Samsung HL-P5085W picture problems

Username: Fsafadi

Post Number: 1
I couldn't find an existing thread for this issue:
My 2.5 year old 50in HLP5085W Samsung started displaying multi-colored horizontal lines all over the screen. They are not continuous, and seem to be grouped into small squares.
These artifacts appear regardless of input source, or resolution. The only remedy appears to be turning off the TV for a variable period of time.
The phenomena does return, at varied times.
I checked the lamp life and it is at 7800 hours, I was not aware that the lamp can cause such distortion, could it?
There is no sound at all from the colorwheel.

I opened up the back of the unit, found some dust but nothing excessive.
The audio does continue during these problems, no distortion of the sound quality at all.
The problem started about 2 weeks ago, and it appears to be increasing in frequency.

I replaced the lamp just in case. Looked around in there and checked if any accessible parts/cables need re-seating.
Problem continues.
Called local Samsung tech, he seems lost, suggests changing the "engine".
I am not a TV technician, but what bothers me about the problem is that it is intermittent.
It also persists if I change the the input on the TV, and it has manifested while using my component input from the Satelite receiver, or using my composite inputs from my Nintendo Wii.
There are cases where the problem will start, then go away, and then come back again.
When the TV is working fine, the picture is stunning.Thanks for your help.
Upload

Username: Fsafadi

Post Number: 2
Samsung local tech came out and for $50 told me they think it's the DMD board, and if that doesn't work then it's the engine.
Hardly sounds like worth the trouble. I couldn't find any reasonable prices on a 5085 board (BP96-00696A), does anybody know of a good place to get one?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us