Tinny sound on Vizio HDTV

Username: Ad_in_lancaster

Lancaster, Pa. USA

Post Number: 2
I've got a new 42-inch Vizio LCD HDTV and the sound is very tinny and raspy. We're talking non HD programming here. Lots of "ssss" sounds almost to the point of distortion. It's quite annoying and to the point, especially it seems when playing DVDs, that I can't follow the dialogue sometimes. Is this just a generic problem with what I've bought or is there something I can try? Would adjusting the treble help? I have both treble and bass set very high. Switching from stereo to mono doesn't seem to help. Could I have any of the cables switched? I'm using component cable from the DVD player to the TV. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 112
component cables carry video signals only. The audio is carried by the typical L/R (red & white) audio cables. It is doubtful you have the cables connected wrong. So, you should have 5 cables coming from your DVD, 3 component cables (R-B-G) and 2 audio cables (R-W)

First thing to try is to back your audio settings down. With both the bass and treble set high, you are probably over driving the small built in speakers in the TV. Start from a 1/4 position and slowly move up as you listen to source material. You will not get any real improvement in sound once you pass the 1/2 point.

Remember, your TV was never meant to be a high end audio system. Good audio comes from a separtate A/V receiver and speakers, or at a minimum, a decent "theater in a box" audio system. (I personally much prefer the receiver and separate speaker systems, even if you put together a system of relatively low priced components)

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1598
­
Good points there Martin. My three month old Vizio 37" LCD has more than adequate audio. Not great of course, but I don't have a problem with dialogue.

However I know there have been some serious complaints about the audio (and other things) on some Vizios. Makes me wonder about their quality control.

Ad Crable, if you still have a problem after following Martin's suggestions, I think it's time for an exchange at the store you got it from.
­

Username: Ad_in_lancaster

Lancaster, Pa. USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks Martin and John. Martin, your advice seems to have hit the nail on the head. After turning back the treble and bass settings I had at full blast, the sound is fine. Thanks for caring.

Silver Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 114
Glad it worked. My Vizio VX32L came with the factory audio presets on the "high" side and I backed them off and have enjoyed very good sound from the TV. Of course it is still much better when I play it through my sound system, but usually that is on movies or concerts, not regular television shows (just too lazy to get up and switch on the A/V receiver - - sad, I know)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us