting their quality slip and will not stand behind their products. Don't buy anything Sony for any reason until if/when they make this right. Tell all your friends and family about this like me. I have had other people say, "Yeah, that Sony computer my parents bought was terrible. Expensive and it never worked right." It is obviously not just TVs. (FYI: I don't work for anyone that would consider Sony direct competition so I have no stake in slandering Sony other than my $3K TV that is a P.O.S.)

Thank you for using the Better Business Bureau's Online Complaint System.
Your complaint has been assigned case # XXXXXXXX.
Correspondence regarding this complaint will be emailed to : my email address here
Please print a copy of this for your records.

Filed on : April 30 2007

Filed by :
My Name Here
Mobile AL

Filed against :
Sony Electronics, Inc.
12451 Gateway BLVD
Fort Myers FL 33913-8010

Complaint Description:
I currently own a Sony rear projection TV (model KF-50WE610) that I purchased 11/28/2004. It now has an issue (first started approximately 7/2006 and the TV has been in the repair shop since 11/2006-present) that is referred to as the "blue blob" problem and pixels that remain on "stars" on the screen making it unwatchable. An internet search of consumer electronic websites reveals that this problem effects dozens, if not hundreds of other Sony rear projection TV owners. My reason for contacting you is that Sony's position for this situation is basically "sorry, your TV is out of warranty". This is true but, it is also true that my $3000+ TV was less than 2 years old and there are many, many other owners effected by the "blue blob" problem. My research shows that a typical repair cost for this problem is $1000-1400, that is an outrageous amount for a 2 year old $3400 TV. I believe, as do other owners that Sony should stand behind their product that apparently has a major design and/or manufacturing problem and correct it at no cost to the owner. One interesting point is that on Sony's eSupport site the following can be found: 2003-2004 Model Year Grand WEGA Televisions: Models: KF-42WE610, KF-50WE610, KF-60WE610, KDF-70XBR950, KDF-60XBR950, KDF-42WE655, KDF-50WE655, KDF-55WF655, KDF-60WF655, KDF-55XS955, KDF-60XS955, KF-42WE620, and KF-50WE620. As technology evolves, Sony continually looks to stand behind the reliability of its televisions. It has come to our attention that a very limited number of televisions manufactured between 2003-2005, after a period of time exhibit a stationary scribble / random line pattern on the screen. Click here to see photos of this symptom. As part of our commitment to quality, Sony is announcing that for any owner of this model television who paid out-of pocket expenses on or before May 26, 2006 for an estimate or repair service to replace the optical block for this specific issue, Sony will reimburse the customer by mail for his/her parts and labor expenses. To receive reimbursement, please follow completely the directions and terms on the claim form for reimbursement; all claims must be postmarked by May 31, 2007. In addition, for any customer who later experiences this issue on one of the affected models, Sony will cover the cost of the optical block repair at no charge through September 30, 2007. All other terms of the Sony limited warranty continue to apply. That is a nice gesture, however, hardly any owner has those symptoms, most everyone has the "blue blob" problem which Sony will not cover! The ironic point is that the part that causes the "blue blob" "roadmap" & "stars" problem is the same part (optical block or "light engine") that Sony will cover in the extended service program. I have had a Sony authorized dealer/repair replace the original light engine with two different refurbished units (which also did not perform to acceptable standards and were returned) that did indeed fix my "blue blob" & "stars". I have also been without my TV for 6 months further reducing its value to me vs. the price I paid for the quality Sony markets themselves to represent in their consumer appliance technology. I have had to purchase a smaller LCD computer monitor at $300 to use since my Sony TV has been in the shop. Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Your Desired Resolution:
I am requesting that Sony pay all costs incurred to restore my TV to proper operating condition, i.e. - replace the defective part ($800) and cover all labor costs ($200) and the cost of the LCD monitor I had to buy ($300) and $200 punitive damages for the 6 months I have been unable to enjoy my TV as my repair shop attempted to find the most cost effective way to repair the problem since Sony did not want to take responsibility for their product (i.e. using refurbished light engines). Total $1500 OR Replace the TV with a NEW later model of similar technology that functions properly free of charge (TV + taxes + freight) to me and is eligible for an extended warranty that I could purchase directly from Sony at my expense. Due to the fall in pricing of this technology since my purchase in 2004 ($3000+), a new Sony LCD projection TV of similar size and technology to mine can be purchased for approximately $1600 at most national electronics chains and at my local Sony dealer/repair center.

