Samsung DLP turns off by itself

Username: Terhok

Walker, LA Usa

Post Number: 8
It has started to just turn off in the middle of a program. The tv has not been on long either. Anyone else have this problem?

Bronze Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 38
terhok,
Your problem is either your lamp or your ballast. When was the last time you changed your bulb? What is the model number of your TV?

Your fist best bet is to buy a bulb to see if it fixes it, if not you dont lose much because you ALWAYS need a backup..

My recommendation as usual is discount-merchant.com... Here is the link to the lamp that would most likely fit your tv:
http://www.discount-merchant.com/Philips-Lamp-Adapter-Convert-your-your-DLP-p/ne w_samsung_plus_pla.htm

Gold Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1071
The set heats up...
The plastic cabinet expands, creeks, pops...
The lamp hatch door switch trips...
Open and tightly close the hatch door.

There is a service fix for this condition.

If this doesn't work...try your spare lamp first, then worry about the ballast last.

Good luck!

Username: Terhok

Walker, LA Usa

Post Number: 9
The model no. is HLS5686WX/XAA and I've only had the TV about one year. I've never changed the bulb.

It's only happened a couple of times - weird.

Username: Dash2110

Post Number: 1
I stumbled upon this thread and I've been having the same problem myself.

I bought my TV last october. I noticed after a few weeks of owning it, the TV would just turn off on it's own (and making the chime noise as if it's been turned off properly). I called Samsung and a repairman came out and replaced the lamp. Problem solved...

Until about a week ago. Now, the TV turns off on it's own, but does NOT make the "chime" noise. When I go to turn it back on, the screen turns "on", but there is no video. There is also a fairly-loud buzzing noise which goes on for a few seconds, before the video finally comes on and everything is back to normal. One theory I had was that this may be the result of some sort of "brownout" occurring for me, since this coincides with everyone in my apartment complex running their ACs due to the summer. Though I doubt it could be this as I have a lamp which showed no signs of a brownout and was playing xbox on one occasion with no ill effects to the console.

Is this most likely the same problem discussed earlier in the thread? I love my TV but I've already had to replace a lamp once and I hate to think I have to call them again. Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 41
Joseph,
The loud buzzing noise could be the Ballast. The ballast is the part that connects to the actual bulb. Samsung TV's ballasts seem to fail frequently due to power outtages in the standard household. Before you go out and change the ballast, you should take off your back cover and use a vaccum head or canned air to clean your Fans and dusty areas on your lighting engine.. See if the problem persists... Sometimes that buzzing noise is a dirty fan. And the video comming on late is due to a worn out ballast or lamp.

Username: Dash2110

Post Number: 2
ovadoggvo,

Thanks for the quick response...I'll definitely try your suggested remedy, and if it persists, I'll look into getting the ballast replaced. Thanks again!

Username: Iscabittle

New Port Richey, Florida USA

Hi FYI and gang,

HL-P5063W out of warranty. . .Same symptoms as everyone else. . ."Lamp" light flashes, PS switching, cycles 3 times and shuts down!. . .then all 3 lights flash! Samsung said is lamp, local auth service said same, so $200 later nothing changed. . .then Samsung said is balast, local guru said same and sold me one for another $100. . .to no avail! called "Exec Care" and they should be called "Don't care"! So $300 later same symptoms. . .please help!!!

Username: Ebart

Escondido, CA United States

I have the HL-P5063W and had the loud pop, followed by the picture going red and a loud whirring noise, then the TV shutting off, followed finally by the dreaded "3bl". I replaced the lamp and nothing. Then researched nd found a link on replacing the color wheel. Mde sense, but just in case, bought a ballast, also. I'm expecting the 2 in the mail, but in the mean time, started nosing around inside and pulled the color wheel out. Surprise, one to the color sections shatterred. Problem found (hopefully). Will post results after part comes in.

FYI, the HL-P5063W was so easy to pull the color wheel out. A lot easier than previous models.

Username: Franko8400

Niwot, CO

Similar symptoms as above except that I did replace the bulb and was good for a week or so and then the set flashed bright white and the 3 blinking lights started after cycling through 3 resets. Unplugged the set and tried again and finally it came on but only lasted a few minutes. The same sequence happened (3 resets then the 3bls). Unplugged but to no avail. I reset the bulb and tried again but again to no avail. This was a week or so ago. I have been trying to go through the resets, unplugging and so forth but the set will only stay on for a few minutes. No buzzing or other weird noises. I have a service call in but they can not come out for a week. Any ideas???
Frank

Username: Pcparts1001

Post Number: 3
The 3 blinking lights can either be Bad Bulb or Bad Balast for the bulb. If your tv cuts off by itself and you can turn it right back on with no problems, open your lamp door and make sure the switch is in the down position, NOT THE UP POSITION.

