Viewsat ultra missing some of 61.5 channels

Bronze Member
Username: Dghumman

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 89
i have bought a new viewsat ultra and i am missing somee indian channels they are scaned and signal strength is good 80 but the quality ia 0 and it says searching signal what should i do please help, i had fortec ultra and all the channels were working so please help

Bronze Member
Username: Therepo

Ftaview.com

Post Number: 48
Maybe try loading satinfo file that includes 61.5.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 91
i have tried that i dont know whether this is a problem i have 3 dished 119,110 and 61.5 but the ports on the 2 receiver are different.
should the ports of both the recivers and dishes be same

Gold Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 9956
U need to learn how to use the Ultra..basically all FTA receivers work on the same principle and are hooked up the same way with cable and port switches, and input/outputs on back of receivers, but each has its own remote and are different files..go to the Viewsat special site and read the Ultra manual..

www.totalfta.com

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 92
i have read and know how to use the ultra, i have set up everything as needed but still have the problem. i have a problem with 119 and 110 i can watch 119 but to watch 110 i have to go into the antenna setup and change diseq port once and back and i get the quality otherwise i have the signal strength of 80 but quality is 0 please help.

Bronze Member

Ftaview.com

Post Number: 55
Damindar, you should state what type of LNBs you are using, what switch, and post your antenna menu settings for 61.5.

If you have to toggle the switch it could be faulty or even too far from this STB.

And what did you mean "the ports on the 2 receiver are different"?

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 93
therepo i have digiwave dual lnb and now after fixing the different ports i am getting 61.5 nicely but 110 is the problem i have to go to the anteena set up and change the port and go back to the same port to get quality and then the quality is really good 85 but if i am watching 61.5 and want to watch 110 then there is good signal but the quality is 0.

my switch is also digiwave, if u think my switch is faulty please let me know or any info that u can give me to correct my problem that would be nice

Gold Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 9983
For $5, replace the switch and weatherproof it, and ensure u have the correct dish/antenna config in your receiver settings..

Bronze Member

Ftaview.com

Post Number: 56
Can you tell me what ports your LNBs go to on your switch (4x1 diseqc?) and how you have the ports set in your menus for 119, 110, 61.5.

You can test your switch also, line direct from LNB, use a short cable from switch to receiver. Try all the ports (moving the cable to each, and switch using the receiver--unplug your box each time your connecting!). If the switch works near to your receiver, the run might be too long and the diseqc commands are having a hard time getting to the switch. If it's not switching when you're testing near the receiver, then there's your problem.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 94
therepo 119 goes to port 2, 110 goes to port3 and 61.5 goes to port 4 and i have set up the same in my menus.

the switch is not far from the receiver it probably only 8 feet from the reciver.

i also have a new viewsat diseqc should i use it or buy a new one from the market and if i need to buy a new one please tell me which switch is compatible with viewsat

Bronze Member

Ftaview.com

Post Number: 58
If you're not using a twin LNB, you can hook them up to any port on the diseqc (as you have). If you're using a DP twin for 119/110, you have to use ports 1 and 2 on the diseqc.

If you have another switch there, yes! test it out. See if it cures your problem. Any diseqc will work with any receiver (more or less). They're all pretty crappy. Chieta heavy duty ones are probably the best, but just use what you have there, see if it works.

To test a switch (and other info on diseqcs), see this c/p below (from Tyson @ F2a):
c/p
Facts about DiSEqC switches:
DiSEqC switches use 1.0 or 2.0 software, there is no difference between the switching commands in these 2 versions, they both use DiSEqC 1.0, so that is what you will use.
DiSEqC 1.1 (uncommitted) is for a special kind of DiSEqC switch, this 4x1 switch costs $70, on sale, so trust me you don't have one of these switches, so you don't need to use DiSEqC 1.0/1.1

DiSEqC switches can be a problem, the majority are made to sell at a low price and the quality control reflects this.
Chieta Heavy Duty switches seems to be the exception this.

DiSEqC switches are also very sensitive to power spikes, when you add or remove a cable from a DiSEqC switch this causes a power spike and this will damage the DiSEqC switch usually the first time it happens, so you don't get a "do over" with these switches.

So ALWAYS unplug ALL receivers from power when servicing a DiSEqC switch, using the ON/OFF switch on the back of the receiver is the same as unplugging it from power, turning off the receiver with the remote or front panel button is NOT the same.

A damaged DiSEqC switch will pass the signal on LNB1 port only, which tricks you into thinking the switch is working, but you can test for this.

Testing a DiSEqC switch, or any switch for that matter, can/should be done inside.

Turn off all receivers, using the switch on the back, unplug any sub boxes connected to the same dish you will be using.

Connect the cable going to your test receiver directly to a working LNB.
Turn receiver back on and select that satellite/LNB then see what your Signal and Quality levels are, write down those two numbers.
(you must have a high signal and quality level to do this test)

Turn receiver off using switch on the back, ALWAYS.

Disconnect the LNB cable from LNB IN port on receiver.
Connect the DiSEqC switch to the LNB IN port on the receiver using a short piece of cable.
Connect the LNB cable to LNB1 port on the switch.

Turn receiver back on and select the same satellite/LNB as before.

Use
DiSEqC 1.0
committed 1 (or port 1)

You should have signal and quality levels matching or just slightly less than before.
If you have no or low signal and quality then either the short cable your using is bad or the switch is.
If the quality drops 20-30 points then switch is bad.
If receiver shuts off on its own then cable or switch has a short, check or use different cable and retest.

If Signal and Quality are ok, then shut off receiver using switch on the back.
Move LNB cable to LNB2 port on the switch.
Turn receiver back on and select same sat/LNB as before

Change setting to
DiSEqC 1.0
committed 2 (or port2)

You should see Signal and Quality come back up, in some models you have to "save changes" before it will send the new DiSEqC switch command.

If you don't get Signal and Quality back then switch is bad, a bad DiSEqC switch will pass a signal on the LNB1 port but not on any of the others.

If Signal and Quality come back, turn off receiver using switch on the back.

Move LNB cable to LNB3 port on DiSEqC switch.
Turn receiver back on.

Change setting to
DiSEqC 1.0
committed 3 (or port3)

Check signal and Quality levels.

Repeat for LNB4 port, shutting off receiver, moving cable and changing settings to

DiSEqC 1.0
committed 4 (or port4)

Once you have tested all your switches, you can move the DiSEqC switch out to the dish(receiver powered off!) and connect all the LNBs up to it.
Then power on the receiver and do your settings to match how YOU connected the LNBs to the switch.
Once you have the settings done, turn all receivers back on and try switching between sats/LNBs if you are still having a problem then you will need to ground all receiver cables to a common ground point, even if you only have 1 receiver you may have to ground the cable.
The cables from the DiSEqC switch to the LNBs can also be the source of grounding issues, loose connectors = intermitant trouble.

DiSEqC switches also don't like cable runs longer than 50ft to the switch, this can often be the source of the problem, using a Chieta DiSEqC switch can solve this problem in most cases.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 95
therepo thanks for the info i will try this and see if it works, thanks for the help i will try and let u know if it works
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us