Mitsubishi VS459R (s)

Username: Oldtown

KENAI, AK United States

Post Number: 1
I live in 'The Bush' in Alaska, I am old, tired and my husband died. We bought a Mitsubishi VS459R (s) brand new many years ago. It worked fine for 2 years or so then we moved the TV. We were told the convergence was messed up, you can see same words on top of one another in a different color and a halo around the people. My Husband found out how to adjust it with the remote and would do so when we had a earthquake once or twice. Then he died. We have no TV tech. here to fix it so just turned it off and now it has sat for 15 years or so and I dust off the pretty Oak Cabinet and doors. I just turned it back on the other day and it still does the same thing. The sound is great, just picture has 'halo' or double vision around it. Someone told me I could fix it with the remote, but they do not know how. I checked Mitsubishi site they don't even list my TV. I wish I could watch TV. Does anyone have any idea how to adjust this convergence? Have patience with me and tell me most of the steps, maybe I can do it. I have the original remote and I am a little mechanical. Thanks Sandra

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1653
­
Sandra, how do know this is not a reception problem?
What antenna are you using?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1654
­
Sorry, I see now that your late husband could adjust it. I take it you do not have the owner's manual for this TV?

KENAI, AK United States

Post Number: 2
John, I do have the owners manual, but it gives no info on this convergence except call to have a Tech do it for you. It was in the days, I guess, it was a big secret how to to this, I understand the new TV manuals tell you how. Remember you can buy a baby chicken or gold fish 'real cheep' it is the food and fish bowl that costs lots, well this TV must have kept the Repair Tech fed.
Thanks Sandra

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1655
­
I sold many "big-screen" Mitsubishi TVs for a high volume retailer from 1979 to 1994 and I do not remember a single model that required a service call for a convergence adjustment. Not one. So I find it difficult to believe your model is so different from the units I remember.

Convergence has always been user adjustable via the remote control. OK, I know you say the owners manual is no help, but how do explain the reason why your husband figured it out? Was he a TV technician?

There's got to be some sort of convergence control within the TV's "Menu" system. Is there not a Menu button on your remote?
­

KENAI, AK United States

Post Number: 3
John, I am looking at my remote, it is the original, when I take the battery cover off the numbers on it are 939P11101 and 850722. Nowhere on the remote does it say what model number it is, but it is identified as Mitsubishi and came with the set when we purchased it. There is 'No' Menu button on the remote. When my husband fixed it two or three times was after we had a Tech. come out and charge us to reset the convergence. I was upset, that it kept costing us and the Tech told us the newer models could be set by the Owner. As I remember, all this happening, the Tech. fliped a button on the set controls and got some cross-hairs, then he punched some numbers in the remote and adjusted the cross hairs. The second or third time we paid him I said give us the numbers and how to do that, he showed my husband and said the newer sets don't work this way anymore.
There is NO Menu Button on the Set either. The controls on the set are in about 6 different blocks accross front behind a push panel. They are as follows. From each set of blocks from left to right, Main On/Off
R-POS-V; R-POS-H;
B-OS-V; B-POS-H
Then the arrow up to TEST On/Off. This is the switch you get the cross hairs from. When you push the Arrow ON/OFF button you get the cross hairs which shows you the color is off cause the lines dont match some colors vere from the cross hair about 1/8".
The rest of the Buttons are Bass-Treble-Balance,
Mono/Stero, Loudness On/Off, Audio Expansion,
Stero Sap.
The second set of buttons to the right of this above set are,
V Hold, Picture,Contrast,
Tint,Color,Brightness.
The 3rd set to the right are,
TV EXT1/Ext2, Quick view, Antenna A/B, Display.
The fourth set to right are
Fine Tune, Auto/Manual - +.
The fifth set is
Skip Write/Erase
Write Erase .
The 6th set is,
Cable/TV , Time Set Hr/Min.
All of these sets are in blocks from left to right with this writing to the extreme right of the first set above.
The remote is layed out as such: Left to right VCR/TV Power
1 2 3 Quick View
456 Vol up
789 Vol Down
arrow down 0 arrow up mute
off timer, stero/sap, ant a/b display
reset, bright,expand
color
reset
tint
tv, ext 1 ext 2
and then the VCR info, at bottom.
I hope this helps you. Do you have any other ideas, I tried the Dealer where we bought it but the Tech said he had no info anymore.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Sandra

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1656
­
Thanks Sandra...after doing more research I now know that this is one set that didn't offer user settable convergence. It turns out that I have the exact same remote that came with a Mitsubishi 26" direct view tube set manufactured in April 1986. The tuner is shot on this TV, but the set is still usable by using the tuner of a VCR via the TV's EXT 1 input. By the way, if you are curious the date of manufacture should be on a sticker somewhere on the back of your TV.

Obviously the big difference between my and your TV is the "TEST" along with the "R-POS-V; R-POS-H; B-POS-V; B-POS-H" buttons which are not on my TV. In practice, the green cross stays stationary while the red and green crosses are moved so they are in regester with the green. A successful adjustment will yield a white cross. Exactly how this is done on your TV is unknown to me. I suspect that once the cross hatch is up you press R-POS-V for example, then you move the red cross right or left by pushing and holding one of two buttons on the channel number grid on the remote. It also could be the channel up and down buttons. Then you repeat the process with the other three buttons. I doubt whether there is a specific number that should be punched in as these crosses don't normally move in notches, but rather they move continuously.

Apparently, there are service manuals still available that will surely tell you how to adjust convergence. Such as:

http://www.mikesmanuals.com/Details.php?ID=941
­

Username: Mikebrain

Boston, Mass Usa

Post Number: 1
hi... the r/h and the r/v stands for red horizontal and red vertical.. the b/h and the b/v are blue horizotal and blue vertical you want to hold the buttons one at a time so that the proper line will line up to the cross in the middle of the screen.. if you hold the r/v you will see the red line move left or right across the grid cross.. center it. then the blue vertical .. you should see it move across and center it.. the same goes with the h/r h/b.. horizontal.. the red or blue will now move up and down.. center these and you should be all set.. good luck.. mike
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us