Niwot, CO

The current condition of my HLP-5063 is that it will no longer show any picture. I get sound during the three resets but then it shuts down. I tried resetting the lamp a number of times but it does not seem to have any affect. This new lamp is less then a couple of weeks old.
Frank

Post Number: 4
do you get any error codes Frank?

Niwot, CO

Not sure how the error codes present themselves. Beeps, flashing lights or some tech menu?
Frank

Post Number: 5
your balast could be bad. It is the power supply for the lamp and it would give the same error codes for a bad lamp

Niwot, CO

I spoke with the service tech who will be coming this week and they seem to know their stuff. Guess I will see first hand how they do. Will let you know what the outcome is. Seems that it may be weeks before I really have confidence that the set is truly fixed given the failure rates after they are serviced.
Frank

Niwot, CO

I have read on this forum that if you register your new bulb replacement that you can get a 15 month warranty. How can you do this and is it only for bulbs purchased from Samsung?
Frank

Niwot, CO

Post Number: 6
Well the service person spent an hour with my set and troubleshot the problem very systematically. He knew almost immediately it was an issue with the color wheel and associated board. He tried a few easy things to see if it would pop on but to no avail. Finally agreed to order a whole new "engine" if the warranty folks would approve it which they did. It will take about a week to get it in and then I need to schedule another service call. I normally do not buy electronic warrantees but I got sold on this one due to the fact that I could get 2 free bulbs over the five year period and it costs less then the than costs for 2 bulbs. I just lucked out as the "engine" is about $600 and then his time. No cost to me!
Frank O.

Username: Thehappymic

Harrisburg, PA USA

I have a HLR4667WAX/XAA. Bought it about a year ago. My screen started getting all frazzled and my lights started lighting up. After researching it, came to the conclusion that I needed to change my bulb. Which I did. Now though, when I plug in my TV it turns on and off automatically every 3 seconds or so. It will continue to do that until I unplug it. After about 5 or 6 cycles it stops making the chime noise. I do get a live feed from the cable when it turns on for about 2 seconds, than the screen freezes, than it turns off. Over and over again.

Please help!!

Username: Radiopete

My name is Peter Dubinski. The TV is Samsung Model # HLN5065W1XAA, Serial # 38473CEX30333H purchased approximately 3 years ago. I have just replaced the lamp last month (second time in three years), and now this problem has started to occur. I would appreciate your help in solving this problem.

When the set is turned on after approx. 45 min the picture freezes to black and white pixels. Fans, lamp and sound are all still running. The beam that is projected through the color wheel starts out with colors like a rainbow and the picture is perfect, but when the picture freezes to black & white pixels the beam turns gray. The fans and lamp are still on after this happens. After a while you can hear a click from the chassis and 10 seconds later the set shuts down. I know there is protection built into the set which is a good thing.

I cleaned out the fans to remove any dust that might be restricting air flow when I replaced the lamp last month. Then after a month the above problem started. I had a service man came to the house and he didn't even look inside the set, he said it's the digital board and it would be $500 for the board and $300 to install.

I am an electrical eng. and I can do the install myself. He didn't even open the set up and this bothered me, so I purchased a new digital board from Samsung parts for $300 plus shipping. This did not fix the problem. I am thinking it could be the color wheel even though it is not making any noise, but I am not sure. I checked the fans and they are all running with no change in speed and there is no noise coming from them. I would appreciate any kind of help with this problem.

Thank you for your time and help with this problem.

Thank you,
Peter Dubinski
www.powbat.com

Post Number: 8
Did you replace the digital board or the DMD board? It sounds like a DMD board problem to me, I work for Samsung.

The description on the part sold to me was ASSY PCB MISC-DIGITAL part # BP94-02145A.

Thank you

Yeah thats the digital. The DMD board is about $700, I just checked on it. And thats what the problem sounds like where it is coming from.

Thank you. like I said the serviceman didn't even open the set up and said he was 100% positive that is is the digital board. From what I have been reading these sets have had a lot of problems with them from the light eng, color wheel, fans, ballast, digital board and DMD board. My set is now unusable. Is there anything that Samsung will do for this being that it is a known problem. Why couldn't it have just been the color wheel. Thank you for your help with this.
Thank you,
Peter

Post Number: 10
If it is out of warranty it is on you to fix. You can search for a DMD board on ebay to maybe find one used for cheap or another dlp broken on ebay or other sights like craigslist.

DMD Part# BP96-00249B

That is what I figured. Thank you for all your time and help with this. Where did you find it for $700 ouch? I will try to find it first then if to no sucess I would like to contact the source you mentioned. I want to thank you again for all your help with this.
Have a great day.
Thank you,
Peter

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
there is one on ebay right now for $650.00. My price was from Samsung themselves.