This case will be reviewed by a complaint specialist at the Better Business Bureau, and then forwarded to the business for their response. You will hear from the Better Business Bureau within 30 days.

Username: 3rdworldgod

Mobile, AL USA

Model: KF-50WE610
Purchase Date: 11/28/2004
Problem: 7/2006 Blue Blob (all sides of screen) and Stars (hundreds on right half of screen)

My initial call to Sony in 12/2006 resulted in the standard response: Not our problem & Never heard of that before & We have no idea what could cause that problem. Unfortunately, I was unable to locate my notes of the details of the call.

Username: Tsxprss

My set is developing the blue blob off the bottom of the screen in the center area. Nice big blue haze..........................

I will be having a Service Agent look at it, but to put it simply, if Sony doesn't stand behind it, it will be replaced by a Plasma, and I will never purchase another Sony again.

I knew this was a new technology and spent alot on it 3 years ago. Assuming Sony has the best R&D, etc... I assumed it would be built the best. Freinds bought budget brands, and now I have the egg on my face.

Sony has the chance to make it right. I certainly hope that they do, and restory my faith in them, however, if they don't I will be greatly disappointed in Sony.

I have always been willing to pay a premium for Sony, assuming I am getting the best, however this problem, like others have said, shouldn't happen to a $3000 television that is only a little over 3 years old.

Username: Travis_l

TX

I just discovered that there was a similar issue with the Sony SXRD series with a Class Action suit as well. There is more info here:
http://www.breakitdownblog.com/2006/08/19/class-action-lawsuit-against-sony-for- green-haze-or-green-blob-sxrd-problem/
also, here is the notice that sony placed on their site.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=KDSR60XBR1&news_id=185

Username: Dave_carney

I have a KDF42WE655 manufactured 09/2004, purchased 10/2004 and blue blobbed for the first time today. I'm glad I found this web page! My letter to Sony is going out in tomorrows mail. I was very happy with this TV until today. :-(

How's the overall quality of the picture (aside from the blue blob being fixed) after the optical block is replaced? Reading the SXRD thread, those folks aren't too happy. I'm hesitant to to put a dime into this thing now. Who makes a quality set where the bulb lasts too? I'm still on my first bulb in the Sony, which is pretty good, didn't realize the rest of the set was a throw away deal though.

I just had my optical block on my KF50WE610 replaced for the second time! The picture quality is great, but the first optical block repair only lasted 5 months for me! I spoke to sony again on this issue and the fact that my tv has been repaired 5 times over the 3 1/2 years since I bought it. The sony rep said "well, it sounds like there is a problem with your tv" I said "No, really?!" Still, they are not willing to do anything for me. I think my next step will be to have my attorney call them.

Wow. That's not good! I called the local authorized service center. They are short handed right now and will call me later.

Here's my update. I have the blue blob problem. Sony agreed to pay for labor. It's been about a month and the TV repair shop is still waiting for the part. I was told there is about 500 units of optical blocks on back order and I should get the part by mid May. Obviously, these optical blocks are going bad left and right.

Westville, Il USA

Well,, I talked to Sony today.They agreed to pay for light engine and I pay labor.Even though this is not exactly what I want, it is a great start. Now I can get my set fixed for 250 instead of 1100 to 1500 dollars.I believe all this is thanks to the people in here that have worked so hard to get this resolved and I thank you all so much.If Sony decides to pay the labor soon, I will be one of the first people to spread the word. Again, thank you

Correction. I posted that Sony will pay for labor. That was a mistake. They will pay for part only.

That's crazy that you are waiting so long for the part! I reported my optical block problem to sony on April 21, and the part (the light engine)was in and the tv was fixed on April 30th.

Username: Patrebel

Hello All,

I wanted to update everyone on my battle with Sony. In Feb they agreed to review my Issues with the blue blob. In March they agreed to supply the parts, but I had to pay the labor.
While I was not real happy, In many cases I felt that this was not fair for a TV that was over two years old, but something I could live with.

The Optic block was on back order and 60 days later my TV was repaired.

I will not suport Sony in the future.
PatRebel

Username: Steveinoc

re: KDF55WF655 Blue Blob problem
Purchased TV from Best Buy Nov 04.
About six months ago blue dots started appearing on screen. Contacted BB, no help. Contacted Sony,
no help. Wrote letter to Sony Executive Review
Committe and they agreed to pay for faulty optical block, but I am responsible for labor.
Agreed. I must commend Sony for stepping up to help solve problem.

