DLP vs LCD vs Plasma

Gold Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1390
I'm going to be buying a TV soon and wanted to know which is better to get. The TV will be used half and half for sports and movies. What are the dangers of getting each? Plasma can burn out? Any drawbacks about DLP TVs? How about LCD? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 180
You mean burn in and not burn out. There is no risk unles you kleave static images on the display for long periods of time.

LCDs have motion blur most notable in sports due to delayed refresh rates relative to plasma and CRT televsions.

DLP displays have varying degrees of color inaccuracies depending on the exact technology deployed.

Plasmas aer prone to glare when placed in direct light in a room or even in a bright room with windows with indirect light.

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1391
Sounds like plasma is the way to go since placement is something I can correct. Any recommendations on a 720P plasma TV? I want a 50" and for $1,500 or less. What are the best brands and models? Thanks again.

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 181
Panasonic for 1500 or less 50 inch industrial model. Check visualapex.com via the avsforum sponsor links at the top of their pages.

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1392
Based on all reviews and specs I've gone through, Panasonic TH-50PX600U seems like the best choice for about $1500...does this sound good to you? I also can't find the response time for it anywhere. What do you think of Philips 50PF7321D? It has 3ms response time, which is the best I've seen, but haven't seen too many reviews about it. Thanks!

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 182
Panasonic Plasma refresh rates are at 2 msec, as are most plasmas these days actually. AS long as you are below four ( or at 4) its all good.

I think the current models are the next one beyond the 600U. I think they are cheaper too.

You can check reviews on the consumer versions from the same year. The glass and electronics are essentially identical. Just no tuner and no internal speakers in the profesional model.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us