Thank you

Username: Buell64

Colorado Springs, Co United States

Hi, You guys seem to be really knowledgeable about service on these TV's. I have a Samsung DLP model HLR6768W and all I get on it is three blinking lights, it seems to try and start 3 times before I get these lights but then that is all I get. The issue arose when the TV was on and a burst washing machine feed hose dripped water on the set. By the time I got the water turned off I noticed there was a drip out of the register above the TV, not allot of water got on it but it was enough to cause the issue. The water dripped to the left of center as you look at the TV and on the back angle of the set. The TV must have failed as I was scrambling to figure out what that noise was upstairs.
My question is how catastrophic may this be? Is it possible a drip got on the hot bulb and fried it or is there other parts so sensitive to water I have a huge issue.
I know it is hard to answer a general question but I am very mechanically able and looking for a little direction.

Thanks in advance!

Username: Nayan

Have you reseated the lamp? Try this...Some times the connector is not being connected well and don't make the full connection.

Also try reopening the cover and putting it back, maybe the sensor for the lamp cover is not fully pressed in.......

LCD/DLP Projection Tv's issue guide

Username: Imaan

I have Panasonic PT-52LCX15B. The picture was getting dark day by day. Then once got flickers on the screen and it turned black.

Tech person replaced the lamp. Its been 7 months gone and its working really cool now.

Rear Projection Tvs and Electronics

Username: Chiroguydc

Hello all,

I have a 2-year-old HLP6163 61" DLP and the system "randomly" shuts off on its own with no warning and no chiming, just quietly hums to a stop. The standby light shows up as if I've turned the set off.

When I turn the system back on, green lamp light blinks about 10 times, a greenish tinted screen appears for about 2-3 seconds, then the picture flashes back on and looks just fine, as if nothing had happened.

This has happened more frequently as each day passes. It's been going on for about two months now. Sometimes it happens 6 times in an hour, sometimes I can go two hours without it occurring.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this? I've read your posts about faulty lamps and ballasts and the back cover heating up and expanding, but I'm just not sure what it could be!

Thanks in advance!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1802
­
The first step for all of you is to make sure there's no fluorescent light nearby. These type of lights tend to trip the infra-red sensors on many TVs.

Username: Peter123

Hi there,
I have HLM 507W. It's beed few days that the TV turns off by itself and bliking temp light. After 5-10 minutes, temp light stop blinking so, I turned the TV back on and few minutes later, TV turned off again. So, I opened the back and cleaned both fan. Now the temp light blinks all the time and I can not turn on the TV even I tried to unplug and plug back, it still blinks.

Please give me advise.
Thanks.

Username: Crazysaguaro

Chandler, AZ USA

FYI, I had this same original problem with the TV turning off - sometimes 1-3 times a day. It was driving me nuts. FYI, your solution was right on - the door where the bulb is must not have been closed tight enough. I opened it, reseated the door, and screwed it down tight. Voila! This is day 5 without one turn off yet. :-)

Username: Warlockxx

UK

I have a Samsung SP50LHX that is two years old.

I changed the bulb about 8 months ago and light output is good, but the set has started switching the picture off for no reason.

The lamp is still on and the tv is still on - just no picture - no lights or warnings or anything.

If I switch the set off it will switch back on with a picture but cycles the grapchic three times instead of once as normal.

Any ideas?

Username: Awolf3

Hi,
I have a HLN5065WX1/XAA. I have bought the tv back in January used, the previous owner said that the screen had been replaced, but I don't remember him saying anything about the lamp. The problem is this: Since the tv was returned to me about 3 weeks ago (friend had it over the summer, said no problems), it will shut off on its own. This can happen after many (6 or more) hours or more recently a couple minutes. The only diagnostic light that ever blinks is the lamp one when I first turn it on. The options screen says that there are 3110 hours on the lamp. I had someone come look at it and he recommended a new lamp and ballast. I only paid $700 for the tv and I am not sure if I should pay nearly $400 for the parts. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Username: Aseem

I have a 43" Sony Brevia. Got the same situation while watching Tv suddenly the Picture got off. Called the Tech person, He checked and found out the lamp is bad. Its been 5 months have gone after replacing the Lamp. its working good. The picture quality is good.

Username: Seaweb

I had a problem with my 46" sammy shutting down by itself for a 3 month span. Sometimes 10 times a day driving me crazy. I decided to take the cover off and clean it all out thinking it might be getting hot but just reseating the lamp and retightening the cover fixed things for me. 3000 more hours on that bulb. Just blew the bulb and reset timer at 10,000 plus hours.

Username: Pcp

Brossard, Quebec Canada

Hi,
May be somebody could help me.Before Xmass
my TV start to shutt down more often then usual ( no light but having sound )2 to 3 time
a night.
I decided to change the lamp that I bought few mounth ago went that shutt down start to happind( usualy once a week ).
Now it' been OK for a mounth no shutt down,picture a bit brithter
than before but the first lamp was still in good condition
before the lamp change.
Last night and the night before the shut off
start again .Could it be that the ballast board has to be change or something else.Any clue Anybody

nb: 4 years old model,56 inches
Bright picture
Color perfect
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us