Executive Review Committee
Sony Corporation
12451 Gateway Blvd
Fort Myers, Fl 33913

Enclose copy of purchase receipt and estimate or
receipt of repairs.Include event # if you have
contacted Sony Customer Service.

Good luck, Steve

It's interesting how different the settlement offers can be. I wrote a letter to the review committee, they called just now and offered a $300 allowance, which isn't even half the cost of the part. The csr was putting me on hold every time i asked a question, while somebody was spoon feeding him what to say. At least they responded in short order, even though it was woefully inadequate.

Titusville, Fl USA

Received a call today from Sony in response to my letter mailed to the ERC, they agreed to cover the cost of the OB - $525, leaving me with a labor charge of $325...acceptable and consistent with other owners. Thanks everyone, I believe everyones efforts have been a major reason (if not the reason) that Sony is helping out...power in numbers.

Username: Dalef

Long Island, NY USA

Model: KDF-55WF655
Purchase Date: 6/14/05
My Problem: 2/1/07. Noticed pink dot in the middle of the TV screen. Now I have additional light pink dots scattered around. I also have yellow clouds at the top of the screen. No extended warranty.

I first went on this Message Board to see if other people have experienced the same problems I am having with our TV. Since I've been reading all these messages, I feel like my head is going to explode. My problem seems insignificant in comparison to the problems other people are experiencing. My husband says he barely notices the pink dots and yellow clouds, but it bothers me a lot especially if I am viewing the screen with a light background. Now I am concerned about fixing my problem if a new optical board is just a band-aid. My sister had an old Sony Trinitron TV that is 20 years old. Based on its brand reputation, I bought a Sony TV. It is so very disappointing that the Sony brand is worthless now.
I'm not sure if my problem is the optical block issue everyone is talking about. I had called Sony Customer Service in February, and I was told that if it is the optical block, Sony will pay for it, but if it is not, I will have to pay. What I don't understand is why Sony is not paying some people for parts and labor to fix their TVs when it is written in black and white on their website, "Sony will cover the cost of the optical block repair at no charge through September 30, 2007." If the optical block is defective there should be no reason why we should have to pay for labor. My husband is going to our local Sony authorized service technician on Friday to see what can be done.
Thanks to everyone for keeping on top of this problem.

Username: Primogirl

My KDP-57XBR2 has developed a problem. It started with a black border all the way around the picture. It was as if the picture had shrunk. On the edges it looked like the colors did not line up and the top and the bottom tended to taper at the ends. It was as if it was swollen in the middle but the picture did not reach the edge of the set by an inch or so. The picture continued to shrink and move toward the bottom of the screen. And finally within a few days the picture disappeared all together.

We called a service guy out who said it was the power supply. We ordered the power supply and had a friend replace it, but there is no change at all.

The power indicator light comes on red and flashes 7 times, but other than that, there is no indication of anything getting power. The tubes are completely off, no sound, nothing.

Since replacing the power supply did not help, can anyone suggest what the problem may be?

Well, I fixed mine tonight myself with a rebuilt optical block from Tristate module. Soup to nuts cost $400, took me about 3.5 hours (struggled for 45 minutes trying to get the rca connectors module to slide in that last half inch). I'm faxing Sony the part bill even though they probably won't pay a dime. I can't understand the wheel of misfortune method they use to determine coverage. That ain't right.

Username: Blueblobwega

Hats off to David Carney for the "wheel of misfortune" comment.

You nailed it!

Username: Cj8718

Walla Walla, WA Walla Walla

KF-42WE610, SN: 9119996.

Built March, 2004. Purchased November, 2004.

Blue-blob issue cropped up December 2006. Seller wouldn't help, called Sony and neither would they.

I used to look to Sony for any electronics purchase. This customer-service experience is an eye-opener and has changed my buying habits.

Username: Dsullo

What screen cleaners do you guys recommend to safely clean my Wega 50 inch tv (I believe my model number is KF-50WE610)
I just bought this product , but I want to be sure it is safe to use:

http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/products/sima/usc-1.html?id=4085&utm_source= yahoomarketing&utm_campaign=sima&utm_medium=ppc

Sony called and told me they will mail me a check for $300. If I get it, then that would be fair to me...although I still have to look at replacing this tv in the next 2 years before it blobs again.

Username: Gt8225

Add me to the list of "Blue Blog" victims.

Greg Turner
24091 Chadwick Drive
Athens AL 35613
256-230-1284

Purchased 12/29/2004
Model: KDF50WE655
Serial #: 9010135

I too will sent certified mail to the ERC.

Thanks for everyones post.

I was pretty much told by local repare shops that it would cost about as much to fix, as it would to buy a new one. Very Sad.

Upload
Upload

Username: Holmesmic

VA

Anyone who has received $ from Sony for blue blobs care to share a copy of the letter you sent to their review dept.?

I'm not sure what all I need to/should put in the letter to them.

Thanks in advance!!

Michelle - here is a copy of my letter

Dear Madam or Sir:

I am writing to you today to ask for your assistance in a matter that has troubled me for quite some time now. As a loyal Sony customer, I purchased a Sony television model # KDF55WF655, serial # 9004116 from Circuit City on November 11, 2004. It was a first major television purchase for myself and my new husband. I personally owned two (small) Sony televisions prior to this and grew up with a family who swears by Sony televisions. The television was fine for about a year but then the problem started. I started noticing blue spots on the television screen. Starting with maybe two or three tiny spots, a year and a half year later, it has spread to about 20% of the screen. The blue color blotches move to different areas on the screen and the problem is getting progressively worse. As I am sure you are aware, there have been similar problems with this particular model posted on numerous internet blogs by other customers. Unfortunately, I did not read the warnings in time.

Obviously, the television needs to be replaced or repaired immediately. I have contacted Precision Television in Concord, CA and was told the television has a bad light engine. The repair is estimated to cost $650.00 for parts and $250.00 for labor for a minimum total of about $900.00 given that no other problems are found. Don in the Sony Customer Service Center confirms that my television has a bad light engine when I explained the symptoms. My reference # for the call is XXXXXXX. Sony normally manufactures products of the highest quality and stands behind their products so I look forward to rectifying this situation with you as soon as possible. I look forward to hearing from you and can be contacted by mail, phone or e-mail.

Best Regards,

Shirlene Paulk

Nice Letter Shirlene.

Your approach is good, I would collect notes from this site to support your claim against them. It's hard to fight this kind of data. They might have released a number of TV's with a quality control issue. I don't think this has happened to everyone, it makes me wonder about the environments the TVs are in too.

Here is how mine is setup, and you will see it doesn't get dust or dirt flowing into the back, which might cause these issues?

I have read on this board that some people are getting the parts free or labor, but I would bet the farm they are doing a case by case review of these things, as it would cost far too much to recall every Sony WEGA sold.

http://www.tvl.com/sony/sony.JPG

Good luck with your situation.

Username: Slinke

This is a huge post, as I have tried to summarize a lot of previous posts on the blue haze/blob issue, and I tend to be thorough (perhaps too much so).

I own a Sony KDF-55WF655 rear-projection LCD TV purchased 12/2004. In April (2007), I noticed a roughly 8" circular blue haze in the lower-left of the display that was mostly restricted to the 4:3 viewing area. Subsequently, I have seen a similar blue haze along the bottom of the viewing area and elsewhere, including an area in the upper-left corner within the extended 16:9 viewing area. The original blue area in the lower-left has not disappeared, but it has moved a bit and spread out further, although not beyond the 4:3 viewing area. The other blue areas tend not to be consistent, sometimes disappearing. See the pictures at the end for examples.

The extended warranty expired 12/2006. Google searches for "Sony LCD blue spot" and "blue blob" revealed this forum, and it is clear that many are having the same problem in the same family of Sony LCD rear projection TVs.

After some testing with a homemade wide-screen DVD with different colored backgrounds, the blue color is not visible when the display is 100% black. It is very obvious, though, when it is 75% black/25% white. During viewing, it is particularly obvious and annoying during black-and-white scenes and on the ice during hockey games, but it is almost always noticeable.

I have compiled a list of over 40 people on this thread alone who have experienced a similar problem, and it is clear from previous posts that the problem is with the optical block/light engine, because its replacement fixes the problem. One thing common to most of the complaints is that the issue affects the same family of TVs that are covered by Sony's optical block warranty extension on what Sony is calling the "stationary scribble/random line" problem (also referred to as "road-mapping" by many people)--the 2003-2004 KF and KDF models (newer models may also be affected).

Another common element is that the issue seems to arise, on average, about two years after purchase. Although almost all people have reported a blue color, a few have reported other colors. Many have also reported that, over time, the issue progresses into the increasing appearance of bright blue dots, although mine has not done that (yet).

Pretty much everybody has reported that Sony refuses to extend the warranty on the optical blocks beyond the scribble issue to cover the blue haze problem, although various agreements have been reached, such as coverage of the part (but not the diagnosis or installation fee). In that respect, it is worth noting that Sony has issued a warranty extension on the optical block of its SXRD models KDS-R50XBR1 and KDS-R60XBR1 based on what most people call the "green blob" issue. Interestingly, one SXRD owner reported both green blobs and blue haze in an AVS forum.

I am trying to figure out the cause of these problems to determine whether the optical block just needs cleaning, or whether it needs to be replaced. In either case, I think we would all like and should expect Sony to fully cover the cost of the repair, as they have for the scribble and green blob issues, because this is clearly a manufacturing and/or engineering defect that affects a relatively large number of units.

To get a better handle on the situation, I am wondering whether anybody knows enough about the inner workings of the optical block to determine the cause of these problems. My understanding is that white light produced by the lamp goes through mirrors, beam splitters, and/or colored filters (red, green, and blue) onto three small LCD panels (one each for red, green, and blue, although the LCDs themselves are not colored) within the optical block. Then, mirrors combine the three colors of light, and the final image is projected onto the screen through a projection lens.

Some have suggested that the blue haze/blobs arises due to dust build-up in the optical block on some of the parts described above, since it is apparently not a sealed unit, and dust is sucked into the TV by the cooling fan. Lou58 on the AVS forums claims to have fixed a "blotch" problem on his KF-50WE610 by blowing compressed air into the optical block, although it is unclear whether he had the same problem (he included instructions and several interesting annotated pictures of the process he went through to do the cleaning):
Instructions
Additional photos

On the other hand, the bright blue pixels experienced by some, and the fact that some have reported limitation of the blue haze primarily in the 4:3 viewing area, seem to be inconsistent with the dust theory, although I am not sure about this. And others have suggested that even if the problem is related to dust, cleaning is not effective.

Still others have suggested that it is an overheating issue that is damaging components within the optical block, indicating that replacement is necessary. Justin Powers posted some pictures on another eCoustics forum showing apparent overheating in a Hitachi optical block that contained Sony parts that resulted in a blob. However, the blob was pink, and the optical block on the Hitachi seems to be completely different (sealed?), so I don't know how well this supports the theory. In any event, overheating may still be the problem.

Some questions:
- What are the actual parts in the KF/KDF optical blocks?
- Some pictures of the problem appear to contain very bright blue blobs around the edges of the screen, while others (such as mine) appear to contain a lighter blue haze in various areas. Are these problems the same?
- Is the blue haze/blob issue due to dust, overheating, another problem, or a combination of issues?
- Are the bright blue dots due to dust, overheating, another problem, or a combination of issues?
- Why is blue the predominant color seen (vs. green in the SXRDs)?
- Is the optical block technology in the SXRD TVs similar enough to the KF/KDF models that the green blob and blue blob/haze problems could be arising from the same manufacturing/design flaw? What was the issue that Sony acknowledged in the SXRD TVs?
- A few people have reported that the blue haze primarily appears within 4:3 viewing area. (Note, that I watch all 4:3 content in 4:3 rather than stretching it.) Is this a consistent observation, and could it reflect some sort of burn-in, even though Sony would claim that LCD TVs should not suffer from burn-in?
- The blue haze does not appear for me when the image is 100% black, and it appears when the image is not in color (e.g., black-and-white shows). Do others, particularly those with the bright blue blobs on the edges have a similar experience? Does this suggest a problem that arises from a certain cause and/or a specific part?
- Do the replacement optical blocks suffer the same problem, raising the question of whether it is worthwhile to fix (depending on the cost)?
- Can cleaning with compressed air be effective?
- Dave Carney just reported replacing the optical block himself with a rebuilt version from TriState Module. I thought it would be interesting to find out what the predominant repair is when they do the rebuilds of these units. I called them and asked them whether it was simply cleaning, or whether certain parts were replaced due to damage, but they could/would not provide an answer. Does anybody have an answer to this?

I am thinking of putting up a separate web site and compiling information from people with this problem.

Upload
Upload

Ha..yes, I asked Tristate before I purchased what they did to fix these and they would not discuss, and frankly, I don't blame them. Whatever it is, sure seems to work.

My blue blob infilitrated into all black areas.

Username: Dsmylski

Welland , Ontario Canada

I have a case of the blue blob. my sony model KF42WE620 was manf'd Oct 2004 and i purchased it May 2005 as a floor demo unit. replaced the bulb last fall and then the blue appeared. thought maybe i did something wrong installing the bulb. well after reading all this i no longer doubt myself. Sony on the other hand will need to do handsprings or something to keep me as a customer. is the optical block difficult to install or do i need a degree in electronics repair from Devry??? i read that dave carney replaced his with a degree of diffculty but once he got thru the unknown seemed to be ok on how it went. is it something i can attempt or should i let the "experts" do it????

Username: Slinke

Don Smylski and David Carney,

Lou58 posted some pictures and instructions on optical block replacement for a KF-50WE610 on an AVS forum (see link in my message above). I would be interested in hearing from David Carney on the difficulty level, and whether he followed Lou58's (or somebody else's) instructions, or whether it would have been easier with those instructions. Also, are there any additional tips that might be helpful.

When I called TriState Module, where David Carney obtained his rebuilt optical block, they said that they no longer have any in stock, and that I would have to send mine in for repair with an ~10 working day turnaround time. At $375 (if that is accurate), the price sounds pretty good, but things get a bit complicated.

Sony seems to be offering to pay for the optical block, but not labor. However, will they pay for the optical block if it was installed by the owner rather than a Sony authorized service provider? If not, and if the labor is less than $375, which seems to be the case in many instances, then one might be better off having it repaired by an authorized provider. First, you would not have to do the work yourself and risk damaging something else. And second, there would be some guarantee that the repair would work for at least a period of time, whereas if you fix it yourself, and something happens in a few weeks, you have little recourse.

What you're forgetting though Steve is there is no method to their madness, you don't know what you are going to get and at what point in the process you will get it. Although most everybody gets something, it varies widely from mine ($300) on the low end to credit toward a new TV on the high end. I self installed and that apparently did no disqualify me but that means nothing for the next guy.

Sony lists the optical block on their website at $1084, yet when they do a free one it's more like $575. Why the diff and which price will you get as the starting point for negotiation? Will you get any offer without holding a repair bill, or an estimate? No, probably not. Will they come back and fix it again in a few months if the repair does not hold? Questionable.

I didn't use any directions. Just started removing stuff and took half a dozen digital photos as I went so I could get the wire routing down correctly. My net out of pocket will be $100 including a service manual I ordered to get the part number and I didn't have to deal with a repairman in my house.

Post Number: 10
PS, as for degree of difficulty, that's really subjective. I've worked on computers before and this is certainly more difficult than that (more stuff, more little connectors, etc), on my own personal scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the most difficult, it was about a 7. There's certainly plenty of opportunity to mess up.

Username: Pezzuti9

Lehighton, PA USA

I purchased my Sony KDF 42WE655 LCD TV on 9/10/2005 and just started having truble with the blue haze across the bottom of the screen and at the lower right hand corner. It also turns itself back on after I have turned it off by itself. I was lucky to find this site.
I would also be interersted in a class action suit against Sony. I was always a Sony person cameras, vcr, Sony Viao PC, external pc hard drive, and etc. Considering buying a new hard drive Sony camcorder but now think of getting another brand based on what I have read on this forum.

As of yet I have not called Sony -- don't know weather it would do any good at this time because the waranty only covers for 1 year. Any advice on what I can do please let me know.
Thank you
Lou

Username: Nkrenz

Naples, Florida USA

I feel like I have just found my long lost family. We purchased our 42" WEGA in January 2004. It was about a year later that the flashing red lamp light raised it's ugly head and thanks to our extended warranty the lamp was replaced (after a 30 day wait).
Now, we have not one but two blue blobs..one smack dab in the middle of the screen, and a new one in the upper right corner. To further add to the irritation we also have 3 pixels burned out, also in the middle of the screen. I have scanned the 68 pages of similar complaints in this forum, and see that it is possible to get the repair covered by SONY. Our 3 year extended warranty expired in January 2007 and of course these new blob and pixel problems have all started after the warranty expired. Is there a phone number to call to register the problem? We also paid $2700 for the TV and now see the same ones at Best Buy for $900. Go figure. I feel that SONY is responsible with so many customers having the identical problem.....thanks to everyone for their input.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us